TunedXC60 Build Thread - Performance
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hi folks.

Wanted to start a thread to journal the work that has gone into my 2016 XC60 T6 3.0. I got the Polestar optimization software loaded on at the dealer before I even drove it off the lot. Besides the stealth subwoofer audio stuff did when I bought the vehicle in October, the vehicle has had some additional mods done to improve performance and handling.

Base 0-60 time measured with my ODB2 tool was 5.9 to 6 seconds. Measured max boost at 18.5 psi.

Nov, 2016: Started with the TDI tuning box here -

https://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and...ip_P13819.html

At the time TDI Tuning wouldn't directly import to US, so I had to import it myself through a 3rd party. Install wasn't difficult, but the MAP sensor on the intercooler pipe was a PITA to remove. I ended buying a special tool from Amazon that looked like a butter knife with a hook to remove the connector. Once done, the box was put in mode 7, and filled with 93 octane fuel. Performance in Sport mode, especially 2nd, 3rd gear was very good. 0-60 time still in the 5.9-6.0 second range but the pull in 2nd gear in much higher, and the rpm's hang on longer before shifting. Definitely worth the money

January, 2017: In the quest to bring the 0-60 times down to the 5.0 second range or lower, I contacted Connor at Viva Performance. The goal was to make around 450-500 hp and lb/ft tq. Much thanks to Viva Performance, without them, this forum, and the entire supplier community, putting this together wouldn't have been possible. Purchased the following items:

Do88 Intercooler
      Snabb Air Intake
      Snabb Turbo Air Pipe
      Snabb Engine Cover
      Ferrita downpipe
      Complete Upgraded Turbo with bigger compressor wheel - Viva Performance
      Pressure recirc valve on turbo kit - Viva Performance
      Stage 3 Hilton tune

And from KPAX (Now Elevate): KPAX GT Exhaust for XC60
      And from Tire Rack: H&R lowering Springs

Feb, Install:
      There aren't a ton of reputable performance shops in Northwest Indiana but within 1.5 hours from me is the home of Ligenfelter (Vette/Camero), and Brenspeed (Mustang)

Selected Brenspeed to install all of the parts. First Volvo they worked on, but the guys were awesome. Took them 11 hours to install all of the above parts, and remove the TDI Tuning box. Rob from Hilton tuning was able to load a base tune on remotely, that will be tweaked significantly in the next week or so after data logging. They also installed the intercooler with no issue and were able to relocate my front radar to the bottom of the front bumper grill. Again, these guys are true professionals and I would recommend them in a second. Pretty cool shop and lounge to hang out while they work on your ride.

Initial Reaction:
      Holy $%^#, the Ferrita downpipe with KPAX exhaust is LOUD. The Snabb air intake and turbo air pipe also has a very distinct noise. You can hear the air sucking and the turbo whistle through the air intake. The H&R springs are sweet. Not entirely "slammed" low, but nice.

Still some snags to work out.. On the way home threw a P0420 code due to not having the correct O2 sensor spacer on the rear space on the Ferrita downpipe. The shop said they didn't see a spacer, maybe it fell out of the box, who knows. Connor at Viva Performance like a champ sent me a replacement (will be here tomorrow, YES!)

Also, wife DID NOT like the sound of the Ferrita downpipe and Kpax exhaust. Much too loud. When trying to back the car out of the garage at 5:30 am, it's way too loud in the neighborhood.

I just bought the IPD Exhaust to try (even through it doesn't say it will fit the XC60). According to their website their downpipe and exhaust seem pretty tame like stock, so hopefully this will quiet things down.

To do's:
      Take a lot of pictures and post them
      Remove the Kpax exhaust and install the IPD exhaust - done
      Install the o2 sensor spacer on the rear of the Ferrita down pipe. - done
      Ensure the P0420 code cleared
      Data log a bunch of 3rd gear 2k-redline runs
      Have Rob at Hilton tuning create the best damn tune Stage 3 EVAR.
      Sit back and smile..

Stuff that is for sale:
      TDI Tuning box - pre-tuned for T6 3.0 Polestar base tune
      Kpax GT Exhaust
      Misc stock parts: Stock turbo, stock intercooler

Will post more as things start to happen. It's been a busy week.

Last edited by tunedxc60; 03-04-2017 at 09:48 PM.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons, Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Update...

Got the Kpax exhaust removed and IPD exhaust installed. Took me 4 hours since I had tough time getting the mid pipe and exhaust lined up to fit, but with patience and taking everything off, dry fitting it and drawing a kind with a marker that helped. Sound is good. With the Ferrita DP it achieves that sound I was looking for. Still think the KPAX exhaust is the best standalone cat back but the IPD and Ferrita sound good together. Louder than stock without being over the top. Kpax exhaust with pics is for sale in the classifieds. Also sold the TDI box to a fellow member today. Glad to see it found a good home.

Also got the o2 spaced installed from Viva and cleared the code. Haven't been able to drive the car yet. We'll as if it fixes the issue.

Took some more pics too. Will post soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons, Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great progress! Would the downpipe work with a factory exhaust and is the wife ok with the new sound?

Really excited to follow this build and see how low you can get your 0-60 times!

Quote Originally Posted by tunedxc60 View Post

Sounds like you are trailblazing for the rest of us here in the XC thread, it's great to see an XC being tuned in the same way as some of the guys are in the S & V forums. Will you be putting the car onto a Dyno post hilton tunings modifications?
      2014 XC60 Platinum Package, W/Polestar Optimization, Polestar suspension + Feritta down pipe & Kpax GT6 Exhaust, IPD Sway bar and HD end links, Snabb Intake & K & N drop in and a bunch of other aesthetic if not expensive little goodies.
      2015 BMW 428i Xdrive Cabriolet W/Executive, Driver Assistance, Premium Packages and Dinan power tune.

Quote Originally Posted by AschMan View Post
      Great progress! Would the downpipe work with a factory exhaust and is the wife ok with the new sound?

Really excited to follow this build and see how low you can get your 0-60 times!
      Yes it would. Arguable you would be leaving horsepower on the table but you could. IPD exhaust and Ferrita downpipe sound is wife approved. :-) Will post up a video in the next few days/week.

Last edited by tunedxc60; 03-04-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie5148 View Post
      Sounds like you are trailblazing for the rest of us here in the XC thread, it's great to see an XC being tuned in the same way as some of the guys are in the S & V forums. Will you be putting the car onto a Dyno post hilton tunings modifications?
      Definitely a dyno tune in the future. Not a lot of all wheel drive dynos in my area, so it will mean a 1.5 hour drive. My plan is to do it once I'm happy with the performance and mods. Likely within the next couple months.

You can see the radar that was relocated to the bottom to make way for the huge do88 intercooler. I may try to move it back up. Will need to investigate whether the grill has to be modified further first. Seems to work ok but I've not driven the car much this week to check to see if it's working 100% yet.

The T6 with Polestar optimisation has boost of around 14.5 - 15psi.
      Im very interested to see how you got 18. Not calling you out but just curious.

The Heico e.motion tune on top of the polestar optimization provides 18psi.
      This provides 350hp.

My confusion is how much boost can you force through a k16.

Ill enjoy reading the progress of your build as there arent many out there jeen to push the limits with an xc60.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
      02 XC70 R PROJECT TERRÄNGKÖRNING LANDVAGN
      04 V70R PROJECT LANDBARGE
      11 XC60 R-DESIGN PROJECT HEICO

Using an OBDII reader and Torque app on my phone, I've seen my max boost hit 18psi on my 2012 RD without any mods. It hits that with a VERY brief spike then holds just under 15, which is what I'd expect from the Polestar tune.

I'm not an expert, but I think on all turbo cars when boost builds very quickly, there is going to be a short period when boost goes above the "max" setting before the engine controls kick in and limit it.

Yes, the 18 psi was only briefly and not sustained. Was measured with the Dashcommand app and obd2 port tool via wifi. That was the Polestar only tune before the TDI box.

Great work!I have been following your progress since you first posted about the TDI box.
      Just FYI, the stock T6 with p* tube can do better for 0-60 than 5.9-6s. One test with the racelogic performance box showed the XC60 can finish 0-100 km/h in 5.6s (sport mode, dstc off). The car is a MY12 T6 XC60 with p*tune. the only upgrade is the Conti UHP summer tires.
      http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thre...3735-1.html### (the webpage is in Chinese, but you can check the results shown on the p-box)
      I have also seen several reviews on youtube that reported the R-design T6 XC60 finish 0-60 in 5.7s.

The only question I have is why lower a XC? Is the regular V60 not available in the states? Smaller, lower car making less drag. Presumably cheaper than an XC60 too.

450-500 HP sounds ambitious, mostly concerning whether the gearbox would be able to handle it in the long run. But I'm curious as to what performance it's got by now. Any plans on a dyno run?
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing "
      - CrossingCountries

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyoho View Post
      The only question I have is why lower a XC? Is the regular V60 not available in the states? Smaller, lower car making less drag. Presumably cheaper than an XC60 too.

450-500 HP sounds ambitious, mostly concerning whether the gearbox would be able to handle it in the long run. But I'm curious as to what performance it's got by now. Any plans on a dyno run?
      You lower an XC to reduce / remove the floating feeling when turning / driving above 100kmhr.
      So you can have the same road feeling from a V60 in an XC60.

Still dealing with this nagging P0420 DTC. I thought the rear O2 sensor spacer from Viva would fix the problem, but after clearing the code and driving today, the code is back. I got a 3 day subscription to VIDA today and did some more digging. The more I'm reading I think I really do have a bad front cat (possibly damaged during install of the downpipe).

My two questions to all is:

Do you normally read voltage from the O2 Sensor 1? I'm using the Apple OBD Fusion App and not getting any voltage reading. It might be that the app can't read the sensor correctly, or could just validate that the front o2 sensor is bad.

Would the front O2 sensor require a spacer as well?

VIDA Says the following:

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) information ECM-P042000
      Condition
      Engine Control Module (ECM) checks the efficiency of catalytic converter (bank 1) by switching between rich and lean fuel/air mixture. When the change-over is made, the signal from the rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) is checked and the time taken for the probe to switch.
      The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored if the engine control module (ECM) registers that the rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) switches too quickly and is interpreted as poor catalytic converter efficiency.
      The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) can be diagnosed with the engine at operating temperature, approximately 15 minutes after the engine has first been started if the vehicle is driven (normal road load) at 70-90 km/h for 30-40 seconds.
      Substitute value
      Nothing. Possible source
      Air leak in the exhaust system.
      Damaged front heated oxygen sensor (bank 1). Damaged front catalytic converter (bank 1).
      Fault symptom[s]
      Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) lit.

I bet one go your plugs are fouled. I changed mine out due to receiving that code, No longer get it. Your timing got more aggressive and my bets are on a plug or two.
      Last edited by odiespankers07; 03-05-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Do you recommend the TDI tuning box btw? I want more Powaaa!

Quote Originally Posted by odiespankers07 View Post
      I bet one go your plugs are fouled. I changed mine out due to receiving that code, No longer get it. Your timing got more aggressive and my bets are on a plug or two.
      You're saying spark plugs would cause that? Seems they wouldn't be related?

Quote Originally Posted by odiespankers07 View Post
      Do you recommend the TDI tuning box btw? I want more Powaaa!
      Yes!! Absolutely. Unless you want a lot more power then in case do what I'm doing.

Hopefully your issue is something trivial like an unplugged sensor.
      Last edited by AschMan; 03-06-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Update...

Think I got the problem figured out with the o2 sensors. The good news is that there appears to be be nothing physically wrong with them and that the o2 sensor that Viva sent me for the Ferrita downpipe appears to have worked to keep the code from being set. I had to clear all the codes one more time last night (did it through VIDA) and this morning I data logged for about an hour covering about 50 miles in different driving styles.

Found out that the front o2 sensor on the T6 3L is actually bank 1 sensor 2 - read in voltage from 0-1V fluctuating with throttle and rpm, and the rear o2 sensor is on the PID called "wide range (current probe bank 1)", and is a value that centers around 1.00 and ranges from .74 and 1.24 depending on throttle and rpm. See screenshot below.

Hahaha I will start off with TDI

Yes!! Absolutely. Unless you want a lot more power then in case do what I'm doing.

My plugs were fouled and were dumping fuel into the cat I believe. I got that code as a deficiency in the cat. Once I replaced the plugs, the code hasn't come back in almost two months now.
      You're saying spark plugs would cause that? Seems they wouldn't be related?

Thanks for the fascinating post. My XC60 T6 has Polestar and the Ferrita downpipe. How much more power would I get from just adding the Snabb Air Intake and the Snabb Turbo Air Pipe? A noticeable difference? Would it sound much better or would I need to add the IPD exhaust to change that? And would the IPD exhaust add any more power? Thanks in advance.

You would see performance gains from all of those products. All cat back exhausts will likely add some power. The difference is really personal preference on sound. Some systems have more filling in the mufflers to deaden certain frequencies and quiet the decibel level (Like IPD), and some are pretty much straight through designs with some resonator piping (Kpax). At some point you will need a custom tune to take full advantage of them to advance timing, boost; air, fuel, etc. if you do all those things then you will find that that the turbo will be holding you back and can upgrade the turbo to any number of options like swapping the Polestar turbo or the stage 1 turbo currently available from Viva.

I'd suggest contacting Viva Performance and Hilton Tuning if you want to go down that road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean Racer View Post
      You lower an XC to reduce / remove the floating feeling when turning / driving above 100kmhr.
      I can't help but to feel it would be equivalent to buying a V60 and raising it because it's cheaper than buying a XC60.

Even if you lower an XC60 to the ground clearance of a V60 it'll still be over 5" taller. And it'll produce 40% more drag. So it costs more to buy, costs more to run and it'll cost money to practically turn it into a V60 anyway.

Sorry to be such a buzz-kill but I genuinely wonder why the XC60 is more attractive than a V60, since it's not the first time I see an XC60 lowered and tuned.
      "Just change all 4 tires at the same time when needed and it feels always like a flying carpet"
      "Car was dusty and dirty yet he cleaned it without using any water. It scared me and I am afraid of nothing "
      - CrossingCountries

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyoho View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Ocean Racer View Post
      I can't help but to feel it would be equivalent to buying a V60 and raising it because it's cheaper than buying a XC60.

Even if you lower an XC60 to the ground clearance of a V60 it'll still be over 5" taller. And it'll produce 40% more drag. So it costs more to buy, costs more to run and it'll cost money to practically turn it into a V60 anyway.

Sorry to be such a buzz-kill but I genuinely wonder why the XC60 is more attractive than a V60, since it's not the first time I see an XC60 lowered and tuned.
      Personal preference dude. Get over it.

Thread needs more video sound clips.

Quote Originally Posted by AschMan View Post
      Personal preference dude. Get over it.
      Yup. People like SUVs. Their wives might like SUVs. They might not like wagons. And if they own an SUV, either due to necessity or preference, there's no reason an enthusiast wouldn't want to improve upon it. Just because he wants it to be faster or sportier or look more sleek doesn't mean he should have to trade it in for a Cayman R, even if that is theoretically a more logical starting point for a performance build.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

Hope I got the code 420 cat efficiency code solved. I added a non fouler piece i bought from O'Reily to the Viva Spacer to stack and space out the rear o2 spaced even more . Noticed immediately that it dropped the cat temperature and after 30 miles and two starts the code hasn't reappeared.

I tested the wastegate on the turbo too to check to make sure it was adjusted correctly. The test I performed was to disconnect the TCV and measured the boost. Measured around 7.5psi which is perfect. I got an ARD/IPD tool coming to test it if I suspect any problems, but for now after clearing the cat code the car has adapted better and seems to making a ton of power. Haven't data logged everything yet but did log boost and o2 sensors and ran a 5.5 0-60 which is .5 second better than before.

I saw a note about not enough pics so I'll try to work on that. I've been a working a ton and haven't been able to take many outdoor pictures while it is still sunny out. That will be what happens after the car gets dialed in and tuned. Still have to finish data logging with Hilton to get the final tune loaded.

Been thinking about wheels, and with the H&R springs the car rides much stiffer than the stock springs. If i do bigger wheels I think 19"s will be max. It seems the tire sidewall is the only thing providing me any kind of ride comfort at his point.

Here's a couple quick garage shots

Last edited by tunedxc60; 03-10-2017 at 05:41 PM.

That's a good looking rig! When you do wheels, don't just assume the issue is with sidewall size. Different model tires can have vastly better or worse ride comfort, even in exactly the same size tire size. For example, the Pilot Sport AS3+ tires I just bought to replace my worn out DWS06s in the same 235/40/18 size feel stiffer in some respects than the Contis, yet handle bigger bumps far better. They seem like a much better pairing with my KW V3 coils which were brutal around town paired with the Contis, even though the DWS06 is generally considered a comfortable tire. They might work great on stock suspension but did not pair well with the KWs at the coilovers' recommended damper settings. I think the AS3+ has stiffer sidewalls and less bounce to the tire itself, allowing the dampers to do their job better, which, to me, reads as a more supple ride around town.

Do your homework in terms of tire ride comfort very carefully before pulling the trigger on any wheel and tire combo.
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

Question regarding the TDI-tuning box; is it supplemental to the Polestar R-Design tune, or independent? I ask because I currently have a 3.0T6 without the polestar tune and would rather go to the TDI tuning box than spend money with the dealer to get a polestar tune, then upgrade add in the TDI tuning box.

I am fairly satisfied with the performance thus far, but if more is within reach, i will grab it!
      Current: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD | 2017 Pacifica Limited
      Past: 2008 Saab 9-3 Vector Convertible: Sold 2014 | 2003 Audi A4 1.8TQM: Sold 2010 | 2006 Triumph Daytona 675: Sold 2008

Thanks Bunspeed! Wise advice.

Yoogene, the TDI box is supplemental. They basically have three setups (I think Viva in the US only sells two) for the T6 3L - base T6, Polestar tune/R-Design, and Engineered Polestar.

Wow that TDI tuning box looks nice! I'm surprised it didn't show a decrease in 0-60?
      02 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity ---- for sale
      13 XC60 T6R-Design-Ice White-IPD exhaust-Soon:do88 intercooler
      15 Chrysler 200c ---- Mopar Tech

Quote Originally Posted by BellevilleV70 View Post
      Wow that TDI tuning box looks nice! I'm surprised it didn't show a decrease in 0-60?
      I believe he has said that the torque-limiting features in the factory ECU or transmission are very evident in the lower gears, namely the gears that the XC would be using in a 0-60 sprint, so the power improvement may be negligible in those gears but much stronger in the upper gears with the TDI box. It sounds like the TDI box is an improvement over stock but its full potential may still be limited by elements of the factory fun-limiting electronic nannies. To do away with those completely, you will likely need a more comprehensive tuning solution such as the one from Hilton which reflashes the ECU itself, whereas the TDI box is a standalone unit that supplements the factory ECU and that ECU's factory state of tune. In any case I'm assuming whatever 0-60 measures are being used aren't all that accurate, or might be off by a few tenths, so I wouldn't take their numbers 100% literally. I'd be much more interested to see before and after data measured in the quarter mile at a drag strip. I'm assuming the TDI box would be good for a tenth or three shaved off your ET, and hopefully a couple of mph improvement in trap speed.
      13.1 at 101 mph

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast