Is a major Sensus update imminent? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by fudge View Post
      The sensus system description document has been updated with new screenshots.
      Interesting:

Volvo’s growing range of Twin Engine plug-in hybrid
      cars is supported by a charging function in Volvo On
      Call that allows you to monitor the status of the highvoltage
      battery and even allows you to pre-program
      charge times
      . It will also remind you if you forget to
      plug-in your Twin Engine to the charging station.

Very happy to see this feature coming, since charging over night is cheaper here!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan LV View Post
      The hardware simply may not be there, some hardware may not be interconnected, or the programming necessary to make that happen isn't possible. There are many reasons why an older system can't be upgraded to preform tasks that are available on new system. I'm sure someone that bought a 2000 MY felt cheated when VOC became available the following year.
      But what hardware are you referring to because I have the same car as yous? Why can't I have the same hardware you have on the same car made by the same factoy?
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      But what hardware are you referring to because I have the same car as yous? Why can't I have the same hardware you have on the same car made by the same factoy?
      Regional variations are a fact of life in almost every global product. Regulations and compatibility with regional infrastructures have to be considered. Leaving a component out that wouldn't work or otherwise isn't needed in a particular region is just common practice. For example, here in the US we can't get the fuel fired heater or front grille louvers and the electric tow bar isn't available.

This extends to other products as well. Look at your phone - I'd be willing to bet it doesn't have a digital TV receiver as is common in some Asian countries. How about your DVD player? Is it NTSC? Probably not because that wouldn't work on your TV if you're not in the Americas or some Asian countries.

It's unfortunate that some really neat stuff isn't available in certain regions but it is what it is.

This being said, I have no idea whether you have the VOC module installed or not. Do you have a VOC button above your rearview mirror? What happens if you push it?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

well there are no updates - car has been in shop to install the iPad RSE - they ran it through for updates, apparently nothing. What was even more stranger is i asked about the fuel notification and haven't gotten a straight answer
      just some cars...but for this forum:
      2016 Onyx Black Metallic XC90 T6 Inscription w/Amber
      Convenience, Vision, B&W, 4C Air, Climate, Center Booster, Protection Package
      Added: P*, PAII, Mudguards, Roof Rack, Volvo Designer Edition Roof Box, Cargo liner

Quote Originally Posted by BoogysXC90 View Post
      MY XC90 was built in January 2017 so technically a 2018 :P
      And how about mine built in February 2017?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@eyeloveteeth, that is not good, there is even a TJ out for this so you should be able to ask a straight question and receive a straight answer...
      current: July 2015/MY16 XC90 D5 Inscription amber black with polestar tuning, past: MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by martinP View Post
      And how about mine built in February 2017?

I regret to inform you MY18 is being built in April But mine's a December 2016

But we digress, maybe this update may finally bring that quick function tile we all want.
      Last edited by Another Volvo; 03-17-2017 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Volvo View Post
      I regret to inform you MY18 is being built in April But mine's a December 2016

But we digress, maybe this update may finally bring that quick function tile we all want.
      I know that it's MY2017. I was referring to what BoogysXC90 wrote.
      Let's see when it will be available. My car is still at the dealers waiting for all formalities before I will take it so let's see if it will come with new Sensus or not.

Has anyone noticed that Volvo updated their picture of the XC90 on the build page to show the new software? I still think the cars are 2017 on the builder so maybe this will be an update for us, hopefully..

At least for NA, such a major update will likely come in the form of the semi-annual software update - affectionately referred to as the May / December updates. Likely, the semi-annual update will be pushed to production in the April builds. Whether that includes any MY17 built in April remains to be seen. It is really a non-issue.

Based on previous experiences, cars that have not arrived to port will get the semi-annual updates at port. For those in transit, those cars will get the update at the dealer. For those of us who already have our cars, we will simply schedule an appointment for the update once it is announced. A little patience and most will be fine as the incremental improvements and new features are released.

In my case, I already have a May appointment scheduled with the dealer. No one really knows what will be in the semi-annual update (except Volvo). Regardless, I am looking forward to some features that I hope made it to the short list.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | Air | HUD | et al

Quote Originally Posted by chmax View Post
      @eyeloveteeth, that is not good, there is even a TJ out for this so you should be able to ask a straight question and receive a straight answer...
      Total software update would include it - dealer doesn't know every detail of the total update, so makes sense if they haven't run into the TJ before.
      Not to worry, if software is updated, the fuel indicator change is included.
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      A, we will simply schedule an appointment for the update once it is announced.
      uhh... it kind of was announced.. They said at your "next service appointment". I guess they misstated.

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      uhh... it kind of was announced.. They said at your "next service appointment". I guess they misstated.

I think this is the may update- hopefully at least

Ok, here is my understanding on how VOC works.

VOC works via the cellular/mobile network that is owned by telecommunication companies. Please note that not everyone that sells SIM card owns a network. Most are just resellers.

It appears that VOC (and any other similar systems) requires than Volvo installs some sort of equipment (servers, software etc) in the country (maybe region, depending in the countries regulations) where it want to offer it. Perhaps they need permission or contract with telecoms to install this equipment. Please note, the car has to be able to connect to some system in order to be contactable via mobile app. I believe they also need to provide 24/7 human support centre. I know Toyota/Lexus do in here.

Most likely they do not have this systems in place in your country.
      2016 XC90 D5 Inscription Twilight Bronze

My Volvo dealer told me that they'd been told that Volvo intends VOC (and by extension the remote apps and that kind of thing) to be available worldwide within three years, gradual rollout. So if it's the sort of thing you're interested in it might be on its way depending upon where you are...

Quote Originally Posted by goce View Post
      Ok, here is my understanding on how VOC works.

VOC works via the cellular/mobile network that is owned by telecommunication companies. Please note that not everyone that sells SIM card owns a network. Most are just resellers.

It appears that VOC (and any other similar systems) requires than Volvo installs some sort of equipment (servers, software etc) in the country (maybe region, depending in the countries regulations) where it want to offer it. Perhaps they need permission or contract with telecoms to install this equipment. Please note, the car has to be able to connect to some system in order to be contactable via mobile app. I believe they also need to provide 24/7 human support centre. I know Toyota/Lexus do in here.

Most likely they do not have this systems in place in your country.
      Thanks, I understand now. Hopefully Volvo will have many units sold to justify installing the server infrastructure centrally to allow us to send maps to cars and check car status remotely.

Thanks also to Phillipu. No, I do not have VOC buttons anywhere in the car. I guess there's an opportunity to provide the service to local car owners if Volvo or owners would be willing to pay me some modest subscription fee.

The buttons on near the mirror are only for the sunroof and light cluster switches.

Thanks folks for the explanation of the VOC infrastructure
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Quote Originally Posted by tillsbury View Post
      My Volvo dealer told me that they'd been told that Volvo intends VOC (and by extension the remote apps and that kind of thing) to be available worldwide within three years, gradual rollout. So if it's the sort of thing you're interested in it might be on its way depending upon where you are...
      I can't wait for it. I won't even mind having the Apps installed even if they're not yet usable.

I wonder then what would happen to some of you guys having VOC and driving to a country without that kind of infrastructure? that would be interesting to know
      ------

I can't wait for it. I won't even mind having the Apps installed even if they're not yet usable.

I wonder then what would happen to some of you guys having VOC and driving to a country without that kind of infrastructure? that would be interesting to know
      I'm pretty sure it would just not work. All of the VOC services are dependent on a cellular connection. If a compatible network isn't available and/or roaming agreements aren't in place, the vehicle simply shouldn't be able to place a call to the VOC call center or provide telemetry data.

I've had three updates already, including two that were supposedly "major" system upgrades. Each time the Sensus system got worse, replacing some bugs with others and making existing problems even worse than they were before. I am at the point now where I don't even use the HUD or navigator because I just get increasingly frustrated with the systems (that I paid a premium for).
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design
      Southern California

It's a thought. I like the idea of a smartened up Sensus interface (and find it promising that Volvo is intending to keep updating this system for the future). I'd like a better navigation interface (most notably the display of more roads and zooming in on the main display). I'd like to see the option of configurable buttons on one of the four panels of the Sensus display. The phone section is completely useless, and could easily be replaced by a set of four or eight buttons of the user's choice -- I'd choose Hold, 360 camera, and Driver Performance for a start, maybe a couple of others.

But, touch wood, I've had not a single hiccup so far in 6000+km, and I don't want that to change. So as a result I'll probably hold out until the first service and give everything a chance to get checked out before doing any upgrades, unless I have to.

Sorry that I wasn't clearer. I meant the availability of the "May 2017" update which I presume would include the Sensus upgrade. I doubt that the Sensus Upgrade is part of the rolling total upgrades, but it would be a pleasant and welcome surprise.

[I assume that the semi-annual (May and Dec,) upgrades are for major enhancements, whereas the total upgrade and service upgrades are bug fixes, operational adjustments and the like. Dunno.]
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 03-18-2017 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Added [bracketed explanation]
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | Air | HUD | et al

I know that it's MY2017. I was referring to what BoogysXC90 wrote.
      Let's see when it will be available. My car is still at the dealers waiting for all formalities before I will take it so let's see if it will come with new Sensus or not.
      I realise that. By the way, how long should delivery take from new? Maybe it will come with the Sensus refresh then.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Volvo View Post
      I realise that. By the way, how long should delivery take from new? Maybe it will come with the Sensus refresh then.
      I ordered mine in Early January and it arrived last week. It may come with new.

I was visiting car show in Geneva yesterday and talked to the dealers about the new functionalities. They confirmed that sensus update will be arriving really soon. There is a chance that my car that I should get next week would have it.

They were not really sure about the steering assist but they told it would most probably be free update once XC60 will go out so around September (taking into account that all the hardware like BLIS, etc is already in the car)

The new car configurator builders have been updated to MY2018, also the pricelist, so I believe that you can now order a MY2018 car, at least in Hungary.
      XC90 2017 T8 Inscription Ice White/Amber Interior

Had my XC90 T8 R-Design into the dealers to have my 'red key' installed.
      Whilst there I had a 'grumble' at the service agent about my general dissatisfaction with the Sensus system and gave him my current list of issues with the car. The service agent told me that Volvo UK have them that the XC90's will be recalled in the next month or so to have a major 'upgrade' installed. He assured me that the items on my list would be addressed by that upgrade. Time will tell I gues.

I really hope that with the updated sensus, we won't have to choose the drive mode every single time we use the car. I hate having to do that every single time just to get all my suspension, steering force, and transmission settings in the right place. I feel like I'm driving someone else's car when it should feel like mine. C'mon all my other cars remember these settings. Please Volvo, please...

Quote Originally Posted by dealcatcher View Post
      I really hope that with the updated sensus, we won't have to choose the drive mode every single time we use the car. I hate having to do that every single time just to get all my suspension, steering force, and transmission settings in the right place. I feel like I'm driving someone else's car when it should feel like mine. C'mon all my other cars remember these settings. Please Volvo, please...
      I think this is unlikely. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but rather manage expectations. I think someone else had gotten a response from Volvo that this is done to be compliant with advertised fuel economy ratings. Maybe I'm remembering things wrong. It's like the whole stop/start thing - it's probably on by default for the same reasoning.

Now what they can and should do is prioritize the drive mode selector to not get slowed down while Sensus is still booting things up and modify its interface so that it doesn't stay on the screen as long as it does especially considering that it cannot be dismissed by the home button like every other screen in Sensus (they should also make it dismissable.) Also, every model should show the currently selected drive mode in the driver display like on the T8.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      I think this is unlikely.
      Also, every model should show the currently selected drive mode in the driver display like on the T8.
      I agree that deal's dream is not likely to be realized, and for the reason you mentioned.

As for your other point, my base T5 shows the selected drive mode in the driver display, so I suspect they all do?
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

Quote Originally Posted by badcyclist View Post
      I agree that deal's dream is not likely to be realized, and for the reason you mentioned.

As for your other point, my base T5 shows the selected drive mode in the driver display, so I suspect they all do?
      There was another thread a while back where it was discovered that not all modes and/or themes display the current drive mode. Someone was asking how to tell what mode was selected when using the drive mode selector and didn't notice the bars that indicate the selected mode and when asked why they didn't just look at the dashboard they provided a screenshot where none was shown.

I don't actually remember whether mine shows anything if it is in the default Comfort mode-- I will check next time. But I do know that it says, in big letters right underneath the tachometer, "Individual," "Manual," "Off-Road" or "Dynamic."
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

Same here. Not sure about the Comfort mode, but does show the others. I'm using Minimalistic theme if that matters.
      2016 XC90 D5 Inscription Twilight Bronze

I will be able to answer this in like 2-3 weeks. We are planning trip in Europe. In my country VOC is available but in other countries we are going to visit it's not. But I believe it would work.

Don't forget VOC is not only the mobile app and remote starts, unlocking, etc. It's also the whole infrastructure behind it including call centre that according to Volvo speaks local language as well as English. There was paper about it somewhere (I don't remember where). I believe this is the most crucial part and reason why it's not available globally yet.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      I think this is unlikely.

Now what they can and should do is prioritize the drive mode selector to not get slowed down while Sensus is still booting things up and modify its interface so that it doesn't stay on the screen as long as it does especially considering that it cannot be dismissed by the home button like every other screen in Sensus (they should also make it dismissable.) Also, every model should show the currently selected drive mode in the driver display like on the T8.

Well put.

my dealer today thought April/May for the roll-out but probably just guessing.

Well put.

my dealer today thought April/May for the roll-out but probably just guessing.
      That time frame would make sense. It aligns fairly well with the factory switching over to the MY18 production and the history of releasing significant software updates in a 6-month May/November cycle.

I will be able to answer this in like 2-3 weeks. We are planning trip in Europe. In my country VOC is available but in other countries we are going to visit it's not. But I believe it would work.
      As far as you have cell phone connectivity, VOC should work, because it will connect to the systems/call center in your home country (paying roaming fees, but that is another story).

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast