96-97 850 Central Locking Question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

96-97 850 Central Locking Question

I did some searching around online, but haven't come across anything that really answers my question, so here goes;

The Central Locking system on a 96 and 97 GLT should be the same, correct?

Neither car has a key fob, but both front doors will open/lock all doors if turned twice.

On the wife's '97, her dash switch works, and when you lock the doors with the key, the parking lights flash.

On my '96, the dash switch works about 10% of the time and the lights don't flash when you lock the car. Mostly the dash switch sounds like it's trying to hit the relay, but there isn't enough power to actuate the locks.

I've had a weird power drain scenario that will result in a dead, or mostly, dead battery if the car sits for 3-4 days. (Worse when it's cold). I was checking current draw and was seeing low numbers (20-30mA), which didn't lead me to really find any circuits that were the culprit for the drain. As I was pulling fuses, checking various things, I was pulling a couple of the circuits that relate to the CL system. When I pulled #8 (I think...it's been a few days), my park lights flashed. Did it a couple times, and got a flash.

Not being 100% familiar with the system, it sounds to me like *maybe* the CL relay is buggy. Any other ideas!

Thanks!
      '96 850 GLT (manual)
      '80 264 (B21FT/M46/MS)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Well, for what it's worth, my parking lights never flash on my 1996, and all the security features otherwise are normal - remote, alarm (accidentally set it off last week), locks, blinky dash light etc.

Supposedly, "On 850s if you have Guard Alarm (started mid 96) and have the remotes with the rectangular buttons where one is above the other, then you have light acknowledgement of locking."

My remote has round buttons, so, I guess I have the older-style alarm without the flash.

On your 1996, if your alarm and locks function properly with the key, but don't with the switch, then that leads me to believe that your switch or the switch wiring is bad. The central lock relay is super simple - if it's not working, then you couldn't lock the car with the key.

As far as the power drain, those can be difficult to diagnose unless you have time to pull each fuse one at a time and let the car sit for a few days each time.

For what it's worth, power drain problems are a lot less common than bad/old batteries and alternators. If the battery dies faster when it's cold, that's definitely a symptom of an old/bad battery.
      1996 855 Platinum - many mods, signature too long
      2006 V70 2.5t - mostly stock daily driver
      a dozen+ RWD Volvos, now gone

Well, I have no idea which remotes the cars might've had (If they did) as neither came to me with one. Not sure if either car has an alarm on it. Both have the blinking lights on the dash, but I haven't found anything else that would lead me to believe they have alarms on them.

The dash and the switch have been swapped in the 96, but I suppose it still could be in the last bit of wiring from the dash/chassis connector to the relay.

The battery was swapped with a new one just after the first of the year. Started sounding soft on starts about 3 weeks later. The car sat for 4-5 days a couple weeks ago when I was riding the bike to work and driving the 240. Dead battery. Recharged it and found pretty low amp draws.

The alternator could be an issue, as it puts out just shy of 13.8V when running and loaded with lights and fans, but haven't had a chance to pull it.
      '96 850 GLT (manual)
      '80 264 (B21FT/M46/MS)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

For what it's worth - my '96 Platinum Edition has the lock button on the dash, and the key fobs w/ the oval shaped buttons. It has the basic alarm system - blinking light on the dash, and an alarm horn mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment. My car does not blink the parking lights when the lock button is pushed on the fob (or if the key is turned in the door handle).

Do either of your cars have the horn mounted on the firewall? That's an indication that you've got the factory (basic) alarm. I've never seen a car w/ the Guard Alarm system in person, so I can't really comment on that.

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements