TunedXC60 Build Thread - Performance - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Love the mellow tune of the exhaust. Really leaning towards the IPD downpipe and exhaust. Any idea if the downpipe a difficult install?

Glad to hear the O2 sensor is working, must be a ton of flow.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Even thought it comes across as mellow, my wife still looks at me glaringly on cold starts. I'm pretty happy with the result. It probably comes across as more mellow in the video with my Iphone than it sounds in real life.

I think the downpipe - no matter which one is probably a little challenging to install due to limited working space. But like anything with the right amount of determination and time it's definitely doable in the home garage. I decided to pay a shop because in the past I've found jobs like that require niche tools that the experienced mechanics (home mechanics or otherwise) already have. In my case... that would mean about 19 trips to Home Depot and Autozone along the way.

I'm crossing my fingers on the o2 sensor. It's been a challenge to get the right amount of spacer to match the flow. Hopefully others that go with the similar setup as mine will be able to use my notes as a starting point. One thing of note, I think I read the do88 intercooler is a 150 cell catalytic converter, and the IPD is a 200. I'm fairly certain that would mean it would make less flow on the o2 sensor, so it should be straight forward with a Viva spacer, for example, to get the o2 sensor dialed in.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

Update...

Do88 intercooler / adaptive cruise radar issue:
      Confirmed 100% that the XC60 front radar/adaptive cruise bracket will not fit with the Do88 intercooler. The reason is that the XC60 bracket has two pressed in threaded studs that are intended to mount into the metal bar that the bumper clips into on the front of the engine bay. With the thickness of the intercooler in front of the radiator, the bracket is not long enough to reach the stock holes. Also, the bracket has a lower hole that does not line up with the mounting location included with the do88 instructions.

My current plan is to get the S60 / V60 radar bracket and try to use that. I'm almost 100% certain that it will at least fit into the lower support hole, and the S60/V60 bracket top section is meant to mount flat against the metal bracket mentioned above (not below like the XC60). I may be able to find a clip to the hold the top section, or drill out two holes and use stainless hardware to secure it.

Thought this tidbit would help. There wasn't a lot of concrete data available.

See difference here:

XC60
      https://www.volvovillageparts.com/oe...acket-31300283

S60/V60
      http://www.tascaparts.com/volvo/s60/...sensor-bracket
      Last edited by tunedxc60; 04-17-2017 at 10:09 PM.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

Quote Originally Posted by tunedxc60 View Post
      My current plan is to get the S60 / V60 radar bracket and try to use that. I'm almost 100% certain that it will at least fit into the lower support hole, and the S60/V60 bracket top section is meant to mount flat against the metal bracket mentioned above (not below like the XC60). I may be able to find a clip to the hold the top section, or drill out two holes and use stainless hardware to secure it.
      Good work!
      I see your theory but you're basing your assumption that the S/V60 radar unit is the same as the XC60. I'm not sure if it is. But for R&D purposes I damn hope it is !! This would a great resolution to fitting the big do88 FMIC to our cars.
      02 XC70 R PROJECT TERRÄNGKÖRNING LANDVAGN
      04 V70R PROJECT LANDBARGE
      11 XC60 R-DESIGN PROJECT HEICO

Yes, same part number for the radar. I confirmed last night. Crossing my fingers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the updates. Lots of teething issues but you seem motivated, organized, and creative, so I'm sure you will get it sorted and all the legwork will be worth it in the end. That exhaust sounds remarkably good for a "sit and rev" clip, as cars usually sound raspy revving in neutral without any engine load. Great tone, nicely resonated and melodious even in neutral. It must sound glorious and refined out on the road. I hope you can post a pull, even if it means taping your phone to a tree and driving off briskly
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

All hail tunedxc60, first man on the mo.... boost? hehe

Seriously, thanks for your diligence on all this!
      2014 XC60 T6 - P* Tune, K-Pax Exhaust, DO88 FMIC, Ferrita DP, TSW Bathurst w/ Conti DWS06, R-Design Suspension, IPD Rear Sway, Morimoto D2S 4.0 HID Projectors, Skeletonized Airbox, Intake Resonator Delete, Powerflex Bushings, Colder NGK Plugs
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport - IPD Sways/Subframe Inserts/Strut Bar Conversion, Stoptech Rotors
      For Sale: CHEAP! 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Sway Bars / XC60 T6 parts as replaced above

tunedxc60, I didn't really read in detail about your o2 sensor posts, but I assume your trying to fix the codes generated when you don't have a cat. Try using this method http://www.instructables.com/id/P042...imulator-Hack/ I just performed this on my 04 Frontier for both of my rear o2 sensors. It was a quick easy fix as I couldn't get the fouler mod to work.
      Last edited by bhom920; 04-18-2017 at 02:13 PM.
      15 XC60 RD
      -Bloxsport wheel spacers 10mm/25mm
      -Eibach Pro-kit springs

TunedXC60 Build Thread - Performance

New issue:
      Constant clicking from front right side. I think I have it narrowed down to the front right spring mount. The noise is constant when driving, and when I rock the car up and down by pushing on that corner its totally reproducible. Hope to have that sorted out this week.
      Constant clicking/popping from front right area of suspension fixed... The strut shaft and stopper had to be lubricated. Noise is gone..Done by dealer at no cost. Makes me not feel as bad paying $190 for a 4 wheel alignment after that no-cost repair. Also what a refreshing experience taking it to a professional Volvo dealer where they have professional technicians that know what they are doing with 0 amount of runaround. If you are in the Chicago area PM me and I can recommend two good dealers now.

Quote Originally Posted by bhom920 View Post
      tunedxc60, I didn't really read in detail about your o2 sensor posts, but I assume your trying to fix the codes generated when you don't have a cat. Try using this method http://www.instructables.com/id/P042...imulator-Hack/ I just performed this on my 04 Frontier for both of my rear o2 sensors. It was a quick easy fix as I couldn't get the fouler mod to work.
      Thank you! If i continue to have issues I'll look into this. Cross my fingers so far so good.

i just wanted to commend you first on all of all the work and sharing your experience with us !!! i myself have a 2014 r design s60 and so far have done the kpax exhaust and intake next is the downpipe and i/c and then want to get a tune for it i been working with someone that has good knowledge of these cars and his help has been very benifical !!

Awwsome, hope the bracket works!
      02 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity ---- for sale
      13 XC60 T6R-Design-Ice White-IPD exhaust-Soon:do88 intercooler
      15 Chrysler 200c ---- Mopar Tech

Tuned, any updates on your tune, o2 issues or possibly a dyno run? Thanks!

Were you able to get Hilton to shut off the rear O2 sensor CEL code?

I've been very busy at work traveling the last 3 weeks. Here's an update..

The S60/V60 radar bracket won't work as a replacement for fitting the front radar and the do88 intercooler. I was able to modify it, but it is too far in the middle of the grill and doesn't line up perfectly with the front grill cutout and pops up an error message saying it is blocked. I have some ideas on how to possibly get the stock XC60 bracket to work but will
      need some bushings and spacers to make it work. More to come on this...

Here's the two brackets so you can see the difference.

O2 sensor saga:
      Currently using the Viva spacer and two non foulers drilled out as large as possible. All three are stacked together between the downpipe and o2 sensor. Over the last few weeks it's worked quite well, but not perfect. The check engine light came on once and then went off and has been off for the last two weeks. With my ob2 scanner I get the occasional pending lean code which tells me that i have slightly too much spacing still. I'm planning on hitting up Connor at Viva to get another spacer. I think two Viva spacers will do the trick since it will be slightly shorter than my spacer + two non fouler setup. Rob at Hilton did not mention the ability to turn off the rear sensor, but even if he did I would expect it would still give a "not ready" on the sensor and would cause issues for mandatory emissions testing.

Rob does have a 3rd stage 3 tune for me to try. Once I get this loaded I am planning on getting s dyno tune.

On another note, I was able to test out the towing capability while moving some things this weekend. The XC60 towed like a champ. At 60mph was at 1800 rpm and getting about 18mpg. The hitch receiver I used was an adjustable Reese hitch that gave me a 6.25" rise. With the H&R springs I have that gave me the roughly 18" distance from ground to hitch ball that I needed for this Uhaul trailer.

You can see the wiring. Because I don't plan to tow very often I left the stock Volvo 4/7 pin connector in the spare tire area. I don't care for seeing the giant connector. This trailer used the 4 flat connector and I was able to just run it through the hatch. Worked perfectly and the car detected the trailer being connected.

Last edited by tunedxc60; 05-14-2017 at 08:22 PM.

What about cutting up the stock XC bracket, and adding new tabs to mount? Does the unit actually still fit in the stock location (minus the bracket) or is it too thick? I'm gonna have to look closer to mine at some point.
      02 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity ---- for sale
      13 XC60 T6R-Design-Ice White-IPD exhaust-Soon:do88 intercooler
      15 Chrysler 200c ---- Mopar Tech

The stock bracket front bolt will actually mount into the tapped hole (that is otherwise unused) on the front of the do88 intercooler. The stock XC60 bracket then has a 90 turn on top and the flat piece is made to rest horizontally on top of the radiator and two bolts slip through the top of the bumper cover.

My plan is to use the front tapped hole on the do88 intercooler with a bushing going in between the bracket the intercooler to keep the proper adjustment distance (otherwise you can keep screwing it tighter and push the bracket out of alignment), then for the top mount my tentative plan is take some rubber pads and sandwich it with double sided mounting tape on each end to mount to the top of the intercooler and bracket. Essentially the contact points will be the front tapped screw hole, and double sided tape on top of the intercooler with the pads basically acting as filler to fit the gap between the bracket and the intercooler. The holes won't line up with the bracket and the top of the bumper because the the intercooler pushes the bracket too far forward, and the holes are more rearward - essentially the flat part of the bracket is too short.

If I had access to a CNC waterjet machine or even some decent metal and a metal break I could probably make a custom bracket myself, but I think my idea will work. I just need time...

Good info mate!
      Apologies if you've been asked this to death, but have you noticed much of a difference with the Do88 FMIC since installing it?

It's hard for me to determine what made the most difference because all of these parts were installed at the same time. Because I'm running higher boost than stock, 20+ psi, and have increased both the air flow and exhaust flow, I think it only makes sense to keep things cooler.

Finally recorded a sub 5.5 0-60. Ran 5.19 0-60 on a cold start, esc on, no rev - just mash the gas in sport mode from a stop, measured using the obd fusion app connected via wifi. Every variation of launching - esc on/off, brake torque to 2k yielded 5.65-6.15 0-60's.

Last edited by tunedxc60; 05-23-2017 at 08:54 AM.

Whats safety features can we disable and how?

ESC can be disabled through the My Car menu through Sensus. By default the option is On (box unchecked) and you can select the Disable ESC (box checked). For a 0-60 launch leaving ESC on seemed to actually help.

Very interesting that you were faster with traction control on, not as if these cars are doing any smoky burnouts on dry pavement?? Can't believe you are not in the 4's yet with your mods!

I agree. I don't know what the deal is. The car feels fast, but just doesn't launch. I can't wait to get it on a dyno and see what it does.

I agree. I don't know what the deal is. The car feels fast, but just doesn't launch. I can't wait to get it on a dyno and see what it does.
      +1
      Once the car spools up its hammers but totally agree - these cars launch worse than a North Korean missile!

Finally recorded a sub 5.5 0-60. Ran 5.19 0-60 on a cold start, esc on, no rev - just mash the gas in sport mode from a stop, measured using the obd fusion app connected via wifi. Every variation of launching - esc on/off, brake torque to 2k yielded 5.65-6.15 0-60's.

Tuned, i'm curious, from a cold start, you just went for a WOT run? I'm sure this isn't your first rodeo, but i've always been warned to allow the oil to run to operating temp before mashing on the gas as it could cause problems for the turbo since the oil may not be viscous enough. Unless you're planning on cooking the turbo, at which point, UPGRADE!!!!
      Current: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD | 2017 Pacifica Limited
      Past: 2008 Saab 9-3 Vector Convertible: Sold 2014 | 2003 Audi A4 1.8TQM: Sold 2010 | 2006 Triumph Daytona 675: Sold 2008

When I wrote cold start I mean 5 minutes or so after start - adequate time for warm up but no time for heat soaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean Racer View Post
      these cars launch worse than a North Korean missile!
      Very topical

When I wrote cold start I mean 5 minutes or so after start - adequate time for warm up but no time for heat soaking.
      This actually does make a HUGE difference - hence the necessity for a do88 FMIC upgrade.

I did several runs on consecutive afternoons on the same stretch of road with the only difference being the second day the car was hotter.
      Day 1 run did 5.05 sec 0-100kmhr (cold start) followed by 5.9 down further up the road.
      Day 2 runs were in the 6.0 - 6.2 sec range. All with heat soak.
      Sport mode, stall to 1800rpm dump brake. It takes a good second for the car to launch after dumping the brake.

The lag at launch is so frustrating, and absolutely saps performance. I don't think it's turbo lag per se, but some ECU intervention presumably intended to reduce shock to the drivetrain. If you're still experiencing it with the Hilton tune, perhaps they haven't found or modified whatever bit of code handles launch condition mapping, even if the tune makes nore power once you're under way. At the drag strip it's easy to confirm that this delay slows our cars down, and is very hard to override. If you look at the 60ft times, most awd cars should get off the line substantially quicker than a 2wd car on street tires, and yet, even when brake torquing, or not brake torquing, it doesn't seem to matter much and I would either cut a 2.0 or 2.1 60ft time in my S60 T6 with the Polestar tune. That's mediocre at this level of power and traction. I had been able to do 2.1 60ft times in my old Mustang GT (rwd on crap tires), a 1998 Neon R/T (fwd on 205/50/14s with like 150whp), and my fwd 2008 GTI with about 250whp at the time, on all seasons. I was able to get a 1.9 60ft time in my awd Stage 1 Saabaru 92x Aero, which also ran a much slower 14.5 quarter mile, so traction was all it needed to leave the line hard even though its lack of power showed in the mediocre ET and low trap speed.

My S60 has more power and far more traction than all of those cars, and yet the quickest it has run launching in S is 13.2, after a very pronounced pause at the brake release leaving the line. It leaves the line tremendously quicker when you launch in 2nd using the workaround that allows you to build boost in 2, leave the line in 2, and not downshift back into 1 by avoiding depressing the throttle all the way until you reach higher rpms in 2nd gear. Launching that way made my car cut a 1.8 60ft time, on to a 13.1 quarter, with no pause at the launch! But that's not a sustainable approach as I grenaded my transmission on the next run. If you could build boost at the line in first gear, or at least leave just a little harder than you currently can, you'd have the ratio advantage of the first gear launch, too, instead of starting in 2nd with a mighty shock to the higher gear. My S60 would have run a 12.9 by now, and I probably wouldn't be on my second transmission.
      Last edited by Bunnspeed; 05-24-2017 at 08:06 PM.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

Just proves we have the wrong car for the drags

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hmm interesting. Try this for launching autos. Once you're off the line, double tap the gas to see if it can disengage the brake quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2008 Passion Red C30 6 Speed M/T
      V1 with Preferred, Climate Package and Dynaudio.
      Added: R Design Spoiler+Steering Wheel+Knob, K&N Air Filter Replacement, EuroSport Tuning Strut Bar, Borla CBE, Vibratechnics Rear Engine Mount, Forge Recirculation Valve, IPD Skidplate, KW V3

Have we determined what exactly in the transmission is not able to take the added torque/stress? Is is the valve body, input shaft, output shaft, etc?

Seems like we've been dancing around the "its the transmission" issue for some time, but no perceived progress on actually addressing the core issue, only attempts to work around/trick/reprogram.

I know swapping out interior bits inside the transmission won't be cheap, but seems like without that, we're all just one hard launch away from tragedy.
      2014 XC60 T6 - P* Tune, K-Pax Exhaust, DO88 FMIC, Ferrita DP, TSW Bathurst w/ Conti DWS06, R-Design Suspension, IPD Rear Sway, Morimoto D2S 4.0 HID Projectors, Skeletonized Airbox, Intake Resonator Delete, Powerflex Bushings, Colder NGK Plugs
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport - IPD Sways/Subframe Inserts/Strut Bar Conversion, Stoptech Rotors
      For Sale: CHEAP! 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Sway Bars / XC60 T6 parts as replaced above

Finally broke into the 4's for 0-60 times. Ran a 4.90 0-60 on a fresh warmup with no heat soak. This was last week on Hilton's latest revision for the stage 3 tune. Based on the positive results Hilton has another tune ready to go for me that should improve things even more. More to come.

Finally broke into the 4's for 0-60 times. Ran a 4.90 0-60 on a fresh warmup with no heat soak. This was last week on Hilton's latest revision for the stage 3 tune. Based on the positive results Hilton has another tune ready to go for me that should improve things even more. More to come.
      Nice!!
      That Viva hybrid turbo only work with the Hilton tune?

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast