Just bought a 2001 V70 for $400
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Just bought a 2001 V70 for $400

So I just bought a 2001 V70 base model for $400. I was surprised at the condition of the car and for four Benjis I kinda couldn't pass it up. Pretty sure the guy I bought it from was a tweeker cuz it had a hand grenade shaped air freshener and a Nickelback CD still in it.
      Anywho, No body damage except for some typical parking lot scratches and never been wrecked. The interior is okay with typical wear and tear except for the cargo area. It's missing the interior trim around the tailgate but that's not a huge deal.The sunroof is stuck partway open and the rearview looks like a lava lamp filled with poo. Otherwise everything else works tho. Power seats, AC, heat, dome lights, wipers all work. So I'll call that a win.

Mechanically it needs a few things- radiator, struts/shocks, and brakes. Oh, and of course an ETM.

So I think I'm gonna chronicle my shoestring budget build here.

First thing is to get a new radiator. Second is going to be and ETM.

But I really need to get the craptastic plasti-dip spray job off the wheels.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Congrats! I bought my 2001 (a t5) for $800. Shoestring builds can be great. For this one, dont even think about touching the rearview. A dealer replacement is like a grand, and gutting it for a salvage yard one is like surgery. Spend $15 at amazon for a clip on wide view and enjoy the panorama behind you. The radiator leaking Im guessing? Where? Drilling the crack and a slob of jb weld can go a long way. The radiator isnt that expensive, but its not a fun job solo. Good luck and cant wait to see the progress. Post up some pics.

Nice find! Good luck with the shoestring build. Mine 850 started out that way at $900 a year ago....stage 0 finally almost finished and ive lost track of $$$ lol.

Have at it, make it your own, and enjoy it and the $$$ signs wont matter looking forward to seeing pics
      2004 XC70: WanderWagen, Part 2

Project: WanderWagen Reborn {GONE}

If only Volvo would have included a check wallet light in the cluster...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Gotta love cheap wagons. I got a 2001 with a blown turbo a few weeks ago for $350. Swapped out the turbo now dealing with low oil pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Chupacabra View Post
      Pretty sure the guy I bought it from was a tweeker cuz it had a hand grenade shaped air freshener and a Nickelback CD still in it.
      lol!
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive (Polestar)

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

I cleaned it out last night and probably took 10lbs of trash and other various flotsam out of it along with disconnecting the battery. Wanted to give it 12hours or so disconnected to reset all the computers.

So first order of biz today is to reconnect the battery, roll it up on ramps, and try to figure the best way to pull the radiator as well as drain the oil and pull the filter.

I was looking at replacement rearviews and HOLYCRAPARETHEYEXPENSIVE. so I'll either try to replace it with a non computer controlled Skynet activated one or just do the Autozone special and get one of those clip on panoramic ones.
      My neighbor is going to help me try to "clean" out the ETM to see if that'll help buy some time before I have to spend the purchase price of the car on a new throttle body. He builds race cars and hot rods so why the hell not eh?

I just have to keep him from convincing me to try to go carbureted. But some velocity stacks with a massive cowl hood might be just enough to give some local purists a stroke or two.

And I'll put this out here now: If anyone has 2001-2004 interior trim parts, inner door panels, or driver's door pulls taking up space in their parts stash I'm sure I could find a good home for them.

Pics to come soon. Just gotta upload some.

got this gorgeous v70xc for 400 bucks recently! Bad coolant leak tho lol. Just did blower motor yesterday, replacing driver seat tonight due to wear

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Nice XC volvodude!

Status update:

After hoping disconnecting the battery would reset the computers and solve some funkiness, I can now report that it didn't do a damn thing. lol

Got a couple of Qs that you significantly more knowledgable folks might be able to answer:

If I remove the driver's power seat and install a normal "gotta slide it yourself" seat, will it booger up all the computers?
      Since my passenger seat is a manual slider, are the seat sliders the same pattern to bolt into the car? They're different from side to side on my Jeep.
      MY KEY FOB ACTUALLY WORKS! I can lock and unlock the car, pop the tailgate and flash the parking lights! YAY!

speaking of locking the car, when I insert the key into the driver's door and turn it nothing happens. It won't unlock or lock the car. Not a huge issue RN, but eventually I would like to be able to park it somewhere and still have the change in the cupholders. Is this common? Or did I hit the jackpot of super rare extremely collectible base model V70s?

oh yeah, pics:

Now, remember that full frontal pic? notice those two little lights under the bumper? Me too. I spent about 10mins trying to figure out how to turn them on. I looked up a pdf of the owner's manual and found where the switch should be, but guess what?

No matter how many times I push the dummy switch where the front fog switch is supposed to be, they still don't turn on. So I'm pretty sure I bought a rare custom-ordered one-off prototype. Or maybe there's some weird Volvo voodoo to turning on the front fogs. That's probably it.

Now that's weird
      This is not a base, you have a Moonroof, Leather, etc
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

Rearview mirror has electronics in it vital to other functions, don't pitch it.
      2016 Passion Red/Off-black S60 T5 R-Design
      2006 Ice White/Oak XC70
      1996 Polar White/Charcoal 854R
      Former: 1996 Bright Red 855R, 2003 Silver V70 T5, 2012 Black Sapphire C30 T5 R-Design 6MT P*

Nice XC volvodude!
      Thanks I love it gotta fix the coolant leak tho

Same bolt pattern for seat, I wouldn't swap to manual tho

I actually made a video of doing my seat on xc today I'll send you link. Just need a t50 and 14mm socket

Couldn't find a p2 driver seat removal video so made one https://youtu.be/kqfJUnnLQog

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
      Rearview mirror has electronics in it vital to other functions, don't pitch it.
      Can you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by thevolvodude View Post
      Same bolt pattern for seat, I wouldn't swap to manual tho

Why not? I have some nice seats I got from Summit Racing that I want to put in. The stock seats are too soft and pillowy.

I got the same car, it was free but has a spun bearing. Got an 05 XC engine in it... all said and done on the road for with tranny flush for 3k. It has all new underpinning from FCP and all rotors brakes! I've already done some cosmetic work. Waiting for spring as I have no garage (joys of living in 100 year old house!

got this gorgeous v70xc for 400 bucks recently! Bad coolant leak tho lol. Just did blower motor yesterday, replacing driver seat tonight due to wear

I got the same car, it was free but has a spun bearing. Got an 05 XC engine in it... all said and done on the road for with tranny flush for 3k. It has all new underpinning from FCP and all rotors brakes! I've already done some cosmetic work. Waiting for spring as I have no garage (joys of living in 100 year old house!

Why not? I have some nice seats I got from Summit Racing that I want to put in. The stock seats are too soft and pillowy.
      Idk it's just my opinion lol, I had cloth seats in my s70 eons ago and they were manual just never felt right. It's just me though. You may throw an SRS service air bag urgent message

Idk it's just my opinion lol, I had cloth seats in my s70 eons ago and they were manual just never felt right. It's just me though. You may throw an SRS service air bag urgent message

Already getting that message so....

Today's plan:
      Put the brick up on stands, and try to get the radiator pulled.
      Pull the passenger front seat to get dims for fabricating a seat mount.
      Borrow the neighbor's obd2 scanner and be horrified at how many codes this thing is throwing.

Today's plan:
      Put the brick up on stands, and try to get the radiator pulled.
      Pull the passenger front seat to get dims for fabricating a seat mount.
      Borrow the neighbor's obd2 scanner and be horrified at how many codes this thing is throwing.
      Yeah lol the codes could be fun!

If you want codes visit the Audi forums haha. I had an a6 it was a night mare every light on dash and 32 various codes.

Started raining so I had to scrap the plans to pull the radiator today. But I did get it up on stands.

Once it's back on the ground I'll get to removing the plastidip on the wheels.

Also pulled the passenger seat so I can measure the dimensions for a seat bracket for aftermarket seats. Good thing is I found the slider/frame for the seat just bolts onto the seat. So I'll remove that from the seat and use that as a template for custom adapters for my other seats.

These are the same seats I have in my Jeep.

Looks like I still have some cleaning to do.

got the radiator out this AM. What a Charlie Foxtrot that was.

Here's the old one in all it's glory:

And a little bit closer. I think dude used ALL the JB Weld Pep boys had in stock.

Good day today!

My neighbor accidentally drove past an indie volvo shop about 3 miles from the crib. Stopped there this AM and asked a bunch of Qs. This led me to a private Volvo parts yard. and lo and behold the guy has a 2001 xc70 he's parting out. I picked up all the interior trim I needed along with a driver's door switch panel and a pair of lower taillights. all told- $80.

He's also getting a pair of thrashed P2 front seats and promised to let me cannibalize the passenger seat to get the manual slider mechanism. Also eyeing those XC70 wheels cuz why the hell not.

So I installed all the trim, pulled the driver's door panel, swapped the switches, and started pulling the craptastic tint off the windows.

Also have all the plastidip off 2 of the wheels and almost done with the third.

update

All 4 wheels are now free of their plastidip prisons. Stopped by that private parts yard again today. Picked up a driver's door panel minus the door pull mechanism, and a switch module for the headlights/fogs/driving lights along with a pass. side headlamp. Total cost- $50.

The door panel needs to be cleaned and reglued, but it's complete(minus the door handle).

I was shooting the **** with the yard owner about his three wagons and he kept going off about how he hates roof rails on wagons. I'm laughing cuz he's totally going off about roof racks in general.
      I asked him about the rails on the XC and he laughed and said he'd sell em for $40 cuz he hates roof racks. Guess I'm heading up there on Monday to grab em.

So. Updated list of stuff to do:
      drop the bumper
      replace the radiator
      pull the grille and de-badge
      buy taillight/turn/reverse bulbs
      reinstall taillights
      cooling system flush
      oil change
      trans fluid change
      ETM

Seeing as this thing probably won't have tags till June, I'll have plenty of time to get it running and all buttoned up. At least I'll be able to move it to a different part of my driveway.

still gotta figure out what's going on with the sunroof

The rails are pretty easy to fit. I managed it and I'm a technical moron.

There are plenty on here that like the no rails look but tbh I'm with you. Our previous V70 came without and in black with tints it looked like a hearse. With the rails it transformed the look. And that rare thing, a mod that SWMBO approved of.

And that radiator pic is a classic
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive (Polestar)

Quote Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
      And that radiator pic is a classic
      I know right? I think PO used plaster of paris to try to repair the leak

got out early to get hammering on the Project LongRüf

Put it up on standsand pulled the front wheels to make it easier to pull the front bumper. Used a cutting wheel to pop the rivets in the fenderwell. Took me longer to get all my tools together and get it up in the air than to drop the bumper.

Had to remove the pass. side headlamp assembly cus for some reason there was a turn bulb inside the turn signal lamp. Once I pulled the whole thing luckily the bulb and it's base fit thru the hole.

I'm gonna leave the bumper off till I get the grille de-badged and painted and the new radiator in. Also thinking about relocating the horns so I can mount some LED fogs behind the grille. Cuz if there's one thing this car needs, it's more wiring.

So the PO plastidipped the wheels black, and I'm not a fan. So here's what I did:
      1. douse the wheel in WD40, let sit a couple of hours
      2. scuff with a green scrubby.
      3. hit it with some more WD40, let it sit a few hours
      4. More green scrubby
      5. spray down with Greased Lightning
      6. mote green scrubby
      7. wash with soap and water

My wife and I just picked up a 2001 V70 in darn good shape for $2K to replace our leased S60 that we're turning back next month.

I was going to pull it out of the garage today to start cleaning it up....but it was -1 when I got up this morning!

Think I'll wait until next weekend.
      His: Currently Volvo-less.
      Hers:2001 V70
      Gone But Not Forgotten:2010 C30 T5 R Design Passion Red, 2004 V70R Ti/Gobi, 2004 S80, 740GLE and too many 240s to count!
      To R is Still Human!

Quote Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
      The rails are pretty easy to fit. I managed it and I'm a technical moron.

There are plenty on here that like the no rails look but tbh I'm with you. Our previous V70 came without and in black with tints it looked like a hearse. With the rails it transformed the look. And that rare thing, a mod that SWMBO approved of.
      I do like the no roof rails look, but since a roof basket and bike racks are in the cards for Project Longrüf, I needed a pair.

I finally got around to pulling the rails along with the roof trim sections off the donor car. Aside from some dry-rotted weather strip and sun fading on the plastics they're in pretty good shape. and for $40, I'm not gonna complain. I even snagged a few of the snap brackets too.

Since a couple of the mounting bolts were kinda crusty, I'm thinking a squirt of clear silicone between the roof and the rails along with a dab on the bolt heads will go a long way to keeping them leak free.

As for the roof trim pieces, I'm gonna scrape pff the dry rotted weatherstrip, do a good rough sand, then a nice fine grit wet sand and rattle can em with some VHT satin black. I've had great luck with the VHT stuff in the past.

As for relocating the horns, there's a nice empty spot right behind the bumper on the DS where they'll both fit. Although since the battery is ALL the way in the back, running the wiring harness for the lights will be kind of a PITA. so basically a coin flip on whether I do that or not. But I will probably add some LED strip lights to the cargo area just for a little extra illumination. I can tap into the 12v power source in the cargo area and mount a switch right there so that shouldn't be too tricky.

This week's plan of attack:

Pull some interior trim so I can drop the headliner. I need to address the stuck sunroof.
      Pick up bulbs for the rear lights and install
      Make sure the 12v plug in the cargo area works
      pull the roof trim
      Install the roof rails
      And HOPEFULLY get a radiator and install that. Sure would be nice to be able to move the thing around the driveway.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast