A Modest XC Build - Page 5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
      Making use of the extra daylight hours I worked on the s80s today

Here is the Inscription at the start of the day

By the end of the day we had the entire front end swapped over. Time did not permit adjustments to make everything fit correctly. I ended up taking the bumper back off for storing somewhere else.

Ever wonder how similar Oyster Pearl and Twilight Bronze are? The answer is: not very similar.

The v8 at the end of the day

I also took the rear bumper off for safe keeping.

Two vital tools to have if performing these kinds of repairs

Half the front end is held on by T25 and 8mm nuts/screws. Not a single rivet in sight, which is AWESOME! So much easier a front end to pull apart than a p2.
      Last edited by ProlixArgon; 03-12-2017 at 08:43 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

A few other images from today's activities

The headlights waiting prep for the XC.

A pleasant surprise is the v8 has extra sound deadener in the fender liners covering the traditional spot by the door and also along the top of the fender. I don't know that I've seen another Volvo with factory padding at the top outside of my own cars that I put it there.

While on the subject of sound deadener: curiously too is the fender liner materials. The 2013 S80 has the quieting liner while the 07 has just plastic. The XC also only has the plastic liners. If I have the quieter type liner available I will certainly use it on the XC, but since I will be adding sound deadening materials in numerous places I'm not going to go out of my way to source the other type.

I discovered the WheelCo app yesterday and started trying on wheels.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

A Modest XC Build

Downloaded the app but cant find "default" VOLVO rims...
      XC70|D5|AWD|GT6|MY11|Polestar|IPD SWAY|

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingCountries View Post
      Downloaded the app but cant find "default" VOLVO rims...
      You have to make them yourself, and of course you have to pay money to be able to do it too. It was only $2 USD here though

Ok thanks, I see now. Volvo has an app for that too as I mentioned before. Did you find that one?

Ok thanks, I see now. Volvo has an app for that too as I mentioned before. Did you find that one?
      I have not seen that app.

A Modest XC Build

Quote Originally Posted by ProlixArgon View Post
      I have not seen that app.
      It is there in the Dutch AppStore: (Wielen=Wheels)

Volvo Wielen' van Volvo Car Corporation
      https://appsto.re/nl/uz9UB.i

Last edited by CrossingCountries; 03-13-2017 at 07:00 PM.

2006 XC70 68k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Mazda3 S GT 28k - Black/Black - "Corey"
      2007 XC70 57k - Black/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2011 Tacoma 11k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2013 XC70 35k - Black Stone/Off-Black - "Rolf"

Quote Originally Posted by skywolf View Post
      "This app is designed for both iPhone and iPad"

I have not drank the icoolaid.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

"This app is designed for both iPhone and iPad"

I have not drank the icoolaid.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
      Argh. Sorry.
      2006 XC70 68k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Mazda3 S GT 28k - Black/Black - "Corey"
      2007 XC70 57k - Black/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2011 Tacoma 11k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2013 XC70 35k - Black Stone/Off-Black - "Rolf"

While on the subject of sound deadener: curiously too is the fender liner materials. The 2013 S80 has the quieting liner while the 07 has just plastic. The XC also only has the plastic liners. If I have the quieter type liner available I will certainly use it on the XC, but since I will be adding sound deadening materials in numerous places I'm not going to go out of my way to source the other type.
      I checked in VIDA but I can't find any distinguishing between the two, there isn't even any mention of sound-deadened versions in the parts catalogue. They're just named as wheel arch liners. I have the quiet liners on my 2007 S80 but I'm not sure if a friends' XC70 2014 has them.
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing "
      - CrossingCountries

A Modest XC Build

Forgive me; couldnt find the right thread but since yours is "hot" lately and talking about parts; Anybody knows this grill partnumber or is it exclusively for the SURF XC?

Looks like AUDI stole it for their new terribly looking Q2:

Last edited by CrossingCountries; 03-15-2017 at 04:11 AM.

Hmm, I've always love this wheel on the Jaguar x358, and always wondered if it would be a good option on a Volvo. Now that I set up a mock fitment, I'm not so sure...

Edit: I did not realize how low resolution these photos are until just now...
      Last edited by ProlixArgon; 03-17-2017 at 06:25 AM.

Everyone's favorite 19" tried on for size

A Modest XC Build

Dont dont dont,...V70 wheels big time, not XC at all. They look terrible on the monster XC70. A guy with high heels. Nothing wrong with it if you like it.

MERACS or LEDA or ERAKIR. ERAKIRS nice but not original and a tiny bit gipsy (no offense please, just a bad joke)

I would try to find some LEDAS 7-spoke... The new XC90 is showing off with similar rims. LEDAS look awesome...they do. It fits the car well. VOLVO basically thought the same and invented LEDA 2.1 for the XC90.

MERAC: "6-spoke"

8-spokes...the XC90 has room for it:

"LEDA 2.1's"

What Im trying to say; Go for something wide and fat!
      Last edited by CrossingCountries; 03-18-2017 at 04:51 PM.

I generally think five-spoke wheels look terrible because of how common it is to see cheap third party alloys as winter wheels here. They're all five spoke and it has ruined me. I agree with crossingcountries, all of the wheels he posted looks great on the XC70 (not sure about the 90-series wheel though, don't think it'll physically fit).
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing "
      - CrossingCountries

Some progress today

I replaced the transmission cooler, radiator, condenser, and intercooler them topped off fluids. The car is now mobile on it's own power without any fear of doing damage.

On a side note, I suppose I could retrofit in these seats and some trim.

Next up I need an air filter box and start assembling the front end and put in air bags, seat belts, and the steering column charge

And here are my projects for the day as I turn off the lights

If someone wants a low milage 01 A4 manual, that's been the other project over the past couple weeks. My brother in law's old car that was replaced with a 2010 R-design S40.

The CL add can be found here.
      Last edited by ProlixArgon; 03-19-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyoho View Post
      (not sure about the 90-series wheel though, don't think it'll physically fit).
      Will not fit, just an example of the alloy "fashion/style" and similar to LEDA.

In other news the car now has a name.

It's name is Joseph.

It's name is Joseph.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

You have the best way to change a Swedish Radiator with nothing in your way. I changed a 1998 Saab 900 Turbo radiator and had to remove radiator, inter cooler, grill, headlights etc. I came to the conclusion that they hung the radiator on the assembly line and proceeded to build the car around it. They did the same "started with this part first" assembly of a 1998 Dodge Dakota heater core, but that is another story/nightmare. The car is looking good.

This weekend I drove around this 08 XC 3.2 that's nearly ready for it's next owner.

It makes me look forward to the p* even more... However, at some point there was a chance to switch keys.

Hmm, which one?

The choice is narrowed down

Choice made

https://youtu.be/O2CHg8YHgtw
      Last edited by ProlixArgon; 03-19-2017 at 06:26 PM.

It's name is Joseph.
      Its name was Robert Paulson....
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

Is that a touring M3? I've never ever seen one of those before, didn't know there was such a thing

Joseph as in... Joseph Williams? Saint Joseph? Mengele?
      - CrossingCountries

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyoho View Post
      Is that a touring M3? I've never ever seen one of those before, didn't know there was such a thing

Joseph as in... Joseph Williams? Saint Joseph? Mengele?
      Looks like one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M_Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz49 View Post
      You've got it. S54 powered clown shoe.

Last edited by ProlixArgon; 03-20-2017 at 06:54 PM.

I scanned and cleared codes for the first time last weekend. The code list was surprisingly short all things considered.

https://youtu.be/1a96Vzs5i6w

Nice to see someone else wants the P3R to exist. I've been mulling one over so it's nice to have company.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

I've got my face to the glass here, fogging up the glass, and straining my eyeballs. So much to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post
      Nice to see someone else wants the P3R to exist. I've been mulling one over so it's nice to have company.
      Well, I will have to be honest I'm far more fond of this R

Then this one

So I can't really say an R is the goal. Executive is probably the more accurate word in Volvo's cannon as I'm honestly not that big of a fan of the Volvo R outside of the nicer seats. I mean, I would have one for sure, but I don't put it in the same category as the JaguaR

I had planned to put a Executive or Inscription badge on the Modest p2, but that didn't happen in the end. Hopefully I keep this one long enough to source said badges.

Truth be told, I'm in a spot of trouble logistically. Someone wants to buy the LR2 as quickly as possible and it seems like a shame to not take their money. But now I have to find something to drive for the month or two until the p* is finished.

The front end is mostly done, but the airbags and seat belts are next in line. There is no quick time frames to be had for what I'm doing and not really any short cuts either. Hah, to anyone who reads this thread when it's over and is just glancing over photos, CHECK THE DATES!

I think I'm going to end up taking an XC70 T6 or T5 AWD and swapping P* suspension in. Also finding a V70 R Design and swapping the 2 tone interior. I could live with that.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddogger View Post
      I think I'm going to end up taking an XC70 T6 or T5 AWD and swapping P* suspension in. Also finding a V70 R Design and swapping the 2 tone interior. I could live with that.
      I dunno, The R-Design v70 interior isn't that great IMO. I personally would source a xc60 or s60 for better seats, but I've not confirmed they will bolt in fit and communicate with all the electronics yet. It's on the to do list, but I'm not there yet...

you aughta drive that little A4 if you sell your LR2

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast