Low battery warning on 3 different batteries
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Low battery warning on 3 different batteries

I recently purchased a 2012 Volvo S60 T5. When I shut the car off and left the radio on, after about 30 seconds I got a low battery warning and the system shut down in 2 minutes.

I removed the battery and installed a battery from another car. The battery is the same size (H6, group 48), and is less than a month old. After installation, I left the radio on for 5 minutes and thought the problem was solved. After driving the car for 30 minutes and then shutting it off, I got the low battery warning again after about 30 seconds. I drove the car a few more times and got the battery warning every time I shut the car off and waited 30 seconds.

I purchased a new larger, AGM battery (size H8, group 49). Just like with the other battery, there was no battery warning until I drove the car, then the problem returned.

I checked the voltage with the car running and followed the voltage drop after turning the car off with the radio on. While running, the alternator supplies 14.6-14.8 volts. After turning off the car, the low battery warning came on when the voltage dropped to 12.6. If I disconnect the negative terminal, then reconnect it, I don’t get the low battery warning until I drive the car and then shut it off.

Does anyone have an idea what would cause this?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Got same message a couple of times with my 2011 S60 T6...
      Running a Voltmeter with my obdlink BT and I get 14.5+ V when running.
      (It ran at 13.5V only once when I was up north in cottage country)
      Volt drops to 12.3 when car not running.
      Only difference, the original battery is most likely still in the car (got the car in January 2016).
      So for me, it's most likely an old battery telling me to change it.
      Sorry that I can't really help you here.

Welcome aboard btw
      2001 V70 2.4T.. RIP
      2011 S60 T6 AWD.. just beginning....
      * IPD rear sway bar + links / IPD DEM cover / IPD skid plate
      * Hybrid Audio Imagine I61-2 / sound deadening

I had sort of similar problems in the first month with my 2015 V60 which had probably sat on the dealer's lot for more than a year. I wonder whether you've not driven far enough with the new battery to bring it up to full charge? The warning messages might go away after a couple of hours of highway driving.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ryb97001 View Post
      I recently purchased a 2012 Volvo S60 T5.
      I've had some run-ins with that low battery warning. Since you have a 2012 make sure you have a couple of software updates. One fixed a problem with the RDAR module. This is the satellite radio module. Where was an issue with it drawing to much standby current. (TJ26188) Make sure this was addressed.

The second is an CEM update regarding that low battery warning, probably making it less sensitive. I don't know the TJ number for this. It might have been part of another CEM update. Since these updates I've not seen that warning once and it's been a few years now.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      I've had some run-ins with that low battery warning. Since you have a 2012 make sure you have a couple of software updates. One fixed a problem with the RDAR module. This is the satellite radio module. Where was an issue with it drawing to much standby current. (TJ26188) Make sure this was addressed.

The second is an CEM update regarding that low battery warning, probably making it less sensitive. I don't know the TJ number for this. It might have been part of another CEM update. Since these updates I've not seen that warning once and it's been a few years now.
      +1
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Battery maintainers* are inexpensive. Suggest you get one and leave it connected overnight. This resolved a similar issue with our V60 which was 18 months old when we took delivery and had had a lot of short trips.
      * I've used Battery Tenders on motorcycles for decades. The Battery MINDer is a newer design which can actually 'heal' sulfation** problems with an older battery.
      ** Sulfation, a build-up of lead sulfate crystals, is the number one cause of early failures of lead-acid, sealed AGM or flooded (wet cell-filler caps) batteries. A sulfated battery can lead to: loss of cranking power. longer charging times.
      2016 V60 CC T5 AWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS

Maybe should reset the Battery Monitoring Sensor.
      2007 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post

The battery doesn't lose charge overnight, so I think the problem is not the RDAR module.

The CEM update sounds plausible. I assume that would have to be done by a dealer and not with my VIDA unit. If so, I will have to decide if the problem is enough of a nuisance to pay for a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by qaz996 View Post
      Maybe should reset the Battery Monitoring Sensor.
      How do you reset the sensor? I spent a lot of time on VIDA trying to find a reset for the sensor, but couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by ryb97001 View Post
      How do you reset the sensor? I spent a lot of time on VIDA trying to find a reset for the sensor, but couldn't find it.
      In VIDA, go to Vehicle Communications tab. Click on CEM to communicate with it. Go to Advanced and scroll down to Battery Monitoring. In that cluster should be something like "Resetting the Battery Monitoring Sensor when replacing the battery". Do that.
      2007 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by qaz996 View Post
      In VIDA, go to Vehicle Communications tab. Click on CEM to communicate with it. Go to Advanced and scroll down to Battery Monitoring. In that cluster should be something like "Resetting the Battery Monitoring Sensor when replacing the battery". Do that.
      I reset the sensor last night. This evening I had the radio on for about 30 minutes with no problem. I think that solved the problem. Thank you so much.

I have had this problem constantly on my 2011 T6. I'm on my 3rd battery (CPO warranty). Now it's doing it again. I drive the car every weekday. They did the RDAR module update, all software updates. It still happens. I just ignore it now.
      2011 Volvo S60 T6 AWD, Flamenco Red / Beechwood / Urbane / PCC / Dynamic...now WITH driver's lumbar adjustment!

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements