Auto Start/Stop not working?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Auto Start/Stop not working?

My Start/Stop has not worked for months...car has been at the dealer multiple times for software upgrades and rollbacks, as well as battery replacements, yet the problem still persists.

Has anyone had success finding an actual solution? As someone who does a lot of suburbs driving I really appreciated that feature!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Same here, except once when it was over 75 degrees here the south. Outside temp has a lot to do with it... and you're up north.

I've got he same problem. It works after coming back from the dealer as they hook the car up to power. A day or two later it stops. My wife works very close to our house so regular commutes are quite short. That said, even after a 175 mile highway commute, it never restores.

We have air suspension and let it lower and raise when parked, I think that cuts some power from the battery.
      '16 Cadillac ATS-V - Phantom Grey - 6MT, Carbon Pkg, Luxury, RECARO, Suede, Red Brembos , Sunroof
      '16 Volvo XC90 R-Design - Passion Red - Polestar, Convenience, 4C Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, CarPlay
      SOLD - '13 XC60 R-Design - Ice White - Platinum, Climate Pkg w/ Boosters, BLIS

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by doubleXC90 View Post
      My Start/Stop has not worked for months...car has been at the dealer multiple times for software upgrades and rollbacks, as well as battery replacements, yet the problem still persists.

Has anyone had success finding an actual solution? As someone who does a lot of suburbs driving I really appreciated that feature!
      When was the last rollback done? Mine stopped working around November, they rolled it back late January. Start stop has worked flawless since.

This is the latest full fix as I understand it, came out in Feb 2017 and should over write the January roll back.

TJ 32288.1.3

Title of this TJ is:

Low Battery Message, Engine Remote Start inop, at 12V battery

I have a 2017 XC-90, that came with the 12V battery issue and I spend 2.5 months working with local Volvo dealer to resolve. The Jan rollback for the VCM has fixed my issues, as of yet, I have not gone in for TJ 32288.1.3 and will most likely hold off since everything seems to be working.

Notes on Start/stop.

Even with this rollback, (Jan) start/stop on my car does not work 100%. I have more problems at night than day. Most of the times at night it will not work, I assume the headlights have more drain, but not sure. During the day start/stop works 85% of the time. Issues I have noticed.

1. Start/stop takes at least 2 to 5 minutes to show ready (ready is displayed in white) on my screen. Once this occurs in day time it's pretty reliable.
      2. If I happen to have the car stopped with the steering turned (like in a drive through line) many times start stop will go from white to grey, thus not available
      3. If I am stopped on a incline or decline, many times start/stop will turn grey and thus not be available
      4. If I am in situation like a drive through line where you are moving/stopping, moving stopping etc. most times after the 2nd stop, start/stop goes grey, thus not available
      5. As mentioned above, at night, I rarely see start stop go White, it stays grey.

Paul Caldwell
      2017 XC-90

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
      This is the latest full fix as I understand it, came out in Feb 2017 and should over write the January roll back.

TJ 32288.1.3

Title of this TJ is:

Low Battery Message, Engine Remote Start inop, at 12V battery

I have a 2017 XC-90, that came with the 12V battery issue and I spend 2.5 months working with local Volvo dealer to resolve. The Jan rollback for the VCM has fixed my issues, as of yet, I have not gone in for TJ 32288.1.3 and will most likely hold off since everything seems to be working.

Notes on Start/stop.

Even with this rollback, (Jan) start/stop on my car does not work 100%. I have more problems at night than day. Most of the times at night it will not work, I assume the headlights have more drain, but not sure. During the day start/stop works 85% of the time. Issues I have noticed.

1. Start/stop takes at least 2 to 5 minutes to show ready (ready is displayed in white) on my screen. Once this occurs in day time it's pretty reliable.
      2. If I happen to have the car stopped with the steering turned (like in a drive through line) many times start stop will go from white to grey, thus not available
      3. If I am stopped on a incline or decline, many times start/stop will turn grey and thus not be available
      4. If I am in situation like a drive through line where you are moving/stopping, moving stopping etc. most times after the 2nd stop, start/stop goes grey, thus not available
      5. As mentioned above, at night, I rarely see start stop go White, it stays grey.

Paul Caldwell
      2017 XC-90
      Aside from the night driving, all of the other cases you mentioned are known to cause start/stop to not work. Specifically, 1) engine must first warm up, 2) power steering engaged requires engine running, 3) hill ascent/descent assist requires engine running, 4) frequent stops in short period of time/distance will temporarily disable start/stop. As for 5, perhaps the headlights are indeed the cause of it not working.

I had taken in my 2017 M+ for 10k service and mentioned the auto start/stop used to work but I have not seen it work in recent months. They did total software upgrade (verified because I see android auto icon) and also said that failure was due to low power. they had to replace a sensor that monitors power? Said problem was fixed but today I drove car for first time and Ready indicator is gray the whole time, never worked or never saw it white. does it go white during normal driving or only when braking? Has anyone found a solution before I call the dealer back?

Quote Originally Posted by doubleXC90 View Post

In settings, it should show why the Auto Start / Stop hasn't engaged. At least in the S60s...I've got to imagine the Xc90s do too.

Quote Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post
      I had taken in my 2017 M+ for 10k service and mentioned the auto start/stop used to work but I have not seen it work in recent months. They did total software upgrade (verified because I see android auto icon) and also said that failure was due to low power. they had to replace a sensor that monitors power? Said problem was fixed but today I drove car for first time and Ready indicator is gray the whole time, never worked or never saw it white. does it go white during normal driving or only when braking? Has anyone found a solution before I call the dealer back?
      We're in the same boat except the dealer has never really done anything except plug it in and do a software upgrade. The feature worked great for 2-3 months when we first got the car and has pretty much stopped working after that. If we drive in excess of 200-300km in one go it does sometimes work for a bit but that's it. We recently had our first service and mentioned the problem. It worked for a day afterwards. If that. It's really hard to believe that Volvo doesn't have a proper fix for this issue given that it seems unreliable for so many people. I'll be more insistent the next time it goes into the dealership...but the dealership is a bit of a distance anyways and with the Volvo it's not like it's in for service often...so I'm sadly just apathetic to the problem at this point. Which is unfortunate since most of driving is city driving and I really do like the feature when it's operational.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      In settings, it should show why the Auto Start / Stop hasn't engaged. At least in the S60s...I've got to imagine the Xc90s do too.
      Settings as in from Sensus? I looked around and couldn't find anything...

Quote Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post
      Settings as in from Sensus? I looked around and couldn't find anything...
      Under the S60 (and presumably the XC90) Go to My Car ---> Drive E Settings --- Start/ Stop

It will give you a reason why Auto Start / Stop has not engaged.

If they have updated the software and it doesn't work, they should replace the battery. It happened to me, and it is working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by carz View Post
      If they have updated the software and it doesn't work, they should replace the battery. It happened to me, and it is working fine.
      ]
      I have been hopeful many times that the software update would fix the issue and it seems it hasn't so I will be very clear about my expectations next time. For curiousity's sake did they replace the main battery or support battery?

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Under the S60 (and presumably the XC90) Go to My Car ---> Drive E Settings --- Start/ Stop

It will give you a reason why Auto Start / Stop has not engaged.
      In the XC90 T6 we do not have a Drive E settings pages

Quote Originally Posted by BoogysXC90 View Post
      In the XC90 T6 we do not have a Drive E settings pages
      http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars...a801513c3da563

Volvos help guide on the XC90. Guess its different than S60. Was a shot in dark.

Quote Originally Posted by tri77ion View Post
      ]
      For curiousity's sake did they replace the main battery or support battery?
      Not sure, they tested them and they found one of the cells was faulty, and therefore the capacity was limited. I wanted them to charge it the first time, because I imagined it could not be good to have the car with a low battery for several months in extreme cold weather, but I had to go a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by tri77ion View Post
      We're in the same boat except the dealer has never really done anything except plug it in and do a software upgrade. The feature worked great for 2-3 months when we first got the car and has pretty much stopped working after that. If we drive in excess of 200-300km in one go it does sometimes work for a bit but that's it. We recently had our first service and mentioned the problem. It worked for a day afterwards. If that. It's really hard to believe that Volvo doesn't have a proper fix for this issue given that it seems unreliable for so many people. I'll be more insistent the next time it goes into the dealership...but the dealership is a bit of a distance anyways and with the Volvo it's not like it's in for service often...so I'm sadly just apathetic to the problem at this point. Which is unfortunate since most of driving is city driving and I really do like the feature when it's operational.
      Sounds like my story. My 2017 S90 had the low 12V battery warning issue (every morning starting a month after buying it). It was "fixed" with a software update but the start/stop isn't very reliable. From time to time, especially after long trip it goes berserk and stops within 1 second of me stopping (at times 2-3 times in a row while I try to park the car). However, 90% of the time, there is no stop/start at all. This isn't something I consider working very well in my car. Maybe there is some issue with my battery capacity... I should bring that up next time I go to the dealer (which might be soon given the side airbag recall).

Just to pile on, our auto start stop has not worked in months. We had an update done in February. Has not worked since.
      '94 850 Turbo - sold -'07 V70R - sold
      2015.5 V60 Polestar | Rebel Blue | #64
      2016 XC90 #492
      2009 BMW 135i M
      2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT

well dealer said was fixed when i picked up from 10k service but it wasn't so I have another appointment scheduled for next week just for this. will see if anything happens

I had a ton of start/stop issues. I know the system well. There are 2 batteries. You have to make sure each are fully charged and then you have to make sure they give you the latest Total Upgrade which will stop a battery drain while the vehicle is off.

Have them test the batteries (and replace if need be), and then get the software update. If you still have problems, then some deeper problem may be at play.

Quote Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
      I had a ton of start/stop issues. I know the system well. There are 2 batteries. You have to make sure each are fully charged and then you have to make sure they give you the latest Total Upgrade which will stop a battery drain while the vehicle is off.

Have them test the batteries (and replace if need be), and then get the software update. If you still have problems, then some deeper problem may be at play.
      will discuss these points, thank you!

Yeah they had to replace my primary battery as well. No issues since then and when the TSB was performed to fix the battery drain.

Ours hasn't been working for months. We didn't care about fixing it during the hot summer, but after the fist service we expected it to work but it doesn't. They couldn't test it on the day they serviced the car because it was hot day. Going back in few days. Only once in few weeks I saw message something along the lines '12V battery low charge warning'. It was while cleaning the car so I thought may have been caused by opening and closing the doors to often...
      2016 XC90 D5 Inscription Twilight Bronze

Our battery was replaced under warranty after citing Start/Stop never worked. So far it's only been a couple weeks but it still works.
      '16 Cadillac ATS-V - Phantom Grey - 6MT, Carbon Pkg, Luxury, RECARO, Suede, Red Brembos , Sunroof
      '16 Volvo XC90 R-Design - Passion Red - Polestar, Convenience, 4C Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, CarPlay
      SOLD - '13 XC60 R-Design - Ice White - Platinum, Climate Pkg w/ Boosters, BLIS

Same here, our start stop has not worked for a few months. Dealer kept insisting that conditions weren't right and even printed a sheet for me even though I knew what conditions causes it to stop working. And then they proceeded to tell me updates may have fixed it. But to this date, not only is it not working, there is now a warning message about the start/stop system needing service.
      Cars:
      2016 Volvo XC90 T6 First Edition
      2015 BMW X5 XDrive50i

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements