kruucks V50 Progression Thread
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

kruucks V50 Progression Thread

Hi guys,

I saw that progression threads are pretty standard here and I've already been told that I've got a bit of a unicorn, so I thought I'd give it a go.

2006 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66

Factory Options:
      Bi-Xenon Headlights
      DVD Navigation System
      Grey Leather Interior
      Auto Dimming/Compass Rearview
      Homelink
      Power/Memory Driver's Seat
      Power Sunroof
      Roof Rails
      Headlight Washers
      Heated Seats
      Roof Spoiler
      Side Molding

At 110K miles, she comes with a few issues, but nothing that scared me away.
      The CD player is inoperable.
      The headliner is sagging over the rear seats.
      One of the keys were jammed into the key fob. This means if the battery dies, I won't be able to use the physical key.
      Boost builds up then dies off quickly under moderate acceleration.

That last one does have me a bit concerned, but I'll be checking vacuum lines and hoping it's an easy fix.

Definitely want to fix current issues before I start looking into modifications, but I am very interested in a few things for the not too distant future:
      Bluetooth. I know that there are all kinds of problems with this, but at the moment I'm leaning towards the GROM units to maintain stock appearance.
      I'd like to go a bit lower to get rid of some of that wheel gap, but I'd rather not sacrifice the wonderful ride quality.

Anyway, I'm excited to join the Volvo community.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Welcome to the community with your thread!! Definitely love this car. How much did you pay for her?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

$4400. According to KBB that seems like a decent deal, but if these are as sought after as some of these posts lead me to believe, I think I may have gotten a great deal.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yeah it seems like you did. Love the P1 cars. You really got a great deal on it. Paid 5000$ for my S40 06.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Yup. A good deal indeed. I wonder if 686Sport came across this when he was looking. Exactly what he wants. Hawaii plates??
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Yup. A good deal indeed. I wonder if 686Sport came across this when he was looking. Exactly what he wants. Hawaii plates??

Yeah, I'm in the Air Force and that was my last duty station. I'll be registering this in maryland, but just needed to throw plates on it for the drive home.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD M66

Welcome. Great community here. It's active and helpful, and very entertaining. The CL non affiliated threads are, for sure.
      Quote Originally Posted by kruucks View Post
      Yeah, I'm in the Air Force and that was my last duty station. I'll be registering this in maryland, but just needed to throw plates on it for the drive home.
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

Just drive with caution, if you got pulled over the car could be impounded if the tags don't belong on the car. And prepare yourself for all the stuff you'll probably have to fix to get it Maryland inspected.

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
      Just drive with caution, if you got pulled over the car could be impounded if the tags don't belong on the car. And prepare yourself for all the stuff you'll probably have to fix to get it Maryland inspected.
      Yeah, it's super unfortunate that I picked it up on a Friday. It recently passed Virginia Safety and Emissions, so I'm hoping there won't be too much trouble for the MD inspection.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD M66

Uh, yeah... good luck with that. Ask me how I know. Read my thread about the R I bought in July.
      Yeah, it's super unfortunate that I picked it up on a Friday. It recently passed Virginia Safety and Emissions, so I'm hoping there won't be too much trouble for the MD inspection.

It recently passed Virginia Safety and Emissions, so I'm hoping there won't be too much trouble for the MD inspection.
      No comparison to a $16 VA inspection and the $80+ MD inspection.

And I had to pay it twice: 115, IIRC. *Just* went over the time limit and the mileage limitation for a free retest, trying to trace the leak and get it repaired.
      Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
      No comparison to a $16 VA inspection and the $80+ MD inspection.

Welcome to Swedespeed. I see you fround the Facebook groups too.
      Stan
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer)

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

Uh, yeah... good luck with that. Ask me how I know. Read my thread about the R I bought in July.
      It looks pretty stock and clean... so I have my fingers crossed
      2006 V50 T5 AWD M66

Dang, that is a beautiful wagon! Love those wheels, but I'm a bit biased
      - Brian
      Michigander, aspiring lumberjack, Subaru Ambassador

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Elevate tune, Heico suspension, & 196K miles

So this morning I start the car to go get some temporary tags. It was VERY rough for a few seconds then evened out, but during that time it threw a CEL. Driving fine now, but I'm supposed to get it inspected on Friday

From some preliminary googling and thread searching, it looks like either a fuel pump or a sensor on the throttle body. Unfortunately I don't have VIDA, so if you know anyone south of Baltimore with one, send them my way
      2006 V50 T5 AWD M66

What CEL code are you throwing? This will help a lot.

Also I recommend investing in VIDA. If you own a Volvo it's something you should have, especially if you buy used. I'm buying mine this weekend and from everything I've read people say it makes repairs way easier. You can pick it up for around 92$ on Amazon.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Unfortunately the computer that I had VIDA set up on just died.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer)

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

I know the link to reputable ones have been shared. Can you post again?
      Quote Originally Posted by evy0311 View Post

Also I recommend investing in VIDA. If you own a Volvo it's something you should have, especially if you buy used. I'm buying mine this weekend and from everything I've read people say it makes repairs way easier. You can pick it up for around 92$ on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the one I'm referring too. It has good reviews and is one of the newer style ones. This is also the one I'll be getting.

New 2014D VOLVO VIDA DICE OBD2ⅡEOBD Auto Car Vehicle Code Reader Scanner Diagnostic Scan Tool (Multi-languages) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EHVTIGE..._b-tWyb15T0A2V

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

ECM-3100 through 3150 which are misfires in every cylinder on start up as well as ECM-603C turbo control - pressure too high.

The car never had a 60K service done, so at 111K it's probably long overdue on spark plugs. I'll probably go ahead with the rest of the recommended 60K items.

It also threw a bunch of codes relating to the CEM, but I'll have to tackle those another time.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD M66

You still got a killer deal. That ad was down before I could respond, and I watch CL every day without fail. Good luck with troubleshooting - shouldn't be too tough.
      686Sport
      2004 V70 2.5T awd 16T / 2011 535i / 2008 Bandit 1250SA / 2000 Tacoma TRD

Yeah I'd do the 60k checkup. Sparkplugs are always a good thing to change first because they're relatively cheap.

Especially if you're at such a high mileage and they've never been replaced...

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

This is the one I'm referring too. It has good reviews and is one of the newer style ones. This is also the one I'll be getting.

New 2014D VOLVO VIDA DICE OBD2ⅡEOBD Auto Car Vehicle Code Reader Scanner Diagnostic Scan Tool (Multi-languages) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EHVTIGE..._b-tWyb15T0A2V
      Isn't that same as this $80 one on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/112020900358...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Plus an added layer of protection buying on Ebay with Paypal.

Yeah it is. But the Amazon one has protection as well. I just usually prefer Amazon because I have Amazon prime. But yes it's the same one as the eBay one.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

OK - 93 bucks, and prime here too.
      Next is laptop. Specs and sources? I have an older one at the house and could likely take it down to Win 7, but we upgraded it to W10 last year before the cutoff. Seems like others here have been able to get it working on that v of windows.
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...Windows-10-Pro

Yeah it is. But the Amazon one has protection as well. I just usually prefer Amazon because I have Amazon prime. But yes it's the same one as the eBay one.

Awesome.

For the laptop specs: I'd make sure you have already a dual core processor with at least 4gb of RAM but 8 would be best. The full specs are available at http://www.volvotechinfo.com/index.c...fo.computerReq .

While it's possible to get it working on Windows 10, it'd be best to work with Windows 7 pro. You can get licenses for as cheap as 39$ now these days. If not you can also get a free/pirated version, but I don't recommend this as it is technically illegal and you may run into issues.

Hopefully grabbing VIDA tomorrow. Once I get it I plan on doing a write up with a plethora of how to videos on how to do just about anything you want inside of VIDA. Doesn't seem to be too many videos on here or YouTube that describe how to do something.

Would you or anyone else be interested in me doing how to videos for it?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Awesome.

For the laptop specs: I'd make sure you have already a dual core processor with at least 4gb of RAM but 8 would be best. The full specs are available at http://www.volvotechinfo.com/index.c...fo.computerReq .

While it's possible to get it working on Windows 10, it'd be best to work with Windows 7 pro. You can get licenses for as cheap as 39$ now these days. If not you can also get a free/pirated version, but I don't recommend this as it is technically illegal and you may run into issues.

Hopefully grabbing VIDA tomorrow. Once I get it I plan on doing a write up with a plethora of how to videos on how to do just about anything you want inside of VIDA. Doesn't seem to be too many videos on here or YouTube that describe how to do something.

Would you or anyone else be interested in me doing how to videos for it?

Definitely interested in that. Teach us all the things!
      - Brian
      Michigander, aspiring lumberjack, Subaru Ambassador

2005 V50 AWD - "V."

Elevate tune, Heico suspension, & 196K miles

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stilts View Post
      Definitely interested in that. Teach us all the things!
      I for sure will! Me being the computer savvy tech person I am, I know id be able to pickup on a lot of the things easily.

If you do end up ordering VIDA let me know if you have any questions on getting it setup. My old laptop, basically, was running W10. I downgraded to windows 7 with a free image I found online and used an old license key I had lying around. I have the software, but I'm hoping to add the DiCe clone to the setup

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Start a thread and PM to me so I can subscribe!
      I for sure will! Me being the computer savvy tech person I am, I know id be able to pickup on a lot of the things easily.
      If you do end up ordering VIDA let me know if you have any questions on getting it setup. My old laptop, basically, was running W10. I downgraded to windows 7 with a free image I found online and used an old license key I had lying around. I have the software, but I'm hoping to add the DiCe clone to the setup

For the laptop specs: I'd make sure you have already a dual core processor with at least 4gb of RAM but 8 would be best.
      How about this Dell? http://www.ebay.com/itm/322408107834

we're running VIDA on a W500. It works pretty well.

Yes that Dell would work perfect. The best thing I'd have to say- find something durable and rugged, but also not huge. That's why that Dell would work best. Plus the SSD will make it work really fast.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

So got this for my birthday today...

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Isn't there someone that sells laptops with VIDA preloaded? Maybe $200 or so?
      2006 V50 T5 AWD M66

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast