TunedXC60 Build Thread - Performance - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      To be clear I have the stage 3 Hilton tune, not TDI box any more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You ran an estimated 5.5sec 0-60 with a Hilton s3 tune?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
      02 XC70 R PROJECT TERRÄNGKÖRNING LANDVAGN
      04 V70R PROJECT LANDBARGE
      11 XC60 R-DESIGN PROJECT HEICO

TunedXC60 Build Thread - Performance

Yes, but not fully tuned yet. With the TDI box was running 5.9, 6.0. What kind of range are you running with Heico? How many PSI of boost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by tunedxc60; 03-11-2017 at 07:38 AM.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Also, did you get the Hilton tune with or without the available torque limiting features which you can opt to keep or remove? That could hold back your 0-60 times even if it pulls much harder than stock in the upper gears.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

Ordered with the torque limiting removed, but I'll reserve judgement until the final tune is loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by tunedxc60 View Post
      Yes, but not fully tuned yet. With the TDI box was running 5.9, 6.0. What kind of range are you running with Heico? How many PSI of boost?
      I recorded a run in Sport mode and got 5.4secs. Same as my old V70R. But the XC feels like it pulls MUCH harder.
      Heico e.motion tune is 18psi.
      Thats without performance downpipe & exhaust

Last edited by Ocean Racer; 03-11-2017 at 07:13 PM.

I'm interested in adding the Snabb intake to my R-Design. Can you describe it in a bit more detail, since you've installed it? Does it alone make the vehicle sounds more gutsy? Do you notice more power with it? Does it have a turbo hissing sound with each great?
      Thx

*...each gear (auto correct)

you will likely hear more turbo spool / blow-off noise if you get an open air filter like the Snabb. It won't net you much in terms of performance, as it's more of an aural mod than anything else. Most "Cold Air Intakes" will do the same, unless it routes to an area in the engine bay where there is much less ambient heat and it can reach cooler air from outside.
      Current: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD | 2017 Pacifica Limited
      Past: 2008 Saab 9-3 Vector Convertible: Sold 2014 | 2003 Audi A4 1.8TQM: Sold 2010 | 2006 Triumph Daytona 675: Sold 2008

Yikes...$1200 from Snabb for a better sound only? Worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder999 View Post
      Yikes...$1200 from Snabb for a better sound only? Worth it?
      sent you a PM
      Past: 2008 Saab 9-3 Vector Convertible: Sold 2014 | 2003 Audi A4 1.8TQM: Sold 2010 | 2006 Triumph Daytona 675: Sold 2008

The whistle sound from the Snabb air filter and turbo air pipe is very noticeable. It is obvious every time you push the gas. It reminds you the car is turbocharged.

Last edited by tunedxc60; 03-19-2017 at 01:04 AM.

Update...

Got the Kpax exhaust removed and IPD exhaust installed. Took me 4 hours since I had tough time getting the mid pipe and exhaust lined up to fit, but with patience and taking everything off, dry fitting it and drawing a kind with a marker that helped. Sound is good. With the Ferrita DP it achieves that sound I was looking for. Still think the KPAX exhaust is the best standalone cat back but the IPD and Ferrita sound good together. Louder than stock without being over the top. Kpax exhaust with pics is for sale in the classifieds. Also sold the TDI box to a fellow member today. Glad to see it found a good home.

Also got the o2 spaced installed from Viva and cleared the code. Haven't been able to drive the car yet. We'll as if it fixes the issue.

Took some more pics too. Will post soon.

What model IPD exhaust did you order? What issues with fitting did you have? I like the sound of their system,and it seems reasonably quiet. I'm leaving stock downpipe I think
      02 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity ---- for sale
      13 XC60 T6R-Design-Ice White-IPD exhaust-Soon:do88 intercooler
      15 Chrysler 200c ---- Mopar Tech

IPD 125426

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/1208...ort-exhaust-t6

The exhaust installed fine. The only change is to not install the exhaust tips that come with it unless you have the R Design rear valence. I asked IPD to update their website to show that this fits the XC60 but it doesn't look like they did yet. It fits fine - no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      I believe he has said that the torque-limiting features in the factory ECU or transmission are very evident in the lower gears, namely the gears that the XC would be using in a 0-60 sprint, so the power improvement may be negligible in those gears but much stronger in the upper gears with the TDI box. It sounds like the TDI box is an improvement over stock but its full potential may still be limited by elements of the factory fun-limiting electronic nannies. To do away with those completely, you will likely need a more comprehensive tuning solution such as the one from Hilton which reflashes the ECU itself, whereas the TDI box is a standalone unit that supplements the factory ECU and that ECU's factory state of tune. In any case I'm assuming whatever 0-60 measures are being used aren't all that accurate, or might be off by a few tenths, so I wouldn't take their numbers 100% literally. I'd be much more interested to see before and after data measured in the quarter mile at a drag strip. I'm assuming the TDI box would be good for a tenth or three shaved off your ET, and hopefully a couple of mph improvement in trap speed.
      Exactly. 100% what I meant. If you could remove the 1st gear gear torque limiting and have the TDI box, you would see much better 0-60 times. This is one of the main reasons I realized it was time to go with a proper tune from Hilton. The Hilton tune can remap all of the parameters because it is a full reprogram of the ECM, and not just fooling the sensors in order for the car to make more boost at low rpm's, and to hold on to rpm's before shifting.

Update:

I tried using the non fouler's but now I think I stifled the rear o2 sensor too much and am getting lean codes (not really lean, but lack of gasses to the rear o2).

After recommendation I checked out the 42 Draft Design spacers, and they were not available at the moment so I looked for other alternatives. I found this Vibrant Performance style o2 spacer on Amazon. I'll install them today, and see how it goes. The package comes with 3 different barrels that can be inserted to get the optimum flow through the spacer. I'm finding that the Volvo rear o2 sensor is pretty picky on what it is looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[QUOTE=tunedxc60;5114929]Update:

I tried using the non fouler's but now I think I stifled the rear o2 sensor too much and am getting lean codes (not really lean, but lack of gasses to the rear o2).

After recommendation I checked out the 42 Draft Design spacers, and they were not available at the moment so I looked for other alternatives. I found this Vibrant Performance style o2 spacer on Amazon. I'll install them today, and see how it goes. The package comes with 3 different barrels that can be inserted to get the optimum flow through the spacer. I'm finding that the Volvo rear o2 sensor is pretty picky on what it is looking for.

[IMG]http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p783/tunedmk5/Mobile%20Uploads/C7D885ED

That's a decent looking piece, hope it works
      02 V70 2.4T - EST exhaust/Elbrus 18x8s/Conti DW/Eibach/Koni FSD/Polk Audio/Boston Acoustics/Infinity ---- for sale

[QUOTE=tunedxc60;5114665]IPD 125426

[url]https://www.ipdusa.com/products/12083/125426

Ah ok....tips to big to fit normal rear valence? Hows it sounds? Not much droning? Thanks!

How this solves your issues, must be frustrating to spend all this money and things are not working and not much support to help.

Thanks for forging new ground for all of us!

Can the dealer detect that you have a remapped ECU?

I was looking into Heico tuner, but with all the little issues like dead battery happening every few months and engine burning crazy oil, i am not sure if I should mess with warranty.
      2015 XC60 R-Design
      2005 G35 -modified

Quote Originally Posted by LVE2DRV View Post
      Can the dealer detect that you have a remapped ECU?

I was looking into Heico tuner, but with all the little issues like dead battery happening every few months and engine burning crazy oil, i am not sure if I should mess with warranty.
      Heico e.motion wont affect warranty.
      Besides, why are you worrying about warranty with all the issues you're having. Get them fixed if you still have warranty!

I apologize for being ignorant but this is a T6 at the end of it's life cycle...why are you spending all of this money to gain maybe MAYBE 5% over PolStar ****ty performance boost?

yeah yeah hate me but honestly they squeezed all the juice out of T6 I mean unless you run liquid oxygen cooled intake I don't see a reason why one would want to spend the money to gain the 5% that they could not use or not anyhow on the US highways...unless you live in AZ, Nevada or NM area.

Gains are around 30% higher than Polstsar and a little more than 30% on torque.

Last edited by tunedxc60; 03-29-2017 at 07:17 AM.

Gains are around 30% higher than Polstsar and a little more than 30% on torque.

you can also get a decent bump if you run water/meth injection as well. Bump timing and fuel and you'll be making some good numbers!

I, for one, am stoked for this build. Pioneering is never easy, but always makes it fun to share the experience!

Any update on the CEL and tune?

Update:

O2 Sensor Issue Saga:

I took the vibrant performance sweep 90 o2 spacer off. Even without the barrel inserts, I wasn't getting enough gas flow to the rear o2 sensor and kept throwing lean codes. As a test I put just the o2 sensor back on, and was getting inefficiency codes (which I expected). Then I worked back up to the Viva spacer and still was getting inefficiency codes (ok, good to know). So I knew I needed to be somewhere in between the flow rate of the Viva spacer and the Vibrant 90 degree spacer. So I stacked the non fouler back on top of the Viva spacer, but this time I drilled out the non fouler to about 1/2"-3/4" to allow more flow. So far so good, after 175 miles no issues..

It looks like this now:

Hilton Tune:
      Received the 1st revision to the Stage 3 tune from Rob. Mid range performance is much better, and high end remains awesome. Boost is around 18-22 psi at full throttle, with spikes in the 30-32 psi range. Low end performance is good, but no where near mid and high. Took a few more runs of data logging, and hope Rob can work some more magic on the low end. I feel like the TDI Tuning box with the Polestar tune had more grunt in the 1-3k rpm range. I know there's more capability to tune there. 0-60 times still not in the low 5's, high 4's yet, (measured 5.9-6.5, with wet conditions).

Here a few of the data logs in case anyone is curious! (I'd also be interested to see yours...Connor, etc...)

Original stage 3 version:
      wide open runs marked in yellow:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B73...ew?usp=sharing

1st Revision stage 3:
      wide open runs marked in yellow / top performance numbers were lower due to me trying to keep the peddle in 3rd gear from kicking down to 2nd:

Outstanding Nagging Issue:
      With the radar mounted low, I think it's off just enough to pick up vehicles in the side lane, and this throws off the cruise control. Very annoying. I'm going to try to take the front bumper off and see if I can fit the radar back in the stock location. If I can't, then I'll leave it down low, but try to recalibrate the radar unit through VIDA (I saw some options there, but not sure what it can do).
      Getting some rattling from under the passenger side foot well. I think it's this heat flexible heat shield. When I looked at it, I'm not sure where it was supposed to go. It's currently around the air hose coming off the bottom of turbo going to the intercooler. I'm not sure if this part of the hose assembly, or if the shop that did the install took this off the stock DP. Anyway, my plan is to cut it off. It doesn't seem to be doing much shielding anyway.

Can anyone identify this shield?

When I looked under the turbo, I noticed some seepage coming from what I think is the gasket on the transmission housing. I'll keep an eye on this. My concern is that this may be premature transmission wear. I'll keep an eye on the transition fluid level, and see keep the engine bottom skid plate off and check it weekly.

The seam is on the gasket where you see it printed 752.

4. With the Snabb turbo air hose, the TCV - turbo control valve is relocated with an included bracket. The TCV doesn't sit tight on the bracket, and causes some movement and chatter. I wedged some electrical tape in there and it seems to be holding. Snabb should consider making the metal thicker to get the TCV to sit down tighter on the bracket.

Other than that, the thing vehicle is a dream to drive!

As info, I scanned all of the instructions for the Snabb Air Intake, and Turbo Pipe kit, Viva pCRV, and found the Do88 instructions. I was tired of keeping the printed copies that were included. For reference here are the links - currently on my Google drive for now unless somewhere can post better links!

Last edited by tunedxc60; 04-08-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Promising update, hope you can get the low end power back!

I have been considering the intake charge pipe but that install looks like a PITA!

Interesting on the radar unit...... Do you have any pics? I want to put one of these on, but not if its going to mess up the cruise. Hopefully can get it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by BellevilleV70 View Post
      Interesting on the radar unit...... Do you have any pics? I want to put one of these on, but not if its going to mess up the cruise. Hopefully can get it figured out.
      This radar is the factory option distance sensor - not a radar detector. When I had the shop install the do88 intercooler they moved it to the lower grill but the performance of it was picking up random vehicles in adjacent lanes. Not sure if it needed to be recalibrated only, but I am in the process of moving it back to the stock location. Of course the shop tossed the bracket and misc hardware for it so I've got those parts in order. Will take pics when I'm done.

This radar is the factory option distance sensor - not a radar detector. When I had the shop install the do88 intercooler they moved it to the lower grill but the performance of it was picking up random vehicles in adjacent lanes. Not sure if it needed to be recalibrated only, but I am in the process of moving it back to the stock location. Of course the shop tossed the bracket and misc hardware for it so I've got those parts in order. Will take pics when I'm done.

Ya i know what it is........I'm just surprised it works at all moved. On the Chrysler stuff( I'm a dealer tech) its VERY sensitive to aiming.I thought from reading before, it was a control box being moved not the actual radar unit itself I really hope it can be made to work in the stock location somehow as I really want to install one of these. Thanks

I have the same radar cruise fitted.
      The stock setting still picks up cars in adjacent lanes along curved roads. Somewhat annoying but the overall benefits massively outweigh these random occurrences.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean Racer View Post
      I have the same radar cruise fitted.
      The stock setting still picks up cars in adjacent lanes along curved roads. Somewhat annoying but the overall benefits massively outweigh these random occurrences.
      Yes it really is great, I REALLY wish I would have ordered it on my 200, Sooo nice on a long drive, the roads are so busy up here with transports, that are speed limited.

Update:

A.... Getting some rattling from under the passenger side foot well. I think it's this heat flexible heat shield. When I looked at it, I'm not sure where it was supposed to go. It's currently around the air hose coming off the bottom of turbo going to the intercooler. I'm not sure if this part of the hose assembly, or if the shop that did the install took this off the stock DP. Anyway, my plan is to cut it off. It doesn't seem to be doing much shielding anyway.

Can anyone identify this shield?

B
      When I looked under the turbo, I noticed some seepage coming from what I think is the gasket on the transmission housing. I'll keep an eye on this. My concern is that this may be premature transmission wear. I'll keep an eye on the transition fluid level, and see keep the engine bottom skid plate off and check it weekly.

The seam is on the gasket where you see it printed 752.

Other than that, the thing vehicle is a dream to drive!
      The flexible shield you pictured is supposed to be on the charge hose where it comes closes to the block (this may be where it bends upward). I assure you, that is not what is rattling. It's made of thin lightweight crush-able material (sort of like foil). It likely wouldn't rattle if it were mounted on a metal pipe. It definitely won't while mounted on a rubber hose. You can get rid of it if you'd like. It's almost useless.

Your rattling is elsewhere. It could be the heat shield between the turbo and the motor / air intake. Perhaps one bolt was left off.
      It could also be your turbo heat shield. I took mine off after the downpipe install. It's not needed, and it makes future access of that area difficult. The shield may be rubbing against the turbo. And finally, it could be yet another heat shield located above the differential unit (between differential and turbo). This one is impossible to take off unless the downpipe is removed. It's another annoying shield in the area.

Would you like to know what I did with my shields?

The sippage on the transmission. Sigh! I want to believe that is normal. By normal, I don't mean that it should occur, but rather, that is common. I noticed the same thing from when my vehicle was new. I too pushed my car hard before the turbo and D/P and saw the same thing. So who knows? Maybe if you drive like an old lady, this won't happen. (???)

Glad to hear about your driving experience. At least you did all this when your vehicle is/was new. My regret was not starting investing more research time years ago. I would have blown minds away.
      Last edited by Sir Harmony; 04-14-2017 at 10:23 AM.
      I dislike wagons, and don't particularly care for Volvo's in general. I'm not a fan of any one brand.

Currently trying to pilot the fastest P3 S60.

Thanks for the feedback SH. I think I've got the noise narrowed down something in the front right suspension. I took the wheel off and if I put both of my hands on the spring and rotate slightly it makes the clicking noise. I'm thinking something to do with the spring seat. Everything appears to be tight.
      I had H&R lowering springs installed by the shop but never did any adjustments yet. For something this annoying I may break down and take it to the shop and have them figure it out when they do an alignment. I'm not a suspension expert by any means.

Update:

Installed a trailer Hitch....
      Drawtite model from E-trailer, but instead of using the universal kit from E-trailer I installed the Volvo trailer wiring and coded it with DICE and VIDA at home (see other thread on that..). I decided to leave the wiring in the spare tire wheel well and will just run the wiring out the back hatch for the times I will tow (occasional utility trailer, wave runner, travel trailer maybe). I'll mostly use this for our Yakima bike rack so trailer wiring won't really be necessary. I went with the Volvo wiring and a Prodigy RF brake controller so that I have the capability of trailer brakes should I ever need them.. Installing the hitch was pretty easy except I ended up taking the back bumper off because I dropped one of the bolts into the frame while installing. If I had to install this again I would have just removed the back bumper anyway - it was easy. I left the wiring attached while I removed the bumper and just left the bumper to the side. Worked fine. Upon installing the hitch my IPD exhaust was riding right on the tail pipes with no clearance (bummer...). I must have messed with this for a week trying to get it right. I even took it to two shops and they wouldn't even touch it.. Ended up fixing it myself by bending the exhaust hangers upward, and installing longer rubber mounts from Amazon. Problem solved, no rattling exhaust, totally functional.

Here's the hangers I used:

Pics attached:

Update on the O2 Sensor Saga:
      Currently I have two Non fouler, plus the Viva spacer stacked all together. Been running for a week with no issues.Here's the size difference between the Viva spacer and the setup I have now. I could have probably achieved the same thing by stacking two Viva spacers together.

No new tunes from Hilton recently. I'm still waiting on a new draft to pull more low end power.

New issue:
      Constant clicking from front right side. I think I have it narrowed down to the front right spring mount. The noise is constant when driving, and when I rock the car up and down by pushing on that corner its totally reproducible. Hope to have that sorted out this week.

I did my best to make an exhaust video while I had the vehicle in the garage today. The car is running, and warm in this shot. I'm not sure how to upload videos so I'll post the link to my Google Drive:

Last edited by tunedxc60; 04-16-2017 at 02:39 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast