2.4i TURBO??
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: 2.4i TURBO??

2.4i TURBO??

Im mainly looking for info has anyone put a turbo on the 2.4i cars?? Also before everyone says just get a T5 car im not made of money i can quantify spending another 12-15 grand on a car or trade in the one i have after ive already done a lot of maintenance too and still pay an extra couple grand to get a T5 vehicle id rather spend that on making my own vehicle i already have faster. Now having said all that has anyone done it? Would a T5 turbo and manifold setup bolt on or are the blocks completely different?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mechanical_freak View Post
      Im mainly looking for info has anyone put a turbo on the 2.4i cars?? Also before everyone says just get a T5 car im not made of money i can quantify spending another 12-15 grand on a car or trade in the one i have after ive already done a lot of maintenance too and still pay an extra couple grand to get a T5 vehicle id rather spend that on making my own vehicle i already have faster. Now having said all that has anyone done it? Would a T5 turbo and manifold setup bolt on or are the blocks completely different?
      If you're not made of money to change for a T5, you're not made of money to go turbo on a 2.4i.

That's the sad truth. The 2.4i is a great stock car and there is not a lot (read almost nothing) that can be made to increase performance engine-wise.

There's more to making a turbo car than just slapping a turbo on it. You've got engine management issues, fitment issues, hardware, exhaust, sensors, etc. If it were even possible, you'd spend at least 5-7k on fitment. Everything would have to be custom and you'd have to find a company that could modify the ecu to handle the extra inputs and the boost; then, you'd have to worry about the engine block, cylinder head, and pistons which weren't designed to handle boost. I mean, the list goes on and on and on. You, honest to God, would be much further ahead to sell your car and then buy a T5 and start over with any maintenance items you need.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I know you said to not say "just get a T5"... but everything ive read says that the block on the T5 is stronger and therefore able to handle the forces the turbo creates. If you want to add a few extra horses, a COI and new exhaust would help, but as Raphmass24 stated there isn't much that can be done to increase performance. I myself have a 2.4i.
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

I've owned a 2.4i and it's a nice running engine when mated with a M56. Change out the muffler and you'll gain a few hp - that's the best you can hope for.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

The car runs fine and does seem relative punchy I just want more, the first time i drove my buddies T-5 V70 circa 04 he told me to punch it and it put me in my seat and id like to try and duplicate it. I know it will be hard being turbo vs non turbo and FWD vs AWD.

Quote Originally Posted by mechanical_freak View Post
      Also before everyone says just get a T5 car im not made of money i can quantify spending another 12-15 grand on a car
      Where do you get 12-15 grand? Plenty of nice T5's for $6-8K.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphmass24 View Post
      If you're not made of money to change for a T5, you're not made of money to go turbo on a 2.4i.

That's the sad truth. The 2.4i is a great stock car and there is not a lot (read almost nothing) that can be made to increase performance engine-wise.

Realest thing ive heard all day. as a person who hacked and slashed my old 2.4i to get as much HP out of it the best upgrade i ever did was get a T5 -AWD.

sorry but fastest 2.4i will still be slower than a T5. just save your money and in the mean time look through all the DIY mods on here so you can start planning.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Name pending") |ELEVATE Intake, intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Niche Targa Wheels wrapped in 2154/45/18 Nikos||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
      Where do you get 12-15 grand? Plenty of nice T5's for $6-8K.

Yes, I was going to say I recently bought my V50 T5 with 95K miles for $6600. But I understand that it can be much more difficult to justify getting rid of a good running car so that you can upgrade to something more pleasurable.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer)

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

So you can run a turbo setup on an NA car. The difference is you are limited to very low (think 3-5psi) of boost pressure on stock components designed for NA motors. That is also not counting the custom tuning you'd need done and headers/turbo/downpipe you'd need to get the job done.

It's possible but not cost effective. I considered doing it to my wife's subaru 2.5i and the kit is only about $3,000. Custom made is going to run you 6k.

My S40 T5 AWD M66 will be on the market soon (again), probably $6500-7500 depending on who buys it. My wife has now decided it's time to start looking at a car that will seat 6. Apparently two months ago wasn't the right time. Go figure.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

A C30 member in Europe has successfully swapped out his 2.0 for a T5. Took him a few months and lots of tuning, but it runs!

If you're so attached to your car that you're not willing to get rid of it, this might be an option. I sold my T5 S40, completely up to date on maintenance with 150k miles and a stage 1 tune, for $5700 in 2014. I bought a T5 V50 for $3500 and sold it for $4500 a few months later. T5s are pretty cheap now, especially if you find a salvage as a donor car.

Your car might be up to date on maintenance and running well, but adding boost is going to introduce a bunch of problems. You're also going to be replacing a lot of your maintenance items with new parts compatible for a turbo.

Just like a manual conversion, anything is possible. But you're going to spend just a few thousand less than the purchase price of the car you really want, without the pocket money of selling your current car, and with no guarantee that it will even start, let alone be reliable. If you want power, the best way is to always start at the top end of the spectrum with the fastest engine already in the car.
      I was very attached to my S40. First car I ever really modified, it was like a part of the family. I was really sad when I sold it, but it was also the best move I could have made. Everything about my C30 makes it my dream car and I have no regrets.

That being said, the P1 platform is the perfect combination for comfort and handling. The Mazda Speed 3, Focus ST, and Focus RS are all on the same platform and are all great on mountain roads and auto cross. You can make your 2.4i one of the best handling cars on the road and easily make up for your lack of power with the ability to carry that speed through the turns. AdamYeti has a 2.4i, but he keeps up no problems on the mountain roads with good suspension and good tires.

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      My S40 T5 AWD M66 will be on the market soon (again), probably $6500-7500 depending on who buys it. My wife has now decided it's time to start looking at a car that will seat 6. Apparently two months ago wasn't the right time. Go figure.
      Been there. Sometimes makes no sense at all but what are you going to do?
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer)

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

X2 on the handling I can't believe how responsive the wagon feels and i have admittedly taken it around corners much fast than would be deemed safe by most of my family. Maybe this car will continue to be my good running and excellent handling daily and ill focus my impure speed thoughts to something with more potential at a pocket friendly budget.

As far as handling improvements go, I've got a 25mm from swaybar from an 05 s40 t5m that I'll let go cheap. Pm if that interests you. I'll also have an 06 s40 t5m awd car available within a month. Good luck in your quest for performance!
      98 v70R saffron, 98 v70r black, 04 v70xc nautic, , 06 xc90 v8 gunmetal, 83 242 Group A med blue metallic, 82 242 DL, 2006 s40 t5a, s40t5m awd RED, s40t5m awd Black, 04 s60r silver.
      Sold-98V70Rm silver, 93 245 silver, 98v70xc sandstone, 96 855r black totaled/parted, 96 855r white, 98 xc70 olive, 99 s70r, 05 s40 t5m (x2) silver, 94 854 na turquoise:

I sold my 2.4i two or three years ago and bought the T5 M66. Came out of the deal with $1000 left over to get the T5 close to Stage 0. Now with 209,xxx miles, she runs like a champ all day! VIDA/DICE has come to the rescue on a few occasions and is one of the best purchases I've made for the car. No more guessing or taking it to Joe-Rip-Ya-Off stealership!
      2005 S40 T5 - M66 - Silver w/ Off Black T-Tec - OBX 3" DP - EST Strut Bar - Auto Meter Boost Gauge - Premium Audio

SOLD -2005 S40 2.4i

Anything is possible!

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you take that wall with you

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements