Trans flush gone wrong?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Trans flush gone wrong?

'06 V50 t5 AWD automatic. Started with a trans flush. Started the car to pump out fluid, shut it off when container was getting full, tried to start car again to squeeze out a little more, but won't start now. Pumped out about 6.5qts. Any ideas? Did I pump out a catastrophic amount? Do I need to pull the whole thing apart now? Car will turn over once w/o starting per key cycle then chk engn light starts flashing. Gotta pull it apart for new solenoids anyway. May as well start now. Anyone have a clue what this is?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey View Post
      '06 V50 t5 AWD automatic. Started with a trans flush. Started the car to pump out fluid, shut it off when container was getting full, tried to start car again to squeeze out a little more, but won't start now. Pumped out about 6.5qts. Any ideas? Did I pump out a catastrophic amount? Do I need to pull the whole thing apart now? Car will turn over once w/o starting per key cycle then chk engn light starts flashing. Gotta pull it apart for new solenoids anyway. May as well start now. Anyone have a clue what this is?
      You did pump out too much. You should only pump out 2qt at a time, re-fill with 2qt and repeat.

Not sure why the car won't start though. Have you tried re-filling the trans and then trying to start the car?
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 177K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, HD coils, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 79k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design Dad - '98 S70 T5 160K + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5

I went ahead and swapped solenoids since it was down. Hooked everything back up, dropped six quarts back in and still same problem.??

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm not sure what the prescribed time is but disconnect the battery for a bit to make everything reset and see if that does it.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 177K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, HD coils, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 79k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design Dad - '98 S70 T5 160K + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5

Did that. Left it for about 15min then connected the pos and neg leads(not connected to battery) as per system learn reset and left that while I cleaned up. About 20min later I disconnected completely and left it while we went out to dinner. Reconnected when we got back and still no-go

And I don't have a prescribed bedtime. I'm a big boy now and I can ruin my car and go to bed anytime I want... or apparently even if I don't want

Does it even crank? Need more details.
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

One short crank and done. Engine does not fire. Will not continue cranking if I hold the key position on start. After three tries cel will start flashing instead of solid on. Message panel says engine power decreased.

Update: apparently it takes longer to reset. I just hooked the battery up again and it fired right up with no cel, so I think I got it from here. Thanks for helping me think.

Don't you just love those self-healing systems? (And self-destructing, of course...)

I had a heart stutter once on a trip when the process of resetting the "info system" and odometer somehow convinced the immobilizer to kick in.

But yeah, the flush wisdom says two quarts out then replace; rinse and repeat until old fluid comes out clean. I guess you tested the envelope of how much can safely be removed...
      Mark

"New-to-me" V50 Back from the dead.
      http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...psc0511129.jpg

Yeah, so realistically, you don't want to remove all of the fluid in there at once simply because the valvebody and a few other components need that lubrication. It's kind of like starting your car during an oil drain to get all the oil out. It's not a smart move and will result in a quicker weardown of the components inside an automatic transmission especially when about 30% of the function on an automatic is dependent on hydraulic pressure. Another 30% is dependent on having that interface fluid to prevent unnecessary friction on metal to metal components. The last 30% is the reservoire of unusued and or cooler/cooling fluid that is designed to keep it from overheating.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

While we're on this topic - is there anything special that needs to be done when switching to new fluid via this method? Specifically are there any resets or re-calibrations through VIDA?

The car has a transmission 'counter' that should be reset. Basically the counter tracks how many hours the ATF was in various temperature-range buckets. Ideally there should be no hours logged in bucket 2 or higher, as that means the fluid was overheated. Resetting the counter tells the car you put new fluid in- though I'm not sure how this affects shift logic.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Oh I'm positive that I need to reset the counter, but I think I'll be able to drive it to my mechanic now. I had to drive in limp mode 20miles through town, and stop/go traffic kills the tranny when you're starting in second gear every time. The fluid was pretty damn dark by the time I got to it. I pulled the valve body and flushed it too. Hopefully the new fluid and new solenoids will last me awhile. Thought about getting the sonnax kit with overbore set, but I wasn't certain I need it just yet. If I do I'm sure this finnicky princess will let me know, but if it's that bad I think I'll pull the whole thing and do bands and clutches as well. Are their any more weird kinks to these trannies I should be aware of? Again, thanks for the input everyone, and, for the record, the transgo kit looks like it would have done the job this far and it would have been alot cheaper than all new linear solenoids.

Don't Believe there is any Special

Quote Originally Posted by GRat9717 View Post
      While we're on this topic - is there anything special that needs to be done when switching to new fluid via this method?
      Specifically are there any resets or re-calibrations through VIDA?

I Believe the Poster - Just - Wore His Battery Down .. had a Weak Solenoid ..

He should have Cells on Battery Checked .

Never heard of Hr. Meter , but Hey learn something New everyday ..
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Quote Originally Posted by EngTech View Post
      I Believe the Poster - Just - Wore His Battery Down .. had a Weak Solenoid ..

He should have Cells on Battery Checked .

Never heard of Hr. Meter , but Hey learn something New everyday ..
      Oh here's the temp-meter I was talking about:
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Vida is the best. Did all sorts of calibrations earlier for fun. I've had it for a few years and I'm still learning new things about it all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by mf70 View Post
      the flush wisdom says two quarts out then replace; rinse and repeat until old fluid comes out clean. I guess you tested the envelope of how much can safely be removed...
      I did this a few weeks ago and got close to 4 quarts out at a time. The procedure is posted at http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?68521 with the VADIS instructions at #34.

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements