Just bought a 2001 V70 for $400 - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Results 71 to 105 of 107
    1. #71
      Member MadeInJapan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2003
      Location
      Knoxville, TN
      Posts
      7,656
      I have 2 of the outside part of the inside door grab handles in fair shape. PM me your address and I'll send them to you.
      I haven't heard much about transmission issues or any shifting tails at all but make sure you put the right fluid in it...has to be JWS-3309 compliant. Cheapest may be Mobil-1 but you can also use Toyota Type IV (they're the same thing). I would not trust any of the "for all transmissions" type fluid at all! Also considering the miles on the tranny, I would not do any power flushing at all...personally I would do several drain and fills but there are differing opinions on how to replace the fluid that's already in there.
      -MIJ
      Last edited by MadeInJapan; 03-28-2017 at 09:29 PM.
      '98 S70 T5 Emerald Green IPD and other Upgrades/ '07 S40 T5 M-66 MT Mystic Silver Metallic, Heico Sports Suspension & Cone Air Filter, OZ 18" Wheels, Elevate Dual Exhaust Intake Manifold BOV & Stage 1 Tune, 27mm Racing Beat Rear Sway, Proforged Rear End Links, Ultra Racing Strut Tower brace & E-Focus Mount/ '04 V70 2.5T Ruby Red - IPD Upgrades (wife's car)/ '07 S60 2.5T Barrent Blue (son's car) All: Mobil-1 synthetic @ 5K miles.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #72
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      Okay. I'm kinda frustrated RN.
      I've been having some throttle response issues since I bought Project LongRüf, and I can't seem to make a dent in it(so to speak).
      Car starts on the first crank, runs quiet and smooth. No stumbling at idle or stalling issues. But. While idling in P, the throttle response is mushy. Blipping the throttle results in a lazy acceleration, and I can't get it to rev above 2500. I disconnected the MAF sensor recently to see if that would temporarily resolve the issue. No real change except I got the CEL to light up and an Emissions msg on the panel. So I plugged it back in and moved on to other parts of the project. Next time I started it up, the throttle response was spot on. Revved strong all the way thru the powerband. Figured it was the MAF sensor. Moved on to other parts of the project.
      Fast forward to Yesterday
      In an effort to not spend $100 every time I buy stuff, I spent $5 on some CRC MAF cleaner. Pulled the MAF out, and hit it a bunch with the spray. Let it sit for a few hours, just to make sure it dried thoroughly. Plugged everything back in and still craptastic throttle response.
      Currantly The car's only throwing 1 msg on the panel(airbag) and the SERVICE light lights up for a short time after starting the car then goes out. Oil level is spot on, coolant level is spot on. AC blows cold, heat blows hot.
      Before I get into replacing the ETM(lots of $$$), I'm going to look at spark/fuel delivery.
      When I got the car the tank was basically empty so I poured abt 5gal of regular gas in it. After doing some internet research, I read that I should use 91 or better. Also that the fuel filter should be replaced at about half the miles the car currently has.
      All things being equal, if the plugs and coil packs are OK, and the filter isn't super gummed up, it may be just a matter of the computer retarding the spark to avoid knock which could (partially, at least) be a cause of my crappy throttle response.
      Thinking back now, I remember my first cross country road trip in my 81 Toyota Celica Sunchaser. I was on a Native American reservation in SD and NEEDED fuel. Only gas was 85 octane. I normally ran 87. The car ran like absolute **** till i was able to get some 91/93 to dilute the 85 and bring the overall octane rating back up.

      So here's hoping it's just cheap gas. I doubt that's the who;e solution, but it may be a big part of it. *fingers crossed

    4. #73
      Member ZZZZZZZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Northern MD
      Posts
      4,551
      Throw in some additive and let it run with that mixed in. Those bump octane up don't they?
      Can you get an CAM2 racing fuel? Let it run for a bit, and burn some of that tank down.
      Quote Originally Posted by L. Chupacabra View Post
      Okay. I'm kinda frustrated RN.
      I've been having some throttle response issues since I bought Project LongRüf, and I can't seem to make a dent in it(so to speak).
      Car starts on the first crank, runs quiet and smooth. No stumbling at idle or stalling issues. But. While idling in P, the throttle response is mushy. Blipping the throttle results in a lazy acceleration, and I can't get it to rev above 2500. I disconnected the MAF sensor recently to see if that would temporarily resolve the issue. No real change except I got the CEL to light up and an Emissions msg on the panel. So I plugged it back in and moved on to other parts of the project. Next time I started it up, the throttle response was spot on. Revved strong all the way thru the powerband. Figured it was the MAF sensor. Moved on to other parts of the project.
      Fast forward to Yesterday
      In an effort to not spend $100 every time I buy stuff, I spent $5 on some CRC MAF cleaner. Pulled the MAF out, and hit it a bunch with the spray. Let it sit for a few hours, just to make sure it dried thoroughly. Plugged everything back in and still craptastic throttle response.
      Currantly The car's only throwing 1 msg on the panel(airbag) and the SERVICE light lights up for a short time after starting the car then goes out. Oil level is spot on, coolant level is spot on. AC blows cold, heat blows hot.
      Before I get into replacing the ETM(lots of $$$), I'm going to look at spark/fuel delivery.
      When I got the car the tank was basically empty so I poured abt 5gal of regular gas in it. After doing some internet research, I read that I should use 91 or better. Also that the fuel filter should be replaced at about half the miles the car currently has.
      All things being equal, if the plugs and coil packs are OK, and the filter isn't super gummed up, it may be just a matter of the computer retarding the spark to avoid knock which could (partially, at least) be a cause of my crappy throttle response.
      Thinking back now, I remember my first cross country road trip in my 81 Toyota Celica Sunchaser. I was on a Native American reservation in SD and NEEDED fuel. Only gas was 85 octane. I normally ran 87. The car ran like absolute **** till i was able to get some 91/93 to dilute the 85 and bring the overall octane rating back up.

      So here's hoping it's just cheap gas. I doubt that's the who;e solution, but it may be a big part of it. *fingers crossed
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

    5. #74
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      Quote Originally Posted by MadeInJapan View Post
      I have 2 of the outside part of the inside door grab handles in fair shape. PM me your address and I'll send them to you.
      I haven't heard much about transmission issues or any shifting tails at all but make sure you put the right fluid in it...has to be JWS-3309 compliant. Cheapest may be Mobil-1 but you can also use Toyota Type IV (they're the same thing). I would not trust any of the "for all transmissions" type fluid at all! Also considering the miles on the tranny, I would not do any power flushing at all...personally I would do several drain and fills but there are differing opinions on how to replace the fluid that's already in there.
      -MIJ
      LOL been doing a BUNCH of part number crossreferencing lately. Yeah, the toyota stuff is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Mobil 1 or the Volvo branded stuff. All I'm gonna do is drain it, measure what comes out, and replace with the same amount. A full on flush might have some bad side effects. At least it did on my old 75 Caprice I had in HS. Not quite an apples to oranges comparison, maybe an apples to pears, if you follow. I'll drop you a PM. Thanks. That's much appreciated. Bonus points if they're not beige. It all of a sudden seems like I'm trying(not on purpose) to have trim of a bunch of different colors.

    6. #75
      Junior Member rich1068's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      683
      Throttle body clean? Swine to get to but our V70 runs much better for it.
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive (Polestar)

    7. #76
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      Quote Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
      Throttle body clean? Swine to get to but our V70 runs much better for it.
      on my list.

      I have a sneaking suspicion the tweeker I got it from prob never ran 91 or better. So, crap gas, (probably) old/fouled plugs, (probably) gummed up injectors, and a general laissez-faire attitude towards maintenance along with an old MAF sensor are to blame.
      I figure if I drop $100 to do a fuel/spark delivery tune up and it improves the issue a little is money I can part with.
      I'm basically trying to do everything BUT an ETM.

      Also a neighbor has a similar vintage S80 auto with an exhaust leak for sale. So there's that. Someone please talk me off that ledge.

    8. #77
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      All Righty Then

      Picked up some 108 octane booster, 5gal of 93 and 5 new Bosch Dbl Plat plugs.

      Also there's apparently a leak in my windshield washer tank on my Jeep.

    9. #78
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      Welp.
      Changed the plugs. Used Bosch Dbl plat. The old plugs were Autolite platinum. At least they were platinum plugs.


      All 5 looked the same.

      And of course the coil boot on cyl2 was boogered. Just gonna pick up a whole coil pack cuz it includes the boot.

      And the windshield washer pump on my Jeep is shot. Luckily I've done this before. it'll take me longer to get to the store than to actually change it out.

    10. #79
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      And of course I moved the wagon into pretty much the exact middle of my driveway so I'd have room to wrench. And now that it's immobile...

      oh well. Looks like I'm off to Autozone AGAIN

    11. #80
      Member ZZZZZZZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Northern MD
      Posts
      4,551
      Uber!
      Quote Originally Posted by L. Chupacabra View Post
      And of course I moved the wagon into pretty much the exact middle of my driveway so I'd have room to wrench. And now that it's immobile...

      oh well. Looks like I'm off to Autozone AGAIN
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

    12. #81
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      a. F#$% Uber
      b. I'll just drive my DD

    13. #82
      Member ZZZZZZZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Northern MD
      Posts
      4,551
      I have never used it.
      I'd assumed the middle of the dw meant the other car couldn't get out.
      Progress? Does it rev normally now?
      Quote Originally Posted by L. Chupacabra View Post
      a. F#$% Uber
      b. I'll just drive my DD
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

    14. #83
      Junior Member TrstnBrtt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Vancouver, BC
      Posts
      39
      [QUOTE=rich1068;5153489]Odd. I've just looked on our V70 and I've got one too, never noticed it before. Just covered with a blanking plate. Could be for one of those roof mounted screens maybe? Or on my '14 XC90 there's some sort of alarm sensor cluster or somesuch. Could be movement sensor?



      It's an alarm module of sorts. Part number 8622636


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    15. #84
      Quote Originally Posted by L. Chupacabra View Post
      Welp.
      Changed the plugs. Used Bosch Dbl plat. The old plugs were Autolite platinum. At least they were platinum plugs.

      All 5 looked the same.

      And of course the coil boot on cyl2 was boogered. Just gonna pick up a whole coil pack cuz it includes the boot.

      And the windshield washer pump on my Jeep is shot. Luckily I've done this before. it'll take me longer to get to the store than to actually change it out.
      so terrible.
      and nice photobucket username.

    16. #85
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      Status Update

      108 octane booster and 5 gal 93 dumped in the tank. New plugs, #2 coil. Still starts up just fine, and idles fine. Throttle response is a little better and I can get it to rev to 3k now. and it would sit at 3k then vroom up to about 6k. So I figure the "tune up" had an effect. Granted I only ran it for about 5mins. Gonna start it up today and let it run for a good while to try to get everything circulated.

      Next option is new fuel filter and MAF sensor. I can with certainty say the fuel filter has never been replaced.
      I think cleaning the MAF sensor helped, but with a bit over 200k on the clock, it just needs to be replaced as well.

      Bought some Plastidip to touch up the grille, and also sprayed a section of bumper molding just to see how it looks.

      Still gotta get some trim rivets for the top of the bumper and slap on the lower air dam.
      Might swing by the local indie shop on my lunch break, get some info, and maybe ride it dirty down there some time before dawn next week just to get it plugged in and get some definitive answers.

      And I keep forgetting to get a few of those funky festoon style dome light bulbs.
      So once all that's done I can move on to suspension/brakes/tires.
      Still need to find another 15" wheel, either a steelie or similar to what are on the car to use as a full size spare.


      And the windshield washer pump was $17 from Autozone. So now I can see thru the Jeep windshield again.

    17. #86
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Seneca SC USA
      Posts
      138
      Here are my thoughts as a fellow 2001 XC owner. Sorry if I missed some posts, I only skimmed through.

      1) ETM: There is no way in hell you are going to avoid replacing this. The issue is not that they get gunked up. The issue is that the throttle position sensor uses a resistive wiper to sense position, and this wears out over time. Even if you buy a new one, it will fail in the exact same way. To me, the ONLY thing to do here is replace it with the Xemodex rebuild that uses a magnetic TP sensor. This is what is causing your throttle issues. You're just throwing darts at it with the MAF stuff.

      2) While you have the intake off to replace the ETM, also do the PVC system, as it is mounted on the bottom of the block below the ETM and is impossible to get to without removing the intake and ETM. The PVC system eventually clogs (and with 200K, yours is clogged) and it ends up filling the plug wells with oil, among other things.

      3) The engine should not exceed 4k while in park. At least, mine appears to have a rev limiter in park.

      4) 87 octane (US) fuel is FINE for the 2.4 Turbo. The manual calls for 87 AKI, which is what is printed on US gas pumps (the average of RON and MON). In areas where RON is printed on pumps (Europe), the minimum is 91.

      5) Congrats on your purchase! I love my V70 X/C and though it may now have died, I will certainly look for another one.
      Engineer, Cyclist, Pilot, Geek
      eric(dot)hidle(at)gmail
      2001 V70 X/C, 2005 XC90 T6, 2002 V70

    18. #87
      Member Antherzoll's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2013
      Location
      Toronto, Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      3,239
      Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
      2) While you have the intake off to replace the ETM, also do the PVC system, as it is mounted on the bottom of the block below the ETM and is impossible to get to without removing the intake and ETM. The PVC system eventually clogs (and with 200K, yours is clogged) and it ends up filling the plug wells with oil, among other things.
      Impossible you say

      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?p=3715321
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

    19. #88
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
      Here are my thoughts as a fellow 2001 XC owner. Sorry if I missed some posts, I only skimmed through.

      1) ETM: There is no way in hell you are going to avoid replacing this. The issue is not that they get gunked up. The issue is that the throttle position sensor uses a resistive wiper to sense position, and this wears out over time. Even if you buy a new one, it will fail in the exact same way. To me, the ONLY thing to do here is replace it with the Xemodex rebuild that uses a magnetic TP sensor. This is what is causing your throttle issues. You're just throwing darts at it with the MAF stuff.

      2) While you have the intake off to replace the ETM, also do the PVC system, as it is mounted on the bottom of the block below the ETM and is impossible to get to without removing the intake and ETM. The PVC system eventually clogs (and with 200K, yours is clogged) and it ends up filling the plug wells with oil, among other things.

      3) The engine should not exceed 4k while in park. At least, mine appears to have a rev limiter in park.

      4) 87 octane (US) fuel is FINE for the 2.4 Turbo. The manual calls for 87 AKI, which is what is printed on US gas pumps (the average of RON and MON). In areas where RON is printed on pumps (Europe), the minimum is 91.

      5) Congrats on your purchase! I love my V70 X/C and though it may now have died, I will certainly look for another one.
      Appreciate the advice, but-
      1. Non-turbo, base V70
      2. Owner's manual says 91 octane
      3. Yeah, I'm throwing darts, but I'm going to rule out the simple stuff before I throw a bunch of money at what may or may not be the issue. I know the ETMs fail on the regular but since I'm not experiencing and stumbling, stalling or other textbook symptoms, I'll leave that as a last resort.

    20. #89
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      Status Update:

      Project LongRüf is on a bit of a hiatus as now that spring is here in FL. Yardwork is probably my least favorite thing to do, and when the weather gets warm around here EVERYTHING grows at a significant fraction of the speed of light. All that brush you cleared and pruned back in Feb? LOL. Didn't I just mow my lawn 3 days ago? LOL.

      BUT- somehow the sunroof started working again. I started the wagon up a few days ago to let it run and get the juices flowing, rolled down the windows to let that horrible air-freshener smell dissipate, and just pushed the sunroof button on a whim. HOLY CRAP! I about peed myself when it started moving. Then it made a bad noise and wouldn't move. And of course it was open more than where it was.
      Then yesterday, I started it up to move it and hit the sunroof button again. HOLY CRAP! This time I had enough presence of mind to get it closed.

      Remember when your parents told you not to do something and you wanted to do that more than anything? Yeah. That's me wanting to play with the sunroof.

      But for right now it's closed, and I'm super stoked.

      The wagon is starting to remind me of my old 78 Buick I owned in HS. It had what my GF at the time called "character". Lots of "Will this part work today?" type stuff going on. At least it's nowhere near the "character" my other cars had.

      MG, Fiat X/19, Alfa Spider, and BMW 2002. Good lord those cars were characterful. I almost forgot the 75 Caprice that was basically held together by the paint and my sheer willpower. God I loved those cars.

      please don't show me cool/neato oddball Italian coupes for sale. They're basically Kryptonite to me.

    21. #90
      Junior Member rich1068's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      683
      I recently enjoyed reading this. Particularly the comments.
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive (Polestar)

    22. #91
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      Quote Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
      I recently enjoyed reading this. Particularly the comments.
      Yeah that made me smile when it popped up in my twitter feed. Just nice to know I'm not alone and other people proudly share my disorder

    23. #92
      Member ZZZZZZZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Location
      Northern MD
      Posts
      4,551
      Good read, LC. Got a good laugh.
      https://youtu.be/h4UqMyldS7Q

      Quote Originally Posted by L. Chupacabra View Post
      Status Update:

      Project LongRüf is on a bit of a hiatus as now that spring is here in FL. Yardwork is probably my least favorite thing to do, and when the weather gets warm around here EVERYTHING grows at a significant fraction of the speed of light. All that brush you cleared and pruned back in Feb? LOL. Didn't I just mow my lawn 3 days ago? LOL.

      BUT- somehow the sunroof started working again. I started the wagon up a few days ago to let it run and get the juices flowing, rolled down the windows to let that horrible air-freshener smell dissipate, and just pushed the sunroof button on a whim. HOLY CRAP! I about peed myself when it started moving. Then it made a bad noise and wouldn't move. And of course it was open more than where it was.
      Then yesterday, I started it up to move it and hit the sunroof button again. HOLY CRAP! This time I had enough presence of mind to get it closed.

      Remember when your parents told you not to do something and you wanted to do that more than anything? Yeah. That's me wanting to play with the sunroof.

      But for right now it's closed, and I'm super stoked.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

    24. #93
      Quote Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
      I recently enjoyed reading this. Particularly the comments.
      YIKES. I really want an '82 bosch L Spider, but then these threads keep on popping up.

    25. #94
      Junior Member rich1068's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      683
      Jalopnik is good for this stuff. I enjoyed their bit about Spitfires too http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/heres-...h-s-1794326920 Though being British none of that surprised me. I lived through the dark days But none of that would worry me about a Triumph because as they point out, the cars are so basic. Unlike the Italians they never thought "Hey, let's do this in a completely different way to every car manufacturer on the planet."
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive (Polestar)

    26. #95
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      Project LongRüf update:

      So, I haven't messed with the wagon in a couple of weeks and decided yesterday to start it up and let it run.

      Welp, I hit the unlock button on the remote- nothing
      tried to unlock it with the key- nothing.

      At this point I'm freaking out a little bit cuz the battery's dead, I can't get into the car to pop the hood or tailgate to access any power points for jump starting.
      Tried the tailgate- Oh, it wasn't latched all the way. At least I figured out why the battery is ALL THE WAY dead.
      Now I gotta get some jumper cables.

      But SRSLY- what happens if the battery dies and the car is locked up?

    27. #96
      Member MadeInJapan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2003
      Location
      Knoxville, TN
      Posts
      7,656
      I have read on a Brit site that you have to remove the front bumper to have access to open the hood then you can connect a charger at the front of the car at the jumper points.
      '98 S70 T5 Emerald Green IPD and other Upgrades/ '07 S40 T5 M-66 MT Mystic Silver Metallic, Heico Sports Suspension & Cone Air Filter, OZ 18" Wheels, Elevate Dual Exhaust Intake Manifold BOV & Stage 1 Tune, 27mm Racing Beat Rear Sway, Proforged Rear End Links, Ultra Racing Strut Tower brace & E-Focus Mount/ '04 V70 2.5T Ruby Red - IPD Upgrades (wife's car)/ '07 S60 2.5T Barrent Blue (son's car) All: Mobil-1 synthetic @ 5K miles.

    28. #97
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      Quote Originally Posted by MadeInJapan View Post
      I have read on a Brit site that you have to remove the front bumper to have access to open the hood then you can connect a charger at the front of the car at the jumper points.
      LOL Cuz that's super easy to do in the grocery parking lot.

    29. #98
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      OKAY!

      Project LongRüf has a hard deadline!

      Got invited to the North American Cycle Courier Championships this year. Hundreds of the nation's best bike messengers all converging on Milwaukee for a weekend of racing, partying and shenanigans. And since I'm a complete sucker for road trips and absurdity, I think I'm gonna go.
      3000(ish) mile round trip.
      So.
      Time to poop or get off the pot with Project LongRüf.
      The plan is:
      Drive from FL to either Columbia SC or Charlotte NC, do a group ride with some friends and spend the night. Then drive to Cleveland and hook up with a close friend, spend the night, and then load up his cargo bike and whatever else he's bringing and drive to Milwaukee. Then 3 days of bike fun.
      Then do it all in reverse.

      This means I have an accelerated schedule of maintenance/repair to do so I better get my act together

      ETM- going to go with an XemodeX ETM. plug n play and a lifetime warranty
      Brakes- they seem ok, but I need to pull the wheels and check. Hopefully When I put some calipers on the rotors they'll be in spec. Brake pads are cheap and easy to do.
      Struts- Suspension is actually in good shape except for the shotgun side front strut. The strut itself is ok, but the bushing(?) and some other small mount parts should be replaced. Gonna do both sides just to be safe
      Tires- Luckily I have the tiny 195/65/15s on this. Local tire shops have these for around $50 installed. Gonna do 2 (for the front) and take the best other two and put em on the rear.
      Then it's just a matter of typical preventative stuff.
      Gonna change the oil and filter, flush the cooling system again, new air filter and wipers all around.
      What could possibly go wrong?

    30. #99
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      Aside from the ETM, these are small(ish) and relatively cheap to do.

      Just remembered- I need to pull the driver's door panel AGAIN and reconnect the little door lock strut AGAIN.

      Anyone have a trick to keeping that little strut from popping off the door lock innards?

    31. #100
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      AND I need a new stereo. The OE one works, but I'm not bringing a bunch of CDs and what the hell is a cassette?

      Found a nice double din touchscreen unit with Apple Carplay with most importantly 2 USB ports So I can hook up my phone and iPod.
      That's not gonna be super expensive, but still a chunk of cash.

    32. #101
      Junior Member rich1068's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      683
      Quote Originally Posted by L. Chupacabra View Post
      What could possibly go wrong?
      We expect regular updates.

      Quote Originally Posted by L. Chupacabra View Post
      AND I need a new stereo. The OE one works, but I'm not bringing a bunch of CDs and what the hell is a cassette?

      Found a nice double din touchscreen unit with Apple Carplay with most importantly 2 USB ports So I can hook up my phone and iPod.
      That's not gonna be super expensive, but still a chunk of cash.
      Apple users and their fancy pants gadgetry. Project Longrüff cries out for cassettes. Or one of these at the most.
      2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive (Polestar)

    33. #102
      if you want to keep the steering wheel controls functioning.

      swrvl 54 I think is the part number.

      edit:
      and I've got the double din plastic sitting in the basement. I'll make you a deal.
      Last edited by nsjames; 05-08-2017 at 11:30 AM.

    34. #103
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      Berkeley, CA
      Posts
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by L. Chupacabra View Post
      OKAY!
      Got invited to the North American Cycle Courier Championships this year. Hundreds of the nation's best bike messengers all converging on Milwaukee for a weekend of racing, partying and shenanigans. And since I'm a complete sucker for road trips and absurdity, I think I'm gonna go.
      3000(ish) mile round trip.
      That's awesome - have fun!

    35. #104
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      Apple users and their fancy pants gadgetry. Project Longrüff cries out for cassettes. Or one of these at the most.[/QUOTE]

      DYING

    36. #105
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Floriduh
      Posts
      79
      Quote Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
      apple users and their fancy pants gadgetry. Project longrüff cries out for cassettes. Or one of these at the most.
      i'm dying

    37. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast