2016 V60 T5 or 2015 T6?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2016 V60 T5 or 2015 T6?

Good day everyone,

Long time lurker and first time poster. Please go easy on me if some of my questions have already been answered before!

Always loved Volvo's. My first car was a 2003 S40 (remember that??). I got rid of it for an Audi A4 and I've had a whole journey of car buying since then. Haven't gone back to Volvo since then though (I got really close last year with a XC70 T6, but wifey kiboshed it last second for a LR Discovery Sport). That was the SINGLE biggest mistake I've ever made in car buying. Anyways enough of that crap.....

So I currently drive a 2014 Acura MDX. Got it after I disposed of the Disco Sport after 8 months of ownership hell. I suppose I drank the reliability kool-aid, but my MDX was NOTHING like people described Acura: Suspension issues, lots of TSB for little fixes. If I wanted to put up with headaches I would've stuck to the Disco Sport!

Now I have an opportunity. There are several V60's from my local dealer on sale. Here's the break down:

1) 2016 T5 AWD Premier - white on black
      - 10k on it (was a demo i think?)
      - Tech package, BLIS, Parking sensors front and back, rearview camera

2) 2015 T6 Premier Plus - white on black
      - 10k on it (Manager's car I think?)
      - Tech package, climate package, BLIS, Xenons

I can probably get the T5 for about 37k and the T6 would be closer to 42k. Both will come with CPO warranty up to 160k km.

As you can see, the T6 despite being one year older is going for about 5k more. I would love to have owners of both T5 and T6's cars chime in to give me their take on the cars.

A bit of a B/G to help you guys/girls help me:

- 2 kids (3.5 years and 8 months) with 2 car seats, one rear facing (until early summer)
      - Wife currently has a M-B E250 and is ok with the space in that
      - My primary car before the Disco Sport was a VW Golf R (MK6)
      - Driving about 45km one way to work with mostly highway driving
      - I HAVE considered the V60 CC or even the XC60

ANY help would be appreciated. On the other hand, if anyone on here is considering a M-B E250, LR Disco Sport, Acura MDX or VW Golf R, I can certainly provide my experiences with them.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Anyone? ?

We have a 2015.5 T5 Platinum and love it. The 15.5 has similar Sensus electronics to the 2016. That makes a difference in my family.
      2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5, crystal pearl, platinum/tech/BLIS, July 2015
      2012 XC60 R Design, electric silver, off-black, platinum/climate/tech/BLIS, OSD in Nov 2011
      2013 Jaguar XJ

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Not sure if you're comparing the newer or older T5/T6 drivetrains. I can't comment on the Drive-E engines (4 cylinder) as I've never driven one. I did test drive an older T5 (5 cylinder) and I own, and therefor drive frequently, the older T6 (6 cylinder). I was quite taken with power delivery of the T6 and that was it for me. The T5 is no slouch in the power department but I disliked the raucous nature of the engine. Others find the "character" of the T5 preferable. The T5's are also less thirsty at the pump. If you're less interested in the performance and prefer saving some money on gas then the T5 is your guy. It's a great engine, no doubt. If you'd rather pull away quicker (gas mileage be damned) then opt for the T6. There seems to be more aftermarket products available/coming soon for T6 owners if you're into that.

T5 is a nice engine, but doesn't come close to the T6 in smoothness and power. Had three T5 AWD Volvos, beginning with a '98 V70 and ending with an '07 V70R, but now have a '16 V60 T6 RD.
      Price is a little high (about what I paid for mine new a year ago November) so talk the dealer down and/or get them to throw in a P* tune. The new V60 is coming later this year, and it will be more fuel efficient and have lots more self-driving features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

Thank you for everyone's opinion so far! I guess I should clarify that I absolutely have no interest in the new Drive E engines at all. I would like to stick with the tried and true engines.

As for the price, keep in mind it's in Canadian Dollars as I am in Toronto.

I own a T6 (6) and a T6(4) both Rdesign. Long story short, I prefer the T6 (6) any day. Much more torque and overall responsiveness. That said there is nothing wrong with the bullet proof T5 (5).
      '98 V70 T5 (Auto) Currently 427,000 miles on car, now my daughter's.
      '99 V70 T5 M Purchased from JRL: 207,000 miles. future mods coming
      2013 S60 T6 Rdesign Mine
      2016 XC60 T6 Rdesign Wife's

Quote Originally Posted by ROTH View Post
      Not sure if you're comparing the newer or older T5/T6 drivetrains. I can't comment on the Drive-E engines (4 cylinder) as I've never driven one. I did test drive an older T5 (5 cylinder) and I own, and therefor drive frequently, the older T6 (6 cylinder). I was quite taken with power delivery of the T6 and that was it for me. The T5 is no slouch in the power department but I disliked the raucous nature of the engine. Others find the "character" of the T5 preferable. The T5's are also less thirsty at the pump. If you're less interested in the performance and prefer saving some money on gas then the T5 is your guy. It's a great engine, no doubt. If you'd rather pull away quicker (gas mileage be damned) then opt for the T6. There seems to be more aftermarket products available/coming soon for T6 owners if you're into that.
      +1

Drive the T5 and the T6 and choose the one you like best.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD Sport Suspension, 19 inch Bor wheels, Premium Plus, Silver
      Previous: 2003 Passat 1.8T wagon, 1989 MX-6 GT 4WS, 1979 GS-1000E

The standalone Vida isn't compatible with 2016 so if you like doing your own troubleshooting then pick the 2015. And the six cylinder will move that V60.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2016 S60 Cross Country

I have a 2004 XC70 with the T5 engine. That thing has 230,000 miles on it and other than a minor oil leaking around a seal, that thing has zero issues. A few minor tune-ups over the years and some basic maintenance, but an absolutely awesome engine to move that heavy beast. Last year I traded in my 2013 C30 for a 2013 S60 R-Design with the 6-cylinder T6 (polestar tune, etc). and that car with that engine is an absolute blast to drive!! I wanted more of a "sport car" feel so I specifically held out for an R-Design, with everything that offered, but I did look at a "regular" T6 - AWD S60 and those were all enjoyable cars and had quite a bit of pep. Mind you, when I went shopping, I wanted the throw-me-into-the-back-of-the-seat kind of drive that the R-Design offers... Either T5 or T6 engine does the V60 justice and is more enjoyable than the T5 4-cyl loaner I drove a few times.

So, yes. drive both and if you enjoy the T5 you'll get better mileage and less spills in the back seat -- at some point with the T6 you'll get the polestar tune, find the manual shift mode, and the sippy cups will go flying! ;-)
      Ti (Ty) - 2013 S60 R-Design
      Gunnar - 2013 C30 T5 - bought new and traded in
      Thor - 2004 XC70 (225k and going strong!)

Yeah, I guess I'm a Volvo guy... ;-)

The price seems pretty high on the T6, especially since it's not even an RD.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former)

Umm, so far I think one of the common theme is that the T6 in my case seems a bit overpriced. Would anyone be willing to share (or PM) with me the price they paid, and when? Preferably someone from the Greater Toronto area.

I've driven the T6 with the XC70 and it was so smooth and fast! And without the Polestar tune it can actually take regular gas. I can't wait to test drive the V60 with it, considering it's smaller and lighter than the XC70!!

In regards to the T5, I assume the performance would be adequate for most daily driving? I'm assuming it also takes regular gas?

Appreciate all the help!

Is that strictly a troubleshooting tool or I can actually tweak the car with it like VAGCOM?

The inline 6 should probably get premium fuel (especially if it has the PoleStar tune).
      But, I put premium (91 Octane in California) in my 5 cylinder turbo Volvos, too. These
      cars are not the best choices for fuel economy -- you probably figured that out.

>> My primary car before the Disco Sport was a VW Golf R (MK6)

This kind of argues for the T6

I love my 2011 T6. There have been threads here along the line of "what do you really
      like about your S60" (as well as what you don't) and the inline 6 is often listed high as the
      best thing about the car. I agree and if you can get the SI6 (Short Inline 6) I'd opt for that.

Xenon lights are also nice and worth $1K and can't really be retrofitted. Rear camera
      can be retrofitted.

Prices seem OK after conversion to US $ ($42K is $31K U.S.) with the CPO. I assume the
      10K is kilometers so 6K miles. I think there might still be some room to negotiate.

Also, nobody is really making inline 6 cylinder engines anymore (BMW is left and it
      was only Volvo and BMW until recently). I think you should own one at some point
      in your life (but they say the same thing about Alfa Romeo's, too, and I'm not so
      sure about that )
      2011 S60 T6, Flamenco Red / Biege, Polestar Tune, JBL MS-8 DSP and sub-woofer;
      2006 XC90 Ocean Race 'Big Blue'; 1998 V70 T5.
      Previous (sold): 95 855 GLT; 98 S70 T5M; 2000 S40.

I was going to say the prices are too high, and then I read down and it sounds like you are in Toronto Canada (I'm in Vancouver) so now it makes a bit more sense.

I have a 2011 T6 and if I could do it all again NOW, I'd still take the T6 inline-6. Why? Because it's a sweet engine, and getting rarer. I told myself I'll be forced to have a 2.0L 4 banger like everyone else for my next car in a few years so for now I'll enjoy the 6 while I can!

I have driven maybe T5s, including convincing my brother to buy a 2015 S60 T5 AWD, and while that engine is nice, and has a character all its own, it's no T6.

Also, the Xenons are worth it, and CPO will take care of you nicely for the foreseeable future. I'm still on CPO until later this year

Go for the T6!!! Offer em $37000 and settle at $39999. Great car. I love the V60 more but they didn't exist when I bought mine. I also have 2 kids with 2 car seats in the S60.
      2011 Volvo S60 T6 AWD, Flamenco Red / Beechwood / Urbane / PCC / Dynamic...now WITH driver's lumbar adjustment!

This is why I like the Volvo community. Genuine people who are more concerned about practicality and less about who's got the bigger internet pen1s.

I'm going to try to work the dealer down to 40k for the T6. I know he wants 43k, but I'm not giving that to him. That being said, it seems that if I wanted anything more than a turbo 4, this would be my last chance in a very long time...

The good side of it all is that even if I couldn't get the T6 down to where I want, it seems that going with the T5 5cyl is still a great choice

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of car seats do you have in your S60? Are they forward facing? How often do you carry a passenger in the front seat? And have you tried squeezing a child (say a 8 year old) in the middle of 2 car seats?

2016 V60 T5 or 2015 T6?

Quote Originally Posted by kenchan View Post

I'm going to try to work the dealer down to 40k for the T6. I know he wants 43k, but I'm not giving that to him. That being said, it seems that if I wanted anything more than a turbo 4, this would be my last chance in a very long time...

The good side of it all is that even if I couldn't get the T6 down to where I want, it seems that going with the T5 5cyl is still a great choice
      Don't know you were in TO as well, so CAD $42k is only a little expensive (paid CAD $54k for my '16 V60 3.0 RD). Basically, it's more like a BMW 335 X-drive Touring for a 328 price.
      The SI6 is 'old school' in all the best ways. Just did 1000 km south today with the family on our way to Florida (28C vs -12 in TO with 25 cm snow coming) and nothing about the car is tiring or uncomfortable. The only car we had that may have been a little more comfortable for this trip was a Jaguar S-Type V8 some years ago, but it wasn't nearly as good in the snow, and it certainly used more premium fuel!
      I'll keep this until the Tesla Model III comes in and maybe beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

Damn you're in Florida? I'm sooo jealous!! Wish I can be somewhere warm now...

If you don't mind, could you tell me what was the mileage you got on the trip? I would expect something like high 20's MPG? Is your car fully loaded with stuff and passengers? How do you find the space? I see that you mentioned you had a V70R before, is the passenger space a lot smaller? I know the trunk is quite a bit smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
      If you don't mind me asking, what kind of car seats do you have in your S60? Are they forward facing? How often do you carry a passenger in the front seat? And have you tried squeezing a child (say a 8 year old) in the middle of 2 car seats?
      Yes, I have one forward facing car seat and one booster seat in the back. I usually do not carry a front passenger (Daddy drops kids at school in the morning). However, when necessary, we can carry an adult passenger, we just ensure the forward facing seat is on the passenger side. It was harder but the rear facing seat does fit...but thankfully that phase didn't last long!

And yes, a small child fits between the front facing child seat and the booster, but it has to be a kid under 10. Mommy sat back there once.

We did a road trip with the whole family in the S60....with snow boots, magic carpets, winter clothes, etc and it was TIGHT but we all fit. We had to take the Volvo because we were driving thru the mountains in winter. The car is a little small for that but it worked out just fine with careful packing. The V60 would be far better for a family road trip.
      2011 Volvo S60 T6 AWD, Flamenco Red / Beechwood / Urbane / PCC / Dynamic...now WITH driver's lumbar adjustment!

I have a V60CC and two kids, now 7&4, who I drop off at school as well. My wife has a Mazda CX-9 as the "Mom" car. I love it, especially the tech package, which is great for road trips. We have no space issues, even with two car seats, although we are all not tall / large people. I wholeheartedly endorse the V60 as a family car. Now for the specific debate between your two choices, I'd say go with the T5 with the additional safety features such as blis and parking sensors and camera. I find them all extremely useful.
      2016 V60CC T5 AWD Platinum. Bright Silver Metallic, Black Interior, Climate, BLIS.

My sales guy will be bringing the car to my place tomorrow and let me check it out.

I was browsing the dealers' website and found the T6 had been with them since last April. Hopefully I can negotiate a better deal on it.... but then again I guess I can't go wrong with neither the T5 Or the T6!

The new Golf R was a very strong contestant until I realize that: from this point on, if I want to buy a forced induction 4cyl, I will have plenty of choices. But if I want a L5 or L6.... this may very well be my last chance in a long time!

I drove and rode in a friend's loaner 2015? 2.0T T5 V60 and liked it in some respects but preferred my 2011 T6 3.0T in terms of feeling fast and muscular. The T5 didn't have anywhere near as aggressive a feel to it, and that's both good and bad. It rode better than my T6, and it was far quieter on the highway, with less road and wind noise, and less intrusion from outside traffic noise. It felt more buttoned-up than my T6, with far better sound deadening. It also had a smoother, albeit crappier-sounding power delivery, with a more linear throttle response (much less touchy) and also the 8 speed auto was notably better and more-refined than the lurching 6AT. That having been said, I found the car to be really bland and lacking the brawny character of my P* enhanced T6, which I find much more enjoyable to drive in spite of its rough edges. If you aren't a speed demon, a T5 might actually be a better choice, as it's easier to drive smoothly, feels peppy by ordinary car standards (not underpowered, just underwhelming yet gets up to speed easily), and it's a better appliance for long, relaxing drives with far better fuel economy to boot (my 3.0T has never done better than 21mpg on a tank, and usually ends up in the 18-20mpg range as calculated at fillup time). If you regulary go full throttle and like traveling at elevated speeds, then the T6 is the better choice. It sounds far better, too. The 2.0T doesn't sound too hot. Typical gritty 2.0T 4 pot noises, but at least they fade into the background as soon as you are at cruising speed. Both are nice cars, but the T6 feels like far more of an enthusiast car.
      Last edited by Bunnspeed; 03-13-2017 at 11:09 PM.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

Depends what exactly you are looking for in a car. Reading your posts and previous vehicles, I would think that T6(6) would be the way to go for you. When I purchased mine, I had two cars to choose from .... 2015 T5 AWD, Fully loaded and 2016 T6 AWD, Premium (Canadian models are a bit different than US though). It was easy for me, after I test drove both ... T6 won. I was approaching it from purely excitement point of view and power delivery. I also figured this might easily be my last 6cyl. car (5 years from now, I doubt my next car will have to be EV or hybrid some sort mated to 4cyl.) so I could not pass it up. Fuel consumption was not on my radar really, especially since it can take regular.

So, as others have sad ... nothing wrong with either one, it just depends what is most important to you.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD (3.0)

I drove multiple T6s and T5s before I bought. I thought the T5 was nice...but 'gravelly'. It had good power, nice throttle response, etc. But it was lacking that special urge and sound. The T6 fixed all of those concerns and more. Plus it was hard to find a T5 with the Xenons here in Canada....and we should all get used to it, there will be no more I-6s soon. BMW will be the last one making them....

For guys/gals that's got the CC, do you guys find the extra ride height affects the handling or fuel economy much? I know the engine performance would be identical to a T5, and everything else is basically the same.

I'm in a similar camp as Svtquattro. Bought the wife a 2016 XC60 with a T6 about 2 years ago. Love the engine - very nice. Had an issue that took some time for the dealer to diagnose (had a run-in with a deer), and while the XC60 was in the shop, the dealership gave me a V60 T5 to drive. Fell in love with it. Crisp handling - capable powertrain. Loved the versatility of the wagon.

Fast forward about a year, and I get rear ended in my 2007 Saab 9-3. Since they had stopped manufacturing Saabs (making parts harder to find), they totaled the car. Started my search. Found a 2012 S60 T6 AWD - drove it, and fell in love. The T6 Powertrain (same as in my wife's XC60, but now carrying a lot less weight) is a wonderful engine. I agree with Svtquattro's comments that they're getting more rare. If you can get your hands on a clean used / CPO model, go for it.

As far as prices go - I think the price you mentioned is a bit high. $42K is steep. I bought a 2012 - 50K on the clock, but very clean...for about $23K. I think if you looked, you could find one for a good bit less - unless you're comfortable with $42K. There's no comparison between the T5 and T6 - 2 totally different engines. If performance is important, then the T6 is the way to go. The sport mode in the T6 is a beautiful thing.

Best advice I can give is what I would do if I were in your shoes. I'd look for a 2013-2014 model with a T6 - somewhere in the $30K range...
      Life is too short to drive an ugly car...
      2012 XC60 T6 AWD Ice White / Tan Interior [Hers]
      2012 S60 T6 AWD Ember Black Metallic...aka "Svärt Kaffe" (Black Coffee) [His]
      Roll on...

This thread is fun!

I fell in love with a loaner 2015 V60 T5 that had the Sport Package, with 19" wheels and the sport suspension. It was that lovely metallic brown colour, with Beechwood interior and of course, the near perfect V60 body and trunk.

It handled and drove SO well.....maybe the steering feel was worse than my 2011, and maybe the engine lacked the grunt, but everything else was better.

However, if it were V60 T5 vs V60 T6 it's a no brainer. Went on a quick drive through the mountains today and never have the mountain roads been so fun (first time I ever took the T6 to Whistler...ski buffs you'll know what I'm talking about).

31. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements