A Modest XC Build - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Before you put the front end back together you should check the engine mounts. They are designed to break away and with damage to the front of the engine there is a chance they are deformed.
      If the car is a US model the steering column will need to be changed too. Volvo installs a special version with pyrotechnical stuff to help it collapse when frontal airbags get deployed.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The stuff I will only learn here. That is fascinating.
      Quote Originally Posted by Blockpartie View Post
      Before you put the front end back together you should check the engine mounts. They are designed to break away and with damage to the front of the engine there is a chance they are deformed.
      If the car is a US model the steering column will need to be changed too. Volvo installs a special version with pyrotechnical stuff to help it collapse when frontal airbags get deployed.
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyoho View Post
      I personally think 20" is a bit much for an XC70. Those 19" might look good on a taller sidewall, good opportunity to switch out the pirellis then?

Honestly the lot of volvos parked around the XC90 excellence caught my eye more than the xc90 itself. Are they all part/scrap cars? The 07 S80 V8 parts car also sounded interesting actually. Crashed?
      The ones on the periphery are probably cars we have for sale. The parts yard is in the back.

The s80 is a wreck, hit in the right rear quarter panel. 130k miles on the clock and reasonably well equipped. Hopefully the parts I need and the parts I can sell will cover the cost of purchase and transport.

Haha, and no, I have no plans for a v8 swap. I know how to do it pretty easily, I think anyway, but that's not in this car's future.
      I know what you are talking about, but I don't remember the right word for it either.

My plan of attack has been
      1) strip and assess damages
      2) make the car safely mobile on it's own power
      3) repair to the point of passing state inspection
      4) paint

3 and 4 will hopefully happen together, but it all depends on scheduling. SRS is up next

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ProlixArgon View Post
      Haha, and no, I have no plans for a v8 swap. I know how to do it pretty easily, I think anyway, but that's not in this car's future.
      I would be interested in a V8 swapped P3 XC70.
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      I would be interested in a V8 swapped P3 XC70.
      Oh lord
      2006 XC70 68k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Mazda3 S GT 28k - Black/Black - "Corey"
      2007 XC70 57k - Black/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2011 Tacoma 11k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2013 XC70 35k - Black Stone/Off-Black - "Rolf"

Quote Originally Posted by skywolf View Post
      Oh lord
      The T6 & V8 both fit in both the S80 in roughly the same envelope, I would assume the T6 fitting in the XC70 gives some confidence the V8 could be done. Please, make it happen for me!

Edit: I would also be interested in a 2011+ T6 swapped XC90.
      Last edited by R-Pow3R3d; 03-05-2017 at 04:48 PM.
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement

The T6 & V8 both fit in both the S80 in roughly the same envelope, I would assume the T6 fitting in the XC70 gives some confidence the V8 could be done. Please, make it happen for me!
      Is that a hint for Rolf?
      2006 XC70 68k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Mazda3 S GT 28k - Black/Black - "Corey"
      2007 XC70 57k - Black/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2011 Tacoma 11k - Green/Sand - "Timber"

Is that a hint for Rolf?
      That would certainly fit the bill.

Awesome line-up in the last picture, XC70 T6 and the P1800
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing "
      - CrossingCountries

A v8 conversion would be pretty easy. Buy two cars, an XC and a s80 of the same year then swap the engine and all modules with vin info stored in them. You would then use the keys for the s80 and he done.

15-25 hours of labor from someone who knew what they were doing and you are done.

I'm not 100% sure if the drive shaft and angle gear bolt up the same though.

I would also be interested in a 2011+ T6 swapped XC90.
      I contacted Hilton about that, but was told I would need an alternative engine management system. I don't really know the answer as to why the XC90 never got the T6, but I assume that the difference was the N/A engine management systems are traditionally Denso vs Turbo with Bosche (though I've not actually looked who made them). I speculate Volvo decided it wasn't worth the extra R&D for the XC90 because it was a product line they wanted to end, but then kept it longer after all because people kept buying it as sale remained relatively strong even after the XC60 was released. The timeline of the recession and Ford negotiating the sale of the company and everyone needing as many units sold as possible would back up this theory.

So a software re-map will not be enough to bridge the gap between N/A and functioning turbo managements systems. A V8 swap into a XC on paper, without the need of a custom engine computer, at least appears to be easier with the information that I currently have on hand.

If I was doing a V8 swap though, I would put it to a V70 to have the only AWD V70 in North America.

I contacted Hilton about that, but was told I would need an alternative engine management system. I don't really know the answer as to why the XC90 never got the T6, but I assume that the difference was the N/A engine management systems are traditionally Denso vs Turbo with Bosche (though I've not actually looked who made them). I speculate Volvo decided it wasn't worth the extra R&D for the XC90 because it was a product line they wanted to end, but then kept it longer after all because people kept buying it as sale remained relatively strong even after the XC60 was released. The timeline of the recession and Ford negotiating the sale of the company and everyone needing as many units sold as possible would back up this theory.

So a software re-map will not be enough to bridge the gap between N/A and functioning turbo managements systems. A V8 swap into a XC on paper, without the need of a custom engine computer, at least appears to be easier with the information that I currently have on hand.

If I was doing a V8 swap though, I would put it to a V70 to have the only AWD V70 in North America.
      Do they have V70s with the later 4C? Get that, sway bar upgrades, up-sized brakes (Brembo swap), and you'll have a "modern" V70R

Do they have V70s with the later 4C? Get that, sway bar upgrades, up-sized brakes (Brembo swap), and you'll have a "modern" V70R
      The V8 s80 I just bought has 4C, so cloning that into a V70 would get you all these things. It would only add the complexity of having to swap in wiring and shocks.

I've cloned cars before for testing purposes, but that was like 09 XC with another 09 XC. I've never done anything quite so ambitious as to clone an entire car and change engine types, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. My cloned cars ran and drove ok.

The only difficult thing about this hypothesis is the v8 is most common in 2007 and since the T6 was introduced in 2008, few got the v8. 09 & 10 v8s got the Executive package as standard and almost regardless of condition they are valuable.

If I had to guess, I would say 40 hours of professional labor would have a modern v8 V70R built.

The V8 s80 I just bought has 4C, so cloning that into a V70 would get you all these things. It would only add the complexity of having to swap in wiring and shocks.

I've cloned cars before for testing purposes, but that was like 09 XC with another 09 XC. I've never done anything quite so ambitious as to clone an entire car and change engine types, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. My cloned cars ran and drove ok.

The only difficult thing about this hypothesis is the v8 is most common in 2007 and since the T6 was introduced in 2008, few got the v8. 09 & 10 v8s got the Executive package as standard and almost regardless of condition they are valuable.

If I had to guess, I would say 40 hours of professional labor would have a modern v8 V70R built.
      All it takes is money

You're right, to get the late 09/10 V8's out of an S80 would be tough work. The best bet might be to try to find one that got blown up in a rear-end collision or t-boned or something. Maybe you could get that for $5k (?), the V70 (ideally an R-Design) for $15k (?), the labor for $5k, sell the 3.2L and part out the S80 to recoup $2k (?), end up with a one-off V8 AWD Euro Wagon for $23k. Can we also get a manual?! LOL (SHOOT FOR THE STARS! )

All it takes is money

You're right, to get the late 09/10 V8's out of an S80 would be tough work. The best bet might be to try to find one that got blown up in a rear-end collision or t-boned or something. Maybe you could get that for $5k (?), the V70 (ideally an R-Design) for $15k (?), the labor for $5k, sell the 3.2L and part out the S80 to recoup $2k (?), end up with a one-off V8 AWD Euro Wagon for $23k. Can we also get a manual?! LOL (SHOOT FOR THE STARS! )
      The vin number on the car would say V70 and any time hooked up to diagnostics it would say S80. The carfax would show mileage manipulation as the cluster would have to be changed.

But, excluding the cost of the V70, I think using my V8 as a donor, someone could have me build a V70 with HIDs, premium sound, cooled seats, and 4C for $8-15k all done. If spending more, I'm sure we could find a donor car with adaptive cruise, keyless start, navigation and bliss. Adding a manual transmission could be done but would add significant cost to get special parts shipped in from Europe. A T6 would be an easier car to build due to increased parts availability.

If anyone is interested, bring me a V70 and write me a check for a $6,000 deposit and I will have your one off car build in less than 3 months. No special paint jobs included.

What would make me very curious would be cloning a later model into it, like a 2014 XC into a 2008 V70. I've always liked the look of the V70 but had no reason to want to buy one because they only came with FWD n/a power plants.

Another flaw R-Pow is that there is no money to re-coupe from the sale of a 3.2 engine. There are so many of them on the market right now and no one is buying... I was looking at a 08 3.2 parts car and the 07 V8: the 3.2 had more usable parts, but the V8 engine is still worth some money and there aren't that many for sale while the 3.2 isn't even worth pulling out of the car since there are literally hundreds of them for sale
      Last edited by ProlixArgon; 03-06-2017 at 06:17 AM.

Volvo never offered the V8 or the T6 models with a manual transmission. So some custom work will be required.

Achieving the desired V70 look can easily be done by changing the front end, side skirts and rear bumper. A little bit of bodywork to get rid of the mounting holes for the rear wheel arches and you are done. Swap the complete suspension over from a V70 AWD, I really mean all of it, and nobody would know when looking at the car.

Love the discussions between the two very knowledgeable VOLVO people/mechanics! (PROLIX/BLOCK) I just lurk and learn...

XC70|D5|AWD|GT6|MY11|Polestar|IPD SWAY|

The vin number on the car would say V70 and any time hooked up to diagnostics it would say S80. The carfax would show mileage manipulation as the cluster would have to be changed.

But, excluding the cost of the V70, I think using my V8 as a donor, someone could have me build a V70 with HIDs, premium sound, cooled seats, and 4C for $8-15k all done. If spending more, I'm sure we could find a donor car with adaptive cruise, keyless start, navigation and bliss. Adding a manual transmission could be done but would add significant cost to get special parts shipped in from Europe. A T6 would be an easier car to build due to increased parts availability.

If anyone is interested, bring me a V70 and write me a check for a $6,000 deposit and I will have your one off car build in less than 3 months. No special paint jobs included.

What would make me very curious would be cloning a later model into it, like a 2014 XC into a 2008 V70. I've always liked the look of the V70 but had no reason to want to buy one because they only came with FWD n/a power plants.

Another flaw R-Pow is that there is no money to re-coupe from the sale of a 3.2 engine. There are so many of them on the market right now and no one is buying... I was looking at a 08 3.2 parts car and the 07 V8: the 3.2 had more usable parts, but the V8 engine is still worth some money and there aren't that many for sale while the 3.2 isn't even worth pulling out of the car since there are literally hundreds of them for sale
      Yeah, I knew manual was being a bit silly since that was never made available here (although, if you follow my 'just money' theory, then it is "possible" ).

That's interesting that the 3.2L is worthless. I guess it makes sense, considering how many of them are out there. If you could find another car with a failed 3.2L, then you could buy it on the cheap, swap it, and maybe recoup some costs that way.

This would almost be the right starting point for the build. Missing Tech package & 4C, though:
      http://www.ctcarguys.com/2010-Volvo-...rBN7AKECmMM%3d

A Modest XC Build

Could you do this to your XC70? Might as well go for the whole shabang... now this looks bigger 'n Dallas! Heck, why not?

Last edited by CrossingCountries; 03-06-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingCountries View Post
      Could you do this to your XC70? Might as well go for the whole shabang... now this looks bigger 'n Dallas!

A Modest XC Build

Yep, that's a VOLVO and a half!! And its for sale in Sweden..the guy is an artist...talked to him on Instagram.

Boy!!

Last edited by CrossingCountries; 03-06-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Yep, that's a VOLVO and a half!! And its for sale in Sweden..the guy is an artist...talked to him on Instagram.

Boy!!

Where did you find that picture of my neighbor?

Where did you find that picture of my neighbor?
      That's me!

That's me!
      What? You're supposed to be over here in Georgia helping me clean my rifles.

Achieving the desired V70 look can easily be done by changing the front end, side skirts and rear bumper. A little bit of bodywork to get rid of the mounting holes for the rear wheel arches and you are done. Swap the complete suspension over from a V70 AWD, I really mean all of it, and nobody would know when looking at the car.
      Haha, that's not exactly easy. It will be changing the front and rear bumpers, the fenders, all the doors, and modifying the quarter panels to remove the holes. There is no AWD v70 so then there needs to be a donor s80 awd in the mix for suspension.

If you buy two cars in the same color it cuts down on paint time, but I don't know if that's actually easier if you are particular on paint. I also have almost zero experience with paint and consider it a dark magic that requires blood sacrifices to turn out right.

It certainly is another option, but pick your poison as to which is more difficult. I personally would rather swap drive trains. Right now my idea is actually cheaper because an 08 s80 T6 + 08 V70 is cheaper to obtain than the highly desirable 09+ XC70 T6 + V70 parts.

Haha, I've thought about this one a long time. I opted against building myself this car because
      A) in the grand scheme of things, I would rather have an XC.
      B) for the past 15 years I've never kept a personal car for much more than a year and I could never get back out of the V70 T6 what I would put into it.
      C) I like the interiors of the 2012+ better

That's interesting that the 3.2L is worthless. I guess it makes sense, considering how many of them are out there. If you could find another car with a failed 3.2L, then you could buy it on the cheap, swap it, and maybe recoup some costs that way.
      There are about 1,200+ 3.2 engines listed for sale in the 07-11 year range right now on car-part.com, V8's are a fifth of that number. The 3.2 just doesn't fail. It's boring, but it's very solid and IMO, one of the lowest maintenance engines Volvo has used in the states in 30 years.

Case and point, this spark plug was pulled out of a 160,000 mile 07 xc90 yesterday. It had never been changed and the car was still running up until the ignition coil was over worked to the point of failure.

Haha, that's not exactly easy. It will be changing the front and rear bumpers, the fenders, all the doors, and modifying the quarter panels to remove the holes. There is no AWD v70 so then there needs to be a donor s80 awd in the mix for suspension.
      [...]
      Oh, I didn't know that. Really curious who build that V70 T6 with AWD parked in the garage. Probably the same guy that installed ventilated seats and a diesel in the other V70.

The side paneling on the XCs is partially taped on. To the best of my knowledge the lower mounting holes are identical so that the normal trim parts just clip into place.
      Combining cars is possible but there are some hurdles that can't easily be overcome. Tailgate for example, completely different between S80 and V70/XC70. Not just the locking mechanism, the electronics also. The estates switch on the running lights with the tailgate open or make them brighter while shutting of the brake lights (pre facelift models only). Plus there is no power tailgate for the S80 so that would be lost.

The side paneling on the XCs is partially taped on. To the best of my knowledge the lower mounting holes are identical so that the normal trim parts just clip into place.
      Hmm, I'm pretty sure it's mounted differently, but I will have to pop paneling off an XC and V70 to know for sure. I have both, so it's not hard to find out. If day light hours get longer, I should have more time to play with these ideas.

Haha, now I'm now re-thinking my position on this. End result though, I can't think of any reason I would actually do it. The resale of a rare car that doesn't exist state side is not going to be worth the same money as one that does. Some Volvo nut would buy it eventually, but it would be worth less than a standard XC. More work + less return = a questionable choice...

But it's fun to think about.

Daylight savings this Saturday night. Back to dark mornings for a bit.
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Daylight savings this Saturday night. Back to dark mornings for a bit.
      I'll take dark morning for bright evenings all the time.

I'll take dark morning for bright evenings all the time.
      Everytime!

AGREED!!

I also agree that that V70 T6 is gorgeous, but it's way too much $$$ to sink into a car that has a niche market and fairly low resale value. It would definitely be a lesson in love and dedication, but not an investment. If money were no object, it would be fun to try to build something like that.

Btw, I too consider painting to be "dark magic requiring blood sacrifice", lol
      Tony

2012 XC70 T6 Polestar
      1958 Volvo PV444 - B16B/M4
      Past Bricks: '95 855, '98 V70T5M, '04 V70R 6-speed, '10 XC60, '83 245 Turbo

Every time.
      Quote Originally Posted by r-pow3r3d View Post
      everytime!

Every time.
      Wherewe'regoing,wedon'tneednostinkingspacebar.

Maybe I should've punctuated it.
      Wherewe'regoing,wedon'tneednostinkingspacebar.

Maybe I should've punctuated it.
      I thought you were harassing me, rightly, for not having a space between the words.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast