matt1122's Long-Term V90 Cross Country Review and Microblog Thread
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Styling: Osmium Grey Metallic, Charcoal Interior, 19" 6-Double Spoke Matt Tech Black Diamond Cut Wheel 151
      Options: Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins Premium Sound, Graphical HUD, Premium Air Suspension
      Accessories: Polestar Performance Optimization, Quilted Car Seat Cover

Pre-Delivery Photos [imgur album] [swedespeed post]

Important or Exciting Dates
      2/27/2017 - Order Placed
      4/05/2017 - Vehicle built*
      4/13/2017 - Vehicle leaves Port of Gothenburg on Vehicles Carrier Torino
      4/28/2017 - Vehicle discharged @ Port Newark, NJ** (2-Day Delay @ Halifax, NS)
      5/02/2017 - Vehicle Arrived @ Dealership***
      5/04/2017 - Delivery Taken

Maintenance/Service visit notes can be found below the long-term review.

* Planned Factory Complete date was 4/18/2017, 13 days later
      ** Original Planned Date to SCSL was 5/10/2017, 12 days later
      *** Accepted Delivery Date had been 5/6/17

Long-Term Review/Thoughts

Vehicle Dynamics: The Polestar Optimized powertrain has me completely satisfied. There's ample passing power and the 8-speed transmission is smooth, smart, and responsive in every drive mode. Zero-to-x runs aren't exactly exciting and it's not nearly as exciting to pound on the gas anymore, but I prefer the 2.0L T6 to the 3.0L T6 in daily driving. The sound of the engine and exhaust is actually quite nice, though the smaller volume means a less audible intake and a less breathy exhaust. Road imperfections are almost never harsh or bothersome, but they are communicated to the driver. Road feel is enhanced with the Chassis in Dynamic mode. Larger imperfections like swells in the road and dips for road-side drains are impressively erased by the suspension in Comfort mode. Volvo got the steering just right on this car. Turning radius and maneuverability are superb. Handling is generally flat, with only slight body roll allowed most of the time. Push the handling limits and the car is allowed to roll a bit more to shift weight onto the outside wheels when needed. When the outside wheels begin to slip, the dampeners adjust and deliver consistent and controlled balance through the turn. Especially in Dynamic Mode, the car can feel quite capable, but it only stays that way as long as your maneuvers are predictable and controlled. If you catch the suspension off guard with some jerky maneuvers or sudden braking mid-turn, it won't be able to keep up. More on that later (Wishlist below), but keep in mind that handling with 4C can seem deceptively good and may make this car feel like something it's not until you throw it a curveball. That said, Dynamic Mode actually really does make this car fun to drive if you aren't used to a rocket-propulsion/"one with the road" experience like a P3 R-Design or better. Just don't surprise the chassis too much and forget how high you're riding.

Volvo's Idea of Luxury:

• The displays and Sensus system are mostly excellent, but it feels like boot and app startup time (including the time it takes apps to connect to the internet) need significant improvement.
      • Navigation is drastically improved compared to my V60, but I had to turn up the voice guidance level. Otherwise it wasn't always clear what the system wanted me to do.
      • The cabin is whisper quiet. Wind noise is hardly heard, road noise is non-existent with the air suspension and custom-made OEM tires.
      • Seats are very comfortable and provide adequate support for driving within this car's limits.
      • Materials are all high end, and nothing about or in the car feels or looks cheap.
      • The cabin is beautifully lit at night. It's never distracting. I can always see whatever I need.
      • The panoramic moonroof is glorious, and I love that the sunshade auto closes on hot days.
      • I never thought I'd use Park Assist Pilot, but it's cool and convenient when parallel parking.
      • Mood lights are more effective than I realized, but I wish there was more color variety (ie Red). Light pollution in my area also makes it harder to appreciate.
      • I can't seem to make Park Assist Pilot work with perpendicular parking (yet).
      • LED Headlights are great. While closer objects are better illuminated by this new system, viewing distance is just shy of the what it was in my V60.
      • 360° Camera and all the individual angles are pretty great. While people in the XC90 forum are always complaining about not having both the rear and 360° view available at the same time, I think the portrait screen orientation makes this a non-issue. You can usually see far enough behind the car in 360° mode because of how everything is laid out. But it would be nice if rear view wasn't forced on us because of "regulations."
      • Pilot Assist II is good, but not perfect. I use it every day, and it works better on some roads than others. Visibility around curves affects its performance more than the angle of the curve. It can often do all the steering, but needs to be babysat regardless. Dark shade combined with sun glare can really throw it off to the point where you may inadvertently change lanes if you're not paying attention, but it does a better job seeing cars than lanes. The process for engaging and disengaging is smart: It's basically the same as adaptive cruise control, but you push > to turn steering/pilot assist on and push < to turn it back off. Very seamless transition from ACC to PA2.
      • The button to fold the seats is nice, but it's implemented by having the seats loaded with springs I think. This would make it hard to get them back up for someone with a disability.

Drive Modes:

• Individual - I've played around with this many times, but settled on making this almost exactly the same as Dynamic Mode, but with Powertrain set to Comfort. I drive in this most of the time.
      • Comfort - I switch to this mode when encountering rough roads or if I have passengers in the car.
      • Dynamic - I switch to this mode when driving conditions call for a little more aggressive tuning to the engine, whether for pleasure or to work my way through a flock of lollygaggers.
      • Eco - This mode seems plenty refined, and never really gets uncomfortable. I find ECO climate fine on mild days. It actually improved my fuel economy by about 2.0MPG in city driving/running errands, but doesn't seem to make much of a difference for highway driving most of the time.
      • Off-Road - Really smooths out rough roads in a truly amazing fashion. Giant craters feel like soft rolling hills. But it also really does do a great job of optimizing for traction. Very, very impressive.

Wishlist and Gripes:

• An active hydraulic suspension (like Mercedes Active Body Control) would be a boon for this car. Adjustable ride height could improve aerodynamics and vehicle dynamics as desired by the driver (such as in Dynamic Mode). More importantly, a hydraulic suspension would also improve high-speed stability, as the suspension in this car combined with the ride height makes for some harrowing high speed emergency maneuvers when the air springs and dampeners can't respond fast enough to prevent body roll. ESC can prevent loss of control, but it can't keep traction at all four wheels when the vehicle suddenly kneels towards the outside of a curve at 80mph because you had to brake suddenly due to something unexpected happening in front of you. This upgrade would be expensive, but this car seems very worthy of it in every way. Whether it could be fit is another story - Mercedes doesn't offer ABC on any AWD Mercedes-Benz cars.
      • Reading reviews about the E Class Wagon (which supposedly uses the same air suspension supplier) leads me to believe that the way long and significantly deep imperfections are well absorbed but sudden or abrupt imperfections are not is a characteristic of the technology and not a fault with the system. It's also nice to know the E Class suffers in the same way.
      • Pilot Assist could tell the driver more about what it's doing. For example, if it's moving to the side of the lane to avoid something and it doesn’t' tell me, how can I give it credit? More importantly, it seems like a lot of people had the same initial reaction I did to my car going back and forth in my lane - assuming Pilot Assist needed some serious improvement before it was ready for prime time.
      • CarPlay should replace the Phone Tile on the main display instead of using the bottom tile. And if I'm using Media from CarPlay, the media tile should go away or at least not automatically switch back to the last source if I accidentally touch it. And if it replaced the Phone Tile, I could still access other apps without having to go back and forth so much. Car Play itself is pretty unimpressive.
      • Setting it so that CarPlay doesn’t' start automatically when I connect the USB cable should not prevent me from starting CarPlay from Apps view. Why is this the same setting as "use iPod Mode?"
      • Volvo should add starting up the computer and getting it fully ready for use to the preconditioning functionality of the On Call App. Or just optimize / upgrade to improve load times substantially.
      • Voice Control needs to be improved drastically. It's very, very bad.
      • The seatbelt for the center seat on the rear bench buffets and slaps against the seat like crazy in the wind if the rear windows are open. I had to install some seatbelt covers to shut it up.
      • There's an annoying rattle in the rear passenger-side door since delivery, fix pending.
      • I wish I could move the passenger seat from the driver's side. It seems like perhaps this is included in the Luxury Package/Inscription Seats, but it wasn't listed as an option for that package.
      • 24/96 and 5.1 media are not properly supported, which I find incredibly disappointing for such a hi-fi system.
      • The library should not single out bonus tracks from an album, they should be included with the album in the library and possibly annotated as a bonus track.
      • Playing 5.1 FLAC files over USB results in clicking and popping. I'm going to try playing my DVD-Audio stuff as video files and seeing if that fixes the problem.
      • If I'm not subscribed to SiriusXM, let me remove that app from the screen. Screw those people.
      • I wish I could get a pull-up cargo net for my V90 like I had in my V60.
      • It would be nice if Thor's Hammer could shoot lightning bolts at cars that don't get out of my way. First time you flash a car, it flashes the lights. Second time, you flash a car, it deletes the car from the road.

Notes:

• There are numerous quality of life improvements to the systems in this car which were also present in my V60 R-Design. I'm grateful that Volvo is listening to its customers' feedback.
      • The car was delivered with regular (87 AKI) fuel. It did not run well that way. Idle drone was obviously rougher and louder in Dynamic mode, and performance was significantly affected.

Thanks for taking the time to read my review. Note that if I make any updates, you'll be able to find them in later posts so you don't ever have to re-read to see how my opinion has changed.

Maintenance / Service Visits To Date

5/22/17 @ 720 Miles

- Vehicle brought in for Sensus issues including reboots, occasional unresponsiveness, plus Start/Stop Service Required Message which appeared for one drive cycle.
      - Vehicle Modem stopped providing cloud connectivity to apps when started after sitting in the sun during a heat wave, began working again a few days later when things cooled off.
      - Dealer updated software and said that should resolve all of these issues.

6/01/17 @ 1,023 Miles

- Vehicle brought in because cloud connectivity issue is not resolved. Cloud Connectivity icon is crossed off unless I use another data source. Apps can't get data.
      - Problem seemed to be brought on by either sitting in the hot sun or my use of remote start.
      - Tech / Volvo Engineer found my SIM card was registered as a dealer demo and it was causing me to have problems.
      - SIMs were reset, I signed up for AT&T Demo, and so far the problem has not reappeared.
      - Asked them to look at rear passenger-side door rattle. They couldn't find it this time, we'll try again later.
      Last edited by matt1122; 06-22-2017 at 11:44 AM.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Keystone Volvo, Berwyn, PA has that EXACT, same XC (minus the wheels and tires) right here, right NOW and for sale.
      Ask them to do a dealer trade and buy it now
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

I placed my order on Monday of this week. There were some technical difficulties (sales manager kept getting kicked out mid-build), but they eventually got the order through. They called me back for the deposit later in the week. Now I wait.

There is a part of me that really wanted a very different configuration with the Luxury Package:

But in the end, we decided the Luxury Package wasn't worth it. While this black + amber beauty would be sporty and more my flavor style-wise, there are some drawbacks to the luxury package/inscription trim. First, the leather is pulled more taught across the armrests, making them feel less plush. Second, the softer and more porous leather will not wear as well. Third, it's expensive and only includes things we really don't need. So we have decided to pass for now but until my last change date (or whatever it's called) I'll be thinking this over.

This build also, of course, includes Metallic Black paint (hard to keep clean and swirl/scratch free) and the styling package (which increases the price even further). More reasons to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      Keystone Volvo, Berwyn, PA has that EXACT, same XC (minus the wheels and tires) right here, right NOW and for sale.
      Ask them to do a dealer trade and buy it now
      My lease is up June 1st, so I don't need it now. Plus I'm leasing to start and forgot to include the Polestar Tune was part of the order. I can residualize the tune and have it port installed by ordering.

Also, the lease programs should get better. Maybe A-Plan will even be available. And I was able to negotiate a fair price in advance for a car a few months out. They "couldn't let one go for less than full MSRP when it was brand new on the lot" (paraphrasing).

Thanks though, Jim. I do appreciate your help.
      Last edited by matt1122; 06-20-2017 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Merged Posts, Images > Links
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Exciting! Subscribed.

Matt, I have to say that though I think you made the right decision, that black-on-Amber luxury build rendered above with styling package etc does look really fantastic. All it needs is a little blue badge on the rear

Congratulations on making your purchase. I hope you and your wife enjoy the car and look forward to seeing your detail-oriented take on it in the months to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      Configuration: Osmium Grey, Charcoal Leather Interior
      Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins Audio System, Rear Air Suspension with 4C, Polestar Performance Software

Platinum Trim Level, Enhanced BLIS Package, Technology Package, Heated Front Seats
      18" Ixion Wheels with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 in 235/45 R18, Standard Size (Prev: Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S)

Photos Pending Deliver

Important Dates
      02/27/2017 - Order Placed
      Sounds good Dude! Gotta up to 19's though, right?
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      I think he meant to write that he is trading his 2015 V60RD in when the V90CC comes in.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black, Platinum/Tech/Climate/BLIS/19" Ixion II, KN Filter, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Swaybar {His}
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD - Osmium Grey/Off Black {Hers}
      FS Items: XC60 Cargo Cover
      SOLD:1994 940 Turbo/2004 S40 LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda3 i-touring/2012 S60RD/2013 S60 T5AWD

I would change that to Amber leather.
      With Osmium, I think it's a MUCH prettier combo
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

I'm sure it is, but If your hauling kids in this thing it's also a ****ing nightmare.

2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      I'm sure it is, but If your hauling kids in this thing it's also a ****ing nightmare.

They need to offer that cloth/tweed that's coming out in the next XC60. You'll never see dirt or stains...

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by PureDrive07 View Post
      I think he meant to write that he is trading his 2015 V60RD in when the V90CC comes in.
      Yes, I am letting the V60 go when the lease is up on June 1. My dad's actually been repeatedly asking, "How many miles are on your car? How much does it cost to buy it at the end of the lease?" Every time we've been at my parents' house in the past 6 months it's come up. I finally asked him, and he is actually considering buying it out.

I need to edit out some extra stuff I forgot to cut when copy and pasting from my old thread.

Thanks, Jim. I was thinking about that or even Blonde with Osmium Grey. These colors really open up the interior and make the car feel less claustrophobic.

Also considering dropping the Osmium Grey and going to Ice White (or maybe Crystal White). I know on the old XC forums I used to visit when I had the XC70, Ice White XC's were considered the finest specimens.

The Blonde interior is exquisite. My wife, like me, didn't think the Charcoal was too dark when driving. But in the passenger seat the car seemed REALLY dark and just a little too minimalist.

And the tailgate stays black, which is good for the dog hanging out back there...

The amber interior may be a little too Halloween...

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      No kids, so no problem. Dog will either be in the tailgate or in some sort of soft crate in the back seat.

Here's an actual Crystal White with Blond Interior (correct spelling this time) via Instagram:

Last edited by matt1122; 04-29-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Merged Posts, Removed Image Dump

Niiiiiiice! I love the look of the V90! If I had waited an extra year, I would have gotten a V90 instead of the XC90 back in July. Has anyone seen the denim blue in person yet or have real pics (vs advertising/build pics)?
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ | Vision Package | Polestar | Crystal White Metallic/Charcoal interior (light beige headliner) - first Volvo and loving it!
      3M Driver/Passenger tint, clear paint protection film (full hood + front), Weather Tech mats (all 3 rows), OEM: 3 piece cargo tray, tow hitch, rear bumper strip, mud flaps, low profile roof rack

Configuration: Osmium Grey, Charcoal Leather Interior
      Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins Audio System, Rear Air Suspension with 4C, Polestar Performance Software
      19" 6-Double Spoke Tech Black Matte/Diamond Cut Wheels with stock tires

Photos Pending Delivery

Important Dates
      02/27/2017 - Order Placed
      Congratulations! Do you have delivery date?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. I did not get the ETA, not sure if it's available yet. I'm not chasing anyone for info yet.

I'm still thinking about Crystal White as the exterior color. I've decided I'll keep the Charcoal interior since this will be my daily driver, but I do like the "Storm Trooper" look Crystal White has for the outside and think it might stand out more that way.

I'm going to want either a sports car or convertible after this is all paid for and I'm sure I'm going to be keeping it. That car will get the more sensitive interior and exciting exterior colors. And I'm saying this now so I have proof it wasn't a midlife crisis when I buy a used 911 or something like a C90 Polestar in a few years.

Here's an actual Crystal White with Blond Interior (correct spelling this time) via Instagram:
      Nevar white! The only thing more difficult to keep clean than those blond seats would be the white exterior. I'd rather go "gray", and you know that is not easy for me. MEGA PASS!

And I'm saying this now so I have proof it wasn't a midlife crisis when I buy a used 911 or something like a C90 Polestar in a few years.
      I resemble that remark Looking at sporting convertibles.

My V60 is ice white and BMO Pete is right, it gets dirty quickly, though swirls are a non-issue, unlike a black car. Though like a black car, when it is clean it looks great. My last MX-5 was CWP and the metallic actually hides dirt better than ice white. I don't know how anyone, kids or no kids, could keep a blond interior like that clean.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Thanks. I did not get the ETA, not sure if it's available yet. I'm not chasing anyone for info yet.

I'm still thinking about Crystal White as the exterior color. I've decided I'll keep the Charcoal interior since this will be my daily driver, but I do like the "Storm Trooper" look Crystal White has for the outside and think it might stand out more that way.

I'm going to want either a sports car or convertible after this is all paid for and I'm sure I'm going to be keeping it. That car will get the more sensitive interior and exciting exterior colors. And I'm saying this now so I have proof it wasn't a midlife crisis when I buy a used 911 or something like a C90 Polestar in a few years.
      That's hilarious. I've got the same long term roadmap.

Today my "backup" options was revealed: http://www.porsche.com/microsite/panamera-sport-turismo/usa.aspx#home" - long heralded sport toursimo in the USA (even though some here claimed otherwise) - 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steering and excellent road dynamics in a proper estate!

So now it's either get this or the gts4...

Ps it's a shame it doesn't look quite as good as the prototype from a few years ago. But the sound and drive will bee out of this world.

Sorry to revisit old history...

Matt,
      Did you ever resolve the auto dimming exterior mirror mystery on your 2015 xc60 Platinum? I have exact same problem on the exact same car (still have some factory warranty left!). I am suspecting that the factory put the wrong mirrors on. Any input here would be greatly appreciated before I go bother my dealer.

Major congrats to you! Take a moment and realize how few of us actually get to order a new car. To order one. It's wicked expensive in my book to buy new, and you're buying high end new. I'll probably never but a brand new car again at my rate, but who knows. Two kids heading to college, one this year.

Anyway- You're very privileged and I'm happy we get to share in the updates and excitement!
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Major congrats to you! Take a moment and realize how few of us actually get to order a new car. To order one. It's wicked expensive in my book to buy new, and you're buying high end new. I'll probably never but a brand new car again at my rate, but who knows. Two kids heading to college, one this year.

Anyway- You're very privileged and I'm happy we get to share in the updates and excitement!
      Very true ...

Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
      Did you ever resolve the auto dimming exterior mirror mystery on your 2015 xc60 Platinum? I have exact same problem on the exact same car (still have some factory warranty left!). I am suspecting that the factory put the wrong mirrors on. Any input here would be greatly appreciated before I go bother my dealer.
      I did. The supplier for the chromatic glass used in the mirrors went out of business at the time my vehicle was built. Check your window sticker. If the auto-dimming mirrors are not listed there, you probably have already been compensated by paying less for the car. If they are listed there (under Pricing column under the PLATINUM heading as "Auto Dimming Interior and Exterior Mirrors"), let your service department know and they can contact Volvo and arrange to have the auto-dimming mirrors installed. They will need to install the glass and the software. There was no charge to me for this. If you no longer have your window sticker, your dealership's management or Volvo Customer Care may be able to access it through Volvo's computer system.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post

I guess not having children in our lives has its upsides, but if you knew more of our life situation I think you would consider yourself to be the privileged one. Don't ever take your health, your family, or your family's health for granted. Despite what they might cost to maintain, these are things you cannot buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      My V60 is ice white and BMO Pete is right, it gets dirty quickly, though swirls are a non-issue, unlike a black car. Though like a black car, when it is clean it looks great. My last MX-5 was CWP and the metallic actually hides dirt better than ice white. I don't know how anyone, kids or no kids, could keep a blond interior like that clean.
      Yep, and not hating on white as a color per se, but from experience having owned 3 white cars in the past.

Yes, I am letting the V60 go when the lease is up on June 1. My dad's actually been repeatedly asking, "How many miles are on your car? How much does it cost to buy it at the end of the lease?" Every time we've been at my parents' house in the past 6 months it's come up. I finally asked him, and he is actually considering buying it out.
      I assume you already know this, but just in case you hadn't heard: when you turn in a Volvo-leased car and initiate another Volvo lease, VCFS is supposed to "forgive" the end of lease fee on the first vehicle, although you will get hit with the new lease inception fee. I wouldn't put it past some dealers to either not know this or conveniently "forget" it when doing the paperwork and pocket the difference as ADP.
      Current: 2017 S90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Blonde, Inscription, Vision, Climate, Convenience, B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Spoiler, 20" Rims
      Current: 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD, Seashell/Beige, Platinum, BLIS/CTA, Front Seat Heat, 18" Titania Rims, Urbane Wood Trim
      Past: 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5; 1981 245 DL

You are 100% right, sir.
      I know nothing about it and don't need to know, but I hope you're all good now.
      I guess not having children in our lives has its upsides, but if you knew more of our life situation I think you would consider yourself to be the privileged one. Don't ever take your health, your family, or your family's health for granted. Despite what they might cost to maintain, these are things you cannot buy.
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
      I assume you already know this, but just in case you hadn't heard: when you turn in a Volvo-leased car and initiate another Volvo lease, VCFS is supposed to "forgive" the end of lease fee on the first vehicle, although you will get hit with the new lease inception fee. I wouldn't put it past some dealers to either not know this or conveniently "forget" it when doing the paperwork and pocket the difference as ADP.
      There should be an end-of-lease communication from VCFS to let the lessee know that the disposition fee will be waived if he/she enters a new VCFS lease...
      Last edited by GrecianVolvo; 03-04-2017 at 01:33 PM.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

I did receive that communication, which unfortunately also informed me my tread depth is currently right on the cusp of being too little (4/32"). Will probably also need to replace the tires. Of course, if someone is buying out the car I should be okay.

I received a printout of the order today to check over and gave the word I won't be making any changes. I had stopped by on my way home from the movies just to look at the Osmium Grey demo outside and I decided I'm keeping the order as-is.

Last change dates was 3/15/17.
      Planned Build Week is 4/7/17.
      Planned Factory Complete Date is 4/18/17.
      Planed Date to SCSL is 5/10/17.

I don't know what that last one is.

I did receive that communication, which unfortunately also informed me my tread depth is currently right on the cusp of being too little (4/32"). Will probably also need to replace the tires. Of course, if someone is buying out the car I should be okay.

I received a printout of the order today to check over and gave the word I won't be making any changes. I had stopped by on my way home from the movies just to look at the Osmium Grey demo outside and I decided I'm keeping the order as-is.

It's weird that there's 3 weeks between finalizing options and starting build.

Although I did hear this model is already in high demand in certain European countries.

Wish I could see a real out-in-wild shot of osmium grey. Turns out all the ones I've seen were mussel blue or something light blue- grey color.

Good to know it's only about 3 - 4 weeks from build complete to eta to your dealer. Hope I'm that lucky.

Congrats Matt! Looks sharp, as to leather colors.... if you want to avoid the blue jean stains by getting Amber - dont worry they are still very prevalent. Wish we would've gone with blonde. Osmium grey is a great color, our previous S60 was saville grey which was nice too, but osmium is really sharp. Good for you (and wife) that your order locks pretty soon, helps with how much time we spend mind-effing the configurator. I ordered my 911 GTS January 20 and it locks April 1..... my wife is about to shoot me if I mention the configurator again!
      Last edited by dude174; 03-04-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TIV70R View Post
      Wish I could see a real out-in-wild shot of osmium grey. Turns out all the ones I've seen were mussel blue or something light blue- grey color.
      There are a ton here: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/v90cc/?hl=en

Keep in mind that Osmium looks like a light blue-grey in darker lighting when photographed. It tends to look blue-grey in daylight when on video. The photos tend to be overexposed, which makes the area around the car easier to see but poorly represents the actual color of the car. The non-luxury package ones are exposed better usually because the black is there as a reference.

There are a ton here: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/v90cc/?hl=en

Keep in mind that Osmium looks like a light blue-grey in darker lighting when photographed. It tends to look blue-grey in daylight when on video. The photos tend to be overexposed, which makes the area around the car easier to see but poorly represents the actual color of the car. The non-luxury package ones are exposed better usually because the black is there as a reference.
      Wow - thank you so much for all these pictures!

Btw - what color is shown on the main model page: http://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/new...-cross-country -?

Last edited by TIV70R; 03-05-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Matt,

The "SCSL" stands for "Sales Company", in this case being VOLVO Car USA. Therefore, it means that the delivery at port , for now, is scheduled to be May 10. That is the date that the vessel arrives at port, meaning it could just be outside thr port or docked at port.

Those dates may change and/or will further solidify once the order status changes to "despatched" which stands for the order being on a vessel.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

Btw - what color is shown on the main model page: http://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/new...-cross-country -?
      That's the Osmium Grey foil wrap. You could probably get a similar effect for a bit less money if you had the Osmium Grey car wrapped in Xpel Stealth film. Both the foil and Xpel Stealth film reflect light differently than uncovered metallic paint.

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      The "SCSL" stands for "Sales Company", in this case being VOLVO Car USA. Therefore, it means that the delivery at port , for now, is scheduled to be May 10. That is the date that the vessel arrives at port, meaning it could just be outside thr port or docked at port.

Those dates may change and/or will further solidify once the order status changes to "despatched" which stands for the order being on a vessel.
      Thanks!

That's the Osmium Grey foil wrap. You could probably get a similar effect for a bit less money if you had the Osmium Grey car wrapped in Xpel Stealth film. Both the foil and Xpel Stealth film reflect light differently than uncovered metallic paint.

Thanks!
      Didn't realize it was matte. Thought it was just lighting and cloudy shot.

What's the ball park cost of getting xpel stealth?

This is a good set of pictures of OG color ... http://www.steingold.com/new/Volvo/2...35b9d43db3.htm

Last edited by TIV70R; 03-05-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Didn't realize it was matte. Thought it was just lighting and cloudy shot.

What's the ball park cost of getting xpel stealth?
      I've seen prices ranging from $3k - $6k on the web. Haven't gotten a quote myself.

I decided I can live with some chips in the paint.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast