PLEASE HELP. Spare wheel, Tempa spare - Have Questions But cant find Answers - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by JML View Post
      I bought the spare separately, and a bag from Bavarian Auto Sport. The bag's straps connect with carabiners (I bought better ones) to the tie-downs in the trunk. I put the spare in only when I'm going to be a couple of hours from home. The trunk is small enough without losing - all the time - about 1/4 of the depth due to the insert. I do wish they had designed the car to always fit a spare without losing so much trunk space, but this is not uncommon these days, unfortunately.

I have a separate and easily removable cargo holder for grocery bags and other stuf, made by Rola. It's great.

A. Poor Design. We all agree. Instead of making the floor under the trunk recessed for a spare, Volvo screwed us all by putting a fix a flat kit there. So you have to buy the insert and give up other ameneties.

B. I like that holder you have. I'm going to buy the spare insert and tire tomorrow. Had a hiccup today. I would like to add that bag in place of my missing grocery bag holder. Where did you purchase and how much?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have a similar bag for storing miscellaneous items. I got it at sams club for about $10-20. It's great because it has Velcro on the bottom and you can open just 1 or all 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Ti (Ty) - 2013 S60 R-Design
      Gunnar - 2013 C30 T5 - bought new and traded in
      Thor - 2004 XC70 (225k and going strong!)

Yeah, I guess I'm a Volvo guy... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by passleft View Post
      I have a similar bag for storing miscellaneous items. I got it at sams club for about $10-20. It's great because it has Velcro on the bottom and you can open just 1 or all 3.

Oh, and I can collapse it for wheelchair space...

Oh, and I can collapse it for wheelchair space...

Make, Model, Design, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Make, Model, Design, etc?
      I had to go searching.... It's actually made by Rubbermaid. My local store got rid of these last fall and it was a clearance item. I've seen similar models at walmart and I think Pepboys.
      https://www.samsclub.com/sams/4pc-rm...lp:product:1:3

A. Poor Design. We all agree. Instead of making the floor under the trunk recessed for a spare, Volvo screwed us all by putting a fix a flat kit there. So you have to buy the insert and give up other ameneties.

B. I like that holder you have. I'm going to buy the spare insert and tire tomorrow. Had a hiccup today. I would like to add that bag in place of my missing grocery bag holder. Where did you purchase and how much?

Thanks
      That is a good one. I have something that works really well.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

I ordered up my tempa spare and cover from Boston Village Volvo online. They had the best pricing at the time. It is a much cleaner installation.

Spare:
      https://www.volvovillageparts.com/oe...FYiKswodeigPZQ

Here is the floor and foam insert:
      https://www.volvovillageparts.com/oe...bC1sNi1nYXM%3D
      Thanatos: 7 VOLVOS: 2017 S60Rdesign Platinum, 2K mi, Polestar Tune, spare tire.
      2011 XC90 3.2 120K mi, Nokian WRG3SUV, 2004 V70XC T5 150K mi
      2004 S60R MT Totaled by me, 2001 XC70 and 1999 V70 - Totaled by kids, 2004 XC90 - Totaled by wife, 2000 V40 - Sold

Amazon, for $54: Rola 59001 M.O.V.E. Rigid-Base Trunk Organizer. It has pockets on both of the long sides, the partitions can be moved or collapsed, and the whole thing can collapse (but of course anything in the pockets has to be removed.

I tried another maker's cheaper model, and it had an awful smell. I used to have a similar Griot's Garage organizer, but gave it to my son for his car (I like this one better).
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Black Sapphire / Climate / Navigation
      IPD Anti-Sway Bar, Rear End-Links, & Skid Plate / Michelin Pilot Super Sport (summer) / Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 (winter)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
      I ordered up my tempa spare and cover from Boston Village Volvo online. They had the best pricing at the time. It is a much cleaner installation.

Spare:
      https://www.volvovillageparts.com/oe...FYiKswodeigPZQ

Here is the floor and foam insert:
      https://www.volvovillageparts.com/oe...bC1sNi1nYXM%3D
      I paid $428 with tax at my local dealer.

I found it for $404 online at VolvoPartsCounter but these guy seem somewhat shady. I called the dealership after pricing out the components online. ~360 for parts and $44 to ship. When I called, the guy said we're a Volvo Dealership so all parts are new. Wonderful. I'm looking to order this part can I do it over the phone or online? Guy says online, but let me inform you that the $44 dollar shipping for tempa spare + insert is going to be $110 as the items are bulky. Our prices for shipping online aren't accurate and we reserve the right to cancel an order or to inform customer if shipping is more than quoted.

Wasn't worth the hassle over $20 bucks. I looked all over and after factoring in shipping, no place came close to local dealership. Pulled the trigger and should be here in 4 to 5 days. Will invest in a bag holder to compensate for loss of Grovery Bag insert.

Amazon, for $54: Rola 59001 M.O.V.E. Rigid-Base Trunk Organizer. It has pockets on both of the long sides, the partitions can be moved or collapsed, and the whole thing can collapse (but of course anything in the pockets has to be removed.

