A Modest XC Build - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Looks great! There is an app in the (Dutch) appstore from VOLVO that allows you to change rims on your car. Thats what I used, no photoshop. Think they changed/updated the app lately. Nice feature but not sure if it can be found in the US store. Those wheels realy look similar, didnt know, nothing wrong with them. Thick spokes, nice.
      XC70|D5|AWD|GT6|MY11|Polestar|IPD SWAY|

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I got in a 2015 S80 yesterday and I am going to have to keep an eye on a donor vehicle to get this interior if but for the cup holder cover alone!

That wood accordion piece looks so much better than the plastic one!

I got that wood piece from Volvo, costs $100.

There are at least two types of wood, the first one I got from a donor car and it did not match the rest. I think it´s called "Dark wood".
      XC70 T6 Inscription Polestar

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

A Modest XC Build

Does it come in chrome/silver too for the P3?

Update:

Looks like the OceanRace does!!! Or is it the light?

Last edited by CrossingCountries; 03-02-2017 at 05:39 AM.

I did not know that piece could be had separately. Huh, good to know! Do you remember what the part number was? I seem to be having trouble pulling it up in Volvo's parts catalog.

And @CC, I've seen the aluminum interior trim on a couple of potential donor cars, but, I think they were all S80s. Fully interchangeable though.

I'm going to hold off buying extra trim pieces until I actually make the car road worthy though. Once all final costs are tallied, then I will know what extra I have to spend.

My thermostat arrived today but I did not get a chance to install it

Does your shifter light up?

2006 XC70 70k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Mazda3 S GT 28k - Black/Black - "Corey"
      2007 XC70 57k - Black/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2011 Tacoma 12k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2013 XC70 35k - Black Stone/Off-Black - "Rolf"

Quote Originally Posted by skywolf View Post
      Does your shifter light up?
      It should. Yours is a 2012 and so is mine.

Hah, you, CC, and myself will all have almost the same car plus minus variations on engine, wheels, and metallic paint.

Quote Originally Posted by ProlixArgon View Post
      It should. Yours is a 2012 and so is mine.

Hah, you, CC, and myself will all have almost the same car plus minus variations on engine, wheels, and metallic paint.
      2013 here.
      2006 XC70 70k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Mazda3 S GT 28k - Black/Black - "Corey"
      2007 XC70 57k - Black/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2011 Tacoma 12k - Green/Sand - "Timber"

I have a 2012 with the old style shifter, no light.

Looks like an online Volvo parts place is having a sale on factory wheels, if you're still undecided or are looking.

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/pr...038ad-92955965
      Tony

2017 Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport
      1958 Volvo PV444 - B20/M40 swap
      Past Bricks: '95 855, '98 V70T5M, '04 V70R M, '10 XC60, '83 245 Turbo, '12 XC70 T6 P*

Quote Originally Posted by T5 for Life View Post
      I have a 2012 with the old style shifter, no light.

Looks like an online Volvo parts place is having a sale on factory wheels, if you're still undecided or are looking.

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/pr...038ad-92955965
      Hmm, I don't have the illuminated shifter then. Oh well, I'm pretty sure I've seen a retrofit guide somewhere.

As for wheels? I'm still undecided, but I did just buy a 07 S80 V8 parts car with a set of Zubras on it. So I have a set of them, Meracs, Balius, Venators, and maybe a complete set of Fortunas on hand. I wish the car didn't have Pirelli's on it as they are always such a pain to mount and balance.

Hmm, I don't have the illuminated shifter then. Oh well, I'm pretty sure I've seen a retrofit guide somewhere.

As for wheels? I'm still undecided, but I did just buy a 07 S80 V8 parts car with a set of Zubras on it. So I have a set of them, Meracs, Balius, Venators, and maybe a complete set of Fortunas on hand. I wish the car didn't have Pirelli's on it as they are always such a pain to mount and balance.
      From this sticky:
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...to-quot-Thread

This thread:
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ifter-Retrofit
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

The Pirellis on these cars SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. Other than that, no strong feelings on those tires.

Those are some decent wheels you have lying around. I'm a huge fan of the Bors 19" that came on some S80s, too. Heavy, but great design, imho.

There is definitely a retrofit for the illuminated shifter handle out there. I've seen it, too. (EDIT: IT MAGICALLY APPEARED ABOVE ME!!!!!!)
      Tony

Past Bricks: '95 855, '98 V70T5M, '04 V70R M, '10 XC60, '83 245 Turbo, '12 XC70 T6 P*

This is another wheel option I am seriously considering. I've got a set already so it's tempting.

Meh. They look like inexpensive Ford wheels. no offense
      Tony

No offense here either but that's a blah.
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      No offense here either but that's a blah.
      Would rather have the illuminated shifter

THAT is a cool shifter.
      Quote Originally Posted by skywolf View Post
      Would rather have the illuminated shifter
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

THAT is a cool shifter.
      It's cool, makes it look more classy. Little practical value though. Definitely a non-essential lol. Honestly I think I would go after the wood accordion that prolix mentioned.

No offense taken. To paraphrase one of my favorite passages, "as dreams populate the mind of one with many cares, so also are thoughts of wheels when there is much work yet to be done." Emphasis my own. 😁

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

A Modest XC Build

Prolix style; shows a terrible teaser and then BANG: 19" ERAKIR!
      Just kidding, maybe its just me that wants to see the coolest modest XC being born...

No offense taken. To paraphrase one of my favorite passages, "as dreams populate the mind of one with many cares, so also are thoughts of wheels when there is much work yet to be done." Emphasis my own.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
      As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear god, protect my ride.

Broken vs not broken.

#smallvictories

Two wheel fitments.

A 19 off an s80

A 20 off my Jaguar that actually has the "correct" tire size at 255/35-20.

I didn't get much done on the car today, but I did get to drive this.

It's a little difficult to see, but it's a T8 Excellence.

And the biggest pleasant surprise that I did not realize they got

There is a glass barrier behind the rear seats making for a more "sealed" driving compartment making for a very quiet driving experience.

Someone please make that into a t-shirt. Awesome.
      Quote Originally Posted by CrossingCountries View Post
      As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear god, protect my ride.

Get the wheels off the excellence. Hahahahahaha.
      The jag wheels actually look pretty cool but chrome isn't right. Did those come in another finish?

A Modest XC Build

This must be the excellence badge ...damn Sam! Too much car for me, something for a rich Chinese or a movie star. Piece of art, didnt know about the glass in the back... my cargo rack/divider kills some noise too but not where the holes are

Last edited by CrossingCountries; 03-04-2017 at 02:48 PM.

A Modest XC Build

Someone please make that into a t-shirt. Awesome.
      Your wish is my command;

(THE BIKER's PRAYER)
      Last edited by CrossingCountries; 03-04-2017 at 02:46 PM.

From your other threads it is obvious that you have a lot of experience with Volvos. How much of that experience is with these newer Volvos?
      Asking as there are a lot of small differences between the model years for these P3 models. As is usual with Volvo one could say. Only that it could bite you when you try to get the car back in action.

There are several versions of the illuminated gear lever. Most have only simple illumination, e.g. the complete inlay with the "gear directions" is backlight. 2013 is, as far as I know, the only model year that got lights for the selected gear. Very nice feature that they should have kept. A lever with illumination and polestar inlay exists also.

Broken vs not broken.

#smallvictories
      https://youtu.be/OhEHB0a7Uyg

Get the wheels off the excellence. Hahahahahaha.
      The jag wheels actually look pretty cool but chrome isn't right. Did those come in another finish?
      It's actually a very bright polished aluminum and not chrome, but this wheel came only the The 2006 Super 8 Portfolio, so only one finish. Extremely rare, and I only have one that I use as a spare on the Super 8.

It does look quite good. I'll try and get another photo from a better angle in the future.

I might take the other Jag wheels and try them on for size too.

Eh, a 20 is actually much easier to come by than a 19, but that little side wall makes me anxious. 255/45 would be nice, but that's quite a bit bigger than the original size

Quote Originally Posted by Blockpartie View Post
      From your other threads it is obvious that you have a lot of experience with Volvos. How much of that experience is with these newer Volvos?
      Asking as there are a lot of small differences between the model years for these P3 models. As is usual with Volvo one could say. Only that it could bite you when you try to get the car back in action.

There are several versions of the illuminated gear lever. Most have only simple illumination, e.g. the complete inlay with the "gear directions" is backlight. 2013 is, as far as I know, the only model year that got lights for the selected gear. Very nice feature that they should have kept. A lever with illumination and polestar inlay exists also.
      I like to think I know a lot, but how much I ACTUALLY know is subject to interpretation.

But yes, there are a lot of little changes here and there throughout the production cycles. I'm very familiar with nearly everything but the most recent cars. My general knowledge of specific details usually sits a few years behind cutting edge since I don't see cars until they are no longer under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingCountries View Post
      This must be the excellence badge ...damn Sam! Too much car for me, something for a rich Chinese or a movie star. Piece of art...
      You can't take that approach or you are already accepting defeat. My Super 8 had an original price tag starting at just under $120,000 and my CL600 had one of $140,000, yet both I purchased for less than $20,000. Let the rich take the cutting edge and depreciation, and then the enthusiast can pick it up on the second had a few years old and continually fawn over it. Carpe Diem, never say die.

The person who purchased the Excellence traded their BMW i8 on it and was informing me that the Excellence are selling slowly in North America and that some dealers have gone so far as to discount them by nearly $10,000 of MSRP to move them.

*disclaimer, but the Jag and Benz both needed their "complex" suspensions rebuild. If I payed a dealer to do it rather than doing it in house it would probably be a very significant cost. Carpe Diem with your eyes open and your hands ready to get dirty.
      Last edited by ProlixArgon; 03-05-2017 at 07:02 AM.

I personally think 20" is a bit much for an XC70. Those 19" might look good on a taller sidewall, good opportunity to switch out the pirellis then?

Honestly the lot of volvos parked around the XC90 excellence caught my eye more than the xc90 itself. Are they all part/scrap cars? The 07 S80 V8 parts car also sounded interesting actually. Crashed?

Carpe Diem, never say die.
      Carpe ...m?
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing "
      - CrossingCountries

I lied. I said I would include photos of the adjustments of the frame rails, but I did not.

They are now straight and the front end is almost completely ready to be assembled. The adjustment turned out to be very minor and was finished by someone more knowledgeable than myself while I was away for a few minutes.

The upper rails that the fenders bolt to have also been taken care of, though the right side still needs to be welded in place.

Another fun part of doing what I'm doing with this car is watching the pile of parts/puzzle pieces finding their proper place. This is what's left currently

And of course the bolts yet to find homes.

Hmm, and some old school Volvo people might recognize the XC's companion this weekend.

Last edited by ProlixArgon; 03-05-2017 at 01:05 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast