SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

PLEASE HELP. Spare wheel, Tempa spare - Have Questions But cant find Answers

15K views 65 replies 13 participants last post by  Little_Nasty 
#1 · (Edited)
The long story short. I was driving and got a large nail in my tire. Tire was a goner. And because I didn't have the spare kit, the ordeal was a pain in the ass since it happened at night. So now, I want to invest in the spare kit but I need your help.

My Car is a 2015.5 Volvo S60 with Convenience Package, BLIS, and Heated Seats.

Link to Kit: http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-ca/S60(11-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-491985/2016

1. Does Anyone own this kit? What are your thoughts regarding the kit? Have you ever used it before?

2. I looked online and found where tempa spare is NOT compatible with 2017 Volvo S60's that have the convenience package (brochure "A") but No mention of whether the same problem exists in the 2015.5s brochure (below "B") for cars that have the convenience package

CONVENIENCE PACKAGE
(Standard on R-Design/Optional on Inscription)
• Keyless Entry and Start
• HomeLink® integrated garage
door opener
• Grocery bag holder
(Not available with tempa spare)
• Power retractable exterior mirrors

A. https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwje-ueLnr3SAhWG3iwKHbQiApcQFghJMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fassets.volvocars.com%2Fus%2F~%2Fmedia%2Fus%2Fdownloads%2Fbrochures%2F2017%2Fvolvo-2017-s60-brochure-v2.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFmD7hU-_fXsL_Vp79sWZLKy-aUKQ&bvm=bv.148747831,d.bGg&cad=rja
B. https://carmanuals2.com/d/37003

3. http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-ca/S60(11-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-491985/2016

Parts 31317980 and 31399083 seem to be the insert for the tire and the kit (tire). Is this correct?

4. Has anyone bought this for their 2015.5? If so where from?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
2. I looked online and found where tempa spare is NOT compatible with 2017 Volvo S60's that have the convenience package (brochure "A") but No mention of whether the same problem exists in the 2015.5s brochure (below "B") for cars that have the convenience package

CONVENIENCE PACKAGE
(Standard on R-Design/Optional on Inscription)
• Keyless Entry and Start
• HomeLink® integrated garage
door opener
• Grocery bag holder
(Not available with tempa spare)
• Power retractable exterior mirrors
The Grocery bag Holder is not available with the tempa spare...

I took the Spare bag route:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...nsert-Wrench-and-a-Bag-2014-S60-R-Design-Pics

The spare is 31317980 and the raised floor is 31399083
(if you want the raised floor solution)

Do you have a jack?
See this for 31399083 install instructions: http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-tr/S60(11-)/InstallationInstruction/Document/VCC-467402-1/2012

EDIT: spare part number corrected

#5 ·
The Grocery bag Holder is not available with the tempa spare...

I took the Spare bag route:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...nsert-Wrench-and-a-Bag-2014-S60-R-Design-Pics

The spare is 31399083 and the raised floor is 31399083
(if you want the raised floor solution)

Do you have a jack?
See this for 31399083 install instructions: http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-tr/S60(11-)/InstallationInstruction/Document/VCC-467402-1/2012
So is your spare in a bag a full sized tire or a Volvo Spare + Bag Kit?

So you are positive then that the 2015.5 with Grocery Bag Holder is not compatible with the tempa spare insert? Strange the 2017 specifically mentions the issue but not the 2015.5 manual.

My car came with the repair kit. It didn't come with a spare.

#3 · (Edited)
We also went with the spare-in-a-bag route and keep it lashed down on top of the grocery bag holder floor. Overall cargo volume is diminished but I use the nooks and crannies around the tire to hold cargo like potted plants, grocery bags and such. Still plenty of room to easily carry 8 dozen doughnuts (for church) in two bags on top of the spare. We have had one nail in a tire on the S60 and used the spare already so I prefer carrying a spare.

This is the tempa spare in a bag not the full size spare.

#4 ·
We also went with the spare-in-a-bag route and keep it lashed down on top of the grocery bag holder floor. Overall cargo volume is diminished but I use the nooks and crannies around the tire to hold cargo like potted plants, grocery bags and such. Still plenty of room to easily carry 8 dozen doughnuts (for church) in two bags on top of the spare. We have had one nail in a tire on the S60 and used the spare already so I prefer carrying a spare.
So did you buy a tire bag and stick a full sizied tire in the bag or are you using a Volvo Spare + Bag?

Will the Grocery Bag Holder not work with a Tempa Spare insert?

#18 ·
Just get the Temp Spare with out the foam insert. Foam eats up the cu ft. quickly. I have mine sitting on my weather tech liner and pushed to onside of the trunk. Peace of mind in one spare tire.

#19 · (Edited)
Foam eats up the cu ft. quickly.
Actually it doesn't (fake news :p). If you've ever compared both options (we have had both, have you?), the box insert allows a more practical (read flat) load surface flush with the bottom lip of the trunk opening. Though it does shave some volume away from stock, compared to the volume grab and awkward remaining load space caused by the spare-in-a-bag sitting on top of the stock floor, it's more practical, secure and cleaner.

Not a straight-on view, so perhaps hard to tell from this pic, but the tempa spare bag option actually is taller than the box insert, and leaves awkward limited load space around it when attached correctly/securely.

#31 ·
ok, just for clarification... Does the foam insert, etc require a new "floor" or do you use the same one? I was looking at mine today and the back has a little lip, I'm not sure that will clear the back of the seat once it's raised up a few inches.

For what it's worth, my roommate uses a wheelchair so the foam and raised floor is my only option, unless I want a spare in the backseat... so yes... this sucks!

#32 ·
ok, just for clarification... Does the foam insert, etc require a new "floor" or do you use the same one? I was looking at mine today and the back has a little lip, I'm not sure that will clear the back of the seat once it's raised up a few inches.

For what it's worth, my roommate uses a wheelchair so the foam and raised floor is my only option, unless I want a spare in the backseat... so yes... this sucks!
Here's what I've gathered. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

1. Spare in a Bag monopolizes whole trunk and renders Grocery Bag Insert inaccessible.
2. Tempa Spare + insert is incompatible with Grocery Bag Holder. So you need a new cover. Someone said the Insert comes with a Flat Cover?
I'm going to go to my local Volvo to order the Tempa Spare + Insert. I have had 2 flat tires in 9 months. One being this past week when
the tire was a goner late at night. Therefore, I concede. Volvo, your Engineers are Bone-Headed for NOT making room for a spare
where the Repair Kit Goes. And even More Boneheaded for not making the Spare compatible with the Grocery Bag Holder Insert.

So I am a proud owner of a Volvo... Even after all its quirks and boneheaded ideas confound me to no end.

#34 ·
When we were shopping to replace our Saabs, we looked at many different brands. The Cadillacs (where we bought our Saabs) all had fix-a-flat type inflators and no spare. Audis all seemed to have a spare, and the Bemers had run flats. We were a little disappointed that the S60 had no spare but it wasn't a deal breaker. My V60CC has a spare for which I am thankful.

#35 · (Edited)
I bought the spare separately, and a bag from Bavarian Auto Sport. The bag's straps connect with carabiners (I bought better ones) to the tie-downs in the trunk. I put the spare in only when I'm going to be a couple of hours from home. The trunk is small enough without losing - all the time - about 1/4 of the depth due to the insert. I do wish they had designed the car to always fit a spare without losing so much trunk space, but this is not uncommon these days, unfortunately.

I have a separate and easily removable cargo holder for grocery bags and other stuf, made by Rola. It's great.

#36 ·
A. Poor Design. We all agree. Instead of making the floor under the trunk recessed for a spare, Volvo screwed us all by putting a fix a flat kit there. So you have to buy the insert and give up other ameneties.

B. I like that holder you have. I'm going to buy the spare insert and tire tomorrow. Had a hiccup today. I would like to add that bag in place of my missing grocery bag holder. Where did you purchase and how much?

Thanks

#37 ·
I have a similar bag for storing miscellaneous items. I got it at sams club for about $10-20. It's great because it has Velcro on the bottom and you can open just 1 or all 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#38 ·
I have a similar bag for storing miscellaneous items. I got it at sams club for about $10-20. It's great because it has Velcro on the bottom and you can open just 1 or all 3.

Oh, and I can collapse it for wheelchair space...

#42 ·
#44 ·
I paid $428 with tax at my local dealer.

I found it for $404 online at VolvoPartsCounter but these guy seem somewhat shady. I called the dealership after pricing out the components online. ~360 for parts and $44 to ship. When I called, the guy said we're a Volvo Dealership so all parts are new. Wonderful. I'm looking to order this part can I do it over the phone or online? Guy says online, but let me inform you that the $44 dollar shipping for tempa spare + insert is going to be $110 as the items are bulky. Our prices for shipping online aren't accurate and we reserve the right to cancel an order or to inform customer if shipping is more than quoted.

Wasn't worth the hassle over $20 bucks. I looked all over and after factoring in shipping, no place came close to local dealership. Pulled the trigger and should be here in 4 to 5 days. Will invest in a bag holder to compensate for loss of Grovery Bag insert.

#47 ·
Yes, most of the V60 XC's came equipped. Keep in mind that the spare kit for the V60 sits flush with the load floor, so it appears that Volvo designed in space for it, unlike the S60 which sits slightly above the stock trunk floor, but is flush with the bottom of the trunk opening. Both kits do away with the grocery bag holder lid due to space considerations. I believe that every other P3 Volvo was equipped with a tempa spare under cover.

#49 ·
Here's the spare tire bag I got. It's large enough for a full-size spare and very well made.

#51 ·
Here's the spare tire bag I got. It's large enough for a full-size spare and very well made.
I was going to go this route until I was informed that there's a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario. The Tire is too large, thereby occupying the large majority of trunk space. So a spare (tempa spare or full sized) disallow use of the Grocery Bag Holder. Therefore, I opted for the tempa spare + insert. Not happy about my Grocery bag holder, but people here have suggested "workable" options. None of course, keep the insert, but these options give usable space for carrying items without the fear of shifting.

#52 ·
The other option I invoked... I kept my 2004 xc70 with spare and grocery bag holder... ;-) you guys are welcome to borrow it...

#53 · (Edited)
The other option I invoked... I kept my 2004 xc70 with spare and grocery bag holder... ;-) you guys are welcome to borrow it...

If only my other Volvo was still with us... Please give a moment of Silence for the dearly departed....No grocery bag holder for me or spare Volvo to take about town.

Therefore, maybe my S60 can have offspring with your XC70 to produce a litter of V60s?

#58 ·
I talked to the parts department for my local dealer, and they were recommending that the service people "install" all of this, and this made no sense to me.

Then I found the install instructions:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-se/V60/InstallationInstruction/Pdf/VCC-467402-2

They have you use a hacksaw or a sawzall to saw off 3 bolts that are sticking up from the trunk floor. Once you do that, they want you to prime it so it doesn't rust. And also move some module that is glued to the trunk floor that is in some ways related to keyless entry. So it isn't quite as trivial as I had initially thought.

#59 ·
#62 ·
I got my spare kit today...and I am left a bit flustered.

$200 for a Foam Insert Volvo??? Really???? It's a piece of Foam!
$200 for the Tire. Fine, I can accept the price here.

Kit is definitely an afterthought. You literally have a Box in the trunk wherein the tire is raised to the uppermost limits of the trunk lip. You lose several inches of trunk space. And to make the kit even more quirky, you have a flat top surface, with about a 4 or 5 inch area on either side of the "Tire Box" that has open spare. Not sure why but I will invest in one of the no slip grocery bags listed above.

I'd rather have the spare than the grocery holder, but be forewarned, the setup is NOT pretty!

#63 ·
$200 for a Foam Insert Volvo??? Really???? It's a piece of Foam!
$200 for the Tire. Fine, I can accept the price here.
The dealer was quoting me over 600$ for the whole kit. Tire, box, and a replacement floor hatch with no grocery bag holder. But I still haven't gotten around to ordering anything. I can probably get somewhat better online, but then have to pay for shipping.

#65 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.