Working HID/LED headlight upgrade?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Working HID/LED headlight upgrade?

Looking forward on see who out there has a working HID or LED headlight conversion working. I'm looking to upgrade my H11 headlights to either be HID (preferred) or LED.

I've read shadow's thread and many more extensively so I know the dangers etc. I just do not like the look and output if the stock halogens.

Also, would it be easier and more reliable to simply get better halogens? Or would I be able to do a good HID or LED conversion for under 150$?

If you have a working one please let me know the kit you got, any additions or mods you had to buy or make, and anything else I would need to know. Thank you all

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Why not run HID system off a separate switch. If you dont go through the OEM wiring you have nothing to worry abuot.

You can install some DRL chips on your bumper and wire those to the low beams and your BOW will also dissapear for you.

Thats how i have mine set up.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

there are many but check out this thread from a little while ago on the c70 (same p1 platform cars as s40, so same headlights):
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ght-conversion

bottom line: if you want better lighting, cheapest/safest is h9 bulbs modified to fit h11 socket. if you want even better lighting and whiter light, then i recommend e46 projectors + a hid kit. leds just don't provide enough throw in my experience.
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by V50R View Post
      Why not run HID system off a separate switch. If you dont go through the OEM wiring you have nothing to worry abuot.

You can install some DRL chips on your bumper and wire those to the low beams and your BOW will also dissapear for you.

Thats how i have mine set up.
      What kit do you have exactly? I was hoping to have them at least be able to be controlled through the factory LSM.

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Quote Originally Posted by jschinito View Post
      there are many but check out this thread from a little while ago on the c70 (same p1 platform cars as s40, so same headlights):
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ght-conversion

bottom line: if you want better lighting, cheapest/safest is h9 bulbs modified to fit h11 socket. if you want even better lighting and whiter light, then i recommend e46 projectors + a hid kit. leds just don't provide enough throw in my experience.
      H9 bulbs in an H11 socket? I've read a lot about this but what would be the benefit?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Quote Originally Posted by evy0311 View Post
      H9 bulbs in an H11 socket? I've read a lot about this but what would be the benefit?

1300--> 2100 lumens
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

I've upgraded from the H11 to H9's and there is a difference. I used a dremel bit to shave down the tab at the base of the new bulb so it would fit in the H11 socket. Easy peasy.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD | Black/Beechwood | Premium/Climate Package | BLIS | Sunroof | Active Bending Bi-Xenon (mine)
      2006 S40 2.4i M56 | Barents Blue/T-Tec | Sports Package | Sunroof | OEM Tail | 3M Clearbra | Fogs | Parrot Mki9200 | K&N Air filter (sold to son)

Quote Originally Posted by msmith View Post
      I've upgraded from the H11 to H9's and there is a difference. I used a dremel bit to shave down the tab at the base of the new bulb so it would fit in the H11 socket. Easy peasy.
      Did you change your projectors to the E46 type or does the OEM work okay?

Any chance you can tell me what setup your using? What ballasts and BOW cancellers?

2006 S40 2.4i FWD

Just have a look at my thread ref retrofitting E46, may give you some ideas. Well worth it.
      As for installation and preventing the issues - theshadow's thread has more than enough information, just follow his guidance and you will be ok.
      2005 V50, T5AWD, M66
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit, de-nanny mod, Black Diamond braided b.l.+Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

I have the E46 projectors swapped in place for the halogens. HIDs are wired through a relay and a switch. The switch takes power from the cig lighter so i have auto lights since the lighter turns on with the car so if i leave the switch on it auto shuts them off and on when the engine is on.

Has worked great for 2 years. Took me 2 hours to do the upgrade.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

you're confused. h9 are halogens, so they work in the stock halogen projectors. they are bulbs usually used for the high beams so have more lumens but slightly shorter bulb life. most folks get 1-2 years easily and they only cost $14.
      if you want to do a hid kit properly, they should be done in conjuction with the e46 projectors that will produce a good cut off and not cause glare. there are some who throw hid kits into the stock halogen projectors. that's a recipe for glare.

with the h9s, there's no bulb out warning.

with a hid kit, you'll need a BOW canceller. morimoto's kit uses a canbus harness which effectively does the same thing so you will not get a "bulb out" light.

Any chance you can tell me what setup your using? What ballasts and BOW cancellers?

I just ordered these. I'm not happy with the headlights on my 2012 S60. Lumen® H11XHLC-G8 - G8 LED Conversion Kit (H11)
      2 reviews / Item # mpn2521451351 View Similar Products
      more details on - https://www.carid.com/lumen/h11-g8-l...11xhlc-g8.html

I'm wondering if anyone here have used them, and how they like them.

Looking forward on see who out there has a working HID or LED headlight conversion working. I'm looking to upgrade my H11 headlights to either be HID (preferred) or LED.

I've read shadow's thread and many more extensively so I know the dangers etc. I just do not like the look and output if the stock halogens.

Also, would it be easier and more reliable to simply get better halogens? Or would I be able to do a good HID or LED conversion for under 150$?

If you have a working one please let me know the kit you got, any additions or mods you had to buy or make, and anything else I would need to know. Thank you all

I think the guys at TRS have a great reputation and would be interested to see what these are like:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/le...C51355%2C51808
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former)

Hi, I just used the OEM setup. Just a switch of bulbs. So far, it's been a year and all is good.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD | Black/Beechwood | Premium/Climate Package | BLIS | Sunroof | Active Bending Bi-Xenon (mine)
      2006 S40 2.4i M56 | Barents Blue/T-Tec | Sports Package | Sunroof | OEM Tail | 3M Clearbra | Fogs | Parrot Mki9200 | K&N Air filter (sold to son)

There is an LED set of headlights out there: http://www.xtralights.com/04-07-volv...u5gaAr9a8P8HAQ
      Although they were less than informative if they built a custom reflector to match the $685 price tag and support LED's. Considering Stock Headlight shells are approximately $250-$300 a piece, it might be worth while to consider if you're going to replace them anyways.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements