Updates and mods to my XC60. Lots of pics inside. - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Very nice looking XC60, well done!
      '00 Mystic Silver metallic V70R, Rear Wing, Dolby/GROM, TRACS mod
      '02 Desert Wind S40 Sports premium/winter pkg
      '12 Savile Gray metallic S60 T5, Premium/Climate/BLIS/City Safety/rear spoiler
      '13 Seashell metallic XC60 T6, Platinum/Climate/BLIS/Polestar-tuned/IPD anti-sway bar
      '13A DICE/VIDA, x's '93 850 GLT, '04 XC90

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Loving this thread so far. Keep the updates coming! Your XC60 is a beaut!
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

Are you considering adding K-Pax exhaust too?
      2015 XC60 R-Design
      2005 G35 -modified

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Does the intake setup change the sound much when accelerating?

Quote Originally Posted by LVE2DRV View Post
      Are you considering adding K-Pax exhaust too?
      I think the k pax exhaust is just too expensive and I'm afraid it'll be too loud for my husband who is the primary driver of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2010 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design | Passion Red | Polestar + Snabb | 95,000 Miles
      2008 Volvo S80 V8 | Ember Black | All Options and Packages | Mods | 311,000 Miles
      1998 Volvo V70 R | 2004 Maserati M128 Coupe | 1992 Subaru SVX
      My XC90 Safety Demo Cutaway Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder999 View Post
      Does the intake setup change the sound much when accelerating?
      Yes. A lot! You can really hear the turbo. The car sounds MEAN but it's not crazy loud. It's perfect.

2008 Volvo S80 V8 | Ember Black | All Options and Packages | Mods | 311,000 Miles

Updates and mods to my XC60. Lots of pics inside.

Quote Originally Posted by LVE2DRV View Post
      Very nice job on getting the car fixed up like new. You cant tell at all from pics that it was hit. Was there frame damage?
      How do you like the intake? Do you feel any difference with it? I am surprised you didn't do the aftermarket intercooler. Since you had the whole front take apart, it would have been easy to put it on.
      I took a pic of the bolt-on part of the frame that I replaced. Here it is. I believe it was like 90 bucks.

My do88 intercooler install went well. I also decided to add bilstein hd struts to compliment the springs. The ride is great. I also installed Chinese knock-off mud flaps which are identical to oem and fit perfectly. Here are some pics.

Im stumped! That XC60 makes me want to get rid of my XC90...
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

When I was looking at XC90s and XC60s, I discovered the Ocean Race editions. I liked that cover back then too.

When I was making my decision, my dilemma was broken down between space and technology. The XC90 definitely had more space but was dated. The XC60 had better technology but had less space.

I don't think I could have made a bad decision either way but opted for the XC60.

I'm the type that would put 15 bags of mulch in the back of my Lincoln MKZ at Home Depot and drive home in it. Getting the XC60 didn't change that. I put a storm door inside of it this weekend. Didn't think it would ride well on top and I didn't have my straps with me.

I'd pick the XC60 all over again and really have a hard time justifying replacing it unless it ever fails me for some reason. My wife is thinking of upgrading it to the 2018 XC60 though and bypassing her S90 until a little later.

I'm not sure how I feel about that right now.

I love the look of the sleeker and sportier XC60s like this one.

2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver

Is it difficult to change the front struts? I haven't done that kind of job on my car yet. What should I look out for if I am to do it myself? Much appreciated. I know the fronts are due on mine.

QUOTE=itwontstopsnowin;5117337]My do88 intercooler install went well. I also decided to add bilstein hd struts to compliment the springs. The ride is great. I also installed Chinese knock-off mud flaps which are identical to oem and fit perfectly. Here are some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Changing the struts on a P3 Volvo SUCKS. You have to completely unbolt the knuckle assembly and remove the axle from it. That gives you enough clearance to get the strut to slide out of the knuckle, but they are almost always seized in there. They're probably the worst struts to remove of any car I've worked on. If you haven't done much work on cars, I'd recommend having a pro do the fronts. The rear shocks and springs are super easy.

I will look for an indy to do this. I am going to order parts tomorrow. How long does this job usually take with these nuisances? I also am getting the rear right bearing replaced, and all should be good for a while

Quote Originally Posted by itwontstopsnowin View Post
      Changing the struts on a P3 Volvo SUCKS. You have to completely unbolt the knuckle assembly and remove the axle from it. That gives you enough clearance to get the strut to slide out of the knuckle, but they are almost always seized in there. They're probably the worst struts to remove of any car I've worked on. If you haven't done much work on cars, I'd recommend having a pro do the fronts. The rear shocks and springs are super easy.
      A simple trick I do is to remove the bolt holding the strut tothe knuckle, place a washer in between the slit in the back of the knuckle, then put the bolt in the other way, and tighten it down a bit. It will open up the knuckle just enough for you to get the strut to slide out.
      Last edited by ieatglue; 03-25-2017 at 11:39 PM.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you take that wall with you

I will give this a shot if I do it myself. Thanks for the helpful tip!

Quote Originally Posted by tarrbot View Post
      When I was looking at XC90s and XC60s, I discovered the Ocean Race editions. I liked that cover back then too.

When I was making my decision, my dilemma was broken down between space and technology. The XC90 definitely had more space but was dated. The XC60 had better technology but had less space.

I don't think I could have made a bad decision either way but opted for the XC60.

I'm the type that would put 15 bags of mulch in the back of my Lincoln MKZ at Home Depot and drive home in it. Getting the XC60 didn't change that. I put a storm door inside of it this weekend. Didn't think it would ride well on top and I didn't have my straps with me.

I'd pick the XC60 all over again and really have a hard time justifying replacing it unless it ever fails me for some reason. My wife is thinking of upgrading it to the 2018 XC60 though and bypassing her S90 until a little later.

I'm not sure how I feel about that right now.

I love the look of the sleeker and sportier XC60s like this one.
      We managed to fit 25 bags of mulch in the XC60 and another 20 in the V60 a few years back. The last two years we had 9 yards bulk delivered for around the same price as the Home Depot (~$2/bag); less fuss.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

Quote Originally Posted by itwontstopsnowin View Post
      I agree, if you're not skilled/experienced or have an experienced buddy there, don't have the proper tools and work area, just pay a shop. Come on, $300-400? There are other things to be a cheap azz about. I've wasted a few long sweaty-dirty days helping folks change-out suspensions before. Things I used to do for beer and pizza.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2