Parking assist issue V50 2005
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Unhappy Parking assist issue V50 2005

Hello,

I had to sign up just know to get some help troubleshooting my issue. So hello to all!
      Im from finland so using metrics.

I recently bought V50 T5 AWD 2005. It had service parking assist message when bought and verified as faulty sensor 3 with VIDA.
      I replaced the faulty sensor and the message went away, but now I have other issue.
      Parking assist does not function WHILE engine is running, which is problematic...

Assist work with IGN2 + reverse engaged (Engine not running), I get the sound from everysensor while testing them with a hand. I can also feel the clicking when running finger across the sensor.
      Assist DOES NOT work with engine running and reverse engaged. I get CONTINOUS peep, like there was something less than 30cm away. I still can feel the sensors clicking with my finger.

So this leads me to believe that there is some interference or such with the PAM. Seems that the PAM gets proper info as there is no fault codes or anything.
      So any toughts? Anyone had similar issue?

Best Regards,
      Sami

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Pump, anyone ideas?
      Its weird as CAN-bus seems to function properly. I get voltage/sensor info from the PAM when monitoring with VIDA, when running the distance info goes to 31 and stays there with the peep. But it would be really weirdly faulty module if the engine running causes it to go haywire...
      I have to check the pin voltages for the PAM in different states to see if I can find out anything.. When I have time to do so. I removed the PAM to check solderings and to get the peeping stop..

Can you do a CANbus test via VIDA? It's under diagnostics, and then I believe it's under "Network". Then run the test. Next go to vehicle fault tracing and see if any of the modules are throwing any issues. Post screenshots here as well.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don't think the US versions have a park assist option. At least, I don't and every P1 I've ever seen doesn't. So....
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I don't believe mine has park assist. I do have like 4 circle things on the bumper but I have no idea how I'd even check to see if it has park assist.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Oh.. Well..
      Weird if you have sensors but not the assist.. Message on the"infotaiment" system should tell you when park assist activates and that is when you select reverse.
      To know for sure is to remove the trunk panel from the passenger side, there should be the PAM module.
      Im sure early volvo assist are almost the same so any help from anyone would be apreciated. I will try check the CAN tests today after work..

Quote Originally Posted by evy0311 View Post
      I don't believe mine has park assist. I do have like 4 circle things on the bumper but I have no idea how I'd even check to see if it has park assist.

I think those are impact sensors, but I could be wrong.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      I think those are impact sensors, but I could be wrong.
      I think you might be right about that. Would it be easy for me to check if they're for parking sensors ? When I'm in reverse I don't have any parking assist features that one should have.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

I assume 'parking assist' would mean that there's an option for the computer to control the vehicle for tight parking situations and/or a reverse camera would be activated. I just don't think that the P1's are that complex (thank God). Automated vehicle driving systems scare the s*** out of me.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      I assume 'parking assist' would mean that there's an option for the computer to control the vehicle for tight parking situations and/or a reverse camera would be activated. I just don't think that the P1's are that complex (thank God). Automated vehicle driving systems scare the s*** out of me.
      Park assist option would mean that when in reverse, the car has an audible beep as well as displays a diagram of the car on the radio as you get closer to an object in front or behind the vehicle (which helps with parking). No reverse camera option although I am looking at adding one.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Quote Originally Posted by evy0311 View Post
      Can you do a CANbus test via VIDA? It's under diagnostics, and then I believe it's under "Network". Then run the test. Next go to vehicle fault tracing and see if any of the modules are throwing any issues. Post screenshots here as well.

There is the DICE test straight under the network tab, its not specific to PAM or any other module.
      I did some random testing, need to get pinouts for the connectors etc to do better troubleshooting and its not the most pleasant weather to work at 0 celcius.

At one point I noticed the PAM being grayed out from the module map then disconnecting the sensor connector I was able to communicate with the PAM again by updating the listing, but this was done while PAM was powered all the time so cant draw much from that. Voltages on the pins seem consistent through out so dunno what "paralyze" the PAM with disconnecting/connecting the loom.

I assume voltages from 4 pins were from the sensors, pulsing around 8-9 volts when engine not running, battery voltage being 12.1.
      These voltages were 10.5 - 11.5 when engine was running, also pulsing. Batt voltage 14.5.
      Other voltages going up slightly due the altenator voltage boost.. but nothing alarming, which made me think if the PAM is just faulty and goes nuts from higher sensor voltages?
      CANbus works ok as the module voltage gets updated OK and I dont get any communication errors.

I would count out the loom from the faulty list as it works fine when engine is not running, same with the sensors.
      PAM would be my bet at this point without better info about the connections and module relations. Only variable now seems to be higher voltage to the PAM when engine is running but I have to look up the pins and measure those to be sure, now I just made a quick scan with multimeter. I would love to get my hand on PAMs pcb circuit diagram... I have the volvos EWD software so have to take a look..
      Does not throw any codes, so screenshots wont tell much..

OH and by parking assist I just mean the peeping parking radar, as volvo calls the module PAM = Parking assist module.
      Last edited by Zeppa; 03-14-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Okay yeah I'd suspect the PAM at this point. Maybe pick up a used one on eBay or a cheaper one from FCP euro if they carry that.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Update, parking assist is now fixed!

PAM was OK.

Issue was aftermarket sensor. Had to use oscilloscope to troubleshoot this.
      Tested signals from every sensor, which were fine if the car was not running.. even then the aftermarket sensor signal was different from the OEM but not much. Soon as the car started the after market sensor went haywire.
      We added capasitor to the PAMs powerpins and hello... everything worked fine even if the engine was running. So conclusion is that the aftermarket sensor does not like the voltage supply and OEM are more tolerant to the variation/ripple etc.

So, if anyone runs to the same issue use OEM sensor or add cap to the PAM/sensors power supply.

Glad to hear this is fixed now.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements