Magnaflow muffler details wanted... Is this Genuine??
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Magnaflow muffler details wanted... Is this Genuine??

So today I finally was able to get my S60 R-Design to a custom muffler shop to replace the muffler with a Magnaflow Camaro muffler. The exhaust shop was recommended by another mechanic I know so I was feeling pretty confident and this is something I've been planning to do since I got the car last year. Now I'm wondering if I got an actual Magnaflow muffler, or some other brand. My concern is that there is no Magnaflow brand stamped on the actual muffler. Does anyone on here know if all Magnaflow mufflers have their name stamped on them?
      Ti (Ty) - 2013 S60 R-Design
      Gunnar - 2013 C30 T5 - bought new and traded in
      Thor - 2004 XC70 (225k and going strong!)

Yeah, I guess I'm a Volvo guy... ;-)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by passleft View Post
      So today I finally was able to get my S60 R-Design to a custom muffler shop to replace the muffler with a Magnaflow Camaro muffler. The exhaust shop was recommended by another mechanic I know so I was feeling pretty confident and this is something I've been planning to do since I got the car last year. Now I'm wondering if I got an actual Magnaflow muffler, or some other brand. My concern is that there is no Magnaflow brand stamped on the actual muffler. Does anyone on here know if all Magnaflow mufflers have their name stamped on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered mine from Amazon so it came in the Magnaflow box with the original papers. I'll have to take a look at it or pictures I have to see if it actually has the name stamped on it. I Will post again with an update.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Im pretty sure magnaflow stamps all their mufflers. It could be stamped on the other side. The side facing the car and not the street. Get in touch with Magnaflow and ask them but Im almost 100% sure they stamp them all.

EDIT
      =====

BTW I emailed them on your behalf, lets see what they say
      Last edited by damian015; 03-11-2017 at 07:08 AM.
      2013 R-Design CPO Rebel Blue

Hows the sound?

Quote Originally Posted by damian015 View Post
      Hows the sound?
      The sound is pretty decent, but I'm assuming any muffler half the size of the original would sound good at first. I'm concerned about the longevity of the muffler and if having the sound i expect in the longrun.

I was able to call Magnaflow yesterday and if it's the 12267 muffler it should have their logo on 2 sides, but it may be possible it's a different model.

Judging by the quality of the welds I'm betting that's not a genuine MF

Just went and looked at it. I got the 12265 and it does say Magnaflow on the bottom (visible) side.
      It has the MF logo and also says magnaflow.

OK, it's not snowing today, i got out under the car and checked all over there's no logo or name branded on the muffler, but a quick search based on the part number on the receipt is that this is a AP Exhaust Xlerator - a $50 muffler, at best, not the $139 he listed on the receipt! UGH.

I called the guy and confronted him, he said it's manufactured by Magnaflow, but can't prove it. I told him I wanted a refund, he said instead he'll order the magnaflow brand and get back to me.THIS SUCKS!!!!

OK, it's not snowing today, i got out under the car and checked all over there's no logo or name branded on the muffler, but a quick search based on the part number on the receipt is that this is a AP Exhaust Xlerator - a $50 muffler, at best, not the $139 he listed on the receipt! UGH.

I called the guy and confronted him, he said it's manufactured by Magnaflow, but can't prove it. I told him I wanted a refund, he said instead he'll order the magnaflow brand and get back to me.THIS SUCKS!!!!
      WOW... I'm sorry to hear about that bull crap you have to go through. I've NEVER heard of that brand that supposedly Magnaflow manufacturers. I hope you get this stuff sorted out asap. My Magnaflow clearly has the brand stamp on it. I was one of the first(maybe the first but can't confirm) on here to pull the trigger on the Magnaflow since at the time of my install, there weren't many options. Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD
      "what to do next?"

yeah, I'm sure that was just more of his BS... He listed on the receipt "Magnaflow Muffler SS" but the part number was XS2265. That part number shows up as this online... Definitely not Magnaflow quality...
      https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aph-xs2265

I think I'm going to stop payment and try and find another shop. Since this guy is listed on the Magnaflow website and lists Magnaflow on their website; I think I'll see what Magnaflow thinks about all this too.

yeah, I'm sure that was just more of his BS... He listed on the receipt "Magnaflow Muffler SS" but the part number was XS2265. That part number shows up as this online... Definitely not Magnaflow quality...
      https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aph-xs2265

I think I'm going to stop payment and try and find another shop. Since this guy is listed on the Magnaflow website and lists Magnaflow on their website; I think I'll see what Magnaflow thinks about all this too.
      Make it happen dude. This kind of BS from shops and mechanics needs to stop. Glad you caught this

The dirty welds was enough for me yikes...regardless if it was a magnaflow or not! ****ty you have to waste your time going through all this BS.

Make it happen dude. This kind of BS from shops and mechanics needs to stop. Glad you caught this
      +1

Fuuuuuuuuck this ****. There is nothing I hate more than shops of any sort trying to get over on folks. Too bad for them they had an eagle-eyed enthusiast on their hands this time

2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

The welds on the muffler itself are pretty nice looking. The welds done by your shop are ugly but probably not going to cause any problems. The Summit/AP muffler is stainless so what's the worry? AP exhaust makes quality stuff but isn't as pricey as Magnaflow. Magnaflow can be overpriced imo. I have bought AP clamps and pipes before and it was always good quality. A lot of exhaust out there is made by Walker brand and re-branded by other companies. Walker makes most of replacement exhaust parts on the market.

I know I may have a low post count on this board but I've done my own exhaust work on multiple vehicles. Including welding and custom work. I'm just saying this so people don't think I'm just regurgitating what's been said or read online.

Having said all that, you were definitely misled. I wouldn't be too happy about that and would have that taken care of. I stopped dealing with auto shops when I was 17 after being ripped off by a Nissan dealer. After that I vowed never to let another soul touch my vehicles. I do however let dealers take care of warranty items on new vehicles. For a while I had to let shops handle exhaust work until I was threatened to be shot (Seriously!! He was off his meds) by a redneck on Belmont, NC. After that I bought a welder and taught myself how to weld.

I wish you the best on trying to get this taken care of. You may have to threaten them with legal action. They are definitely guilty of misleading you and gouging you on the price. I'm sure if you do this they'll come clean so they don't get sued.

Whether or not it's a well-built muffler, I'd want to know that it was an efficient design, internally. Not all aftermarket mufflers flow the same. Some control tone and volume with a series of baffles which basically play pingpong with exhaust flow and sound waves. These mufflers may not all have the same level of R&D and may sound racier than stock but in fact flow worse than the stock muffler. Others are more of a straight through design and control sound with fiberglass packing outside of a perforated tube, which I would imagine would flow much better than a baffled muffler and potentially yield a little extra power, rather than potentially less power than stock. I don't know how the specific Magnaflow you thought you bought is constructed or how well it flows compared with the stock muffler, but I certainly wouldn't assume the cheapo aftermarket muffler the shop chose was selected to have peak efficiency in mind. They put it there because it sounded ok, it fit, they could get ahold of it easily, and it yielded a better profit margin than the Magnaflow you specified.

These guys could give a rat's ass if you lost 10hp if it meant they could get an extra $50 out of you by trying to sneak this past you, the trusting customer. Shady mother-fudgecrackers. If you care at all about power and not just tone, all the more reason to look closely at what you ended up with, and what you want to replace it with, if anything. It's quite possible this product is ok and constructed similarly to the Magnaflow, in which case it might not be worth the hassle to do more than get the difference refunded and then write them a duesy of bad Yelp review for your own satisfaction. But it's also possible it's a restrictive piece of crap.
      Last edited by Bunnspeed; 03-14-2017 at 01:05 PM.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

Ok, so here's an update... some back and forth on Monday. He ordered the Magnaflow 12265 and it was to be delivered today. I'm currently sitting in the waiting room staring with the car on the lift while he's replacing the muffler with the NEW-IN-A-BOX with-a-warrantee-card-and-all Magnaflow muffler... fingers crossed but it seems like it's going well; he's welding it all on now as I type.

Great, I'm glad he stepped up and did the right thing.
      I ordered mine from Amazon for $100 shipping included.
      Let us know how you like it and if it's different from the first one.

My crystal ball tells me the sketchy exhaust guy will attempt to toss in some additional charges before you drive out of there...
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

There should be a discount or partial refund somewhere there for the headache! Sketchy is as sketchy does!

I actually was pretty hard on the phone with him and told him I wanted it in writing and signature exactly what he was going to do before he got to touch the car, I backed down on the written when I got there and he was apologetic...
      I looked at the muffler in the box, we talked about how you could see a difference just looking through the pipes. And he spent almost an hour cutting off the cheap muffler and welding on the magnaflow.

It's a massive difference in sound. The Magnaflow has almost no Droning noise at cruising speed, the AP was ridiculous. And wide open throttle now has a nice guttural feel to it that is exactly what I was hoping for.

Thanx for the help and advice. I'll try and get some videos, audio clips posted.

Happy ending. Thanks for posting. Good to know there's another less costly yet quality option (just find a trustworthy shop). How much was the original labor charge?
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      Happy ending. Thanks for posting. Good to know there's another less costly yet quality option (just find a trustworthy shop). How much was the original labor charge?
      Total cost was $239 + tax - 139 for the muffler, 100 for the tailpipes; his explanation is parts and labor in that cost. He re-used the original tailpipes, and remade the end pieces with some scrap stainless he had from a previous job.
      Last edited by passleft; 03-17-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: added clarification

Im pretty sure magnaflow stamps all their mufflers. It could be stamped on the other side. The side facing the car and not the street. Get in touch with Magnaflow and ask them but Im almost 100% sure they stamp them all.

EDIT
      =====

BTW I emailed them on your behalf, lets see what they say
      FYI, I messaged Magnaflow on Facebook and received a few responses, here was their last about how they would deal with the shop...

Hi Paul, we would recommend returning to the installer to have them correct the work and use the muffler you wanted. We do our best to work with reputable shops, but unfortunately we cannot control their customer service or the way they do business. If you can provide us with the name of the shop, we can make a note of it and take further actions if we get any other complaints from them. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Good to see you got a favorable outcome in the end! Enjoy your new Magnaflow! It's pretty quiet at first but will get louder over time. Let it break in and enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD
      "what to do next?"

FYI, I messaged Magnaflow on Facebook and received a few responses, here was their last about how they would deal with the shop...

Hi Paul, we would recommend returning to the installer to have them correct the work and use the muffler you wanted. We do our best to work with reputable shops, but unfortunately we cannot control their customer service or the way they do business. If you can provide us with the name of the shop, we can make a note of it and take further actions if we get any other complaints from them. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.
      So almost 2 weeks later and I finally received a response to my message I sent from a link on their website, it makes me wish I bought a Borla:

I'm sorry you got a muffle that was not our fault, but there's nothing I can do from my end. You will have to take that up with the installer.

Best Regards,

Matt Moghaddam | Lead Tech Line Associate
      O 800.990.0905 | F 949.858.3600
      1901 Corporate Centre Drive, Oceanside CA 92056
      www.MagnaFlow.com | @MagnaFlow | FB/MagnaFlow

Wow, that's super crappy. Way to make it clear that they could GAF about what you went through. Zero attempt at being professional or creating a refined customer service experience. You would have had a better experience telling a stoned 19yo working the counter at a gas station about that Magnaflow dealer.
      13.1 at 101 mph

That sucks. I've been running magnaflow and dynomax mufflers for years. They have great products. I didn't know their customer service was lax. I'm sure they would respond differently to their dealers.

If you think those are bad welds, you should see the garbage that an exhaust shop did on my vehicle after charging me $450. They don't expect you to get under the car, and so it's worth a gamble on their end. I usually do all vehicle work myself, and so for the most part, I don't have a good sense of how much labor is.
      I spec'd out and bought a 3" magnaflow muffler, and took it to a random shop. I gave them one specific instruction: create a new pipe to connect to the muffler from about where the axle is. My plan was to evetually ditch the resonator and connect to the new piping. I even wrote it down on the paper and illustrated on the bloody paper exactly what I wanted done. I went to the shop to pickup the vehicle, and this over-hyper idiot jumped in my brand new vehicle and started revving it like he did the the SRT before it, to the excitement of that owner. I told him to get the hell out of my vehicle and it took some restraint to not deck him in the face. I asked for the oem section that had been cut out, and they said they had trashed it (all this within a 6 hour span). I restrained myself, paid, and left. About 2 weeks later I was under the car and I noticed the crappy welds and the oem pipe connected to them. I was furious! The system didn't leak, and since it's hidden, I didn't make a deal about the welds. The fact that they charged me so much and reused the oem pipe inflamed me. When I went back, the idiots denied receiving such instructions. I asked for the paperwork which would have the illustration and that was conveniently missing. The guy admitted to receiving the instructions from me but blamed his welder for the screwup. He eventually said that if I have any issues in the future, I could return to him and he will fix it. I could have forced them to change it all then and there, but when you're dealing with that kind of stupidity, the best resolve is to go somewhere else.

FYI, all name brand mufflers always come stamped.
      I dislike wagons, and don't particularly care for Volvo's in general. I'm not a fan of any one brand.

Currently trying to pilot the fastest P3 S60.

hmm interesting
      2003 mustang COBRA ( SVT 10th anniversary ) born on 6-26-03/ 4634 of 5082 of verts & 955th of 2003 SVT 10th ANNIV edition`s
      2006 s40 2.4i fwd

my new baby!!! black on black 2012 s60 T6 awd

It's a massive difference in sound. The Magnaflow has almost no Droning noise at cruising speed, the AP was ridiculous. And wide open throttle now has a nice guttural feel to it that is exactly what I was hoping for.
      What's the sound level like at cruising speeds and low acceleration? Have any videos?
      I'd like to do something like this on my XC60 T6, but it can't be too loud.. Fiancée absolutely hates riding in my Subaru with the smallest oval muffler Magnaflow makes lol

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements