Backup Camera: Camera UnAvailable Error
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Backup Camera: Camera UnAvailable Error

So my 2015.5 S60 was at Volvo a few weeks ago for the "Camera Unavailable" issue. Initially, the dealership diagnosed the problem as requiring a software update. For a week or 2, everything appeared fine and then the problem returned. At random intervals (I believe the cold weather might be a motivating factor?. I.E. Short + Moisture?) the Backup Camera fails to initialize. Hitting Camera Prompts an Error: Camera Unavailable. Also, going into reverse fails to engage the camera. Only turning off the vehicle and letting it recycle seems to correct the issue.

While the Dealership has been unable to replicate or fault trace the problem, a new camera has been ordered under the guise that there's some sort of hardware failure taking place. The dealership saw the video I took as evidence of the issue. While Parked... Camera Unavailable if hitting Camera. While in Reverse, Camera fails to Engage.

Has anyone else ever experienced a similar problem? What was the fix? I'll get a new camera in a week as the part is on order.

Thanks

Here's What Mine is doing. I took screenshots from the video....

A: First Image is Putting Vehicle into Reverse from a Stationary Position and then Attempting to Reverse (No Camera Engages).

B: Second Screen Shot is hitting Camera Button from Stationary. Error Camera Unavailable.

Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 02-18-2017 at 12:59 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You know, I've wondered... on my wagons with automatic liftgates, the closing action is relatively smooth and about as jolt-free as one could expect.

On the S60 (and the Passat it replaced) -- BANG! -- the lid goes down. OK, maybe not that violent, but definitely harsher than with auto closing tailgates.

I wonder if there's a correlation with this sort of issue.
      2016 S60 Inscription Platinum FWD — Crystal White & Beechwood w/ 19" Portia wheels

I had a similar problem. However, I believe mine is related to the hot weather. I notice the video flickering when it is 80+ degrees and if the car's been sitting in the hot weather for a period of time, it is even worse. I've never asked the dealership to diagnose because it seems sporadic.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Even with the upmost care, the camera is subjected to a level of force by default. Being mounted to the trunk, there's no way to avoid some jolting. Even if the trunk is shut with great care, as I try to do.

Is there a cause and effect? I'm not sure....But you do have a solid theory.

Quote Originally Posted by kmah888333 View Post
      I had a similar problem. However, I believe mine is related to the hot weather. I notice the video flickering when it is 80+ degrees and if the car's been sitting in the hot weather for a period of time, it is even worse. I've never asked the dealership to diagnose because it seems sporadic.
      See Above for Screenshots.

Do what I did. Take a video of the problem and then save as evidence. Even though my dealership couldn't locate the fault, the technicians watched my video, and agreed that a problem exists. Their first attempt (few weeks ago) was a software update and that failed to rectify the problem. On Visit #2, I had the video in hand. Now a new Camera Assembly is on order with an ETA of next week.

Hope my problem is solved.....And Maybe yours will be too with some photographic evidence.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 02-18-2017 at 01:00 AM.

anyone else or are we just a small group plagued by a rare issue?

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      anyone else or are we just a small group plagued by a rare issue?
      I have had the issue happen sporadically, though it hasn't happened in a while, perhaps 9 months even. I think I could best associate it happening with very wet and cold Germany weather, but never found a causal link.
      2015.5 V60
      Current Garage:
      2015.5 Platinum V60 T5 US Spec in Rebel Blue
      2009 Jeep Wrangler JKU in Detonator Yellow
      2002 Nissan Maxima (Generation 5.5) SE 6-speed in chipped all to hell silver.
      1991 Lotus Excel SE in Silk Red but needs a complete respray.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements