Updates and mods to my XC60. Lots of pics inside.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some may remember that I recently bought an XC60 from an insurance company after it was totaled by a friend/customer of mine. I did the body work and got it back on the road. Now I've begun adding the exciting goodies. On Friday, I had the polestar software installed. I also have the polestar rear winglets which I installed a while back. Yesterday, I installed a Snabb intake pipe, as well as a Snabb intake with maf housing and shield. I also installed lowering springs and an aluminum skid plate under the engine. I topped it off with the silk metal trim over the license plate from a 2014+ XC60 R-Design. I had to move the Volvo emblem up a bit to accommodate it. I included a pic of what the car looked like a few months ago as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2010 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design | Passion Red | Polestar + Snabb | 93,000 Miles
      2008 Volvo S80 V8 | Ember Black | All Options and Packages | Mods | 307,000 Miles
      1998 Volvo V70 R | 2001 Audi S8 | 1992 Subaru SVX | 2004 Maserati Spyder
      My XC90 Safety Demo Cutaway Cars

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow.

This looks fantastic.

Oops like you put the new style polestar emblems on as well.

Now I'm envious.

2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver

Yes! I did install the new style emblems. This is now the only polestar emblem you can get. I wanted it to match, so I changed over all of the emblems.

2008 Volvo S80 V8 | Ember Black | All Options and Packages | Mods | 307,000 Miles

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

(Hers) Current Ride - 15.5 XC60 T6 AWD
      ( His ) Current Ride - 2016 XC90 T6 AWD

(Hers) Past Rides - 93 244, 05 XC90 T5 AWD
      ( His ) Past Rides - 91 745, 05 S40 T5 FWD

Modified engine cover?

http://www.vivaperformance.com/turbo...0-xc70-iii-t6/

I was also looking at the Snabb intake but according to this it says that the original plastic engine cover can't be used. However, I see from your photos that you did use the original engine cover. Did you have to modify it?
      Where did you get your intake from?

Looks good! I like the stance and minimal wheel well gap.

What kind of lowering springs? Eibach or H&R? Are those 20 inch wheels? How is the ride quality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons, Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

What? No mud flaps? .....

You have some serious monster skills there, 'snowin.

Wow that looks stunning! YOu got a great taste for mods my friend. I was drooling over your XC90, then over the S80 and now this! I want to buy an XC60 now... UGH you are breaking my bank account. We may jsut have to come visit you one of these days. You got a lot of fans from Michigan....
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

Quote Originally Posted by tunedxc60 View Post

What kind of lowering springs? Eibach or H&R? Are those 20 inch wheels? How is the ride quality?

I need to know too! It looks like a H&R drop. He's got the stock cratus 20's
      15 XC60 RD
      -Bloxsport wheel spacers 10mm/25mm
      -Eibach Pro-kit springs

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder999 View Post
      http://www.vivaperformance.com/turbo...0-xc70-iii-t6/

I was also looking at the Snabb intake but according to this it says that the original plastic engine cover can't be used. However, I see from your photos that you did use the original engine cover. Did you have to modify it?
      Where did you get your intake from?
      That is not the original engine cover. That is the Snabb engine cover. I took the emblem off of the original cover and attached it to the Snabb cover. I ordered the Snabb cover in the optional wrinkle black powder coated finish. It is aluminum.

I bought it directly from Snabb.

Quote Originally Posted by tunedxc60 View Post

They're H&R springs for the 2007+ S80 FWD application. That is what Swedespeed used for their project XC60 back in 2010, so that's what I went with. They fit perfectly. Those are the 20" Cratus wheels and the ride is fine. Of course, it's significantly less smooth as before, but I like it. It's not harsh at all, but you do feel the road more.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyE View Post
      What? No mud flaps? .....

You have some serious monster skills there, 'snowin.
      I ordered mud flaps. They're on the way. The roads here are really dirty most of the time, so they're necessary. I have them on my S80 and my mother has them on her XC60.

I'm not sure how they'll look on my more "sporty" car, but I think they're necessary.

BTW, what do you mean by monster skills?

Quote Originally Posted by V50R View Post
      Wow that looks stunning! YOu got a great taste for mods my friend. I was drooling over your XC90, then over the S80 and now this! I want to buy an XC60 now... UGH you are breaking my bank account. We may jsut have to come visit you one of these days. You got a lot of fans from Michigan....
      Thanks for the compliment! I have a lot of friends in Michigan and Detroit is one of my favorite cities! I'm hoping to host a meet at the indie volvo dealership I have one of these days. I have a lot of cool Volvo stuff on display and plenty of space for a meet. Maybe this summer or fall.

Quote Originally Posted by itwontstopsnowin View Post
      Thanks for the compliment! I have a lot of friends in Michigan and Detroit is one of my favorite cities! I'm hoping to host a meet at the indie volvo dealership I have one of these days. I have a lot of cool Volvo stuff on display and plenty of space for a meet. Maybe this summer or fall.

That would be wicked cool! I think we will have a solid convoy of Volvos itching for a road trip! Now having driven the XC90 with the V8 do you miss it or have you now found entirely new love for Inline 6 and turbos? I was thinking about making the same switch! Same color too!

2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

Quote Originally Posted by V50R View Post
      That would be wicked cool! I think we will have a solid convoy of Volvos itching for a road trip! Now having driven the XC90 with the V8 do you miss it or have you now found entirely new love for Inline 6 and turbos? I was thinking about making the same switch! Same color too!

I have zero regrets. I gave the XC90 to my brother in law since he has two small kids that he was hauling around in a very unsafe ford minivan. That was one of the justifications of the switch. I like the XC60 a lot more. The interior seems put together a lot better. My XC90 was kind of a rattle trap. The XC60 just feels tighter too, but it has less than 1/3 the mileage that the XC90 has. Regardless though, I like the P3 a lot better than the P2 cars. If I could have the V8 in the XC60, that would be the best of both worlds.

Count me in!

2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons, Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

I ordered mud flaps. They're on the way. The roads here are really dirty most of the time, so they're necessary. I have them on my S80 and my mother has them on her XC60.

I'm not sure how they'll look on my more "sporty" car, but I think they're necessary.

BTW, what do you mean by monster skills?
      The flap's will look good on the sporty XC60, IMO.
      Monster skills (talent, ability .... uh stuff like that) fixing a wreck of a car that looks THAT incredible. From where I'm sitting looking at the pics, that vehicle is something to be very proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyE View Post
      The flap's will look good on the sporty XC60, IMO.
      Monster skills (talent, ability .... uh stuff like that) fixing a wreck of a car that looks THAT incredible. From where I'm sitting looking at the pics, that vehicle is something to be very proud of.
      Thank you for the compliment! I truly appreciate it!

I really like the looks of the Snabb intake system. Do you get a lot of heat soak from it in the summer? I loved my intake system I put into my C30. That thing was an animal!

itwontstopsnowin now that you've been on the H&R and the B&G springs both designed for the S80 how do you compare the rides.
      15 XC60 RD
      -Eibach Pro-kit springs

Glad you step over to the xc60 side. Been following you on the S80 build. Most importantly, thank you for, many of us, to keep the build dream alive! Hopefully, I will be able to come to your shop some day! Ever consider the IPD rear sway bar? It really plants the car down when cornering.

2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Black Stone
      -Climate Package/ Dynamic Package

Future List :
      - Polestar upgrade/ Heicosportive Exterior & Interior/ Heicosportive BBK

Quote Originally Posted by bhom920 View Post
      itwontstopsnowin now that you've been on the H&R and the B&G springs both designed for the S80 how do you compare the rides.
      Well, that's a tough one. My S80 has Four-C, so it's not really a direct comparison. I'll tell you what my experiences are with both, though.

The H&R Springs on the XC60 (With R-Design Shocks) are great. The ride is tight, but not harsh. It's kind of bumpy on the brick streets in my neighborhood, but otherwise, it's great. I'm very happy with the ride. The car corners flatter than before and drives more like a sport sedan than an SUV or "Crossover".

The B&G springs on my S80 are another story. With the Four-C set on "Comfort", there isn't enough damping, so the car vaguely pogos and is bouncy. With it in "Sport", there is enough damping and it doesn't bounce. However, the ride is harsh over rough surfaces, and when you hit a pot hole, it feels like the car has virtually no suspension at all. It's not HORRIBLE, and I've lived with it since 170k miles (305k now). If I could go back to the way the stock springs rode and not have the ride height of a monster truck, I'd do that. However, the performance benefits and appearance benefits are worth the less-than-good ride.
      Last edited by itwontstopsnowin; 02-22-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by itswentime View Post
      Glad you step over to the xc60 side. Been following you on the S80 build. Most importantly, thank you for, many of us, to keep the build dream alive! Hopefully, I will be able to come to your shop some day! Ever consider the IPD rear sway bar? It really plants the car down when cornering.

I have the IPD rear sway bar on my S80. It is great in function, but I'm hesitant to get another as it has rusted badly. I'm going to have to remove it soon and have it blasted and powdercoated.

Quote Originally Posted by odiespankers07 View Post
      I really like the looks of the Snabb intake system. Do you get a lot of heat soak from it in the summer? I loved my intake system I put into my C30. That thing was an animal!
      I just put these parts on, so i don't have any summer experience with them. Also, it doesn't get very hot here even in the summer. I intend on installing the Do88 Intercooler as my next mod. It's supposed to make a huge difference.

Very nice job on getting the car fixed up like new. You cant tell at all from pics that it was hit. Was there frame damage?
      How do you like the intake? Do you feel any difference with it? I am surprised you didn't do the aftermarket intercooler. Since you had the whole front take apart, it would have been easy to put it on.
      2015 XC60 R-Design
      2005 G35 -modified

Well, that's a tough one. My S80 has Four-C, so it's not really a direct comparison. I'll tell you what my experiences are with both, though.

The H&R Springs on the XC60 (With R-Design Shocks) are great. The ride is tight, but not harsh. It's kind of bumpy on the brick streets in my neighborhood, but otherwise, it's great. I'm very happy with the ride. The car corners flatter than before and drives more like a sport sedan than an SUV or "Crossover".

The K&B springs on my S80 are another story. With the Four-C set on "Comfort", there isn't enough damping, so the car vaguely pogos and is bouncy. With it in "Sport", there is enough damping and it doesn't bounce. However, the ride is harsh over rough surfaces, and when you hit a pot hole, it feels like the car has virtually no suspension at all. It's not HORRIBLE, and I've lived with it since 170k miles (305k now). If I could go back to the way the stock springs rode and not have the ride height of a monster truck, I'd do that. However, the performance benefits and appearance benefits are worth the less-than-good ride.
      Thanks. Have you gotten a chance to fully load down your xc60 with the H&R springs installed? I know there has been a lot of complaints about a harsh ride on these, but no one has mentioned is it harsh only when loaded down (because of the progressive rate springs all around) or at all times. I know that the rear of the car sits on the rear bump stops when these cars are lowered so i'm wondering if the harshness that people complain about is because of this, or the spring rates themselves.

Also could you post up some measurements for me? I'm looking for the measurement from approximately the center of your wheel to the bottom of your fender. I'd like to compare with the eibach's that I currently have installed. Thanks
      15 XC60 RD
      -Eibach Pro-kit springs

Quote Originally Posted by LVE2DRV View Post
      Very nice job on getting the car fixed up like new. You cant tell at all from pics that it was hit. Was there frame damage?
      How do you like the intake? Do you feel any difference with it? I am surprised you didn't do the aftermarket intercooler. Since you had the whole front take apart, it would have been easy to put it on.
      There wasn't any frame damage. There was a small extension that goes from the frame to the lower radiator support that was bent, but it was a bolt-on piece. It was easy to replace. If the damage was about 1/2" further toward the center of the car, it would have caught the front bumper beam and would have caused a lot more damage, and the airbags would have probably deployed. It was very lucky that it was hit the way that it was. The damage was mostly superficial and in my opinion it shouldn't have been totaled. There is absolutely no indication that it was ever in an accident when you look at the car now.

I love the intake. As I said above, I had polestar installed less than a day before I installed the intake, so I can't tell what gains are from the intake and what is because of the tune.

The Do88 intercooler is next on my upgrade list.

Yesterday I added a neat little detail to my XC60. I ordered and installed the cargo cover from an XC60 Ocean Race Edition. I've loved this detail ever since I saw it at an auto show in 2015.

Love it! That's a great detail!
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

Yesterday I added a neat little detail to my XC60. I ordered and installed the cargo cover from an XC60 Ocean Race Edition. I've loved this detail ever since I saw it at an auto show in 2015.

Very nice!
      How much it cost and what is the part number. Are there any other colours combinations? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2015.5 XC60 Premier Plus, bi-xenon, Tech+Blis Packages, Nav. w/Sensus Connect, Cristal White, 20"Titania Wheels, Sport Seats

Great thread! Rig is looking awesome! I the world map cargo cover is pretty neat, I have never seen that before.

The polestar wings on the spoiler really look good, they make way more of a visual impact on yours than I have seen in other pics.

Is that the IPD skid plate? I've been considering a plate for a little bit now.

2010 XC60 T6 ~ 2009 S40 2.4 ~ 2001 V70 2.4 (buh-bye) ~ 2002 S40 1.9T (buh-bye)

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      Love it! That's a great detail!
      +1 had no idea that was an option. As a map freak, that's definitely a must have if we end up with an XC60. As her time to purchase gets closer, my girlfriend is starting to waver between XC90 V8 or XC60 T6. I think if I show her this thread, it'll sway her opinion for sure.
      2006 S60R MT Sonic Blue with Atacama
      2010 S80 V8 Executive White Pearl with Sandstone Beige
      Previously 2006 V70R MT, 2004 S60R MT, 1993 245 NA, 2006 XC90 V8

The B&G springs on my S80 are another story. With the Four-C set on "Comfort", there isn't enough damping, so the car vaguely pogos and is bouncy. With it in "Sport", there is enough damping and it doesn't bounce. However, the ride is harsh over rough surfaces, and when you hit a pot hole, it feels like the car has virtually no suspension at all. It's not HORRIBLE, and I've lived with it since 170k miles (305k now). If I could go back to the way the stock springs rode and not have the ride height of a monster truck, I'd do that. However, the performance benefits and appearance benefits are worth the less-than-good ride.
      I have 4C suspension, is there any suggestions regarding what application, spring set up I should look out for?! It's a family car so I don't want to be unbearable stiff. Wife gets car sick on "comfort" mode. Right now the "sport" mode seems to be a happy medium. If I am riding solo I go "advanced"

2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Black Stone
      -Climate Package/ Dynamic Package

Future List :
      - Polestar upgrade/ Heicosportive Exterior & Interior/ Heicosportive BBK

Quote Originally Posted by itswentime View Post
      I have 4C suspension, is there any suggestions regarding what application, spring set up I should look out for?! It's a family car so I don't want to be unbearable stiff. Wife gets car sick on "comfort" mode. Right now the "sport" mode seems to be a happy medium. If I am riding solo I go "advanced"

Based on my experience with the two different types of springs, I'd go with the h&r set. It definitely seems to have a lower spring rate. The ride is better. It's funny you should mention that. My partner also gets car sick with it set on "comfort". I pretty much always keep mine in sport unless I plan to really carve up an exit ramp, then i use advanced for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by narcisgeorgescu View Post
      Very nice!
      How much it cost and what is the part number. Are there any other colours combinations? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      This cargo cover only came on 2015 XC60 Ocean Race Editions. I remembered seeing it at an auto show, and in the parts catalog for 2015, there was one cargo cover listed that cost about twice as much as the others, so I had a hunch it might be this one. It was. It is only available as show in charcoal/offblack with a silk metal cover.

The part number is 39832215 and the list price is $388.90. It's definitely pricey, but it's quite beautiful and it's a great conversation piece. I love rare details like this.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast