matt1122's Long-Term V90 Cross Country Review and Microblog Thread - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Congrats Matt! The car looks great, and I dig those rims!
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by murrays View Post
      Will a 17" rim fit on a V90 CC?
      They should. I see the base V90 Momentum you can order in Europe comes with 17" wheels.

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/buy/shop...998-1240695412

Thanks, Pete.

Petrol V90s and all V90 CCs are only ever sold with the 18" and larger wheels from what I can see.

In the UK, 17" wheels are listed for the V90 but not not the V90 CC.

There may be a fitment issue, or it may just be that Volvo is only selling the wheels for the V90 in sizes it has the special V90 CC tires to match.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Congrats Matt! Looks sharp!

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post

There may be a fitment issue, or it may just be that Volvo is only selling the wheels for the V90 in sizes it has the special V90 CC tires to match.
      I'm thinking the latter, like the V60 CC's case. I doubt there's a brake clearance issue. I expect the limited demand for smaller wheel sizes on the larger models, in the US, is also a decision driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      Congrats Matt! The car looks great, and I dig those rims!
      It depends on the engine, for the petrol engines available in the US, the minimal size is always 18"

See detail in our Swiss price list:
      Bremssystem mit 16" Bremsanlage: D3 (Kinetic)
      • Bremssystem mit 17" Bremsanlage vorne, 16"
      hinten: D3 (Momentum, inscription, r*Design)
      • Bremssystem mit 17" Bremsanlage: D3 AWD, D4,
      D4 AWD
      • Bremssystem mit 18" Bremsanlage vorne, 17"
      hinten: T5, T5 AWD, T6 AWD, T8 AWD, D5 AWD

A few small updates:

1) Car was delivered @ 40.5 PSI in each tire. I've lowered this to 35.5PSI today (recommended is 35PSI) and am evaluating.
      2) US models appear to get the inscription floor mats even if they don't have the luxury package. These mats have a better border than the standard mats and cost about $25 more for a set.
      3) My iPhone and CarPlay are pissing me off because they make it difficult to connect the car to the internet using the phone. The phone connection definitely seems faster than the car's modem, though I need to run some speed tests to confirm. The problem is that Bluetooth is disabled whenever CarPlay is in use, so you have to connect via WiFi. iOS disables the WiFi hotspot after 90 seconds if there is no connection. So you have to manually open settings > hotspot every time you get in the car to allow it to connect. And sometimes the car just isn't seeing the SSID for some reason. Very frustrating! May make the $10/$20 per month data subscription feel necessary.
      4) The Spotify app is so far inferior to using Spotify via CarPlay.

I'll be trying to post the first review part next weekend or the week after. The performance-related reviews will come in June.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

Vehicle is in today for first service. The problems include...

1. Sensus has rebooted "randomly" a few times since delivery, resulting in loss of all infotainment/navigation functionality for a few minutes mid-drive.
      2. Data modem was not working during heat wave last week. All apps just said "connecting" until I switched to Bluetooth hotspot on my iPhone.
      3. Sensus sometimes becomes unresponsive. Can't scroll, swipe, or tap anything. Sometimes hitting home fixes it, other times I just have to wait.
      4. Start/Stop Service Required message which appeared Friday.

720 Miles on the odometer at this time.

Loaner is a MY17 XC60 T5 AWD Premier Inscription in Mussel Blue which drives nicely.

Dealer now had a stunning black V90 CC with Luxury Package on the lot. I made the mistake of washing the pollen off my car at a self-service car wash last week and figured I didn't need to dry it off but then got stuck in traffic. The Osmium Grey and tinted windows really show water spots. And the water was apparently very hard. I ended up having to rewash with White Vinegar when I got home. The way this thing took on spots, I might as well have gone all the way and gotten the black one.

A few things I would change about my early first drive review:

- Not sure why the resonance from the exhaust increases so much when in Dynamic mode (it's booming at a stop light) but I'm not entirely convinced there's a full active flange at work. Idle does increase slightly, and maybe the little 2.0L block has that effect at slightly higher RPMs.

- At around 400-500 miles, the suspension really loosened up a lot very suddenly. It's almost like the air suspension and/or 4C have a special break-in mode. The suspension is not doing quite as great a job absorbing everything anymore, but it's still very good. Instead of being unbelievable, it's just an A.

And a few quick updates ahead of the real performance review:

- Off-Road Drive Mode is amazing. It soaks up craters in such a manner that it feels like rolling over on a soft bed with a 12" feather topper.
      - Dynamic Drive Mode makes the car drive very well for what it is, but falls way short of transforming this into a fun to drive car.
      - High speed stability (80mph+) is compromised by the ride height, even in Dynamic Chassis mode. The car still handles fine, but if you have to brake during a hard curve at those speeds weight transfers very quickly from one side to the other. While you would be okay on a wide turn on a proper race track where you can punch it through the curve, this is not a good car for hard driving no matter what the drive mode. I'd go with the Inscription or R-Design if you want to carve it up, despite how initial handling seems on a test drive. Still the best cross country to date. Very very happy with this car. Takes the rush right out of rush hour and is amazingly relaxing and enjoyable to drive.

Yeah, never black. With black comes obvious polishing swirl marks, fine scratches, chips, along with your water spots.

Ya know a 4 corner adjustable airbag suspension would have really helped the cornering when summoned (sorry, this omission on this model line just boggles my mind). I've test driven old Audi Allroad's with fully adjustable air, and the handling improvement from full lifted to dropped was pretty obvious. I assume the XC90's adjustable air suspension makes a big difference when completely lowered, though it still has a tall center of gravity, and remains a heavy beast. Is it possible that the new lower and wider XC60 with 4 corner air at the lowest setting, and in Dynamic mode, could out handle the V90CC with 4C?

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      Is it possible that the new lower and wider XC60 with 4 corner air at the lowest setting, and in Dynamic mode, could out handle the V90CC with 4C?
      Interesting question. Shorter wheelbase and higher center of gravity/roofline on the XC60 would make me doubt it. The V90CC may not be a race car, but from my test drive, I'd say it'll out handle pretty much any high body crossover or SUV.

I had an allroad for years, and when the airbags worked, it was fun, but there's a reason many allroad enthusiasts went with K&N coil-overs. I'm happy with the V90CC single height air. Wouldn't want the complexity of the XC60 system ever.

will be interesting to read about your experience

beautiful car

it should be pretty capable offroad (for a vehicle that drives very nicely onroad) - some say more capable than the the XC90 (due to exit angles). Any offroading (more than just a simple dirt road) in your future?
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD (OSD purchase - June)(for towing/camping and backroad journeys)(100,000 miles); 2008 C30 T5 (MT) OSD purchase (December)(mine); 2004 Porsche Boxster (used)(hers); 2007 Prius (handed down)

Quote Originally Posted by Teleman View Post

I had an allroad for years, and when the airbags worked, it was fun, but there's a reason many allroad enthusiasts went with K&N coil-overs. I'm happy with the V90CC single height air. Wouldn't want the complexity of the XC60 system ever.
      I don't think there is that much more complexity with the XC60 4C all air bag suspension than the V90 4C with rear airbag, other than those two addition bags up front? Maybe an additional air pump also? The biggest issue with the Allroad bags was their longevity and replacement cost, if I'm not mistaken. Keep in mind that was older technology, so I would assume that the new bags have a longer life.

It would have twice as many bags and other parts that can fail with the four wheel air suspension, but I do still kind of wish the V90 CC had this. Modern systems are supposedly much improved over the old Allroads. Being able to lower the height to R-Design-levels would be cool. Unfortunately, it's not being offered. And it's probably a decision made for good reasons. The A6 Allroad had 1.5" lower tires and rode quite a bit like a truck even at max height. I'd prefer the V90 CC's refined ride to being able to drop it a few inches. Plus, that would increase wear on the chassis and air suspension, which wouldn't be good for my intended use - long term.

Regarding yesterday's service, dealer techs believe software upgrade will resolve all of my problems.

New software is nice. While I can't confirm it's functional, the software upgrade did add a new function in the IntelliSafe options: Steering to avoid an accident when there is high risk of a collision (like the new XC60, I believe).

Hope the Sensus upgrade fixes those gremlins. I'm picking mine up shortly and will ask to see if they can get the upgrade in there before I take it home.

Thanks for sharing Matt--this will be a nice thread to follow.
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

I doubt there's a brake clearance issue. I expect the limited demand for smaller wheel sizes on the larger models, in the US, is also a decision driver.
      I'm hoping that means the 17" wheels and snow tires that I currently have for my 2006 V50 will then fits the 2018 V90 AWD Inspiration I have on order (supposedly arriving mid-July).

I have not had any reboots or unresponsiveness since the update.

However, the modem issue came back yesterday after the car sat in the hot sun while I was grocery shopping.

Data apps can't connect if car modem is selected. Using bluetooth internet through my iPhone corrects symptoms.

SIM icon shows full bars (although it did briefly show no bars at one point), but the cloud connectivity icon is always crossed off.

The car modem's connectivity did not come back at all yesterday in any later driving cycles. I haven't driven yet today to see if it is working again.

Quote Originally Posted by stepwilk View Post
      I'm hoping that means the 17" wheels and snow tires that I currently have for my 2006 V50 will then fits the 2018 V90 AWD Inspiration I have on order (supposedly arriving mid-July).
      I'm interested in this albeit for somewhat different reasons: MOAR SIDEWALL

If any of you who actually own the car can confirm that 17s fit, that would be most appreciated for my own "research" and further hair-brained schemes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

V90 as T5 or T6 come always with 18" breaksystem at the front an 17" at the rear.
      On a V90CC the 18" wheels look like this: http://selekt.volvocars.co.uk/picser..._sc66kyt_4.jpg
      V50 wheels would be way to small for the bigger and heavier V90.
      7x17" Cratus, fitting a V50 is ET52.5 and the tires are 205/50R17
      8x18" 10-Spoke Turbine, fitting a V90 is ET42 and the tires are 245/45R18
      7.5x18" 5-Double Spoke, fitting a V90CC is ET52 and tires are 235/55R18

I would add that stock sidewall is 4.6" high. A 17" wheel keeping close to the same total diameter would need a 235/60R17 tire.

That seems to really limit your options to Blizzak WS80's, which are fortunately phenomenal winter wheels. They do seem to have an appropriate load rating at first glance in that size.

Still, I think an extra inch of sidewall on both sides would be very detrimental to ride stability.

I would add that stock sidewall is 4.6" high. A 17" wheel keeping close to the same total diameter would need a 235/60R17 tire.

That seems to really limit your options to Blizzak WS80's, which are fortunately phenomenal winter wheels. They do seem to have an appropriate load rating at first glance in that size.

Still, I think an extra inch of sidewall on both sides would be very detrimental to ride stability.
      Standard tire size for the less powerful European diesel V90's is 225/55R17, in the 18" size you'll get several good winter tires in the us, including Bridgestone, Michelin, Dunlop...

Those cars aren't riding on the lifted chassis of the cross country, though. (edit:)

225/55R17 has a 4.9" sidewall, which is actually just slightly less (0.2") than 235/55R18 tires on the CC. To go with 17" wheels on the CC and maintain ground clearance and overall diameter you need to increase sidewall height by 0.75". That's a lot of give to add, especially with the suspension lift.

It's probably worth mentioning that the number after the slash is a ratio figure relative to the section width of the tire. So /50 on a 225 tire is a lower sidewall than /50 on a 235 tire. Just in case people don't realize that in this conversation.

But since they don't fit over the brakes, I guess we don't have to watch out for supper sloppy CCs. :)
      Last edited by matt1122; 05-30-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Exactly, only the regular V90 are available with the smaller Diesel engines and 17" brakes, the CC always has 18" breaks.

For some reason, my SIM card was registered as a dealer demo. Tech had to work with a Volvo engineer to get it resolved, they reset the card and now I'm properly registered with AT&T and the problem with the modem has yet to reappear.

Door rattle did now show itself while vehicle was at dealership. I'll have to return for that.

I'm noticing changes in performance and how the vehicle handles throttle input in various drive modes which will delay finishing my review.

Posted a basic review. I have a wordier much more detailed review started but unless someone's paying me I don't think I'm going to keep spending time on it.

Modem problem happened again last Thursday. Ruh roh. New notes will be added over time, and I have to go over some notes to add to this one. I'll make new posts when I add new notes so people don't feel like they have to go back to find out what I changed. Because no one should have to do that or even be willing to do that anyway.

Just a little update and my latest feelings:

• Mood lights are more effective than I realized, but I wish there was more color variety. Light pollution in my area also makes it harder to appreciate.
      • Reading reviews about the E Class Wagon (which supposedly uses the same air suspension supplier) leads me to believe that the way long and significantly deep imperfections are well absorbed but sudden or abrupt imperfections are not is a characteristic of the technology and not a fault with the system. It's also nice to know the E Class suffers in the same way.
      • The engine is really great from a roll and I've actually come to really love the way it sounds. The sound of the engine and exhaust is actually quite nice, though the smaller volume means a less audible intake and a less breathy exhaust.
      Dynamic Mode actually really does make this car fun to drive if you aren't used to a rocketship/"one with the road" experience like a P3 R-Design.

After delivery, my wife and I noticed that the dealership had left the best part of the "unboxing" for us...

When Gracenote processes my USB music, it takes tracks which were not on the original album but were added to extended releases or foreign releases and puts them in a separate album called "Album [Bonus Tracks]"

This is nonsense and shouldn't be happening, you end up with one-track albums listed in the Library.

I can't seem to find any way around this.

Also, at this point I've basically confirmed the system does not work properly with either 24/96 audio. What a huge disappointment when having paid for a Hi-Fi grade stereo system but it can't support true Hi-Fi audio.

What codecs did you try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone checked their AT&T Vehicle Data plan usage on AT&T's website during their trial to see if it's supposed to be accurate?

https://myvehicle.att.com/#/dashboard

Mine says 5.93MB even though I've used over 2GB since starting my trial earlier this month. I'm wondering if there's still something wrong with how my vehicle modem is set up since the problem is not completely gone.

Has anyone checked their AT&T Vehicle Data plan usage on AT&T's website during their trial to see if it's supposed to be accurate?

https://myvehicle.att.com/#/dashboard

Mine says 5.93MB even though I've used over 2GB since starting my trial earlier this month. I'm wondering if there's still something wrong with how my vehicle modem is set up since the problem is not completely gone.
      I have been noticing the same.

Until the change, I used to track 3.5GB to never more than 4GB and now, since April 27, it is telling me I have used 17.3 GBs (I have the unlimited package but...still.).
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

Maybe I'm using your data, Yannis!

36. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3