Just bought a 2001 V70 for $400 - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      I would bet that by now that car has a replacement ETM in it with a yellow tag. You can send that out for a rebuild or you can install a kit yourself. There are a bunch of listings on ebay and through other suppliers in the $100 to $150 range. The toughest part of the rebuild appears to be digging out the epoxy potting compound inside the ETM body.
      2001 V70 T5M, TME Springs, 213,000 miles and climbing - fast.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Been doing some roof rack spitballing and decided I'm NOT going to install the roof rails I bought. With the rails, crossbars, and basket I'm planning on putting on the roof, It'll just be sitting too high off the roof.

So since I now have access to a welder and a brake, I'm going to fab some mounts to weld onto the basket that will sit on the existing roof rail mounts.
      Since I want this to look like an homage to a neutral support vehicle the roof basket has to be relatively tight to the roof. The basket is going to have mounts for 3 bikes, three wheels, and a full size spare for the car.

I picked up a stock Jeep spare tire mount for $5. That'll get welded to a to s sheet welded to the bottom of the basket. Then round rails running across the basket will be welded in so I can mount my three tray racks and wheel forks.

I kinda think I may be getting ahead of myself, since the freaking thing STILL doesn't have a radiator. But dammit, I want a steel roof basket/rack.

And yes, It will more than likely interfere with the sunroof, but I just want that thing closed. I'm more of a 4/70 ventilation kinda guy anyway.

Then once the basket is fabbed and fitted, I can go ahead and goof around with lighting options. Thinking LED strip lights along the basket rails to help with loading/unloading bikes at night and also if I get a flat in the middle of nowhere at 2am.

Finally pulled the trigger on a NEW radiator for Project Longrüf yesterday. Hopefully the weather will cooperate so I can get that thing installed today.

Gonna run a few cycles of distilled water in the cooling system just to flush out the bulk of the crap that's in there, then do a proper flush.

This means another trip to the parts store for some oil, trans fluid, and an oil filter. Hopefully I'll be able to do the oil and trans fluid change today as well. Also prob gonna pick up a whole new set of rear bulbs, test, and reinstall the tail lights.

Then I can button up the interior trim in the hatch area.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It's alive!!! Hahahahaha

2005 Volvo V70 2.5T SE AWD
      2014 Volvo XC90 D5 Executive (Polestar)

Quote Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
      exactly

Status update on Project Longrüf:

Radiator installed. PRO-TIP: Make sure you don't get halfway thru and discover the radiator in upside down. This will save time.
      Ran 3 cycles of distilled h2o thru the cooling system. The first drain was pretty gnarly. By the third it was nice and clear. Still have it filled with h2o. Gonna do a final flush n fill with real coolant this week. Also probably gonna replace the hoses with silicone just for funsies. The OE hoses ARE 16yrs old after all.

Moved it around the driveway. Seems to go into D and R and N pretty well for a car with EVERY SINGLE MILE on it. Throttle response is kinda crap tho. Theres
      's a 3-4" lip going onto one section of my driveway, and I couldn't get the wheels over it without a running start. So I figure that's the ETM telling me it's time for a new one.

Systems Check- things that work
      mirrors
      windows
      locks
      clock
      radio
      driver's seat
      AC and Heat
      All Fan speeds and positions
      gauges
      wipers F/R
      washer F/R
      turn signals/flashers

Things that don't-
      sunroof

I have an airbag idiot light and sometimes a CEL. But the CEL goes away once it gets up to temp. Gotta borrow my neighbor's scanner and run codes.

Sitting in the driveway idling I get 3 messages on the little screen on the left of the gauge cluster:
      door open- door was open
      position bulb out- tail lights are not yet re installed
      airbag- Pass seat is currently removed

Also getting the angry exclamation point in a triangle in RED on. Gonna assume it's related to the airbags as the pass seat is currently removed. And I prob better get used to it cuz the OE seats are coming out permanently very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 02duxv70 View Post
      I would bet that by now that car has a replacement ETM in it with a yellow tag. You can send that out for a rebuild or you can install a kit yourself. There are a bunch of listings on ebay and through other suppliers in the $100 to $150 range. The toughest part of the rebuild appears to be digging out the epoxy potting compound inside the ETM body.
      I didn't see any yellow tag. So I'm going to assume that it still has the OE ETM. But this is relevant to my interests. do you have any non ebay links?

Stopped by my local indie shop and described what was going on. He said to disconnect the MAF sensor to see if that cleared up my issues. I'm hoping that will be the solution. I can get a MAF sensor for $80 which tastes a whole lot better than $400 for a ETM.

Welp. Disconnected the MAF. THrottle response is still crap. Seems ok when I blip it from idle, but can't get RPMs above 2500 even when floored.

I have a lot on tap this weekend, so I most likely won't get around to doing anything about it. Except maybe picking up the last couple of bulbs for the taillights.

There's a giant junkyard in Orlando that has stacks of P2 cars/wagons. Might hit that up on Monday and grab a few parts on my list just so I can finish the seat swap and re install the front bumper.

Once the seats are removed before the swap. I can pull all the door panels and try to figure out how to swap in some aftermarket speakers and run new speaker wire.

Dropping some older amps I have from a previous build off at my local mobile audio shop today for bench testing and (maybe) shipping off to JL for repair. These things have been kinda beat on but, hopefully won't require more than a cleaning.

Still haven't looked at the 12v power source in the hatch area to see if it works. Need to check that as I'm planning on tapping into that for some hatch area lighting as well as lighting for the roof rack. Nothing crazy, just thinking a couple of strip LEDs in the hatch area as well as a pair of strips along the sides of the roof basket.

Also thinking of fabbing up a cargo/tonneau cover.

Cleaning the throttle body made all the difference to my idling/starting/stalling problem. Toothbrush and carb cleaner apparently. I got the pros to do it though, an hour's labour and job done. I originally cleaned the MAF but that did nothing.

Cleaning the throttle body made all the difference to my idling/starting/stalling problem. Toothbrush and carb cleaner apparently. I got the pros to do it though, an hour's labour and job done. I originally cleaned the MAF but that did nothing.
      Yeah, that was gonna be my next step.

I don't have any stalling/hard start/idling issues tho. Starts up on first crank, idles surprisingly smoothly. No tags on the car yet, so road tests are out of the question for right now. I figure that with over 200k on the clock and the fact I bought it from a tweeker, means there's quite a bit of niggly little details that are going to need to be addressed. If cleaning the throttle body helps(even a little), I'll be happy. Then I can work on doing a legitimate stage 0 tune.
      But I'll probably hold off on that till after I can schlep it down to my indie shop and and have him plug it into the computer and see what's really going on. Good thing is the shop is like 2 miles from my house and almost all on side streets. So I don't have to really worry about tying up traffic if it goes south.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Chupacabra View Post
      Yeah, that was gonna be my next step.

I don't have any stalling/hard start/idling issues tho. Starts up on first crank, idles surprisingly smoothly. No tags on the car yet, so road tests are out of the question for right now. I figure that with over 200k on the clock and the fact I bought it from a tweeker, means there's quite a bit of niggly little details that are going to need to be addressed. If cleaning the throttle body helps(even a little), I'll be happy. Then I can work on doing a legitimate stage 0 tune.
      But I'll probably hold off on that till after I can schlep it down to my indie shop and and have him plug it into the computer and see what's really going on. Good thing is the shop is like 2 miles from my house and almost all on side streets. So I don't have to really worry about tying up traffic if it goes south.
      Had similar issues with my 850. It turned out to be points (distributor) was shorting to the chassis and was misfiring. Check coils for cracks etc or even spark plugs unable to fire they may be cracked. Once you have the el. noise on the the ground plane (chassis) you can get different messages and they can be random.

okay

Status Update

Roof rails- on
      Front bumper- on but only secured with the 2 12mm bolts on the front
      lower tail lights- on and working

Brake lights on the sides still not working tho. Did some research and I think it's probably the dual relay for fog lights/brake lights. EVERY light works EXCEPT the brake lights. The LED 3rd works just fine.

I swear this thing's gonna nickel and dime me to death

Did some research and I think it's probably the dual relay for fog lights/brake lights. EVERY light works EXCEPT the brake lights. The LED 3rd works just fine.
      Ding ding ding! Go to the junkyard and get a handful of the relays. You don't need the dual one, just get two of the PN 8651661. Will nickel and dime you a total of $2.
      2002 V70T5 - IPD Stage 1, H&R Lowering Springs

Following your progress, and like it!
      STACKS of P2s? I need a few things. PM me if you are willing to help me by pulling and shipping to MD. Nothing crazy like a motor. PS reservoir (05+) and a cargo cover (off black) for the v70.
      Welp. Disconnected the MAF. THrottle response is still crap. Seems ok when I blip it from idle, but can't get RPMs above 2500 even when floored.

I have a lot on tap this weekend, so I most likely won't get around to doing anything about it. Except maybe picking up the last couple of bulbs for the taillights.

There's a giant junkyard in Orlando that has stacks of P2 cars/wagons. Might hit that up on Monday and grab a few parts on my list just so I can finish the seat swap and re install the front bumper.

Once the seats are removed before the swap. I can pull all the door panels and try to figure out how to swap in some aftermarket speakers and run new speaker wire.

Dropping some older amps I have from a previous build off at my local mobile audio shop today for bench testing and (maybe) shipping off to JL for repair. These things have been kinda beat on but, hopefully won't require more than a cleaning.

Still haven't looked at the 12v power source in the hatch area to see if it works. Need to check that as I'm planning on tapping into that for some hatch area lighting as well as lighting for the roof rack. Nothing crazy, just thinking a couple of strip LEDs in the hatch area as well as a pair of strips along the sides of the roof basket.
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Following your progress, and like it!
      STACKS of P2s? I need a few things. PM me if you are willing to help me by pulling and shipping to MD. Nothing crazy like a motor. PS reservoir (05+) and a cargo cover (off black) for the v70.
      shoot me a list of parts you need and I can get you a ballpark price. Probably wouldn't want to ship anything bigger/heavier than a wheel. With shipping you'd be knocking on normal price's door. But small stuff is easy.

Probably going to head over there Monday or Tuesday. Just need to wrangle a day off work when my training plan says I'm off the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Duntov View Post
      Ding ding ding! Go to the junkyard and get a handful of the relays. You don't need the dual one, just get two of the PN 8651661. Will nickel and dime you a total of $2.
      now that's a good idea. Are all the relays in the cargo area panel the same (aside from that stupid dual relay)? I looked at mine and visually can't tell any diffs between them. If I could just grab a handful that would be super.

The actual location is in the rear cargo area and you have to use a 10mm socket to take the upholstery cover off. BUT - yes I believe there are other 4 prong 8651661 relays in the other locations. Take some beer cans back to save up the $2 expense!
      2002 V70T5 - IPD Stage 1, H&R Lowering Springs

PROGRESS!
      Project LongRüf Lives!

Hit up a big u-pick junkyard today, and was able to get some bits and bobs to at least make it look like I was making progress.

First up was an S80. Driver's door panel with inner handle and switchgear. YOINK. Grabbed that just in case the other Volvos in the yard were more cannibalized.

Good thing I grabbed it, cuz there were no other driver's door panels on ANY of the other Volvos

Also pulled every damn relay out of the panel in the trunk of the S80 and the V70 they had. Just in case.

Also grabbed tailgate struts off the V and the hood struts off the S. No more redneck 2x4 hood supports for this guy!

Success!

So I get home, walk the puppy and decide to try to get the tailgate area buttoned up.
      Plug in the relays, plug in the lights....NO BRAKE LIGHTS!
      Dammit!
      At this point I'm ready to throw the car into the sun.
      Deep breath.
      Check the fuses. Lo, and behold! The 15a fuse for the brake lights was burned.
      Great, not I gotta go back out and but stupid fuses.
      Picked up the "little bit o' everything" pack.

Popped the 15a in aaannnddd...

(insert happy dance here)

Time to button up the tailgate area and re-install the trim!

So, all told, I'm out $25 for the doorpanel w/switchgear
      $14 for hood/gate struts
      $6 for a pack of fuses

side note:

started it up, let it run for a bit so I could listen to some NPR. Got in, blipped the throttle, VROOM.
      Revved it to about 4500. VROOM
      so somehow my throttle response is now dialed and I can rev it thru the power band.
      Not looking a gift horse in the mouth.
      Prob gonna go buy a few lotto tix tho

I like this thread

You're not the only one...
      Good work LC.
      I like this thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

Thanks y'all.

It's been a long time since I had a project car. I forgot how frustrating/fun/horrible/fun they can be.

So this weekend I'm gonna finish up the "cosmetic" side of Project LongRüf.

I need to finish installing the front bumper- I need to pick up some plastic clips, a rivet gun, and alu rivets so I can get the bumper on securely.
      The PO plastidipped the grille black, and I have to say I don't hate the look. I did pop off the badging on the grille(insert purist outrage here). So I'll prob pick up a can or two to redo the grille and maybe the black rub strips all the way around.Or I'll hit the rub strips with some air filter oil. I have an ancient bottle of K&N filter oil from when I was drinking that kool aid.
      Prob gonna pick up some LED bulbs for the dome lights for the mid and rear lights. I kinda don't want to try to pull out the map/domes in the housing around the rearview. Knowing me I'd either end up starting a fire or I'd be driving around with a broken piece of trim hanging by some wires.

Also gotta figure out where the hell I threw the little plugs that help keep the headliner up.

I also need to vacuum it out again as I've been leaving the windows down to try to get rid of the smell of tweeker air freshener. I swear that crap's worse than the Axe body spray cloud at an 8th grade dance. I also have a feeling I'll be buying so much Febreze the inventor is gonna be able to buy a new boat.

I noticed yesterday that the seatcover on the driver's seat is held on WITH ACTUAL SCREWS. the PO just drilled some wood screws into the front of the seat to hold it on. (hilarious pics to come)

Windshield wipers front and rear

I need to install the new door panel I picked up. Eagle eyed viewers night notice it's not the same shade of beige and gas a different speaker cover style. MEH. For $25 with all the switchgear, door handle and tweeter, I'd say that's a win.

Also have to give big shouts to my friend for talking me down off the ledge. I almost bought 3 of these:

$20 per, plus another $20 for the tires. $120 for 3. But then I would have paid $$$ for the 4th along with who knows how much for new shoes on all four corners.
      Gonna stick with the puny little 15s that came stock on the car. Plus, new Firestones for the 195/15 size are on sale right now for under $40 each.

REALLY need to pull the tint. RN the car looks like it should be in the video for My Hooptie by Sir Mix-A-Lot.

Decided NOT to put my roof trim rails back on. They're SO boogered and I kinda don't really care.

Eagle eyed viewers may also notice I put the cargo rails on the roof. It was a mock up. But now I think they're gonna stay.
      A few tubes of 3M weatherstrip caulk will fill out the grooves where the roof trim used to live.

TL;DR:

Vacuum
      Dome lights
      Wipers
      Febreze
      Door panel
      Grille
      Bumper

A fun read, too. Love the 8th grade dance reference. I'm slightly jealous at the project and may be there one day. My daughter just got accepted to a pricey college and I may have to start living in a cardboard box and sell everything else I have. Then in two years my son will graduate HS and need similar. Happy but pensive. I never finished my degree...

Status Update:

After a busy morning of drinking coffee and riding bikes, I decided to get that door panel back on. Probably the easiest project I've tackled on this car. Lined everything up, plugged in the switchgear, attached the door handle, and popped in those little plastic trim rivets. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.
      But wait! the driver's door switchgear doesn't work! OH NOES! As far as I can tell, it just has to be "programmed" to the car. If it doesn't work after that, I'll just pop in the original switchgear.

S80 doorpanel:

V70 doorpanel:

Eagle Eyed viewers will notice they're not the same and the color is slightly different.
      Me: MEH.
      All I know is the door handle works and I have a new door panel for 15minutes of time and $25.

Everything was going so well too.

side note:

What the heck goes here?

It's just aft of the sunroof. The other V70s I've seen at the junkyards don't have anything here. I mean, neither do I currently, but I'd not be averse to putting whatever belongs there back.

All that's left interior wise is dome lights, whatever bit is missing in the pic, and to install seats

Almost Forgot

WOOD SCREWS DRILLED INTO THE SEAT TO HOLD THE SEAT COVER ON

Gotta love that tweeker ingenuity.

Now, remember that full frontal pic? notice those two little lights under the bumper? Me too. I spent about 10mins trying to figure out how to turn them on. I looked up a pdf of the owner's manual and found where the switch should be, but guess what?

No matter how many times I push the dummy switch where the front fog switch is supposed to be, they still don't turn on. So I'm pretty sure I bought a rare custom-ordered one-off prototype. Or maybe there's some weird Volvo voodoo to turning on the front fogs. That's probably it.
      This is a longish thread, so I might have missed it, but I think this switch assembly might already be a boneyard replacement.
      2002 V70 2.4 N/A. 261k miles. Totaled for the second time November 16, 2016, RIP.
      2004 S60 2.5T AWD (crossword hints for the bold)

side note:

What the heck goes here?

It's just aft of the sunroof. The other V70s I've seen at the junkyards don't have anything here. I mean, neither do I currently, but I'd not be averse to putting whatever belongs there back.
      Odd. I've just looked on our V70 and I've got one too, never noticed it before. Just covered with a blanking plate. Could be for one of those roof mounted screens maybe? Or on my '14 XC90 there's some sort of alarm sensor cluster or somesuch. Could be movement sensor?

Almost Forgot

WOOD SCREWS DRILLED INTO THE SEAT TO HOLD THE SEAT COVER ON

Gotta love that tweeker ingenuity.
      Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by metalbender View Post
      This is a longish thread, so I might have missed it, but I think this switch assembly might already be a boneyard replacement.
      And even better. The same guy who 'mended' the radiator and seat cover previously picking through a scrap yard just so you can scratch your head a few years later.

Quote Originally Posted by metalbender View Post
      For all I know it could be. But. When the brake light fuse blew, the PO decided to rip out the rear trim to get at the bulbs. And I mean rip it out. I found lots of broken trim bits when I was cleaning it out. So I'm not sure the PO had the foresight to cleanly replace the headlight/fog switch, but decided to go all Hulk Smash before even checking for a blown fuse. Granted, popping out the headlight/fog switch is pretty simple. Coin toss?

[QUOTE=rich1068;5153489]Odd. I've just looked on our V70 and I've got one too, never noticed it before. Just covered with a blanking plate. Could be for one of those roof mounted screens maybe? Or on my '14 XC90 there's some sort of alarm sensor cluster or somesuch. Could be movement sensor?

I honestly have no idea. Doubt it's a motion sensor or vid screen. Although this wagon is kitted out kinda oddly. It wouldn't surprise me that some shady salesman convinced whoever originally bought it that they needed rear facing vid screens with the base radio head unit.

Status Update:
      Interior: basically done. All the trim is in place including the driver's door panel. All I need to do is get the switch panel programmed to the car.
      Windows: I noticed a broken piece of weather strip along the lower edge of the rear DS door window. Not super concerned about it, but replacement is on the list. Also got a decent price quote for tint removal. Considering how much of a PITA it is to remove, I think discretion is the better part of valor in this case.
      Bumpers: still need to fully affix the front bumper. just need to borrow the neighbor's rivet gun and pick up the correct diameter rivets along with new plastic clips for along the top edge of the bumper. Also noticed a few broken rivets in the PS rear wheelwell. I also need to clean and re plastidip the grille before I re install it.
      Body: need to pull the roof rails and clean the whole roof trim area and prep for weatherstrip caulk. The clearcoat on the hood is bubbling and flaking off something fierce. Gonna hit it with some soapy water and a green scrubby to hopefully get it all off. The currently exposed paint is pretty sun baked and faded. I'm thinking a few coats of maroon primer. I might try buffing the bare paint just to see what happens. Part of me wants to paint the hood flat black and get all Fast N Furious-y, but the grown up part of my brain reminds me I'm not 22.
      Mechanicals:
      Gonna try cleaning the MAF sensor to see if that alleviates my throttle issues.
      Then I'm probably gonna ride it dirty down to the local indie guy to plug it in and let Skynet do it's thing.

The whole project basically hinges on what the computer says. I still have about $800 left to spend to get this thing road worthy, and I don't wanna spend it all in one place.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast