R&R V8 Transmission? Step by Step?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

R&R V8 Transmission? Step by Step?

Hi guys. I'm usually hanging out at tbricks.

So I just bought a 2006 XC90 with the V8. It has 104k miles on it and is in great condition inside and out. I bought it knowing it had tranny problems, and it turns out the front pump is bad. It whizzes in neutral and won't go forward or back. No pressure.

So I've googled a bunch but I haven't found any helpful posts or walkthroughs of removing the TF80 from a V8 XC90. Does anybody have any helpful links? Are there even any photos of somebody pulling a TF80?

Appreciate any help!

Oh, and btw I got it so cheap that even with a transmission rebuild it will be a good deal still! I paid 2300.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Removing the transmission is about the same work as removing the transfer case ...

Support engine, disconnect exhaust, lower control arms, remove right driveshaft, steering rack, disconnect prop shaft and drop sub frame (biggie) ... not for the timid. Approximately 9 hrs to get to the transmission.

2009 XC90 R-Design

You could also get a "subscription" to VIDA and print out the repair instructions. VIDA will usually come with DiCE units you can get on ebay, amazon, aliexpress.
      I've seen guys do as PAX5 and I've also seen some drop the whole engine with trans on the subframe and then proceed to "pluck" the transmission off the side.
      2006 S60 T5 Silver/Charcoal, Factory Body Kit, 18" BBS's, Hilton Stage 2.5, IPD Intercooler, Green Injectors, OBX 3" Catless DP, Elevate 3" Exhaust, IPD Sways, H&R Springs, R Gauges, Burnouts @45mph
      2004 XC90 FWD B5254T4 R engine with K24, R Gauges, Stage 3 Hilton Tune- FOR SALE
      2008 V8 Sport Passion/Offblack

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Dropping the entire engine requires that you also disconnect all of the fluid/fuel lines and wiring harness ... lots of work.

But the advantage is that you can do all kinds of preventive maintenance, like spark plugs, serpentine belt and bearings, etc etc
      Last edited by PAX5; 03-10-2017 at 09:48 PM.
      2009 XC90 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
      Dropping the entire engine requires that you also disconnect all of the fluid/fuel lines and wiring harness ... lots of work.

But the advantage is that you can do all kinds of preventive maintenance, like spark plugs, serpentine belt and bearings, etc etc
      Hmmm. On one hand this truck is brand new to me. I need to stage zero the thing and this sounds appealing. On the other hand, I'll be doing all this in my driveway. Dropping the whole engine and subframe would be quite the balancing act.

I have done transmissions and motor swaps before, but the AWD and sideways V8 changes things a little! lol

Quote Originally Posted by HiSPL View Post
      Hmmm. On one hand this truck is brand new to me. I need to stage zero the thing and this sounds appealing. On the other hand, I'll be doing all this in my driveway. Dropping the whole engine and subframe would be quite the balancing act.

I have done transmissions and motor swaps before, but the AWD and sideways V8 changes things a little! lol
      If you have the time, the tools and the patience. you can do it. Volvo uses high quality fasteners, you'll enjoy taking them apart, but be prepared for some odd sizes, like 15mm and 18mm ... Exhaust studs and nuts will be frozen/rusted. You want to be careful removing them because the double cat is expensive. Replace all nuts and bolts that have torque settings with Volvo OE. There is no substitute and it is cheap insurance. You only want to do this once!

Search/contact for "oneofakind" on this forum. He did it in his garage (starting at post #278 - http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...90-today/page8). His hoist is "available" ...

Here's a quote from him:

Quote Originally Posted by oneofakind View Post
      I can confirm there isn't enough space with the subframe in place. There's only maybe 2-3 inches, and at least 5 inches are needed to pull the VB. Sure you could get the cover off, but then you'd still be stuck. Raising the engine without disconnecting any of the lines poses a serious threat (bending, crimping, etc.). You could raise the engine, but you'd have to remove any lines that aren't rubber. My opinion is that dropping the subframe will be easiest. If you have a lift and lifting table available, it would take much less time than what mine took. I was dealing with about 4 inches of clearance above my face, so dealing with 2 jacks, 6 stands, and 3 dozen tools ate up time like no other. Just make sure that you let the chemical gasket set up for 24 hours before you add fluid. You don't need it to push out and have to take the subframe off again.
      Last edited by PAX5; 03-11-2017 at 06:07 AM.
      2009 XC90 R-Design

I only replaced the valve body though, I didn't pull the whole transmission. It may be a good starting place, but your symptoms sound way different from a failed VB. If you're going to be doing something this in depth, I would highly recommend you invest in a VIDA unit. I was going to make a write up for replacing the VB, but decided against it because you could get into some serious trouble if you missed a step or didn't understand a step perfectly. I'll snap pictures for people all day long over hearing that my instructions caused a fuel line to shear or worse. I also decided to keep the engine support I made because it'll come in handy in the future. But what you see in that picture is all it needs. A couple 4x4 and 2x4 cut to the right length, 2 eye-bolts, 2 rings, large washers sunk a little ways into the wood, and nuts to secure it. Took me 10 minutes to make and held firm for the week+ the engine was only supported by that. Feel free to send me a PM for more information and pictures!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

Quote Originally Posted by oneofakind View Post
      I only replaced the valve body though, I didn't pull the whole transmission. It may be a good starting place, but your symptoms sound way different from a failed VB. If you're going to be doing something this in depth, I would highly recommend you invest in a VIDA unit. I was going to make a write up for replacing the VB, but decided against it because you could get into some serious trouble if you missed a step or didn't understand a step perfectly. I'll snap pictures for people all day long over hearing that my instructions caused a fuel line to shear or worse. I also decided to keep the engine support I made because it'll come in handy in the future. But what you see in that picture is all it needs. A couple 4x4 and 2x4 cut to the right length, 2 eye-bolts, 2 rings, large washers sunk a little ways into the wood, and nuts to secure it. Took me 10 minutes to make and held firm for the week+ the engine was only supported by that. Feel free to send me a PM for more information and pictures!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
      Awesome, thanks.

I am working on the Vida now. I have 2 laptops I could use, but neither has enough HD space and I can't wipe either one of then clean.

I might buy a cheap one from craigslist and dedicate it to Vida. There's actually a toughbook for sale right now in my town.

The above engine support is simple enough to make. Although I still haven't decided whether I'll keep the motor in place or drop the whole thing.

Dropping the whole engine, trans, steering rack on the subframe you really would need a lift to get enough clearance as the car would need to be raised a few feet. It really doesn't take long to do it that way. I've seen them dropped in less than two hours but then there is still a lot to take apart even after its out. Exhaust manifolds still have to come off iirc to access two bell housing bolts. Would also be a great time to replace the alternator though
      Either way you will be busy.
      2006 S60 T5 Silver/Charcoal, Factory Body Kit, 18" BBS's, Hilton Stage 2.5, IPD Intercooler, Green Injectors, OBX 3" Catless DP, Elevate 3" Exhaust, IPD Sways, H&R Springs, R Gauges, Burnouts @45mph
      2004 XC90 FWD B5254T4 R engine with K24, R Gauges, Stage 3 Hilton Tune- FOR SALE
      2008 V8 Sport Passion/Offblack

Is the TF80 from the 3.2's the same thing?

I may try to buy one from a junkyard to swap. If it's the same that opens up my choices!

From what I remember when I did mine in my "driveway":

- Hold the engine from above (as per one of the previously posted pictures)
      - Remove radiator (otherwise it's very very hard to remove the exhaust header, possible but difficult)
      - unfasten the exhaust headers bolts (both sides)
      - remove exhaust flex under the subframe
      - you need also to unbolt the flexplate / torque converter assembly by rotating the flexplate with a flat blade screwdriver and undoing the bolts.
      - drain transmission
      - remove subframe
      - remove angle gear (and passenger side axle)
      - remove bolts securing transmission to engine - better use something to support the tranny as it's heeeavy!

since you're there... change the rear crank seal.
      2007 S60R M66 - Sonic Blue and Atacama

Quote Originally Posted by HiSPL View Post
      Is the TF80 from the 3.2's the same thing?

I may try to buy one from a junkyard to swap. If it's the same that opens up my choices!
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post5039577

Let us know if you are able to make the swap.
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 175k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 110k

different bellhousing pattern. this tf80sc is exclusive to the v8
      2007 S60R M66 - Sonic Blue and Atacama

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements