2006 S40 2.4i Intermittent Stalling (p0101) - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Quote Originally Posted by mklinker View Post
      Open the hood, grab the hose going into it... you will feel the pump vibrating.
      For some reason I feel like this and/or the whole hose that's on the right side of the engine, along with the valve that controls vacuum, is my issue. It's 200$ for the hose and 155$ for the pump. Already dropped 300$ on a new throttle body that didn't fix it but throttle response is much better. Will test later.

How did you do your smoke test?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by evy0311 View Post
      For some reason I feel like this and/or the whole hose that's on the right side of the engine, along with the valve that controls vacuum, is my issue. It's 200$ for the hose and 155$ for the pump. Already dropped 300$ on a new throttle body that didn't fix it but throttle response is much better. Will test later.

How did you do your smoke test?

Hooked up some hardware store hose and puffed on a cigar. It sucked, wouldn't recommend it, and unless there is a huge, obvious hole in your hoses, it wont tell you much.

I doubt your vacuum pump is broken... if it was it would mess up your braking but there is a check valve so it being broken wouldnt cause a vacuum leak.

Hooked up some hardware store hose and puffed on a cigar. It sucked, wouldn't recommend it, and unless there is a huge, obvious hole in your hoses, it wont tell you much.

I doubt your vacuum pump is broken... if it was it would mess up your braking but there is a check valve so it being broken wouldnt cause a vacuum leak.
      I just know I used to hear it buzz and I haven't in a while.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by evy0311 View Post
      I just know I used to hear it buzz and I haven't in a while.

Check the fuses, and see if it is hot. If its hot, its probably working.

Check the fuses, and see if it is hot. If its hot, its probably working.
      It is hot, but I'll check the fuse just in case. It was hot yesterday when it was 92° outside and I had just drove around for a bit, but I'll check it just in case.

The code I have is a p0101 code, so Im assuming it's something with vacuum/intake. Did you see the thing about the valve that goes close to the firewall?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Called the independent Volvo repair shop in Cincinnati that we've used before. They said a smoke test would be a couple hundred dollars and an A/C compressor clutch reshim would be 200$. Too expensive!!

Plan on doing both of these things myself to save a lot of money. They also told me they still don't know what's wrong with the car- that they have absolutely no idea and can't help. Hmm.
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Glad to hear your throttle response has improved, but sad to hear it hasn't fixed your issue.

That being said, the vacuum pump has a specific pressure it's supposed to start and stop at. There's a thread around here about someone who's was running all the time and was too hot to touch, and in the thread it specified when it was supposed to turn on and when it was supposed to turn off. It might have been on MatthewsVolvo or the UK forums.

Obviously if it's running all the time and you can see in VIDA the pressure is below or above the cutoff, you know the pump is bad.

If the pressure never drops to where it needs to go, you know you either have an unseen leak in the hose or a pump that is not pumping like it should.

Either way, going to be a sucky and expensive OEM fix unless you want to make the hose yourself and cut the dead ends off the bad hose and reuse them on the one you make. You could probably get away for making a hose for $50 in parts from the local hardware store, and just make sure you test airflow directions so you know where to cut in any one way PCV valves.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 05-18-2017 at 09:25 PM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      Glad to hear your throttle response has improved, but sad to hear it hasn't fixed your issue.

That being said, the vacuum pump has a specific pressure it's supposed to start and stop at. There's a thread around here about someone who's was running all the time and was too hot to touch, and in the thread it specified when it was supposed to turn on and when it was supposed to turn off. It might have been on MatthewsVolvo or the UK forums.

Obviously if it's running all the time and you can see in VIDA the pressure is below or above the cutoff, you know the pump is bad.

If the pressure never drops to where it needs to go, you know you either have an unseen leak in the hose or a pump that is not pumping like it should.

Either way, going to be a sucky and expensive OEM fix unless you want to make the hose yourself and cut the dead ends off the bad hose and reuse them on the one you make. You could probably get away for making a hose for $50 in parts from the local hardware store, and just make sure you test airflow directions so you know where to cut in any one way PCV valves.
      Tomorrow after my football practice I'll go ahead and check the vacuum stuff. I do know sometimes it is very hot to the touch... Maybe this is a sign. I almost wonder if there is a slight leak and over the years has forced the pump to run too hard. We'll see.

I'll check it tomorrow and get back with you. If this doesn't point to anything I have no idea what it could be at this point. Other than something electrical.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3