I tried another maker's cheaper model, and it had an awful smell. I used to have a similar Griot's Garage organizer, but gave it to my son for his car (I like this one better).
      Thanks. Does it Velcro in or how does it secure in the trunk? If Velcro, does it cause your floor to get all fuzzy and frayed?

I just purchased a 2017 V60 AWD Cross Country (with the convenience package) - it was delivered with the tempa spare.

Quote Originally Posted by rsumner437 View Post
      I just purchased a 2017 V60 AWD Cross Country (with the convenience package) - it was delivered with the tempa spare.
      Yes, most of the V60 XC's came equipped. Keep in mind that the spare kit for the V60 sits flush with the load floor, so it appears that Volvo designed in space for it, unlike the S60 which sits slightly above the stock trunk floor, but is flush with the bottom of the trunk opening. Both kits do away with the grocery bag holder lid due to space considerations. I believe that every other P3 Volvo was equipped with a tempa spare under cover.

Thanks. Does it Velcro in or how does it secure in the trunk? If Velcro, does it cause your floor to get all fuzzy and frayed?
      No Velcro. The bottom is coated and doesn't slide. The coating hasn't degraded, either, in 2 years. No damage at all to the trunk carpet.
      IPD Anti-Sway Bar, Rear End-Links, & Skid Plate / Michelin Pilot Super Sport (summer) / Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 (winter)

Here's the spare tire bag I got. It's large enough for a full-size spare and very well made.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      Yes, most of the V60 XC's came equipped. Keep in mind that the spare kit for the V60 sits flush with the load floor, so it appears that Volvo designed in space for it, unlike the S60 which sits slightly above the stock trunk floor, but is flush with the bottom of the trunk opening. Both kits do away with the grocery bag holder lid due to space considerations. I believe that every other P3 Volvo was equipped with a tempa spare under cover.
      Yep. This is what we're all steamed about here. Volvo Engineers, so focused upon safety, overlooked a critical aspect of safety. Making room for a Spare during design and NOT as an afterthought!

Here's the spare tire bag I got. It's large enough for a full-size spare and very well made.
      I was going to go this route until I was informed that there's a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario. The Tire is too large, thereby occupying the large majority of trunk space. So a spare (tempa spare or full sized) disallow use of the Grocery Bag Holder. Therefore, I opted for the tempa spare + insert. Not happy about my Grocery bag holder, but people here have suggested "workable" options. None of course, keep the insert, but these options give usable space for carrying items without the fear of shifting.

The other option I invoked... I kept my 2004 xc70 with spare and grocery bag holder... ;-) you guys are welcome to borrow it...

The other option I invoked... I kept my 2004 xc70 with spare and grocery bag holder... ;-) you guys are welcome to borrow it...

If only my other Volvo was still with us... Please give a moment of Silence for the dearly departed....No grocery bag holder for me or spare Volvo to take about town.

Therefore, maybe my S60 can have offspring with your XC70 to produce a litter of V60s?
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 03-09-2017 at 06:56 PM.

If only my other Volvo was still with us... Please give a moment of Silence for the dearly departed....No grocery bag holder for me or spare Volvo to take about town.

Therefore, maybe my S60 can have offspring with your XC70 to produce a litter of V60s?
      Or would they be v40s?? Lol. Yeah it's a benefit. I would save $25/ year on insurance. And the car has 230,000 miles... it's worth keeping for now.

Or would they be v40s?? Lol. Yeah it's a benefit. I would save $25/ year on insurance. And the car has 230,000 miles... it's worth keeping for now.

Volvo #1 got totaled last year by an uninsured driver traveling in excess of 60-100 MPH... Long Story.... Sniffle. Volvo #2 replaced Volvo #1 but i loved that car! And in fact the car was a v40! And now I begrudgingly await for my premiums to skyrocket because "insurance rates are constantly in flux and yours just happened to go up" excuse.

Now back to the science. An S60 and XC70 cannot produce a V40. Not unless my S60 or your XC70 cheated on one another! The only logical byproduct is a V60!

No Velcro. The bottom is coated and doesn't slide. The coating hasn't degraded, either, in 2 years. No damage at all to the trunk carpet.
      Thanks. Once my purchase arrives, Ill be aiming for this bag or similar!

Yep. This is what we're all steamed about here. Volvo Engineers, so focused upon safety, overlooked a critical aspect of safety. Making room for a Spare during design and NOT as an afterthought!
      Beating a dead horse, I'm sure they didn't overlook it. I'd say this was a design and marketing team win over the engineering team, recalling the "Naughty" marketing theme; translation: "form-over-function", and some safety? Completely speculating, but it seems this was an agreed upon concession to claw back some lost cargo volume as a result of the near set "naughty" design parameters (roof line and stub trunk design based on the successful concept car) and muffler location/orientation in the shared platform architecture. Further support or justification was available from peer trends in the segment, to eliminate spare tires (though the peers were probably less concerned with design driven volume constraints than weight and cost savings). The V60 wagon form (and XC60) inherently has a higher floor level allowing enough room for a tempa spare, though the lid with bag holder elimination when using the spare tire kit, seems unnecessary here.

I talked to the parts department for my local dealer, and they were recommending that the service people "install" all of this, and this made no sense to me.

Then I found the install instructions:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...f/VCC-467402-2

They have you use a hacksaw or a sawzall to saw off 3 bolts that are sticking up from the trunk floor. Once you do that, they want you to prime it so it doesn't rust. And also move some module that is glued to the trunk floor that is in some ways related to keyless entry. So it isn't quite as trivial as I had initially thought.
      2015 V60 (FWD).
      Former: ~1995 850 sedan (5-speed manual ).
      Former: ~1985 740GLE (ZF transmission )

Quote Originally Posted by ericy View Post
      I talked to the parts department for my local dealer, and they were recommending that the service people "install" all of this, and this made no sense to me.

Then I found the install instructions:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...f/VCC-467402-2

They have you use a hacksaw or a sawzall to saw off 3 bolts that are sticking up from the trunk floor. Once you do that, they want you to prime it so it doesn't rust. And also move some module that is glued to the trunk floor that is in some ways related to keyless entry. So it isn't quite as trivial as I had initially thought.
      Wrong manual.....https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j...rXe1Mg&cad=rja

Wrong manual.....
      The instructions vary depending on which model you have, what model year (and perhaps which market). The doc that I originally cited was from Malaysia, yours was from Mexico. If you search the instructions for the U.S., you get a list of different instructions for different models:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...ry=spare+wheel

I did a quick check the other day, and those 3 bolts they want me to saw off are in fact present on mine. Slightly older S60 cars have a different part number for the "box" and have different instructions (that don't involve sawing anything off).
      2015 V60 (FWD).

The instructions vary depending on which model you have, what model year (and perhaps which market). The doc that I originally cited was from Malaysia, yours was from Mexico. If you search the instructions for the U.S., you get a list of different instructions for different models:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...ry=spare+wheel

I did a quick check the other day, and those 3 bolts they want me to saw off are in fact present on mine. Slightly older S60 cars have a different part number for the "box" and have different instructions (that don't involve sawing anything off).
      You are a bit confused. Part # 31399083 corresponds to Newer Volvos requiring the insert and using that part #. If you have an older S60 with a different part number, then the installation instructions MAY VARY. For those using 31399083, my guide is accurate.

I got my spare kit today...and I am left a bit flustered.

$200 for a Foam Insert Volvo??? Really???? It's a piece of Foam!
      $200 for the Tire. Fine, I can accept the price here.

Kit is definitely an afterthought. You literally have a Box in the trunk wherein the tire is raised to the uppermost limits of the trunk lip. You lose several inches of trunk space. And to make the kit even more quirky, you have a flat top surface, with about a 4 or 5 inch area on either side of the "Tire Box" that has open spare. Not sure why but I will invest in one of the no slip grocery bags listed above.

I'd rather have the spare than the grocery holder, but be forewarned, the setup is NOT pretty!

$200 for a Foam Insert Volvo??? Really???? It's a piece of Foam!
      $200 for the Tire. Fine, I can accept the price here.
      The dealer was quoting me over 600$ for the whole kit. Tire, box, and a replacement floor hatch with no grocery bag holder. But I still haven't gotten around to ordering anything. I can probably get somewhat better online, but then have to pay for shipping.
      2015 V60 (FWD).

The dealer was quoting me over 600$ for the whole kit. Tire, box, and a replacement floor hatch with no grocery bag holder. But I still haven't gotten around to ordering anything. I can probably get somewhat better online, but then have to pay for shipping.
      I paid $428 dollars in total. Dealership had a 25% off coupon. Dealer helped me install the thing. The boxes it comes in were too huge to fit in my car. So sitting in the parking lot I assembled everything. It's a bit of a pain in the ass. The foam is very stiff. You have to lower the back seat. Remove the Foam for the Jack / Tire Iron (Press on the lip of the foam...I couldn't figure this out and guy at Volvo Showed me). Then insert the Tire Foam Holder. Unscrew the Mount by turning the "wheel". Put tire in Foam insert. Tools then put wheel back on to hold in place.

I tipped the guy at Volvo for helping. He didn't want my money, so he gave it to the lady who was helping too (Another Volvo Employee).

Suffice to say, the whole setup was a Volvo After thought. You have a "Box" in your trunk with about 3-4 Inch Gap on Either Side....But I want a spare and SOME usable trunk space. So this quirky setup was my only option. Im going to invest in a non slip grocery bag / hold.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 03-15-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Here is my good deed for the day: S60/V60 spare tire for sale on CL in the Boston area, $100: https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/wto/6049263028.html If it was closer, I would have bought it! Not up for a 3 hour drive...

Hope someone in the MA area can benefit!
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former)

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      Here is my good deed for the day: S60/V60 spare tire for sale on CL in the Boston area, $100: https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/wto/6049263028.html If it was closer, I would have bought it! Not up for a 3 hour drive...

Hope someone in the MA area can benefit!
      And with the tire cover!
      Great find
      2014 S60 T6 AWD R Design | Passion Red

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2