Anyone installed turbosmart wastegate actuator?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Looks like the turbosmart actuator is claimed to hold more psi and react faster than stock. Any thoughts on how hard it is to install and if it's worth the upgrade?
      Elevate has the only kit that I can find, but I suspect it's a generic turbosmart wastegate with a Elevate-spec'd mounting bracket. Seems like a good kit and if the claims are true (holds higher boost, boost came on 700 rpm faster, etc.) then I'd be a worthwhile upgrade IMO. See here: https://www.elevatecars.com/store/vo...-actuator.html
      Last edited by mercdude; 03-14-2017 at 12:59 PM.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Viva has one too.

http://www.vivaperformance.com/waste...0-and-c30-c70/

I have a Forge wastegate actuator that I got for really cheap but I haven't installed it. Not sure I will since I haven't been able to get any feedback on it.
      2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 || 1987 Toyota MR2 || 2002 Lexus IS300 [hers] || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 [Sold 2016] || 2001 Acura Integra GSR [Stolen 2010 lol]

I don't see that forge makes one that fits the K04. Are you sure it fits the P1's?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It's funny, the wastegate was the first thing that people used to modify on turbo cars before there were CPU's controlling boost control valves. I had a 88 ford thunderbird turbocoupe with a 2.3l turbo that we used to bend the wastegate rod a bit to get another 6-8psi out of it. It was like a free 40-50hp increase.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Just talked with viva - their wastegate isn't an upgrade in any way. It's a direct replacement, but with a medal body.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      I don't see that forge makes one that fits the K04. Are you sure it fits the P1's?
      It's the same as the Viva. My understanding is that Forge manufactures it for Viva now.

Just talked with viva - their wastegate isn't an upgrade in any way. It's a direct replacement, but with a medal body.
      If this is what you're hearing about the Viva model, I'd assume it's the same for Elevate.
      2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 || 1987 Toyota MR2 || 2002 Lexus IS300 [hers] || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 [Sold 2016] || 2001 Acura Integra GSR [Stolen 2010 lol]

According to elevate, the turbosmart wastegate:
      Produces more boost earlier in the RPM range
      Improves midrange torque
      Fast acting actuator for optimal boost pressure control
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Your Volvo will build boost earlier in the RPM range due to our Wastegate Actuator being able to hold the wastegate valve shut as boost is building. Testing by Turbosmart on some cars (not a Volvo specific test) has shown benefits of
      As I understand the quote above, Elevate has not actually tested this on P1s so any performance claims should be taken with a grain of salt.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Wastegate tweaking used to be the best way to get more power out of turbo cars. With all the tuning options, many suggest not even touching the wastegate (with K04 tuning) unless is has gone bad. Adjusting the wastegate can often do more harm then good when the ECU tries to figure out what's happening. Though, slight tweaking is definitely going to be the way to get maximum power out of the car. I know Hilton occasionally suggests some tweaking. Is it safe power? That has yet to be determined in the long run. I've never heard of Elevate or Shark suggesting to tweak the wastegate in the last 12 years. Then again, their non-data-log tunes are just for improved performance, not maximum performance. But both are willing to get you maximum performance if you can provide the data logs or meet up with the tuners.

I don't know of anyone who has replaced the stock wastegate with an aftermarket one. So it's still unknown terrain. I'm personally not touching anything on the C30 unless it goes bad, the car has been running flawlessly for months now and it feels perfectly balanced. Good enough to beat a Focus RS from a rolling start is good enough for me.

Both Waste Gates - are Up Grades in Materials and Speed ( Reaction Time ) - Not so much Performance . .
      Yet - Your Motor will have More Reliable Performance . . If that makes sense .
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

My only concern with replacing the wastegate is getting it adjusted correctly after the new fitment. I have no idea what the base PSI is, how many threads to adjust, etc. Seems doable, but only with a boost gauge, which I don't have at the moment (I'm still trying to get an acceptable instrument cluster mounted boost gauge pod from Ortiz Custom Pods).
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I plan on using the one I purchased in the near future. Hopefully what Engtech said is right lol.

My only concern with replacing the wastegate is getting it adjusted correctly after the new fitment. I have no idea what the base PSI is, how many threads to adjust, etc. Seems doable, but only with a boost gauge, which I don't have at the moment (I'm still trying to get an acceptable instrument cluster mounted boost gauge pod from Ortiz Custom Pods).
      What do you mean about the Ortiz pod? Did you order it already and are waiting? I plan on getting one in the future.

Well, what I mean is that I got the single dash pod, it looked pretty good but had fitment issues with my mechanical VDO boost gauge. Couple things are still being ironed out by Ortiz: the pod is facing down a bit (about 5 deg) and the actual 'pod' part of the dash cluster is too short for anything but a LED/electronic boost gauge, which tend to be shorter than mechanical gauges (I assume). In this case, the 'pod' was about 1 3/4" long, and the gauge was (with vacuum connector, electrical connectors, etc) about 2.5" long. So you can see that it wouldn't fit.

BTW, if anyone's interested, the VDO 0-30 or 0-15 boost gauge has very, very similar lighting, font, and background to the P1 gauges. I think, at least historically, Volvo uses VDO as their gauge supplier. Same thing with Ford, actually. Summit racing has a decent deal on them, about $50. I would recommend the through-dial lighting.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

You don't need a boost gauge actually installed to adjust the wastegate. I adjusted mine for the Hilton Tune with a $10 harbor freight pressure gauge and a shock pump for my MTB. Basically just pump it up and observe when the wastegate cracks. If it's lower than desired than you need to lengthen the rod by moving the adjustment wheel towards the firewall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d2bYPAtTHU
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

I wonder if their pods are shaped to fit Glowshift gauges since they sell them on their site.

What are they going to do to resolve the issue?

^Funny you say that, the only other SS member that used Ortiz (that I'm aware of) used the glowshift LED boost gauge. He said he had to make a couple minor changes too, but nothing significant. I know for a fact that you will be required to trim a bit off the dash pad for any boost gauge, but this is hidden under the bezel.

I'm guessing Ortiz is aware of the fitment issues because once I called them, they said yeah different gauges are different lengths but agreed to make changes. They are supposed to include a pod that's longer to accomodate the VDO gauge. That's yet to be seen, however. This will be the 3rd version. I'll start a new thread and show pics, if everyone's interested.

Honestly, after seeing how they did it I'm tempted to do it myself: I would think you could find a cheap boost gauge pod, cut and shape a bezel to fit it (and vica versa), epoxy it together, and then use bondo as a filler and shoot flat black paint on it all. The genius is in knowing where to install the gauge and Ortiz selected a good spot.
      Last edited by mercdude; 03-15-2017 at 01:24 PM.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by T5CO View Post
      You don't need a boost gauge actually installed to adjust the wastegate. I adjusted mine for the Hilton Tune with a $10 harbor freight pressure gauge and a shock pump for my MTB. Basically just pump it up and observe when the wastegate cracks. If it's lower than desired than you need to lengthen the rod by moving the adjustment wheel towards the firewall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d2bYPAtTHU
      After the Hilton tune, Why did you adjust the wastegate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

After the Hilton tune, Why did you adjust the wastegate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      From the datalogs I recorded between the base tune and the stage 2, Rob recommended I increase the wastegate pressure. I believe it was due to the fact wasn't holding oost at higher RPM. Here's a bit of correspondence from Rob explaining the reasoning.

These log files look like your wastegate setting is a little too low. Can you please adjust your wastegate to the factory setting and tell me what psi it is set at to crack? Yes, the knock values are a little high. I believe this is due to the car not operating at the correct load, due to the wastegate being maxed out. You will notice that the boost controller duty cycle is at 100% and it is still not reaching desired boost.

And a bit off topic but I also asked what else could be done to improve performance (short answer: a turbo):

The stock hardware is getting almost maxed out. The turbo may have a bit more to give mid range, but not much, and with the way timing is right now, you probably wouldn't gain any power since timing would have to be backed off.

You could add a full exhaust to the car to improve flow (iirc you only have downpipe) and hopefully get a little more out of the top end.

You can also add methanol injection to allow you to run more timing.

The next step would be to upgrade the turbo to a larger turbo. You would also need larger injectors and a larger MAF sensor and housing.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

huh. If it wasn't holding boost, why wouldn't you just replace the wastegate? I assume that would mean that the spring/diaphram is weak.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

I'm not sure really. my take on it was that the initial setting of ~4.5 psi made the spring too soft and it was partially opening at high boost/RPM. increasing the waste gate psi compresses the spring makes it stiffer, and I guess more resistant to opening at higher pressure
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

So that resulted in you having to up the initial PSI to 6-7 to keep the holding pressure for say 15psi? Sure seems like a new wastegate would have solved all those issues.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Interested in Hearing If the RS Intercooler - Boost Sensor & using the RS MAF would allow the Boost to Climb up to 15, 16, 17 PSI
      Most Likely Also have to have the Tune . .
      Throw in Set of RS Injectors - which they are 412cc & called 440cc - something like that .. ( Then You'd get 330HP ) out of K04 .

Probably what the High Boost - Tune is all about ..
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

25. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements