Once again I own an R
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Once again I own an R

So this is a bit of a story and an introduction. TLDR: I got an R again.

Several years ago, in a galaxy far away (California)
      I bought an 2005 S60R (Titanium grey w/ auto and body kit) and it was good.
      My wife (at the time) and I loved the car and drove it with great abandon.
      Sadly the warranty ran out (8K+ of work on 3K warranty in 2 years)
      With great sadness the car was sold to Carmax.
      The R shaped hole in my being has never healed.

Fast forward several years (No wife but 100 series land cruiser added)
      Have been searching to fill the R shaped hole.
      Checking Carmax for 5 years (Thanks Jalopnik and Doug D) to get the warranty.

Joy of Joys
      January of 2017
      2006 S60R w/ body kit and auto in grey w/ Norcap @ Carmax
      Pay transfer fee from another galaxy (back east)
      Pick up the R at the beginning of FEB in Sacramento.

It is everything I remembered and more (6 speed instead of 5)

Pictures forthcoming.

Important notes:

S60R with ~68K miles
      Carmax Warranty 4 years or 125K miles

A special shout out to:

Dave, Craig, Wendy @ Performance Techniques in Campbell, CA for the buyers inspection. Great service and Carmax is now fixing many things under their 30 day warranty. ☺

PS,

R sighting on 2/28/17 Hazel and Douglas in SAC, Silver S60R no pic.

Good to be back in the R club.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Make CarMax do the transmission valve body!
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

Attempt at PIC until I get the caR back.

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      Make CarMax do the transmission valve body!
      ^^1000 times this! I went for a ride in a super nice sonic R that sadly had valve body issues, it was like every rough shift tore away a piece of your heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      completely unable to go through drive thrus

2004 M66 Passion Red V70r, 2004 XC70

The shifting was apparently good during the buyers inspection. While I would love to have them do all the things that we know the R would need, the warranty only covers things that suck right now. But I have 55K+ miles to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofMonty View Post
      The shifting was apparently good during the buyers inspection. While I would love to have them do all the things that we know the R would need, the warranty only covers things that suck right now. But I have 55K+ miles to get it done.
      How long was the buyers inspection? Gets worse when hot, so the test drive might need to be 30 minutes. It should be in D and really pushed hard for shifts 1-2 & 2-3 to see if it will act up.

Edit: During an average day, or if it's just my wife driving, the transmission seems to be working perfectly fine. But I've experienced the flares enough to know that's not true.
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement

I drove over 2 hours (in Bay area traffic w/ plenty of WOT during opportunities) to get to Performance Techniques and the test drive was shortly after I arrived. I am confident they were very thorough. I am very pleased with the inspection and the time that was spent on it. The report I received was just the thing that I needed to present to Carmax. I think they might be starting to realize that they are going to take a bath on this warranty.

PS, V70R at the shop looked and sounded amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofMonty View Post
      I drove over 2 hours (in Bay area traffic w/ plenty of WOT during opportunities) to get to Performance Techniques and the test drive was shortly after I arrived. I am confident they were very thorough. I am very pleased with the inspection and the time that was spent on it. The report I received was just the thing that I needed to present to Carmax. I think they might be starting to realize that they are going to take a bath on this warranty.

PS, V70R at the shop looked and sounded amazing!
      Fair enough. That's about all you can do. I wasn't meaning to rain on your parade, just hoping to get you as much fixing as possible.

CarFax is taking a pretty big risk throwing a warranty onto an 11 year old R... lol

Oh, I did not think you were. Your concerns are more that valid and if they had mentioned any shifting issues I would have asked they document it. The warranty is the only way I justified it as making the best bad choice I could. And I have the Land Cruiser for all other times. At least I am going in this time with realistic expectations. They are not taking a risk, they are doomed

Congrats. I tried searching Carmax a couple times when I was looking, but came up empty and I assumed maybe the window for them to buy R's had passed.
      2004 S60R M66
      2006 V50 T5 awd

So indeed the window has almost closed. Carmen only carries cars 10 years old or less. Right now 1 R in silver at South SAC w 67K miles and no body kit. They will sell you a 4 year 125K total mileage warranty. You are paying the Carmax premium + a warranty premium. If you want an R with a Warranty, there is just the hope that an 07 pops up this year. I can tell you from checking Carmax constantly for several years, I have seen only 4 or 5 R total come up and only a couple with the body kit. If you can pay to play, Jump on this silver R with the warrant and add the body kit. My opinion only and no way endorses this particular caR.

Welcome back to the fold. To get you fully immersed, put the weekend of April 29-30 on your calendar...

Hope to see you there.
      2015.5 V60 Polestar BSM #46 (SOLD)
      2014 XC60 R-Design Passion Red/Off Black, OSD, Savini BM7, lowered, swaybar, Koni FSD
      2006 V70R 6M
      ElecSilver/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, Bell FMIC
      2004 S60R 6M TiGrey/Nordkap, 18" Ti Pegs, Bell FMIC, IPD Stage II, Eibachs, Quaife LSD

Valve bodies typically don't fail till around 125k or more and usually because it wasn't cared for properly. That being said, they can fail at anytime. Frequent tranny flushes (every 50k) should keep the trans running smooth. Heat effects the VB because it changes the fluid, breaks it down and so it won't perform as well as it should. A lot of guys service all fluids around 35-50k mark. Awd, power steering, trans, etc etc. I also own an 06 SR, and previously had an 05 SR and have had many convos about the differences in the Aw55 and tf80. Keep the fluid fresh and your problems will be minimal. Welcome to the club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      06 S60R GT. All stock. For now.

Thanks! Really good to be back. If I am not working then I will try to be there.
      2006 S60R GT with Body kit ~70K miles (stock)
      2002 Toyota Land Cruiser ~110K miles (stock)
      1965 Porsche 356C ~??? miles (rough but running)

Thanks SwampBoy. I will keep a close eye on the fluid condition going forward. All fluids are being changed while Carmax has the car right now.
      2006 S60R GT with Body kit ~70K miles (stock)
      2002 Toyota Land Cruiser ~110K miles (stock)
      1965 Porsche 356C ~??? miles (rough but running)

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements