Is a major Sensus update imminent?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Is a major Sensus update imminent?

According to this Volvo press release, "The Swedish marque has performed a graphical refinement of the Sensus user interface in the new XC60 and in its 90 Series cars, improving usability while presenting a refreshed, clean and appealing design."

Relevant to current owners is this statement: "The Sensus user interface design in the new XC60 will come pre-installed in new 90 Series cars. Existing 90 Series cars will be updated at the next service."

An expanded Volvo On Call offering is also on its way, according to Volvo.

2016 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription, Savile Grey, B&W, Vision, Convenience, HUD, 4C Air Suspension, PA-II, Pole✦

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Interesting, I hadn't read previously that our 'older' vehicles can be updated, but that's cool to hear. The article did also mention "The updated interface is focused on the navigation experience in the car which is one of the core applications,”, which may explain why that one home screen image of Sensus in the press release, while looking a bit refreshed, still looks so similar to what we have now.
      Currently Own:

2016 Volvo XC90 First Edition (Delivered May 2015)

2017 Audi Q7 (Delivered February 2016)

Apparently there is an update coming. There's been posts about it in other threads including the one on the new XC60.

I don't think anyone has concrete info on dates.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
      According to this Volvo press release, "The Swedish marque has performed a graphical refinement of the Sensus user interface in the new XC60 and in its 90 Series cars, improving usability while presenting a refreshed, clean and appealing design."

Relevant to current owners is this statement: "The Sensus user interface design in the new XC60 will come pre-installed in new 90 Series cars. Existing 90 Series cars will be updated at the next service."

That is awesome. I just had my car in for service about 2 weeks ago and was very happy to see that recent updates to the current Sensus platform have made Sensus much more staple and all but one of my bugs have been fixed. The system now works as I would expect it to.
      2016 XC90 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post

Volvo Press release with pictures:

https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/e...n-the-new-xc60

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan LV View Post
      Volvo On Call has been available since 2001, yet some of us, 16 years later, still don't have it in our premium cars for which we paid a fortune. Volvo's cheating us. We too want VOC even if it is not linked to any service provider, but offers us functionality for remote management and monitoring of our cars.

This new release doesn't excite some of us since it's clear it isn't earmarked for us. Let's hope we'll be covered by the 90% worldwide coverage Volvo's talking about
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

I dropped my car for service today. Wonder if this new SW will be installed. The press release isn't specific about a date and implies it's available now.

Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      Volvo On Call has been available since 2001, yet some of us, 16 years later, still don't have it in our premium cars for which we paid a fortune. Volvo's cheating us. We too want VOC even if it is not linked to any service provider, but offers us functionality for remote management and monitoring of our cars.

This new release doesn't excite some of us since it's clear it isn't earmarked for us. Let's hope we'll be covered by the 90% worldwide coverage Volvo's talking about
      Well, VOC isn't free so if you don't have it and you're not paying for it, you're not getting cheated.

VOC has to be linked to service providers as it combines roadside assistance along with telematics and Volvo simply doesn't have the footprint to provide that all themselves. So at the least you need a call center, field techs, connectivity and a server infrastructure. I'm fairly certain the field techs and connectivity are provided by contracts in various countries/regions as there's no way they're all run by Volvo. It's possible even the call center and telematics infrastructure are outsourced. Sure, you could decouple the telematics features from the roadside assistance but there'd still need to be a service provider for connectivity as it doesn't run over an internet connection.

But I get your frustration at seeing something that others have and you don't. So keep pressuring Volvo and get all your friends to buy one to make it worthwhile for them to spin it up in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      Well, VOC isn't free so if you don't have it and you're not paying for it, you're not getting cheated.

VOC has to be linked to service providers as it combines roadside assistance along with telematics and Volvo simply doesn't have the footprint to provide that all themselves. So at the least you need a call center, field techs, connectivity and a server infrastructure. I'm fairly certain the field techs and connectivity are provided by contracts in various countries/regions as there's no way they're all run by Volvo. It's possible even the call center and telematics infrastructure are outsourced. Sure, you could decouple the telematics features from the roadside assistance but there'd still need to be a service provider for connectivity as it doesn't run over an internet connection.

