Volvotech VBB4 Install & Apple TV in my 08
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Volvotech VBB4 Install & Apple TV in my 08

installed the VBB4 Backup camera kit.

Camera comes mounted to an exact replacement license plate light:

Here's a backup image:

And here's the best part of all that wasn't initially planned. I installed an Apple TV to the front input of the VBB4 and AUX in on my Dynaudio System. I can mirror my iPhone on the monitor or use my phone as a mobile hotspot and use the apple tv directly with the remote. Can watch movies, videos, use Waze app (or apple/google maps), display album art etc. All wirelessly.

Last edited by ricksli; 03-03-2017 at 07:08 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ricksli View Post
      installed the VBBR Backup camera kit.

Camera comes mounted to an exact replacement license plate light:

Here's a backup image:

And here's the best part of all that wasn't initially planned. I installed an Apple TV to the front input of the VBB4 and AUX in on my Dynaudio System. I can mirror my iPhone on the monitor or use my phone as a mobile hotspot and use the apple tv directly with the remote. Can watch movies, videos, use Waze app (or apple/google maps), display album art etc. All wirelessly.

wow love that you plugged in an appletv to allow airplay and mirroring! my dream setup. too bad my c70 didn't come with the nav screen....
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

Junior Member dietschmotorworks's Avatar
      Nice work! Did you purchase from volvotech directly?

How did you tap in for power & aux?

Would love to have a Roku/Chromecast for a wireless Spotify integration/mirror on my XC90!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yep. Got it direct.

The Apple TV 4 power supply was converted to 12v with a kit. Wasn't too difficult to do. Tapped power from same line I ran for my dash cam.

Hdmi to composite adapter from the Apple TV gave me standard video input for the VBB4 and audio output that I ran to the AUX inside armrest console.

Wow! Great idea. Does the factory nav still work as well? Would love to get some more detailed instructions on how to get the Apple TV wired in and where you located it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Flamenco Red Metallic - ClearBra - Sport Pedals - IPD Tune - Elevate FMIC, Turbo Intake Pipe, DownPipe, Engine Torque Mount & RSB - VIVA Strut Brace - KN Air Filter

Yep, regular nav still works. I even updated them with the DVD someone sells on this forum. The VBB4 comes with a toggle switch that switches back and forth between the Factory Nav and the VBB4 Front Input. I mounted it in the glovebox alongside the nav unit.

Haven't used the factory nav since doing this though. I'm addicted to Waze and one of the unexpected things was that if using Airplay, the alerts from the nav apps are still routed into the car audio system and lower the music as well just like the factory system.

The Apple TV once modified was as simple as power and ground. I put it by behind the waterfall dash by the passengers left foot, behind the carpet. Plenty of room in there.

Oh and that's another reason to use Apple TV 4. The remote is RF so you can hide it away.
      Last edited by ricksli; 03-04-2017 at 07:51 AM.

For those considering this, there's essentially three ways to use it:

1) Mirroring from iPhone. This uses the iPhone data. Mirroring just duplicates the display on the Nav. If in portrait mode, it looks lousy. Accessibility features come in handy here so I can switch the display to landscape mode. Not great though as anything you do on the iPhone shows on the display on the nav. But handy when there's no other way like when using an app like Waze that doesn't offer Airplay.

2) Airplay from iPhone. This also uses the iPhone data. Great since when an app has Airplay you can switch the audio/video output to the Apple TV. Album art, etc will display on the nav unit and you can still use the iPhone without interrupting the output to the Apple TV. So you can check e-mail, text messages, even have your Map app running with the audio alerts still sent to the Apple TV (like I mentioned in previous post). All control is still through the iPhone.

3) WiFi Connection with Mobile Hotspot. This is my preferred method...thanks to the mobile data wars lately. This uses Mobile Hotspot data with your carrier. I've got Sprint which gives me 10gb a month which is more than enough to stream away worry free. I just turn on personal hotspot on the phone and the apple tv connects to the wifi connection. This keeps the Apple TV use completely independent of the iPhone. This way I can use the Apple TV with its included remote. Gives access to all Apple TV apps as well.
      Last edited by ricksli; 03-04-2017 at 07:45 AM.

so jealous!

i really do love the c70 (especially with all mods including tune, suspension, etc) and can imagine keeping it longer if the electronics weren't so outdated. this solves my 2 big wishes: backup camera and airplay/mirroring. the video in is better than carplay because it lets you apps like waze and stream whatever you want. awesome
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

lol. I understand that! This car was in an accident last year...was without it over a month. I hated the rental car but when I got my C70 back, the ONLY thing I missed was the updated tech/carplay and the backup camera. That's what started this all.

This is better than carplay. I agree. I also made one screen on my iPhone dedicated to apps that I use in the car. Like a carplay page, but better!

Car looked great when I got it back. They took care of some other stuff while it was in the shop. Added some new wheels and updated the tech. I definitely plan on keeping this car longer now.

I definitely want to do this. Only concern is around splicing in the Apple TV. Could you provide a list of all of the adapters you purchased (where? Brand?) and some instructions on how to splice into power and connect/route to the aux input? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Flamenco Red Metallic - ClearBra - Sport Pedals - IPD Tune - Elevate FMIC, Turbo Intake Pipe, DownPipe, Engine Torque Mount & RSB - VIVA Strut Brace - KN Air Filter

You'll need this to convert the Apple TV to 12v:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122333123212...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

He'll send a link with instructions. All you need is some small Torx screwdrivers. No soldering necessary. Easy to do. Took about an hour or so.

When you're done, you can tap into your fuse for the lighter for power.

For the Apple TV 4 I used this HDMI to composite adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is important because it has a built in DAC. This is a must. (A standard HDMI to Composite will not work.) This DAC doesn't need it's own power like some other models.

Notice it's a female end on the HDMI. You'll need a male HDMI input for the Apple TV. Since this was long enough, I just purchased this to adapt:

For audio and to minimize further adapters, I used this 3.5mm (for the AUX in on the Volvo) to dual female RCA so it can attach directly to the male RCA's on the Composite adapter.

The Video Output from the composite cable just plugged into the front video input on my Volvotech VBB4 which I tucked above the glovebox before putting it back in.

Here's a pic of how I ran the AUX cable. Start running the cable from here. I drilled a hole large enough to get a single RCA through and pushed them through one at a time. (You can take the console apart too, I did that when I installed the Ipod mount, but it's a pain with that in there to do so again).

After you shove enough cable down that hole, leaving enough slack to plug it into the AUX, you'll be able to pull the side of the console away from the carpet to grab the RCAs/cable and just run/tuck them along the console and run where necessary.

Last edited by ricksli; 03-04-2017 at 12:17 PM.

You'll need this to convert the Apple TV to 12v:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122333123212...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

He'll send a link with instructions. All you need is some small Torx screwdrivers. No soldering necessary. Easy to do. Took about an hour or so.

When you're done, you can tap into your fuse for the lighter for power.

For the Apple TV 4 I used this HDMI to composite adapter:

This is important because it has a built in DAC. This is a must. (A standard HDMI to Composite will not work.) This DAC doesn't need it's own power like some other models.

Notice it's a female end on the HDMI. You'll need a male HDMI input for the Apple TV. Since this was long enough, I just purchased this to adapt:

For audio and to minimize further adapters, I used this 3.5mm (for the AUX in on the Volvo) to dual female RCA so it can attach directly to the male RCA's on the Composite adapter.

The Video Output from the composite cable just plugged into the front video input on my Volvotech VBB4 which I tucked above the glovebox before putting it back in.
      Do I just use wire taps on the positive and negative wires going to the cigarette lighter? Or do I have to tap into the fuse box?

Here's a pic of how I ran the AUX cable. Start running the cable from here. I drilled a hole large enough to get a single RCA through and pushed them through one at a time. (You can take the console apart too, I did that when I installed the Ipod mount, but it's a pain with that in there to do so again).

After you shove enough cable down that hole, leaving enough slack to plug it into the AUX, you'll be able to pull the side of the console away from the carpet to grab the RCAs/cable and just run/tuck them along the console and run where necessary.

How is the sound quality going through the aux jack? Any issues with the connection? I have a blue tooth adapter currently plugged in the aux jack and sometimes I need to play with it to get both sides working.

Also how is the video quality?

Video quality is only 480p. It's not bad. Small text can be hard to read, but video, maps album art all look good enough. It dims at night just like the factory nav does.

I have my ipod which is a factory install with all Apple Lossless music that i ripped myself and installed the same lossless files on my iPhone and used airplay. I couldn't hear a difference.

Now sound from the Apple TV with streaming Apple Music is quite good, but doesn't quite compare to the Lossless music on my iPod. But it's still excellent overall.

As far as power, I tapped power off a line from that fuse that I already ran for my dashcam. For ground, behind the waterfall console, there's plenty of metal. I blasted a screw in there to ground.

You should be able to easily power off the cigarette lighter as well. I had my dashcam originally wired that way without issue.
      Last edited by ricksli; 03-04-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Video quality is only 480p. It's not bad. Small text can be hard to read, but video, maps album art all look good enough. It dims at night just like the factory nav does.

I have my ipod which is a factory install with all Apple Lossless music that i ripped myself and installed the same lossless files on my iPhone and used airplay. I couldn't hear a difference.

Now sound from the Apple TV with streaming Apple Music is quite good, but doesn't quite compare to the Lossless music on my iPod. But it's still excellent overall.

As far as power, I tapped power off a line from that fuse that I already ran for my dashcam. For ground, behind the waterfall console, there's plenty of metal. I blasted a screw in there to ground.

You should be able to easily power off the cigarette lighter as well. I had my dashcam originally wired that way without issue.
      Hmmnn.. 480p. How does video look? Have you watched any movies or Netflix?Any chance of upscaling video?

As far as I know, the C70 monitor in my '08 is 480p so that's the limiting factor. Video is good, not great. Worse time is in the morning/evening when the sensor dims everything but it's still to bright outside for video. It's not an overly bright monitor to begin with so dark scenes will be dark.

I haven't tried Netflix. Tried some various tv stations, music videos, Vevo....again, good, not great.

More than acceptable though.

As far as I know, the C70 monitor in my '08 is 480p so that's the limiting factor. Video is good, not great. Worse time is in the morning/evening when the sensor dims everything but it's still to bright outside for video. It's not an overly bright monitor to begin with so dark scenes will be dark.

I haven't tried Netflix. Tried some various tv stations, music videos, Vevo....again, good, not great.

More than acceptable though.
      Mine is a 2011. I'm guessing it is the same. Is there a place to check the resolution?

Thanks for all your insight.

480p is nearly DVD Resolution, so nothing to be too worried about at that screen size.
      C70 I 2.0 -> C70 II T5 -> the Moon?

I don't see this stated so I figured I would share my research.

You can connect many different devices to this video input, but it must be PAL capable. The RTI system is using the Europe PAL video standard vs. NTSC which is what we use here in the U.S.

I had inquired to VolvoTech about this before I ordered it. I believe I had seen you post this in another thread. This was there response:

"No, does not matter. Always NTSC ;-)
      (In the earlier days we had different appliances where we needed to steer the right input, nowerdays we only use the NTSC, it’s the way we control the screen that decides how it works).
      So even in an xc90 which from originality would be PAL, we send in NTSC since the screen allows and our input decides what the screen does ;-)"

I had inquired to VolvoTech about this before I ordered it. I believe I had seen you post this in another thread. This was there response:

"No, does not matter. Always NTSC ;-)
      (In the earlier days we had different appliances where we needed to steer the right input, nowerdays we only use the NTSC, it’s the way we control the screen that decides how it works).
      So even in an xc90 which from originality would be PAL, we send in NTSC since the screen allows and our input decides what the screen does ;-)"
      Awesome to hear, maybe they updated the firmware.

I haven't posted about the subject, but was referring to this thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?t=212646

Volvotech's specs don't say much.

I know we have the same DVD-RTI screen (08' XC90).

Edit: The link on that thread to volvotech clearly states vbb3.

On post #13 of that thread volvotech.eu themselves note the difference.

So many possibilities now.
      Last edited by dietschmotorworks; 03-07-2017 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dietschmotorworks View Post
      I don't see this stated so I figured I would share my research.

You can connect many different devices to this video input, but it must be PAL capable. The RTI system is using the Europe PAL video standard vs. NTSC which is what we use here in the U.S.

Any VBB interface will offer a NTSC video-input.
      PAL is NOT used anymore by our devices (only in the iMIV still).
      So further more, no doubting please, its NTSC our interfaces offer.
      VolvoTech.EU
      Your resource for Volvo Electronics.
      Only the best for your Volvo!

Please send any personal technical or sales matter to info@volvotech.eu.

Quote Originally Posted by volvotech.eu View Post
      Any VBB interface will offer a NTSC video-input.
      PAL is NOT used anymore by our devices (only in the iMIV still).
      So further more, no doubting please, its NTSC our interfaces offer.

Thanks for the clarification volvotech.eu, much appreciated!
      Last edited by dietschmotorworks; 03-20-2017 at 02:38 PM.

ricksli - does the loss of one of the license plate lights for the rear camera make a difference in lighting up the plate? I am close to pulling the trigger on the VBB4 but am deciding between the license plate camera or the mini-cam installed elsewhere.
      regtor
      2011 C70 T5 electric silver metallic/cranberry
      dynamic, multimedia, climate & convenience packages
      blis, sport pedals, oem front strut bar, elevate rear sway bar
      polestar+ performance upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by regtor View Post
      ricksli - does the loss of one of the license plate lights for the rear camera make a difference in lighting up the plate? I am close to pulling the trigger on the VBB4 but am deciding between the license plate camera or the mini-cam installed elsewhere.

Nope. The bracket for the camera uses the light from the stock bracket. You remove the metal tabs from the factory light and install them on the new bracket they give you and just reuse the same bulb. Camera blocks it a bit, bit it's fine.

Nope. The bracket for the camera uses the light from the stock bracket. You remove the metal tabs from the factory light and install them on the new bracket they give you and just reuse the same bulb. Camera blocks it a bit, bit it's fine.
      Thanks. I've ordered the version with the license plate camera and will report back.
      regtor

Hey what was the cost with shipping? i just might do it. When you get it could you post the installation time and the level of difficulty. thanks
      2011 S40 T5 Polestar-Barents-Convector Wheels/BLIS/R Type Spoiler
      2011- C70-T5 - Polestar--Electric Silver-Loaded- except Blis
      1987- Vanagon Westy Camper

Check it out here, note currency selector in upper left hand corner (USD or euro)
      https://www.volvotech.eu/c70/C70-2006-2013/vbb4-lplc
      regtor

I received the VBB4 quickly from the good folks at VolvoTech in Netherlands. After a close review of instructions I decided to pay a trusted installer to put it in. It took him about 2.5 hours as he knows what he's doing (it probably would've taken me all weekend). I'm very happy with results. My installer left a good quality RCA cable plugged into the extra video input and tucked away so I could plug something else in (DVD player) but frankly I can't see ever doing that.

Here's a pic of everything that came in the box - note the nice camera fitted to the replacement license plate plastic housing. As suggested by ricksli, I took the metal tabs and bulb out of the old housing and installed in the new housing (with the camera) light works great.

Picture quality is not bad:

regtor

gosh that looks awesome. congrats! really wish i had the built in nav screen to do this upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it lift automatically and the camera come on automatically when you put it in reverse or how does that work?

It doesn't change the up/down functionality. It just overrides the display when car is put in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by rodneygt View Post
      Does it lift automatically and the camera come on automatically when you put it in reverse or how does that work?
      The navi needs to be on for the camera to work. Unfortunately, it won't pop open if you shift to reverse and the navi is not already on. I'm getting used to leaving the navi on all the time and hit the steering wheel button to get past the start screen (with the legal warning) after starting the car. (Unless you shut down the navi, it will start again when you restart the car)
      regtor

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements