Is a major Sensus update imminent? - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by catflap View Post
      Had my XC90 T8 R-Design into the dealers to have my 'red key' installed.
      Whilst there I had a 'grumble' at the service agent about my general dissatisfaction with the Sensus system and gave him my current list of issues with the car. The service agent told me that Volvo UK have them that the XC90's will be recalled in the next month or so to have a major 'upgrade' installed. He assured me that the items on my list would be addressed by that upgrade. Time will tell I gues.
      I love my local dealer. I can moan at them and they will get something done with a smile. I asked them about this, and they said there is an update but they're not sure when.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      I think this is unlikely. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but rather manage expectations. I think someone else had gotten a response from Volvo that this is done to be compliant with advertised fuel economy ratings. Maybe I'm remembering things wrong. It's like the whole stop/start thing - it's probably on by default for the same reasoning.

Now what they can and should do is prioritize the drive mode selector to not get slowed down while Sensus is still booting things up and modify its interface so that it doesn't stay on the screen as long as it does especially considering that it cannot be dismissed by the home button like every other screen in Sensus (they should also make it dismissable.) Also, every model should show the currently selected drive mode in the driver display like on the T8.
      If it's for fuel economy ratings, then at least let the steering wheel force and suspension stick. That would be a vast improvement.

And I agree with your suggestion to make it so the drive selector doesn't stay on the screen as long as it does. It doesn't need to.

Quote Originally Posted by carz View Post
      As far as you have cell phone connectivity, VOC should work, because it will connect to the systems/call center in your home country (paying roaming fees, but that is another story).
      This is exactly what is confusing me. Somewhere I was reading that in Europe VOC is using Sim card with Swedish number. So it should be roaming everywhere.
      But on the other hand, when I was ordering the car I had the option to pick it up from Sweden but in that case VOC would not be possible since it needs to be installed and activated by local dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by martinP View Post
      This is exactly what is confusing me. Somewhere I was reading that in Europe VOC is using Sim card with Swedish number. So it should be roaming everywhere.
      But on the other hand, when I was ordering the car I had the option to pick it up from Sweden but in that case VOC would not be possible since it needs to be installed and activated by local dealer.
      US Spec vehicles don't have access to VOC at all in Europe with no way to activate it. It would be nice if there was a way to keep it from telling me my subscription is expired every time I started the car even though I've never had a subscription to begin with.
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*
      15 BMW 328d xDrive Sports Wagon M Sport
      15 Audi SQ5 Prestige

Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      US Spec vehicles don't have access to VOC at all in Europe with no way to activate it. It would be nice if there was a way to keep it from telling me my subscription is expired every time I started the car even though I've never had a subscription to begin with.
      That would make sense since US spec would use US sim card. But here in Europe the situation would be different and I believe it would not make sense to use local SIM card for each country.

And I agree there should be better way how to inform you.

Anyone have an update on when the sensus update will be available for us?
      I'm due for my 30K maintenance, and dont want to have to take it in twice, if an update shows up a week later.

Got to try it out a little bit and much more responsive and new features and colors on the interface. Also see new gas warning

Great so it's out? Did you have to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by christopher.moor View Post

Got to try it out a little bit and much more responsive and new features and colors on the interface. Also see new gas warning

2016 XC90-R (OSD) T6-Polestar

Here is the video I shot of the Sensus in the New XC60 at the New York Auto Show. https://youtu.be/PNyhO9InWNE

2016 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription / Osmium Grey Metallic / 21" 8-Spoke Diamond Cut Wheels / Charcoal Ventilated Perforated Leather / Charcoal Headliner / Climate / Convenience / Vision / CarPlay / Protection Plus / Polestar+
      Traded In at 161k miles - 2011.5 XC60 T6 R-Design AWD / Cosmic White / Off Black Leather w/ Beige / Polestar / Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by XC90-Will View Post
      Great so it's out? Did you have to ask?
      No I was at the press event for the NY auto show- through my company and got to see the new sensus

The new XC60 is open to the public at the auto show.

2016 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription / Osmium Grey Metallic / 21" 8-Spoke Diamond Cut Wheels / Charcoal Ventilated Perforated Leather / Charcoal Headliner / Climate / Convenience / Vision / CarPlay / Protection Plus / Polestar+
      Traded In at 161k miles - 2011.5 XC60 T6 R-Design AWD / Cosmic White / Off Black Leather w/ Beige / Polestar / Fully Loaded

I got curious and asked service manager at the nearby dealership where I have purchased the car recently. He told me that major software update for XC 90 is planned for the week 17. Fingers crossed.

Still seems slow, with not much different.

The Sensus update I'll appreciate more would be that Volvo needs to do on navigation. For example, we should be able to :
      1. search for destination using only the names of junction/ intersection streets. Why does Volvo want us to specify all other address details before it can enable the junction entry field?
      2. specify coordinates in dedicated search screen with options to toggle formats, without having to remember what a negative coordinate means and whether we need to search using South/ North values first or East/ West.
      3. get options ala Google/ Apple maps showing 2 or more different routes simultaneously we could choose rather than only rely on the settings upfront of choosing faster/ eco etc routes
      4. get messages displayed of the next garage within the navigated route or certain radius of the car's current location when fuel is at a certain level, say below half tank, just as the car cleverly does when it senses driver fatigue. It automatically recommends coffee/ rest stop areas the driver can go to without driver prompting or input. Volvo should extend that clever algorithm to the fuel consumption screen to auto display next available service stations once fuel becomes low.
      5. have 3 step map display modes: minimum, medium and max. What we currently have as max should actually be called medium because the car does not make full use of the entire screen, but leaves space for HVAC at the bottom and other infor at the top. In max mode, the entire screen should hide everything but only display the map to cover evry corner and inch of the screen. Only when we press the home button can it then minimise or go to one size below the currently displayed one. that way we can then access other functions like HVAC/ Phones etc. I really like a fully displayed map and nothing else distracting that view
      Last edited by Seti; 04-15-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: add 5th point
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Week 22 is the estimated release time.

MY16 XC90 T8, Inscription, Onyx Black
      Vision, Conv, HUD, Climate, B&W, 4-Corner Susp., PAII

Quote Originally Posted by Uukonjack View Post

That seems about right. Usuually major release is around May time frame. My dealer did indicate that a major one is coming but did not have all the details.
      2016 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Osmium Grey, Blond Int. / Conv. Pkg / Vision Pkg. /Climate Pkg. /20" Rims
      2016 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Black Onyx Metallic, Blond/Charcoal Int. / Conv. Pkg. / Vision Pkg. / 20" Rims

Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      The Sensus update I'll appreciate more would be that Volvo needs to do on navigation. For example, we should be able to :
      1. search for destination using only the names of junction/ intersection streets. Why does Volvo want us to specify all other address details before it can enable the junction entry field?
      2. specify coordinates in dedicated search screen with options to toggle formats, without having to remember what a negative coordinate means and whether we need to search using South/ North values first or East/ West.
      3. get options ala Google/ Apple maps showing 2 or more different routes simultaneously we could choose rather than only rely on the settings upfront of choosing faster/ eco etc routes
      4. get messages displayed of the next garage within the navigated route or certain radius of the car's current location when fuel is at a certain level, say below half tank, just as the car cleverly does when it senses driver fatigue. It automatically recommends coffee/ rest stop areas the driver can go to without driver prompting or input. Volvo should extend that clever algorithm to the fuel consumption screen to auto display next available service stations once fuel becomes low.
      5. have 3 step map display modes: minimum, medium and max. What we currently have as max should actually be called medium because the car does not make full use of the entire screen, but leaves space for HVAC at the bottom and other infor at the top. In max mode, the entire screen should hide everything but only display the map to cover evry corner and inch of the screen. Only when we press the home button can it then minimise or go to one size below the currently displayed one. that way we can then access other functions like HVAC/ Phones etc. I really like a fully displayed map and nothing else distracting that view
      These are great ideas. If we didn't have Waze or Google Maps to compare it to, I'm sure we would all be incredibly impressed with the capabilities of modern in car nav. But Google and Apple have access to massive data centers with traffic data updated in real time. In car nav does all of its crunching and calculating with the data it has as of its last map update - traffic data is usually stale and comes in after you've already chosen a route and are underway.

Routing is a pretty simple problem. Routing with regards to current traffic conditions is really hard. You really need up to the second data - I don't think in car nav will get that for a long time.

2017 XC90 M+ P* / Magic Blue & Amber

Quote Originally Posted by Jazx83 View Post
      Here is the video I shot of the Sensus in the New XC60 at the New York Auto Show. https://youtu.be/PNyhO9InWNE

Well, I have to say that I do not like the new colors. The Sensus graphical design was very decent originally, this new colorfull interface design looks cheap in comparison. I wish I could opt for not updating, but that is unlikely. :-(

So, once I update, I would like to finally see these improvements, rather than colors:

1. I want to see the whole FM RDS text (the name of the song playing) on one screen without scrolling. With such a huge didsplay, I can not understand Volvo has made the number of characters available for the song title display much less than in older Volvo cars with much smaller display.

2. I want to see the name of the FM RDS text information also on the drivers display. The song information is there for CD, so why not for FM ?

3. I want to have one-click access from media player to sound controls like Bass/Treble/EQ, currently it takes about FIVE clicks to adjust bass/treble !

4. In the media player, be it a CD or USB, I want the song list to scroll down automatically when next song plays, so that I can see the song currently being played listed in the middle of the song list.

5. For USB player, I would like to have the option of searching for albums by artists name, currently I can only search for an album by albums name. It would be also nice to be able to browse folders on the USB stick.

So it does not show the tyre pressure anymore ?

I have some doubts about the requirement to recalibrate the iTPMS system if tire pressures are changed.
      How can the indirect system sense a false problem if all 4 tires are in/deflated with the same amount?

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra View Post
      I have some doubts about the requirement to recalibrate the iTPMS system if tire pressures are changed.
      How can the indirect system sense a false problem if all 4 tires are in/deflated with the same amount?
      My guess is that, the system knows the tire rpm, engine rpm, and gear ratio. It can control the latter two variables, while monitoring slight changes in the tire rpm?

EDIT - realized this doesn't make sense...well, I don't know now!
      Last edited by jiehan; 04-20-2017 at 10:25 PM.
      Current: 2017 XC90 T6 Momentum (Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience)
      Previous: 2015.5 XC60 Drive-E T5 Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Uukonjack View Post

Darn. Going in for my 2 year service the week before and can't change it because of my schedule and need for the vehicle. Guess I may have to wait until late fall for the 'new' Sensus then. Maybe it'll be for the better, more time to get more inevitable bugs worked out.
      Currently Own:

2016 Volvo XC90 First Edition (Delivered May 2015)

2017 Audi Q7 (Delivered February 2016)

The system use ABS to monitor tire pressure.

No I was at the press event for the NY auto show- through my company and got to see the new sensus

You had me going thinking it was in an actual XC90.

You saying its smoother but in the video Jazx83 posted I can actually see the same stutter and slowness in some interactions...
      Last edited by PhatboyC; 04-21-2017 at 08:38 AM.
      ---------------------------------------------
      2017 XC90 T5 Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience, Climate, 7 Amber Seats, 20's, Invi-hitch

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra View Post
      You are not mistaken with your concern about iTPMS being unable to detect such a scenario. It is designed to detect air pressure loss from a failed tire, not gradual loss over time that might affect all tires. With iTPMS you must be sure to check tire pressure manually just as with a non-TPMS vehicle to ensure the optimal pressure is present. dTPMS is better in this regard as it does show you individual tire pressures albeit at a much higher cost.

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
      So it does not show the tyre pressure anymore ?
      XC90 switched to iTPMS with MY17 instead of dTPMS on MY16. I do not know what MY18 will use. iTPMS cannot display individual tire pressures, it can only show you tire pressure differences between the other tires to detect ones that are lower than another such as in the case of a leaking tire.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post

You saying its smoother but in the video Jazx83 posted I can actually see the same stutter and slowness in some interactions...
      Maybe I am a bit to hopeful...

Quote Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post

Maybe it should be considered that this software is probably not final..? Also, the hardware is still the same so I wouldn't expect any huge changes unless the underlying OS is updated to some new version which may be the case, but I doubt it. Everything I have seen points to user interface and graphics changes, not core functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoaVolvo View Post
      Maybe it should be considered that this software is probably not final..? Also, the hardware is still the same so I wouldn't expect any huge changes unless the underlying OS is updated to some new version which may be the case, but I doubt it. Everything I have seen points to user interface and graphics changes, not core functionality.
      One article I've read has indicated that there were changes made to make it more responsive. I do consider the changes made to the navigation, media and phone interfaces to be core as those are the most used features. Perhaps you meant the underlying OS which I would be surprised if it weren't essentially the same. But who knows, maybe they did go through their version of something like Google's Project Butter where they spent time reducing input lag and speeding up animations to just make it feel faster even if the screen/GPU can't draw any faster than it did before.

I'd really like to know if they've made changes to the climate system interface to allow seat heat and ventilation settings to be changed by two people at the same time and make it more responsive.

I'm curious if they've adjusted how CarPlay/Android Auto make use of the display. It's pretty clear that the original/current Sensus was designed with those modules being treated effectively as any other app even though they replace a lot of Sensus functionality. EG right now if I'm driving our XC90, I have a gorgeous Sensus display that shows the following:

Navigating through Android Auto
      Media playing through Android Auto
      Phone connected through Android Auto
      The actual Android Auto display, hacked down into around half of the Sensus display

It's definitely not the end of the world, but there's a lot of wasted space simply telling me that I'm using Android Auto. It'd be nice to have the ability to use the whole screen for Android Auto.

My other big wish is for Android Auto navigation prompts to find their way to the HUD/driver display.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
      I'm curious if they've adjusted how CarPlay/Android Auto make use of the display. It's pretty clear that the original/current Sensus was designed with those modules being treated effectively as any other app even though they replace a lot of Sensus functionality. EG right now if I'm driving our XC90, I have a gorgeous Sensus display that shows the following:

Navigating through Android Auto
      Media playing through Android Auto
      Phone connected through Android Auto
      The actual Android Auto display, hacked down into around half of the Sensus display

It's definitely not the end of the world, but there's a lot of wasted space simply telling me that I'm using Android Auto. It'd be nice to have the ability to use the whole screen for Android Auto.

My other big wish is for Android Auto navigation prompts to find their way to the HUD/driver display.
      Can't agree more - have Apple CarPlay and experiencing the same. I would love to see turn-by-turn in the instrument panel; CarPlay is already exposing turn-by-turn information to the head unit (Sensus)--it's just that Volvo isn't using it yet.

EDIT - source: https://developer.apple.com/videos/p.../723/?time=164

This is not a complaint so much as an observation: from what I can see here and from the youtube demo, I don't see much difference, either visually or functionally.

I was hoping for a more customizable home screen. The "Phone" tile, for example, is 95% worthless to me, and I would like to be able to replace it with another app that I use more often. Or having the option to set up the home screen so that we could fit 8 tiles on the home page (ala the CarPlay app), rather than 4.
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

Quote Originally Posted by jiehan View Post
      Can't agree more - have Apple CarPlay and experiencing the same. I would love to see turn-by-turn in the instrument panel; CarPlay is already exposing turn-by-turn information to the head unit (Sensus)--it's just that Volvo isn't using it yet.

EDIT - source: https://developer.apple.com/videos/p.../723/?time=164
      Yes, these requests are part on Volvo and part on Google/Apple to address. The showing of turn-by-turn info on a separate display is a feature of both AA and CarPlay yet Volvo has not implemented either nor given any indication as to if or when they might at least from anything I've read.

As for the wasted space on the center display, that's probably up to Google and Apple to lead the way. My understanding is that the screen sizes supported are limited to a wide aspect ratio as seen in Sensus and other manufacturer's implementations although I believe this may have changed or be changing soon considering Android Auto can now run on phones in portrait orientation.

A bigger problem for both but especially CarPlay is the dearth of apps built to support those interfaces. I hope this changes dramatically over the next few years as more and more vehicles equipped with the ability to display apps on the headunit get on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      Yes, these requests are part on Volvo and part on Google/Apple to address. The showing of turn-by-turn info on a separate display is a feature of both AA and CarPlay yet Volvo has not implemented either nor given any indication as to if or when they might at least from anything I've read.

As for the wasted space on the center display, that's probably up to Google and Apple to lead the way. My understanding is that the screen sizes supported are limited to a wide aspect ratio as seen in Sensus and other manufacturer's implementations although I believe this may have changed or be changing soon considering Android Auto can now run on phones in portrait orientation.

A bigger problem for both but especially CarPlay is the dearth of apps built to support those interfaces. I hope this changes dramatically over the next few years as more and more vehicles equipped with the ability to display apps on the headunit get on the market.
      Yes... Google Maps is #1 on my wish list, and #2 (although not app-related) is to have Volvo display the next turn information from CarPlay in the instrument panel.

Quote Originally Posted by badcyclist View Post
      This is not a complaint so much as an observation: from what I can see here and from the youtube demo, I don't see much difference, either visually or functionally.

I was hoping for a more customizable home screen. The "Phone" tile, for example, is 95% worthless to me, and I would like to be able to replace it with another app that I use more often. Or having the option to set up the home screen so that we could fit 8 tiles on the home page (ala the CarPlay app), rather than 4.
      ^ This. I agree, absolutely. I do hope whatever update it is, it fixes the bugs/reboots I've been having since I had a "total upgrade" done earlier this month. Guys over on the S/V90 forum are reporting similar issues.
      16 XC90 T6 Inscription
      12 VW Eos Executive
      04 Land Rover Discovery

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast