2006 S40 2.4i Intermittent Stalling (p0101) - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by evy0311 View Post
      Yeah it's downstream the MAF. The hose I hear leaking is the one that connects to the top of the manifold and has a red ring around it where it connects.
      Well I've got good and bad news for you... my engine makes a very very similar if not the same sucking noise near the throttle body/vacuum hoses. I can take a video/audio if you want (I only have an iphone for a camera)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mklinker View Post
      Well I've got good and bad news for you... my engine makes a very very similar if not the same sucking noise near the throttle body/vacuum hoses. I can take a video/audio if you want (I only have an iphone for a camera)
      Yeah if you could take a video that'd be awesome. I just used my phone's camera to film mine as well. We did have the car in at an independent repair shop, and they stated that they found a leak at the hose I describe and you can see in my video.

They sealed it up with tape, but I'm not sure if it's still holding well. This weekend if the weather is good well check it all out as well as the TB. A video would be great though!!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Quote Originally Posted by evy0311 View Post
      Yeah if you could take a video that'd be awesome.

Last edited by mklinker; 03-07-2017 at 07:58 AM.

Hmm. So this does seem to be the same hissing noise.

Also, another quick update. As I was picking a friend up today I sat out in my car for a minute with the radio off and all just with it sitting in park at idle. As I was sitting, I could noticably hear the engine RPMs being rough. This didn't show very well on the gauge however.

Basically it sounded rough, then the RPMs would drop (by 50RPMs at most) and then surge back up by like 100RPMs, and then come back down to where it was first. When this all happens, you can feel a very strong vibration in the car when it pushes up in RPMs. You can hear it audibly and feel it, as well as see it on the gauge a bit. I took a video to show you, although you can't hear the sounds as the microphone on my phone wasn't all that good.

Here's the link to the video: https://goo.gl/photos/zN1gUWpdSY93EASQ9

Could this "surging" or "hunting" at idle be the throttle body, or is there a chance it could also be a vacuum leak as well?

I feel like it's the TB, but want to make sure it's also not a vacuum leak.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Update (IMPORTANT): So for my birthday, I got the Volva VIDA DiCE setup and have it running amazingly on my laptop.

I decided to go ahead and do a test of the throttle body or "throttle valve" as VIDA calls it. These cars don't have an electronic throttle body, just a valve that has an attached throttle position sensor. Inside of VIDA it allows you to tell the TB a predefined value to open to. Below is a video of my TB being tested through VIDA. The car is off in position 2, and im just opening and closing it to 25%, then 50%, and the last one is 100%. When opening to 100%, you can hear a very noticeable sound that sounds as if its scraping, and when i leave it there at 100%, you can listen close and hear the butterfly valve clicking back and forth inside of the throttle body bore.

NOTE: I have edited the audio in this video so that my phone can pick up the sound and its audible, but in person it is very audible even with the hood closed.
      Video: https://goo.gl/photos/gt27nvALuztKfbCWA

Is this normal? Also, the throttle position sensor itself seems to be about 2% off. When opening to 50%, the sensor reports back around 48% open (100%, 98% reported). Is this normal also?

Also I have an image below that contains 5 different parameters from the engine on a short drive I went on. The image below has a short snippet of the drive.

Graph Key:
      • Blue - Engine Speed (RPM)
      • Black - Short Term Fuel Trim
      • Purple - Long Term Fuel Trim
      • Red - Throttle Position, circuit 1
      • Green - Throttle Position, circuit 2

Maybe this graph will help diagnose the issue as well.

If anyone else has VIDA and can run this test let me know, or if anyone has any insight please let me know as well!
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

So something to consider is running this test with the engine on using the gas pedal. Monitor the data of commanded versus actual and see what it does. There is a large amount of wind force pushing on the TB and the actuator may be strong enough to get it close when it's off but show a larger gap while you're sitting there with the car running. 2% clearly isn't enough to cause a CEL, but you gotta wonder what the % limit is to trigger a CEL.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; Tuned Carb;

That's what I did in the test that was linked in the image I attached. The image that I had attached was all data recorded throughout a drive. The graph is showing only a small window of all of the data, but I just realized something... If you look at the image I attached, the very last value it recorded (while pulling into my driveway) was 0.31% open in the throttle body. This was recorded with the engine idle at 746 RPM. This happened right after pulling into my driveway, which is on a slope, meaning I have to give the engine quite a bit of gas when pulling in.

Could the data shown in the bottom right stating that it was open 0.31% mean a bad throttle body? Or could it still be a vacuum leak?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Yeah, I think it points to either an existing vacuum leak or the TB is bad. The reason you can't determine one or the other is because the assumption that the reports on that graph are correct.

Typically vacuum leaks result in an odd rise in RPM's or a lean close-circuit idle not having to give it more gas to get up a hill.

However that 0.31% and having to give it a sign that it is closing too much and when you had to give it quite a bit of gas which shows that it didn't reopen quickly to give you the gas you asked for. That might be the key to your stalling issues right there.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; Tuned Carb;

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      Yeah, I think it points to either an existing vacuum leak or the TB is bad. The reason you can't determine one or the other is because the assumption that the reports on that graph are correct.

Typically vacuum leaks result in an odd rise in RPM's or a lean close-circuit idle not having to give it more gas to get up a hill.

However that 0.31% and having to give it a sign that it is closing too much and when you had to give it quite a bit of gas which shows that it didn't reopen quickly to give you the gas you asked for. That might be the key to your stalling issues right there.
      Yeah and it seems that when I come to a stop the idle speed either drops or rises. It's always random. Whenever I start the car from a cold start the idle hovers pretty high and then doesn't drop very far until I shift into drive. The TB is original and at 118k miles I think it might make sense to replace it either way. We're also going to replace the TB gasket as well. I'll get back with you when we order it from Amazon (438$). Thank you for your help so far.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2