But I get your frustration at seeing something that others have and you don't. So keep pressuring Volvo and get all your friends to buy one to make it worthwhile for them to spin it up in your area.
      I'm aware that it has 3rd party linked functionalities. Are you saying that functionality for remote pre-conditioning, sending of maps to cars, checking car's status remotely are 3rd PArty provided? I don't think so, though I don't know for a fact, but I'd be happy with functionality only limited to driver's remote interaction with the car and not about calling for 3rd Party towing services or any other.

Can you confirm if all current VOC functionalities are 3rd Party provided or linked?
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Looking at the picture they turned some of the components 90 degrees up in the non-fullscreen navigation app. I'm quite interested to see what other improvements / design changes we will get (maybe we even get usable lists in the iPod music selections )
      Actually we could all go and look at the online manuals for the new xc60 and see what has changed ... EDIT: I went checking and there are no manuals online yet for the new xc60
      Last edited by chmax; 03-15-2017 at 02:24 PM.
      current: July 2015/MY16 XC90 D5 Inscription amber black with polestar tuning, past: MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

I'm aware that it has 3rd party linked functionalities. Are you saying that functionality for remote pre-conditioning, sending of maps to cars, checking car's status remotely are 3rd PArty provided? I don't think so, though I don't know for a fact, but I'd be happy with functionality only limited to driver's remote interaction with the car and not about calling for 3rd Party towing services or any other.

Can you confirm if all current VOC functionalities are 3rd Party provided or linked?
      I can't confirm any of that.

What I do know is that the VOC service runs over a cellular connection. Seeing as Volvo does not operate their own cellular network in any region that I know of, they must be contracting with providers in the areas they offer the service.

As for whether their call centers and telematics operations are contracted as well is completely unknown to me, but I would not be surprised to find that they had partnered with someone like Directed here in the US to provide the telematics features instead of trying to build their own infrastructure.

Our XC90s were in service a couple of weeks ago and the Service Manager informed me that a major update is coming - I believe he said April.
      2016 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Osmium Grey, Blond Int. / Conv. Pkg / Vision Pkg. /Climate Pkg. /20" Rims
      2016 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Black Onyx Metallic, Blond/Charcoal Int. / Conv. Pkg. / Vision Pkg. / 20" Rims

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      I can't confirm any of that.

What I do know is that the VOC service runs over a cellular connection. Seeing as Volvo does not operate their own cellular network in any region that I know of, they must be contracting with providers in the areas they offer the service.

As for whether their call centers and telematics operations are contracted as well is completely unknown to me, but I would not be surprised to find that they had partnered with someone like Directed here in the US to provide the telematics features instead of trying to build their own infrastructure.
      Well, I'll take it that Volvo has a very sophisticated system in place requiring them to make costly arrangements with 3rd Parties, for I really fail to understand why I can't have the functionality to send maps to car and check vehicle's status without Volvo having to have service agreements with 3rd Parties other than setting internet connectivity as a prerequisite.

Thanks for your explanation and patience
      ------

The sensus system description document has been updated with new screenshots.
      XC90 2017 T8 Inscription Ice White/Amber Interior

Well, I'll take it that Volvo has a very sophisticated system in place requiring them to make costly arrangements with 3rd Parties, for I really fail to understand why I can't have the functionality to send maps to car and check vehicle's status without Volvo having to have service agreements with 3rd Parties other than setting internet connectivity as a prerequisite.

I think for auto manufacturers, the idea of a connected car is still relatively new, especially one that would be part of the Internet of Things (IoT). So they perhaps default to what they know - proprietary, established networks.

I don't necessarily disagree with them. There's already been proof of concept hacks against wifi-enabled vehicles from FCA and others. So the idea of my vehicle essentially being an IoT device from a company that hasn't fully gotten up to speed with what that means from a security and reliability side would bother me a bit. Maybe that's why we've got two cellular modems in our vehicles - one for VOC and one for Sensus. It could be a type of firewall against problems that the Internet connected side could bring to the rest of the vehicle.

I'm liking the update to the navigation tile. They moved all the action buttons to the driver-side (finally!) and they also removed the collapsed 4th tile so the main window is bigger.

Still awaiting Android Auto for MY16 though...

Quote Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
      I'm liking the update to the navigation tile. They moved all the action buttons to the driver-side (finally!) and they also removed the collapsed 4th tile so the main window is bigger.

Still awaiting Android Auto for MY16 though...
      I like it, too. I like that you can now see ETA and distance remaining but wish this was also extended to the collapsed tile on the home screen which it does not appear to from the press images.

The VOC app looks like most of the changes are to the way you access settings and that the other features were left as-is. There is something about in-car delivery which is new and I assume related to their new concierge service perhaps.

The hardware simply may not be there, some hardware may not be interconnected, or the programming necessary to make that happen isn't possible. There are many reasons why an older system can't be upgraded to preform tasks that are available on new system. I'm sure someone that bought a 2000 MY felt cheated when VOC became available the following year.

it'd be interesting to see them offer this to current cars from the SPA generation. HOWEVER....i don't see that happening. I wish they would not for my benefit but because even a 2016 model is viewed as "new" in the Volvo product line and therefore it'd behoove them to consider their presence and exposure.

interested to see what happens.
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner

I wish we didn't have to go to a service appointment to get updates. The first one to get this at service please post here.
      Last edited by xgman; 03-15-2017 at 03:52 PM.

According to that the VOC app has gone through a total redesign.

ah i stand corrected: "The new Volvo On Call updates will apply to all new models across the brand and to Volvo On Call enabled cars back to 2012. The Sensus user interface design in the new XC60 will come pre-installed in new 90 Series cars. Existing 90 Series cars will be updated at the next service."
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner

what do you want to bet means next service in 2018. ugg...

i'd assume next service after first XC60's roll out. but really i'm hoping they'll roll it out for us to TEST before The XC60's so that the XC60's have a smoother roll out.

Isn't the new XC60 a MY18 car? Meaning we might not get the update until the fall?
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ | Vision Package | Polestar | Crystal White Metallic/Charcoal interior (light beige headliner) - first Volvo and loving it!
      3M Driver/Passenger tint, clear paint protection film (full hood + front), Weather Tech mats (all 3 rows), OEM: 3 piece cargo tray, tow hitch, rear bumper strip, mud flaps, low profile roof rack

a 2018 model cannot be sold until after some specific week in January of the year before. So Can't sell a 2018 model until Jan "XX" of 2017 - meaning all vehicles can be labelled as 2018 by now - if they wanted to

If it's the same schedule as the XC90s, the MY17 XC90s were arriving ~Aug of 2016 at my dealer. At the beginning of July 2016, I had the option of buying my MY16 off the lot or waiting a few weeks until the dealer received their MY17s to get the new standard inclusions (e.g. Apple CarPlay, etc).
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ | Vision Package | Polestar | Crystal White Metallic/Charcoal interior (light beige headliner) - first Volvo and loving it!
      3M Driver/Passenger tint, clear paint protection film (full hood + front), Weather Tech mats (all 3 rows), OEM: 3 piece cargo tray, tow hitch, rear bumper strip, mud flaps, low profile roof rack

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleorchid View Post
      If it's the same schedule as the XC90s, the MY17 XC90s were arriving ~Aug of 2016 at my dealer. At the beginning of July 2016, I had the option of buying my MY16 off the lot or waiting a few weeks until the dealer received their MY17s to get the new standard inclusions (e.g. Apple CarPlay, etc).
      Pretty close here. My 2017 XC90 arrived just after July 4th last year. I believe mine was one of the first week of production of 2017s.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
      Pretty close here. My 2017 XC90 arrived just after July 4th last year. I believe mine was one of the first week of production of 2017s.
      Model year 2017s went into production at the end of April, IIRC it was week 16.
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*
      15 BMW 328d xDrive Sports Wagon M Sport
      15 Audi SQ5 Prestige

Yep, mine was week 16.

MY XC90 was built in January 2017 so technically a 2018 :P

Got my car back from service today. They did perform a total SW update to fix apps that wouldn't update / install. Did not receive the new Sensus interface described above.

From Volvo USA:

We do not currently have dates of availability for this, but if you are signed up for news and updates on Volvo, you will receive more information once it is released

Quote Originally Posted by GatorVolvo View Post
      Got my car back from service today. They did perform a total SW update to fix apps that wouldn't update / install. Did not receive the new Sensus interface described above.
      Curious, does your Sensus reboot now at all and does your weather app work fine?

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      Curious, does your Sensus reboot now at all and does your weather app work fine?
      I only made a short (< 10 mi) trip to work so far. Sensus didn't reboot and the weather app worked fine the couple of times I accessed it.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast