What's this noise?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

What's this noise?

Hey y'all,

I recently bought a 2006 V50 T5 AWD. So far it's been great, despite having to replace the tires and get an alignment after purchase. The old ones were bald on the outside edge. Also the driver's side rear tire was different from the other three. I'm a tad worried about how long it had been that way and what it's done to the AWD system.

However my most pressing concern right now is what this noise is coming from the engine. I'm not new to the P1 or the T5, my Dad owns a 2013 C70 T5, so I'm fairly familiar with what sounds the engine should be making.

Here's a youtube video showing the noise. I've adjusted the gain and eq of the audio so that this high pitched whine can be more clearly heard, although I think youtube lowered the volume, sorry.

https://youtu.be/YyEUGehVVOk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Belt tensioners perhaps.

If the noise goes away when you pull the dipstick, then it's the PCV system (although that's more of a whistling sound)

What point in the video is the whining noise most prominent? just want to make sure we're talking about the same whine...
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

It might be the tensioner, the timing belt was supposedly replaced a few months ago. Unfortunately, I already checked the PCV, it wasn't that.

You can hear it quite well from 0:27 to 0:30. You might also notice, the noise goes away after stepping off the throttle. There's no noise at idle.

Possibly connected, I have the relatively common issue of vibration around 50 MPH. I'm pretty sure that this is the left side transmission mount, although it kind of feels like it's coming from the rear... idk.
      Last edited by masshole; 03-06-2017 at 12:02 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Have you been able to isolate the noise to right or left/front or back? When does it occur? When engine warm? Cold? Both?
      Might want to try removing the AC belt and see if noise goes away. If not remove the Alternator belt and see if the noise goes away. Could at least isolate a few components.

Quote Originally Posted by masshole View Post
      Hey y'all,

I recently bought a 2006 V50 T5 AWD. So far it's been great, despite having to replace the tires and get an alignment after purchase. The old ones were bald on the outside edge. Also the driver's side rear tire was different from the other three. I'm a tad worried about how long it had been that way and what it's done to the AWD system.

However my most pressing concern right now is what this noise is coming from the engine. I'm not new to the P1 or the T5, my Dad owns a 2013 C70 T5, so I'm fairly familiar with what sounds the engine should be making.

Here's a youtube video showing the noise. I've adjusted the gain and eq of the audio so that this high pitched whine can be more clearly heard, although I think youtube lowered the volume, sorry.

I'm going to listen to this tomorrow with my good headphones to give my opinion. My laptop's speakers aren't that great.

Don't be concerned about the AWD system. It can handle a great deal of difference between the right and left side. The rear is independent from the front but the same right left rule applies to it's differential. You'll be perfectly fine with the car's AWD system as long as you change #1 - Angle Gear Fluid, #2 - Haldex Fluid + Filter, #3 Rear Differential fluid. Chances are they've never been changed and are in DESPERATE NEED of a change. This is not an option. Most of us that opened ours found it contaminated by water or extremely low. Same thing with the tranny fluid. I put 85w-140 in everything except for the haldex and while it's exceptionally thick when cold, it's much nicer when it's 95*F here than the 80w-90 and 75w-90 in it from the factory. I have wondered if we could use Type F ATF in the Haldex or not but I haven't tried, I just put standard OEM fluid in that one.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

^ Good to know, I'll get that done ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      I'm going to listen to this tomorrow with my good headphones to give my opinion. My laptop's speakers aren't that great.

Don't be concerned about the AWD system. It can handle a great deal of difference between the right and left side. The rear is independent from the front but the same right left rule applies to it's differential. You'll be perfectly fine with the car's AWD system as long as you change #1 - Angle Gear Fluid, #2 - Haldex Fluid + Filter, #3 Rear Differential fluid. Chances are they've never been changed and are in DESPERATE NEED of a change. This is not an option. Most of us that opened ours found it contaminated by water or extremely low. Same thing with the tranny fluid. I put 85w-140 in everything except for the haldex and while it's exceptionally thick when cold, it's much nicer when it's 95*F here than the 80w-90 and 75w-90 in it from the factory. I have wondered if we could use Type F ATF in the Haldex or not but I haven't tried, I just put standard OEM fluid in that one.
      I'd be very cautious to put atf fluid in the haldex. I don't think atf has a thick enough viscosity to supply surficient psi to lock up the rear diff. At least that's my intuition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      I'd be very cautious to put atf fluid in the haldex. I don't think atf has a thick enough viscosity to supply surficient psi to lock up the rear diff. At least that's my intuition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yeah it'd be interesting to send in a sample of the Haldex Fluid to find otu what it's made of and go from there.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by masshole View Post
      Hey y'all,

If it sounds more like this
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uaKk18PVNI
      then its the oil trap.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements