Dash Cam - Call me Paranoid? Or Do Others have one too!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dash Cam - Call me Paranoid? Or Do Others have one too!

Just Curious who uses a Dash Cam on their car. I've got a Cansonic Duo 707. Works pretty Good.

Call me crazy, but with the luck I have, I want my daily driving catalogued. Too Many Nuts out there And a Camera never Lies!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

get one! It will help you when you need it. When collisions happen, any footage is better than no footage..

Quote Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
      get one! It will help you when you need it. When collisions happen, any footage is better than no footage..
      I've got the Cansonic 707. Works great. What kind do you have?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I recently got one myself. Cheap insurance

I got a BlackVue DR650S 2CH. Pricy compared to others but is the best in the market. Front and rear camera, time delay recoding settings.

It's a good idea to have one. Wish I had one when some dip**** in a ricey Civic attempted to pull a lefthand U-turn from the right lane directly across my bow when I was traveling in the left lane. Clearly an illegal move, and it caused $15k in damage to my car, and then the little bugger had the nerve of attempting to sue me for his and his ladyfriend's medical expenses. The ladyfriend who had a restraining other against him at the time. Anyhoo, I was left without my car for about a month and left with whiplash for long after that. So far my insurance company has been on my side but it's still uncomfortable when it's my word against his crummy bs version of the story.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

Quote Originally Posted by Kinoons View Post
      I recently got one myself. Cheap insurance
      What model? And I agree. If someone hits you, you witness an accident, etc, everything is caught on video!

I have this Camera. Cansonic Duo 707 Set to 1080p on Youtube. I face the normal lens forward and the zoom facing out my back window. Works pretty good
      No need to hardwire. Just plugs into 12v power adapter

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      It's a good idea to have one. Wish I had one when some dip**** in a ricey Civic attempted to pull a lefthand U-turn from the right lane directly across my bow when I was traveling in the left lane. Clearly an illegal move, and it caused $15k in damage to my car, and then the little bugger had the nerve of attempting to sue me for his and his ladyfriend's medical expenses. The ladyfriend who had a restraining other against him at the time. Anyhoo, I was left without my car for about a month and left with whiplash for long after that. So far my insurance company has been on my side but it's still uncomfortable when it's my word against his crummy bs version of the story.
      My sentiments exactly. A dashcasm was purchased within a month or two of the vehicle. Video doesn't lie.

A. Think about if someone pulls out in front of you (cut you off) and you hit them. Under ordinary circumstances, the Police would cite you, as the person merged into the lane and you didn't "stop". With a dash cam video, you can show the same person pulled out and caused a wreck.

B. Hit and run. Video captures vehicles and possibly occupants

C. Any other road hazards, accidents, etc around you. Best witness ever

Any time I hop in my car, the video turns on and starts rolling. Loops after 5 hours and records over the old video. If i hit a button it'll save even or if it feels a "force".. sudden breaking, etc it auto saves.

Worth every penny. Might suggest you invest in one. Live and learn!

I went low tech and bought the Garmin Dashcam 20. Very happy with it. It captured the moment a rock thrown up by a small car hit my 3 week old new windshield on my V60CC (had the windshield replaced earlier due to a rock flying off a gravel carrying truck going the opposite direction). Had to buy a longer cable to power the unit from the rear facing power plug on the center console. Ran the cable across the windscreen, down the A-pillar, across the pax footwell and down the center console.
      Last edited by AeroDan; 03-22-2017 at 06:04 PM.
      2015,5 V60CC Savile Grey met, BLIS, heated front seats, convenience pkg, rubber mats
      2014 S60 T5 Premier Plus w/sport, xenons, eBLIS, heated front seats, SCT w/nav (hers)
      2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon (sold)
      2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan (sold)
      1996 Saab 900S (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by AeroDan View Post
      I went low tech and bought the Garmin Dashcam 20. Very happy with it. It captured the moment a rock thrown up by a small car hit my 3 week old new windshield on my V60CC (had the windshield replaced earlier due to a rock flying off a gravel carrying truck going the opposite direction). Had to buy a longer cable to power the unit from the rear facing power plug on the center console.
      So do you have one camera facing forward or two cameras? One facing forward and one facing rear?

So were you able to capture the rock on camera and the license plate of individual?

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      So do you have one camera facing forward or two cameras? One facing forward and one facing rear?

So were you able to capture the rock on camera and the license plate of individual?
      Just one cam forward. Can't really make a claim against a car for throwing a rock from a tire. Road hazard.
      2015,5 V60CC Savile Grey met, BLIS, heated front seats, convenience pkg, rubber mats
      2014 S60 T5 Premier Plus w/sport, xenons, eBLIS, heated front seats, SCT w/nav (hers)
      2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon (sold)
      2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan (sold)
      1996 Saab 900S (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by AeroDan View Post
      Just one cam forward. Can't really make a claim against a car for throwing a rock from a tire. Road hazard.
      Good Point. I read your post a little to hastily. I read thrown by a car i.e. thought something was tossed. I missed thrown "up" by a car. Sorry, you are more than correct. Typical road hazard.

I picked up a cobra cdr825 around Christmas. It was on close out for only $30. Picture quality is fair to good, but it would be good enough to prove any crash was or wasn't my fault. I hard wired it up to the mirror via mirror tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinoons View Post
      I picked up a cobra cdr825 around Christmas. It was on close out for only $30. Picture quality is fair to good, but it would be good enough to prove any crash was or wasn't my fault. I hard wired it up to the mirror via mirror tap.
      You don't need perfection, just proof. Even if the video lacks high definition, all the evidence necessary is to show fault. Just be sure you can capture license plates clear enough, in the event of a hit and run.

What strategy do you guys use to wire-up power for the dashcams and where do you mount them? With the big housing for all the City Safety sensors, it seems there were fewer options for mounting a camera in a discreet manner. I've periodically thought about getting a dashcam, but haven't done enough research about what are options provide the best value. There seem to be so many options.

With all the cameras already in the S60 (e.g. for lane-departure warning), I wish Volvo had a way to just record video straight from those as an integrated solution (though I suppose the feed from cameras meant for machine vision could be quite different than what we'd find useful for dashcam footage).
      Currently enjoying: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Currently missed: 1998 S70 GLT

Quote Originally Posted by acee View Post
      What strategy do you guys use to wire-up power for the dashcams and where do you mount them? With the big housing for all the City Safety sensors, it seems there were fewer options for mounting a camera in a discreet manner. I've periodically thought about getting a dashcam, but haven't done enough research about what are options provide the best value. There seem to be so many options.

With all the cameras already in the S60 (e.g. for lane-departure warning), I wish Volvo had a way to just record video straight from those as an integrated solution (though I suppose the feed from cameras meant for machine vision could be quite different than what we'd find useful for dashcam footage).
      I have the Cansonic Duo (One Panoramic Lens and One Zoom). I face the Panoramic forward and put the Zoom facing out my back Window.

The New S60s don't use a camera for BLIS. I believe it's lidar.

I mount my camera on the front windshield right next to the mirror on drivers side.

This would be a great option for car manufacturers to embrace. I wonder if any have? The main reason I haven't installed one is the worry of a break-in to steel it or the hassle of having to set it up everyday to avoid the break-in.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      This would be a great option for car manufacturers to embrace. I wonder if any have? The main reason I haven't installed one is the worry of a break-in to steel it or the hassle of having to set it up everyday to avoid the break-in.
      My Camera ran $99. I leave it mounted at all times. It auto turns on once car is started, and runs in a continuous 5 hour loop. Setup is nothing more than mounting on your windshield like a GPS, setting it to auto on when car is started, and plugging into a 12v power plug.

Too many idiots on the road. Mine is 1080p but you don't need high definition. Just being able to capture a wreck or events is sufficient. Seeing and capturing license plates does help though.

I have the Cansonic Duo (One Panoramic Lens and One Zoom). I face the Panoramic forward and put the Zoom facing out my back Window.

The New S60s don't use a camera for BLIS. I believe it's lidar.

I mount my camera on the front windshield right next to the mirror on drivers side.
      Thanks for the photo example, that's a really neat style of camera - I've never seen that before!

Oh yes, you're right about BLIS not using cameras anymore in the newer S60s.

I was also thinking about the LDW/LKA, pedestrian detection, and RSI cameras, which are already mounted in the black housing in front of the rear view mirror (way too many acronyms...).
      Currently enjoying: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Currently missed: 1998 S70 GLT

Thanks for the photo example, that's a really neat style of camera - I've never seen that before!

Oh yes, you're right about BLIS not using cameras anymore in the newer S60s.

I was also thinking about the LDW/LKA, pedestrian detection, and RSI cameras, which are already mounted in the black housing in front of the rear view mirror (way too many acronyms...).
      Check out the YouTube link Above. It beats the hell out of hard wiring a two camera system and the mess of cords. Works well. Mine has 1440 x 1280 resolution for vertical and 1920 x 1080 for horizontal display. It does the trick. I believe the 707 is discontinued but the Z1 from cansonic is the newer model.

Per using the cameras on Older S60 BLIS systems, I cam only imagine these cameras aren't meant for continuous recording or high resolution. They probably are capable of detecting an object approaching on either side and little more.

Have had an A118 for a few years. Pretty cheap. Hardwired with add-a-fuse in the box underneath the steering column ('07 V70) and tucked the wires behind the A-pillar and the headliner.

Picture quality in the dusk, not great but ok for the price:

I have two of these: https://goo.gl/pyc6KE

Had them for over 2 years now. Wish I had one before the accident in 2014, but that's what made me get them. Insurance fraud is the main source of income for some people in NJ...
      His: 2017 V60CC Platinum AWD, Osmium Grey, Climate Package, BLIS
      Hers: 2016 Volvo S60 T5 Premier AWD, Ice White, Beechwood seats, Urbane Wood Inlays, BLIS, Tech package, Keyless Drive, Heated Seats

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      I have two of these: https://goo.gl/pyc6KE

Had them for over 2 years now. Wish I had one before the accident in 2014, but that's what made me get them. Insurance fraud is the main source of income for some people in NJ...
      I'm honestly amazed by how few people have cameras. There's never a dispute of fault when caught on video. Insurance fraud, hit and run, someone pulls in front of you and causes a rear end collision, etc. Main reason I bought mine (accident), too.

I'm running one also. A $20 special at the cheap-stuff store. Not intended to record the fingerprints of the other driver, just to provide general information. Currently plugged into the extra 12V socket I installed behind the waterfall when I first got the car. Starts up with the car starts. Records over old data. If I have a need, I'll pull the power (and chip). I could also suck it down to my smartphone (from the chip or plugged into the camera).
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

I have the Blacksys Ch-100b with Cellink Battery B. The battery charges/runs the camera while the car is on and then allows the camera to use its 'parking' mode with motion and impact detection. Now I don't have to worry as much about parking lot hit and runs.

I've had StreetGuardian for about a year. Good picture quality day/night - pretty much set it and forget it.

A friend gave me one for Christmas. I might use it more if were not such a pain to access the SD card. Of course I can plug it directly into a computer, but then that is a pain to remove it from the car and connect to the computer. I live in the country where there is not too much traffic. If I lived in a city I would be more inclined to use it. I hard wired my GPS and did the same for the camera. Have both mounted on the windshield on the left by the post. Out of the field of view of the road, but easy to view when driving. Guess I can just let it do its thing in a loop and only check what it has recorded when there is a traffic issue.

Have a BlackVue 650GW 2-CH together with Cellink B6 external battery connected via the 12V socket in the cargo area of my XC90. The Cellink provides continuous recording even when the vehicle is parked and that is crucial IMO in case of hit-and-run cases.

Thank you for this thread. I'm now in the market for a camera for each one of my vehicles. Someone backed into the passenger side of my lexus in a parking lot 2 weeks ago and destroyed the door. The dent suggests that the lady kept rolling back even after impacting my vehicle. I don't understand how a person has a brand new vehicle with a backup camera and still do something like that. That means they would have hit a person and just kept backing up until the person was under the front wheel.
      Oh, someone backed into the mercedes bumper in December, destroying a part of it; also in a parking lot. And Also when my vehicle was stationary. I don't know why people just can't f*****g drive.

I looked up the cansonic model. The 707 is no longer available. The duo is at a staggering $300. That's pretty pricey for something that invites a break in everyday. My muscle car bears the scars of an attempted break in years ago when someone bashed a rock against the tinted window. They were apparently too stupid or drunk to break it, or they were scared off. Depending on where you live or commute, $300 for the camera is a worthwhile investment. But for most, it's expensive.
      I dislike wagons, and don't particularly care for Volvo's in general. I'm not a fan of any one brand.

Currently trying to pilot the fastest P3 S60.

I've got one, not paranoid its insurance, for when you forget to snap a pic or forget the plate number, or have no witnesses. Dash cam could save your future, or just be a waste of 50 that sits there and looks dumb, but hey ya never know

Quote Originally Posted by wolfverine View Post
      Have a BlackVue 650GW 2-CH together with Cellink B6 external battery connected via the 12V socket in the cargo area of my XC90. The Cellink provides continuous recording even when the vehicle is parked and that is crucial IMO in case of hit-and-run cases.
      Your Dash Cam is pretty cool from the content I've read. You can use an Android App to view videos directly from the camera via Wifi.

Does the camera shut off when you park, or it runs indefinitely until the Cellink B6 battery is exhuasted or the car is started again?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Harmony View Post
      Thank you for this thread. I'm now in the market for a camera for each one of my vehicles. Someone backed into the passenger side of my lexus in a parking lot 2 weeks ago and destroyed the door. The dent suggests that the lady kept rolling back even after impacting my vehicle. I don't understand how a person has a brand new vehicle with a backup camera and still do something like that. That means they would have hit a person and just kept backing up until the person was under the front wheel.
      Oh, someone backed into the mercedes bumper in December, destroying a part of it; also in a parking lot. And Also when my vehicle was stationary. I don't know why people just can't f*****g drive.

I looked up the cansonic model. The 707 is no longer available. The duo is at a staggering $300. That's pretty pricey for something that invites a break in everyday. My muscle car bears the scars of an attempted break in years ago when someone bashed a rock against the tinted window. They were apparently too stupid or drunk to break it, or they were scared off. Depending on where you live or commute, $300 for the camera is a worthwhile investment. But for most, it's expensive.
      So what I've read is don't park anywhere near you what so ever if I want my car to remain intact?

I had my car door knocked into by some jackass in a parking lot. Scratched the door via the clear coat. Seems pretty deep as never have been able to buff it out.

The Cansonic Duo 707 is a great camera. It has a motion Detection feature, but You have to ONLY enable that when getting out of the car. Otherwise, if there's no activity it'll shut camera off. So quite honestly, I never use it....Guess that defeats purpose of parking and hoping my car isn't scratched, etc

The Z1 is suppose to have a far better lens, night vision, and also better motion detection. I paid $99 dollars for my 707 and it's worth every penny. Captures High Definition.
      1440 x 1280 if set to Tall and 1920 x 1080 if set to wide.

You might read reviews or check out the Cameras people list here. Many require hardwiring. I opted for the 707 Duo to avoid a Hardwire. I don't know how to hard wire and I don't know who can do it. So I went with an easier solution. 2 Lenses!

Glad to help by starting this thread.... Always good to hear that a topic is useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobstamobsta View Post
      I've got one, not paranoid its insurance, for when you forget to snap a pic or forget the plate number, or have no witnesses. Dash cam could save your future, or just be a waste of 50 that sits there and looks dumb, but hey ya never know
      Never a waste. At best, you capture your days worth a driving. If you ever spot an accident or a cool event, you can reference the camera's video. At worse, your car is involved in a wreck and you've captured the entire incident. One cannot deny photographic proof! Insurance + Security Policy = Damn Straight!

So what I've read is don't park anywhere near you what so ever if I want my car to remain intact?
      It's not me you should be concerned about. It's the idiots that get a license because everyone else has one. I usually park away from the general populous to avoid scratches and dings. Yet there's always that one idiot that will skip 10 empty spots only to park next to me. I get it that my cars and clean and look good, but why?

I wasn't present during the incident with my mercedes. My sister-in-law was using the car. She was parked with the vehicle off and waiting for someone, when the lady backed into her. As for the incident with the Lexus, I was the driver. The vehicle was stationary, because there was a car in front of me and another behind. Someone was exiting a spot in front of the vehicle in front of me. All of a sudden the idiot in a parking spot to my right started backing up. I blared the horn, but she ignored it. I had about 2 seconds but couldn't move forward or backward become of the vehicle in front and behind. I later noticed that my wheel was fully turned to the left in an apparent attempt to move before the impact. What pissed me off was that she had a 2016 Kia with a ****ing backup camera. She hit my Lexus (SUV) in the pass front door. This means that if she had looked in her left mirror, she would have seen my fender. Had she looked in her right mirror, she would have seen my pass rear door. Had she looked in her rear view mirror, she would have seen my pass front window and roofline. Had she looked in her backup camera, she would have seen the entire pass side of my vehicle. So where the hell was she looking when she started backing up? This idiot was a 39yr old woman. The idiot that hit the mercedes was a 24yr old woman. I expected them to be in their 70's or 80's. I just don't get it.
      Last edited by Sir Harmony; 03-23-2017 at 09:24 AM.
      I dislike wagons, and don't particularly care for Volvo's in general. I'm not a fan of any one brand.

Currently trying to pilot the fastest P3 S60.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Harmony View Post
      It's not me you should be concerned about. It's the idiots that get a license because everyone else has one. I usually park away from the general populous to avoid scratches and dings. Yet there's always that one idiot that will skip 10 empty spots only to park next to me. I get it that my cars and clean and look good, but why?

I wasn't present during the incident with my mercedes. My sister-in-law was using the car. She was parked with the vehicle off and waiting for someone, when the lady backed into her. As for the incident with the Lexus, I was the driver. The vehicle was stationary, because there was a car in front of me and another behind. Someone was exiting a spot in front of the vehicle in front of me. All of a sudden the idiot in a parking spot to my right started backing up. I blared the horn, but she ignored it. I had about 2 seconds but couldn't move forward or backward become of the vehicle in front and behind. I later noticed that my wheel was fully turned to the left in an apparent attempt to move before the impact. What pissed me off was that she had a 2016 Kia with a ****ing backup camera. She hit my Lexus (SUV) in the pass front door. This means that if she had looked in her left mirror, she would have seen my fender. Had she looked in her right mirror, she would have seen my pass rear door. Had she looked in her rear view mirror, she would have seen my pass front window and roofline. Had she looked in her backup camera, she would have seen the entire pass side of my vehicle. So where the hell was she looking when she started backing up? This idiot was a 39yr old woman. The idiot that hit the mercedes was a 24yr old woman. I expected them to be in their 70's or 80's. I just don't get it.
      No one ever said the test for a license weeded out those that did not need or deserve one!

Did both individuals who hit your car have insurance and pay for damages? You definitely need a Dash Camera. Read the reviews here and consider investing on one PRONTO!

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast