Volvo's Limited FootPrint - Why Volvo Drivers are "unique" - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
      I don't recall on which shows I have seen the Volvo ads. I don't watch that much TV, but I have seen ads. I mostly watch NBA, NHL and MLB, with a little sitcom thrown in. But I have seen ads. (Not that many, though)

I am guessing Volvo isn't buying time on the Kardashians.

They should be sponsoring PBS shows.
      Maybe that's my problem. I love PBS (Nova, Antiques Roadshow, Mercy Street, etc)... And Big Bang Theory (Another Great Show).

Everything on T.V. now is reality garbage or Trashy Talk Shows (Maury, Jerry SPringer, etc). Can't imagine these are Volvo's prime demographic either.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Volvo needs to get themselves back out there. I've seen a TV ad maybe 3 times? I get bombarded with ads for other makes constantly. They weren't even at the DC Auto Show. I'm 29 and my friends laughed at me when I said I wanted a Volvo. To them it's just safe and boring. I got mine because I wanted something different and "unique". I think I have that with my S80, don't see many around and I appreciate that. I also think Volvo design is classy but not flashy.

New Volvo design is even better but I'm not sure I'll be back. Lots of weird quirks with the car and not sure how I feel comfortable owning it after CPO warranty runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by stupid_nut View Post
      Volvo needs to get themselves back out there. I've seen a TV ad maybe 3 times? I get bombarded with ads for other makes constantly. They weren't even at the DC Auto Show. I'm 29 and my friends laughed at me when I said I wanted a Volvo. To them it's just safe and boring. I got mine because I wanted something different and "unique". I think I have that with my S80, don't see many around and I appreciate that. I also think Volvo design is classy but not flashy.

New Volvo design is even better but I'm not sure I'll be back. Lots of weird quirks with the car and not sure how I feel comfortable owning it after CPO warranty runs out.
      1. I actually like the Design on my 2015.5 T5 Drive-E FWD S60 and think its the right Mix of Sporty / Classy.
      2. S80 was Volvo's flagship and "High End" for years until the 90's series.
      3. I agree. I see a ton of other manufacturers push the hell out of their cars, but not Volvo. Even when there are 4 Volvo Dealerships within a 100 mile radius.
      4. I do see a lot of XC70s by comparison, but out of all the cars on the road, I probably spot 3 or 4 Volvos a day? It's almost like a Secret Nod. We're not the Only ones with a Volvo. We're a small bunch of Volvo "groupies". . Making Volvo is Underrated.

Volvo does have a lot of quirks, strange engineering designs, etc. Safety is their Strong Point. Technology (Infotainment) is their low. If Volvo got their act together and bettered their infotainment systems, Volvo would have Strong line to Push. But because their tech is on the low side of functional, it drags down an overall good vehicle.

What year is your Volvo? Make, Model, Features? I got the CPO, and glad. My CPO had a little over 6 yrs remaining. So I got about 5 yrs left now. Good piece of mind to know we're covered!

And FairFax is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (Money). I think it's one of the richest counties places in Virginia and probably within the top 15 in the U.S. Tons and Tons of government employees. Great area. I use to fly out / drive to D.C. for extended stays and visit a friend who lived at the Camden Potomac Yard. Lot to do around Fairfax.

If Volvo isn't pushing their cars in one of the wealthiest areas in the country, then you know they are poorly marketing themselves.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 03-18-2017 at 09:35 PM.

While I can understand the rationale behind spending whatever limited funds are in reserve on R&D costs to make better cars that in theory will be able to compete with their direct competitors, you can't sell a product that no one knows exists, out of a dealership that few people even think to go to. Volvos make sense to most people when they are reminded of their positive attributes, value, and when they have a chance to see how sharp they are in person. Word of mouth helps, but only helps so much when there are only a handful of people spreading the word to their friends and neighbors, so there are few people seeing cool cars in their neighbors' driveways inspiring them to go out and buy that same car for themselves.

No, to sell cars you have to make people aware of those cars and their virtues, and convince them that those cars will somehow fit into and elevate their lifestyles, while also protecting your family and maybe getting you laid occasionally. You have to create a brand image that fits with the times, or create a profile of the sort of customer a potential customer thinks they want to be. There is no better investment than a good ad campaign that relentlessly hammers home the value and desireablility of their product, or at least lets people know that this new product exists, and is available at a great discount at Sven Schmorgenborg's Volvo Emporium, on Rt 1 The Auto Mile, so come on down!! Finally, you have to get as many cars out there and visible on the roads and driveways, to create trends so that others will wish to follow suit (Basic people like to buy the same things as their peer group, from the requisite Canada Goose and Uggs ensemble, to the same car that fits that style, like a nice Honda CRV, lol. Get those people into Volvos and soon everyone around them will want the same car).
      Last edited by Bunnspeed; 03-18-2017 at 10:15 PM.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

There isn't a single "quirky" thing about my 2004 XC90 (nor my 2009 C30, except that it only has two doors, which doesn't qualify as "quirky" in my book).
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD (OSD purchase - June)(for towing/camping and backroad journeys); 2008 C30 T5 (MT) OSD purchase (December)(mine); 2004 Porsche Boxster (used)(hers); 2007 Prius (handed down)

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post

Everything on T.V. now is reality garbage or Trashy Talk Shows (Maury, Jerry SPringer, etc).
      That's not remotely true. There is more good content for TV today than ever in history. Far more.

Even for someone with your highbrow tastes.

Holy smokes, BBC's Planet Earth, alone!!

and I don't even watch the TV dramas

There is not close to enough time to watch all the good TV. I still haven't caught up with the damned SOPRANOS!!

(currently binging on Nurse Jackie with my wife)

Archer?
      It's Always Sunny (past seasons)?
      South Park?
      Modern Family? (nothing wrong with a little mainstream sappy chuckles, now and then)
      Sherlock?

Come on, man!!

2004 XC90 2.5T AWD (OSD purchase - June)(for towing/camping and backroad journeys); 2008 C30 T5 (MT) OSD purchase (December)(mine); 2004 Porsche Boxster (used)(hers); 2007 Prius (handed down)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      While I can understand the rationale behind spending whatever limited funds are in reserve on R&D costs to make better cars that in theory will be able to compete with their direct competitors, you can't sell a product that no one knows exists, out of a dealership that few people even think to go to. Volvos make sense to most people when they are reminded of their positive attributes, value, and when they have a chance to see how sharp they are in person. Word of mouth helps, but only helps so much when there are only a handful of people spreading the word to their friends and neighbors, so there are few people seeing cool cars in their neighbors' driveways inspiring them to go out and buy that same car for themselves.

No, to sell cars you have to make people aware of those cars and their virtues, and convince them that those cars will somehow fit into and elevate their lifestyles, while also protecting your family and maybe getting you laid occasionally. You have to create a brand image that fits with the times, or create a profile of the sort of customer a potential customer thinks they want to be. There is no better investment than a good ad campaign that relentlessly hammers home the value and desireablility of their product, or at least lets people know that this new product exists, and is available at a great discount at Sven Schmorgenborg's Volvo Emporium, on Rt 1 The Auto Mile, so come on down!! Finally, you have to get as many cars out there and visible on the roads and driveways, to create trends so that others will wish to follow suit (Basic people like to buy the same things as their peer group, from the requisite Canada Goose and Uggs ensemble, to the same car that fits that style, like a nice Honda CRV, lol. Get those people into Volvos and soon everyone around them will want the same car).
      Couldn't agree more. Europeans know about Volvo, because Volvo's are made in Sweden. Volvo makes a large majority of the Semi Trucks you see on the road. So their Business end must do a good job.

Consumer side is lacking tremendously. Only reason I ever thought of Volvo is I received my first one as a "gift". Liked the car, and turned out it was safe as hell. After that volvo got totaled in a horrific crash and everyone lived, I bought my current model.

I said earlier, Volvo should do a "Volvo Saved My Life" blitzkrieg marketing campaign.

Mother / Father with Baby are in Car driving.. Where it cuts to Person saying... We were in our Volvo one day when (Drunk Driver, Bad Weather, etc) caused a wreck. Had we not been in a Volvo, who knows if we would be here today. Volvo Saved our life, and it can save yours. Then show a picture of a lot of "Volvo Saved My Life" people.. and Say... Volvo Saved Our Lives, too. Come Join the Volvo Family. And make our Pledge of Having No Fatalities on the road by 2020 a reality.

etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
      That's not remotely true. There is more good content for TV today than ever in history. Far more.

Even for someone with your highbrow tastes.

Holy smokes, BBC's Planet Earth, alone!!

and I don't even watch the TV dramas

There is not close to enough time to watch all the good TV. I still haven't caught up with the damned SOPRANOS!!

(currently binging on Nurse Jackie with my wife)

Archer?
      It's Always Sunny (past seasons)?
      South Park?
      Modern Family? (nothing wrong with a little mainstream sappy chuckles, now and then)
      Sherlock?

Come on, man!!

I love Modern Family... South Park...Family Guy, Simpsons, The Walking Dead etc... But I tend to watch more of PBS... Sherlock, Mercy Street, Antiques Roadshow...

Most Afternoon / Evening shows are inundated with Reality and Crime Dramas.

I cannot stand reality tv what so ever.. and I hate shows like Criminal Minds, NCIS, Law and Order, Chicago Med, etc. Not only are these shows Contrived and Formulaic, they are total Nonsense. Bore the living daylights out of me.......

Sopranos was good. Not seen every episodes, but quite a few.

Check out a show called "Quarry". Interesting one.

My point remains, I've not seen a Volvo Commercial locally with the shows I do watch.... I tend to record shows, as I am not one to sit by the Television Much. Takes me a while to watch things. And even then, I sometimes just don't bother.

I live in the Philadelphia PA area -- there are a dozen dealers within a 60 minute drive. There are a *lot* of Volvos in this area.

The dealer I used is located between a Mercedes and BMW dealership, down the street from an Infiniti dealer.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

Volvo seems to have always had at least a decent presence in areas where Subaru was also popular (Pac NW, New England, etc). At breakfast the other day I came out and was parallel parked between an SPA-XC90 and a P3 S60 RD, so they're certainly not lacking in the Seattle market (granted we have the Norwegian/Scandinavian influence in the Ballard area). I've even seen an elusive S60CC or two. Subaru has had a bit of a renaissance lately and have drastically improved their lineup touting safety of all things (hint hint Volvo), while the equivalent competitors on Volvo's front (XC70/V60CC) haven't been significantly updated in years so they don't take it up enough of a level to justify the price difference. Frankly, I think the V60CC would have been a much bigger seller in the US if they hadn't waited so long to get it to market on an already-aging platform. With the new SPA models, there is certainly a big enough jump in features and quality to justify the additional price over Subaru, so time will tell if Volvo has an equivalent level of rebirth in the US market. The S90 will never be a volume seller unless there's all of a sudden a run on sedans again, but the availability of a complete XC/CC series will get people back in the door again. And, as I've said before, the lack of an entry-level 40-series is a huge black hole in their lineup right now.
      Current Fleet: 2007 XC90 V8 Sport (Titanium Gray); 2016 S60 T5 Drive-E Premium Polestar (Black Stone, Sport Pkg, Convenience Pkg, BLIS, Tech Pkg)
      Previously Owned: 2005 S60 2.5T AWD (Ice White)

Quote Originally Posted by Sven787 View Post
      Volvo seems to have always had at least a decent presence in areas where Subaru was also popular (Pac NW, New England, etc). At breakfast the other day I came out and was parallel parked between an SPA-XC90 and a P3 S60 RD, so they're certainly not lacking in the Seattle market (granted we have the Norwegian/Scandinavian influence in the Ballard area). I've even seen an elusive S60CC or two. Subaru has had a bit of a renaissance lately and have drastically improved their lineup touting safety of all things (hint hint Volvo), while the equivalent competitors on Volvo's front (XC70/V60CC) haven't been significantly updated in years so they don't take it up enough of a level to justify the price difference. Frankly, I think the V60CC would have been a much bigger seller in the US if they hadn't waited so long to get it to market on an already-aging platform. With the new SPA models, there is certainly a big enough jump in features and quality to justify the additional price over Subaru, so time will tell if Volvo has an equivalent level of rebirth in the US market. The S90 will never be a volume seller unless there's all of a sudden a run on sedans again, but the availability of a complete XC/CC series will get people back in the door again. And, as I've said before, the lack of an entry-level 40-series is a huge black hole in their lineup right now.
      While there might be "Volvo Hotspots" the numbers give a different story. Volvo's market penetration is negligible. Volvo has done very little to sell their brand and distinguish their vehicles from the competition.

Sure, I love being "unique" and owning a Volvo. However, I see the downside, too. Decreased Demand translates into rapid Depreciation. Volvo S60's lose 34% of their value in the first year. And As we're all aware, Volvos are expensive to maintain and repair. If Volvos had a greater market share, Parts wouldn't be such a commodity.

Unfortunately, limited volume sales (parts) equate to a higher price. I.E. mass production reduction vs. limited number.

Subscribed. Have a lot of thoughts about all this that I'll likely share at some point in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      Subscribed. Have a lot of thoughts about all this that I'll likely share at some point in the future.

Please Share.

Here's a story encompassing several attributes of being part of a smaller group, and the fundamental essence, I believe, of Volvo.

Volvo saves the day.... Again.

NOTE : read all the posts, there's a link to a happy turn of events.
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

What brought me to Volvo was wanting something upscale, refined and classy. I think I got that. What turned out to be even more important to me was how well Volvo stood behind their product. That to me matters more than other peoples impressions. I'm still very happy with my car and the company in general. Couple all this with a positive dealership experience and I'll be coming back for sure. Couldn't care less if others will.
      Last edited by ecoDrive; 03-21-2017 at 11:53 AM.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood

Good points.

I wonder if Volvo would be different if it sold 2x or 3x more cars. Perhaps the problems and benefits we experience today would trend to the more problematic side if it sold more cars.

I tend to doubt it, the company has a totally different approach than U.S. makers, not sure about other Euro or other makers.
      -
      - XC60 T5 Drive-E MY-2015.5 Savile Grey Platinum w/ BLIS, Blond/Black Sport seats, Heated front. OSD -

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      What brought me to Volvo was wanting something upscale, refined and classy. I think I got that. What turned out to be even more important to me was how well Volvo stood behind their product. That to me matters more than other peoples impressions. I'm still very happy with my car and the company in general. Couple all this with a positive dealership experience and I'll be coming back for sure. Couldn't care less if others will.
      Couldn't agree more. I was ready for an upscale brand and Volvo offered a product that was safe, comfortable, and looked good in an understated sort of way. I wanted something that was upscale without being too pretentious and I think Volvo fit that mold perfectly. Plus, the pricing was very favorable. Nothing has happened over the last 27 months and 63,000 miles to change my opinion, the car has treated me very well and the dealership experience has been far better than any mainstream brand I have owned over the years. The greatly improved products, especially the new XC60 when it becomes available, should push sales up significantly at Volvo, and maybe then more aggressive advertising and an improved dealership network will follow.
      Current: 2014 Volvo S60 T5 Premier / Caspian Blue

Quote Originally Posted by johnee View Post
      Here's a story encompassing several attributes of being part of a smaller group, and the fundamental essence, I believe, of Volvo.

Volvo saves the day.... Again.

NOTE : read all the posts, there's a link to a happy turn of events.
      O, I know Volvo's save lives. My last Volvo got hit by an SUV going 60-100 MPH by a Dipship in a high speed pursuit. You don't need to tell me twice.

So yes, I love Volvo. That's why I bought another after my last car met its end. Does that mean Volvo's are without problems? Of course not.

Volvo's Safety is unparalleled, but to compete in a crowded arena, Volvo needs to up their game by improving their tech / infotainment and working out the kinks.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc79 View Post
      Couldn't agree more. I was ready for an upscale brand and Volvo offered a product that was safe, comfortable, and looked good in an understated sort of way. I wanted something that was upscale without being too pretentious and I think Volvo fit that mold perfectly. Plus, the pricing was very favorable. Nothing has happened over the last 27 months and 63,000 miles to change my opinion, the car has treated me very well and the dealership experience has been far better than any mainstream brand I have owned over the years. The greatly improved products, especially the new XC60 when it becomes available, should push sales up significantly at Volvo, and maybe then more aggressive advertising and an improved dealership network will follow.
      1. I love my 15.5's exterior Design and think the car has just the right amount of character. Sporty, Sleek, but not overly pretentious.
      2. The leather and interior (Non Sport Package) is supple and comfortable. You can sit in a Volvo for an extended period and be comfortable.
      3. Dealership experience remains inconsistent. The dealer I'm at now has been superb. A rental Car, Top Notch Service, etc. Other dealer, No Rental r Loaner ever, and Wasn't overly thrilled by their customer service.

Volvo has safety on their side. Unfortunately, Volvo has lacked workable tech. The 2018 XC60 is getting a makeover with tech mirroring the 90 series (tablet). Sounds good! Volvo needs to up their game and place more modern tech in all vehicles. It's 2017. Customers want Connected Vehicles.

Volvo's failures in their infotainment have been a huge disappointment. Not a deal breaker, but also not winning over customers.

2. Depreciation is major concern. If you buy a Volvo new, you might as well throw out 1/3rd of that within 1 Yr! Hondas, Toyota, and Especially Suburaru hold their value.
      That is the case with almost all luxury vehicles, not just Volvo. Go ahead and see what trade values of Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes,, etc are if traded within 18 to 24 months from purchase...
      3. Depreciation, plus few adopters, translate to high maintenance and repair costs. Parts become a commodity where the high cost is passed onto the consumer.
      Wow...did you make this up? Care to furnish some facts to back up this "theory"?
      4. Tech... Dear God.. Volvo Engineers are Just Boneheaded here... Volvo has poor and outdated tech compared to other manufacturers.
      What do you drive? A 240? or a 740? Not sure who is boneheaded here...

I would highly recommend you go and drive one of the latest model Volvos and let us know whether or not the tech is outdated.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

1Volvo's failures in their infotainment have been a huge disappointment. Not a deal breaker, but also not winning over customers.
      The overwhelming majority of XC90 owners are very happy and they love their cars and the tech. As a matter of fact, we are starting to see XC90 owners coming to buy/lease S90s for their better halves...one of the reasons they bring up is they are familiar with the interface of their XC90 and love it so much that they want it in their next car.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post

Volvo's Safety is unparalleled, but to compete in a crowded arena, Volvo needs to up their game by improving their tech / infotainment and working out the kinks.
      And that is exactly what Volvo has done and will continue to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      That is the case with almost all luxury vehicles, not just Volvo. Go ahead and see what trade values of Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes,, etc are if traded within 18 to 24 months from purchase...

Wow...did you make this up? Care to furnish some facts to back up this "theory"?

I would highly recommend you go and drive one of the latest model Volvos and let us know whether or not the tech is outdated.
      I Drive a 2015.5 Volvo S60.

The tech (Infotainment) NOT SAFETY is very poorly thought out. Safety is by FAR Volvo's #1 Selling Point and #1 Reason I bought a Volvo. It doesn't negate the "negatives".

1. The Navigation / GPS Cannot tell you if the Point of Arrival is on Left or Right. I have heard it say arriving on Left or Right a FEW TIMES!. My 10 year old Garmin can tell me what side of the road my destination is at, but not my $40,000 Dollar 2015.5 Volvo? COME ON!

And yes, this is more than a nuisance. It's a Safety Flaw. Instead of Driving, I have to Scan the Surroundings for my Destination.

2. The infotainment is riddled with issues. The System is constantly buffering between songs on Pandora. The Basic Web Browser is practically useless.. For Volvo to put their "Tablet" in ONLY the 90 series and throw in a "Half Engineered" infotainment into the rest of their Volvos Confounds me! A $20,000 Dollar Fiat and Hyundai has a Better Laid out Infotainment than a $40,000 Volvo.

Yes.... The Infotainment Tech is OUTDATED!!

And Yes... 90 Series owners are Happy. Anyone who doesn't buy a 90 Series gets tech that's worse than cars costing half the price...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars-...y-brand-guide/

3. http://www.autoblog.com/photos/cars-...#slide-4240818

Volvo is #3 on Depreciation. Only the Lincoln MKS and FIAT outpace Volvo.

3. Volvo S60
      Price Difference Over The First Year
      In Dollars: $14,204
      Price Difference Over The First Year In Percentage: 34.4 %

4. I realize manufacturers are eliminating spare tires...But Volvo's Spare was an afterthought. Not only do the S60s not have a wheel Well for a spare, that foam insert + spare kit are incompatible with the Grocery Bag (Convenience) Package. I bought the spare. I'd rather have the spare....But are you Kidding me that Volvo Engineers Couldn't have done a better job designing the two?

5. Volvo's rank #4 most expensive brand to maintain (Though No Specific Models rank in the Top 10 of Individual Cars to Maintain over 10 years)

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...y-maddy-martin

I realize some of this Data is Subjective. And some of the Data is Objective (Cost of Ownership).
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 03-22-2017 at 08:14 AM.

The concerns are specific to the current S/V60. No question the new 90 series cars are much more on the cutting edge as far as technology. I have spent time in an XC90, and I agree it is right in line or better than the competition from a technology perspective.

I have to agree on some level with MyVolvoS60 on depreciation as well (again, specific to the current S/V60). The huge discounts available on a new S60 greatly depresses its value on the used market.

I don't think that Volvo's are any more expensive to maintain than any other car. In the past 2 years we've put in about $4k on front end parts (struts, lower ball joints, lower control arms) also brakes/rotors on our 2004 XC70 with 90k miles. Given the roads in CA, I'm surprised it only cost that much.

We've been Volvo owners since 1977 with our 245, it brought our son home from the hospital, our second one was a 850 that I made a huge mistake and sold when we bought our XC70 in 2004. My wife had/has a broken back from a motorcycle accident and we're both a touch older. She finds it hard to get into a car that too low (my SLK Sport) or too high, plus getting older means we don't climb well. We are just about to flip the switch on a new car, and being long term Volvo owners are 95% leaning toward Volvo. We don't care about all of the bells and whistles but boy were we ticked when Volvo canceled the XC70, LOVE the XC70, perfect size, hauls anything, comfortable on long trips, huge gas tank. Now we're stuck with 'maybe' a V60 AWD, a XC60 AWD (wife isn't fond of it) or the V90 with is a touch larger than the XC70 and she doesn't want something larger. I will say we've looked at Audi, Mercedes and VW. The key to all of these is ease of getting in and out and seat comfort. I'm concerned that Volvo Cars is now owned by a Chinese company. Their new small Volvo is going to be make in China. Living in Silicon Valley, there are a few dealers and a LOT of XC 60's and XC 90's on the road here.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc79 View Post
      The concerns are specific to the current S/V60. No question the new 90 series cars are much more on the cutting edge as far as technology. I have spent time in an XC90, and I agree it is right in line or better than the competition from a technology perspective.
      He wrote Volvo tech is outdated. So, if you are going to compare the tech of an 8-year old car to today's tech, I think we are all smart enough to figure out the correct answer. However, when you use a blanket statement like that, it will be addressed. Volvo is moving to the right direction with ALL models.

I have to agree on some level with MyVolvoS60 on depreciation as well (again, specific to the current S/V60). The huge discounts available on a new S60 greatly depresses its value on the used market.
      The car is at the end of its lifecycle. It is 8 years old. What are your expectations? Show me any European car that is 6+ years old and does not have support from its OEM before it goes away...

I am a first time Volvo owner, long time admirer. Couple of thoughts on this topic:

I agree that their limited product line making it a challenge to be a leader in the US in terms of macro scale, across segments. Further, within their recent and current product line they have a couple of niche products (wagons) and a sedan (the S60) which personally (and no offense) is just a bizarre combination of features and looks for the bread and butter mid-higher end sedan market.

Their XC60 is a different story. They sold 160K of them in 2016, which in a quick google search could be in the top 5-10, depending on how you define it.And within I think their intended demographic is a top choice (at least from looking around the car pool lane at school!). The relaunch in 18 looks promising.

Friends looking for a 3rd row seat have the new XC90s high on their list (especially 1 car families who don't have the expense of 2 cars). It is big jump from the front running Honda Pilot, but I am seeing more of them. I took my first drive of the S90 this weekend and it was sublime. And the V90 looks like sex. So I think their product line has some great promise along the tech and luxury dimensions.

Now they need to market the crap out of them AND get supply. My dealer told me that they have very limited inventory of XC90s and S/V 90s and seemed frustrated. People are coming and looking, maybe for the first time, but there isn't much to buy. AND the price increases (perhaps warranted with the tech/design) will be hard for segments on the cusp, to swallow. I think they could have a big pricing problem.

I also think a key factor is what a customer is cross-shopping and where they are coming from. For me, I was looking to class up from VW, Honda, and American. I ended up with a 2013 XC60 RD P* and even being 3 years old, blows away my prior cars in most dimensions. Also, the dealer buying experience, service features, and CPO were way above. Will see how the actual experience goes over time.

For various reasons, I would never consider an Audi, BMW, and probably not a Mercedes. Yet, I wanted a fun to drive, functional, reliable, safe, with a high end, but (non-flashy) vehicle. That is what drove me to Volvo. As for non-flashy, I wasn't quite as successful, ending up with a Passion Red, but so far, getting only the right attention with it
      2013 XC60 Passion Red R-Design Platinum w/ P*

He wrote Volvo tech is outdated. So, if you are going to compare the tech of an 8-year old car to today's tech, I think we are all smart enough to figure out the correct answer. However, when you use a blanket statement like that, it will be addressed. Volvo is moving to the right direction with ALL models.

The car is at the end of its lifecycle. It is 8 years old. What are your expectations? Show me any European car that is 6+ years old and does not have support from its OEM before it goes away...
      8 Year old Volvo????? My car is a 2015.5 Volvo S60.....I think you have me confused with another Poster? Or are you saying the current 2015.5 is based upon an 8 Year Old Design? If so, that doesn't mean you can't change and modify the interior over time.

The Tech in a 2015.5 wasn't available in the 2015 and prior. Volvo's infotainment System was added in the 2015.5 Calendar year...

My grips regarding:

1. Navigation Deficiencies
      2. Infotainment System

and so forth are legitimate concerns.....For a technology added 2 years ago....But that had far superior technology available at the time... Seeing that the 2017 S60s still use the same infotainment systems as my 15.5

8 Year old Volvo????? My car is a 2015.5 Volvo S60.....I think you have me confused with another Poster? Or are you saying the current 2015.5 is based upon an 8 Year Old Design? If so, that doesn't mean you can't change and modify the interior over time.

The Tech in a 2015.5 wasn't available in the 2015 and prior. Volvo's infotainment System was added in the 2015.5 Calendar year...

My grips regarding:

1. Navigation Deficiencies
      2. Infotainment System

and so forth are legitimate concerns.....For a technology added 2 years ago....But that had far superior technology available at the time... Seeing that the 2017 S60s still use the same infotainment systems as my 15.5
      Yes, the design of this car came in 2010. With a few model years in between regular model years, it is 8 model years old.

The Nav does its job very well. I love in Southern California, the land of congestion and ever changing traffic conditions. The system never got me lost, always guided me correctly and adapted to whatever traffic conditions were thrown at it.

Aside from that, it happens to be one of the safest cars on the road, if not the safest.

Next year, it will be a different story.

All I know is I was driving to the gym from work today in my red R-Design... Feeling all good, opening it up, blasting the music... Then when I get to the gym I see another S60 pulling out and I think, I'm gonna give them a little salute... When I finally see the driver... It's the sweetest little grandma smiling right at me because I waited patiently for her to take her time and pull out who's this car for again?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Volvo's Limited FootPrint - Why Volvo Drivers are "unique"

Quote Originally Posted by HogKiller View Post
      I don't think that Volvo's are any more expensive to maintain than any other car. In the past 2 years we've put in about $4k on front end parts (struts, lower ball joints, lower control arms) also brakes/rotors on our 2004 XC70 with 90k miles. Given the roads in CA, I'm surprised it only cost that much.

We've been Volvo owners since 1977 with our 245, it brought our son home from the hospital, our second one was a 850 that I made a huge mistake and sold when we bought our XC70 in 2004. My wife had/has a broken back from a motorcycle accident and we're both a touch older. She finds it hard to get into a car that too low (my SLK Sport) or too high, plus getting older means we don't climb well. We are just about to flip the switch on a new car, and being long term Volvo owners are 95% leaning toward Volvo. We don't care about all of the bells and whistles but boy were we ticked when Volvo canceled the XC70, LOVE the XC70, perfect size, hauls anything, comfortable on long trips, huge gas tank. Now we're stuck with 'maybe' a V60 AWD, a XC60 AWD (wife isn't fond of it) or the V90 with is a touch larger than the XC70 and she doesn't want something larger. I will say we've looked at Audi, Mercedes and VW. The key to all of these is ease of getting in and out and seat comfort. I'm concerned that Volvo Cars is now owned by a Chinese company. Their new small Volvo is going to be make in China. Living in Silicon Valley, there are a few dealers and a LOT of XC 60's and XC 90's on the road here.
      Check out the new V90 CC, which is in showrooms this summer.

KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

Yes, the design of this car came in 2010. With a few model years in between regular model years, it is 8 model years old.

The Nav does its job very well. I love in Southern California, the land of congestion and ever changing traffic conditions. The system never got me lost, always guided me correctly and adapted to whatever traffic conditions were thrown at it.

Aside from that, it happens to be one of the safest cars on the road, if not the safest.

Next year, it will be a different story.
      A. The Navigation on the S60 (Which is What I'm Referencing) is terrible elsewhere. I live in a major city and have only had the GPS tell me "Right or Left" on a few occasions. The Navigation Software is subpar. Volvo contracts out the software, but whomever designs it, needs a lesson from Garmin. I got my first GPS ~2002 or ~2003 and that sucker could tell me on which side of the road I found my destination. My S60 GPS CANNOT!

B. MY 15.5 is a very safe car. I bought another Volvo as a direct result of Volvo's safety record. My Previous Volvo got hit between 65-100 MPH by an SUV in a Highspeed Pursuit.

C. What do you mean, Next Year will be a Different Story??? As in they are going to made in China and the quality is going to suffer? Or the 2018's are redesigned?

D. I get that the S60 reflects a model that was first released in 2010. However, the S60 has gone through several iterations. Generation 1 was Sensus Touch. Generation 2 is the Infotainment, Blind Spot, and Tech Packages not available in earlier models. So clearly Volvo has the capacity to add new tech to their vehicles. It wouldn't have been hard to toss in an S90 style tablet into an S60 for a superior experience versus a lackluster one.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG ACH View Post
      All I know is I was driving to the gym from work today in my red R-Design... Feeling all good, opening it up, blasting the music... Then when I get to the gym I see another S60 pulling out and I think, I'm gonna give them a little salute... When I finally see the driver... It's the sweetest little grandma smiling right at me because I waited patiently for her to take her time and pull out who's this car for again?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
      Grandma has good taste....Please don't kill me when I joke...But I've always Said the Elderly Always Drive Very Big Cars or Very Safe Cars. That way when they hit someone, You might die, but they will go on to DRIVE and LIVE another 20 years!

Quote Originally Posted by KCCM View Post
      Check out the new V90 CC, which is in showrooms this summer.

Actually, my dealer had one in the showroom when I had my car in for service last week, so they may already be available.

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast