New Wheels on my S60 T6 R-design (2015)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 37
    1. #1

      c3 New Wheels on my S60 T6 R-design (2015)

      Bent my OEM volvo 19 inch rim out of shape, it couldn't hold air any longer so I got these 18 inch babies to replace..

      [IMG]17350969_10206682299375157_1206049051_n
      how to up load
      [/IMG]

      [IMG]17351360_10206682299535161_1470068494_n
      how to upload photos to internet
      [/IMG]

      Really happy with the look.. also got some Toyo (Les Schwab brand) all-season tires...

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Valley Park MO
      Posts
      30
      Nice! I've been trying to decide on whether to go with black wheels or not. They always seem to show better in person than they do in photos. You can really see them in your closeup. It looks like you also stepped down a bit in tire diameter, too, no? I'm thinking 235-45-18" but you went with 225-45-18.
      Now when the snow melts, get some tire shine stuff on those Toyos!
      2015 V60 T5 Drive-E Premier+ W/19" Sport Package. Mmm...Beechwood

    4. #3
      Broken photos for me.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Miatascooter View Post
      Nice! I've been trying to decide on whether to go with black wheels or not. They always seem to show better in person than they do in photos. You can really see them in your closeup. It looks like you also stepped down a bit in tire diameter, too, no? I'm thinking 235-45-18" but you went with 225-45-18.
      Now when the snow melts, get some tire shine stuff on those Toyos!
      I think they look amazing in person, a lot 'meaner' than the ixions.. What color is your V60? Black goes really well with red and white vehicles. I could have gotten these wheels in white as well, but thought that'd look kinda cheesy.. its not a porsche! (Though i treat it like one. haha)

      Yea i got 225's, its what les schwab chose for me.. i forgot to talk with them about it.. but they still look pretty fat to me compared to the stock pirelli's. The car seems to drive a bit more comfortably than the stock ixion with pirellis, haven't really tested them for handling yet..

      The toyo's look like reliable beasts. Les schwab did tire siping on them too. I love driving my volvo like a go-kart in the snow.. it really has some great traction with the AWD. I'm keeping one of the ixions as a spare in the trunk. Need a good bag for it.

      Cheers!

    7. #5
      Quote Originally Posted by TheNip73 View Post
      Broken photos for me.
      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Here are the direct links...!

      https://ibb.co/iONcfa

      https://ibb.co/grMERF

    8. #6
      Quote Originally Posted by SwissStix View Post
      Here are the direct links...!

      https://ibb.co/iONcfa

      https://ibb.co/grMERF

      Thanks...

      I like the look. I think the little bit of silver or white accent helps to break up the black a little. I also think 18 is a good size... 19 is all rim...


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    9. #7
      Quote Originally Posted by TheNip73 View Post
      Thanks...
      19 is all rim...
      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Agreed! I also think more contact points with the rim (as opposed to spoke style wheels) results in more structural rigidity. I was pissed when I bent my front ixion out of shape (must have been on a pothole back east..)

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      Location
      Langley, British Columbia
      Posts
      506
      Eh, not a fan. Probably look better in person. Were the originals unrepairable?

    11. #9
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      Eh, not a fan. Probably look better in person. Were the originals unrepairable?
      One man's garbage is another man's gold!

      Haha yes they do look much better in person. Again, its a rather mean look for the car... but I like mean

      The wheel i screwed up is unrepairable, yes. I'm keeping the rest of them.. might order a used Ixion and switch them out for a change of scenery in the future, with dedicated summers. The Ixion's run around 320$ refurbished (not including shipping.)

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Valley Park MO
      Posts
      30
      I'm toying with some 18" Konig Oversteers.



      Both of the tires I'm considering are back ordered.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2015 V60 T5 Drive-E Premier+ W/19" Sport Package. Mmm...Beechwood

    13. #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Miatascooter View Post
      I'm toying with some 18" Konig Oversteers.



      Both of the tires I'm considering are back ordered.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      That coloring looks really good.. also about a good of a spoke design as you can get I suppose. I'm just so over the spoke thing after bending my entire wheel out of shape.

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Valley Park MO
      Posts
      30
      I hope the Oversteers aren't bendy. I like the look and the idea of saving 5 or 6 pounds of unsprung weight per corner over the 19" Bors.
      2015 V60 T5 Drive-E Premier+ W/19" Sport Package. Mmm...Beechwood

    15. #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Miatascooter View Post
      I hope the Oversteers aren't bendy. I like the look and the idea of saving 5 or 6 pounds of unsprung weight per corner over the 19" Bors.
      No idea about the actual durability of these but my gut tells me these are likely to be a lot less durable than stock wheels. Konigs are fairly inexpensive cast wheels, correct? Couple that with the fact that you aren't running much sidewall and the wheel design is light, with thin spokes and lots of open space around the edge of the rim between those spokes...seems like a design destined to bend the moment you hit a pothole. Then consider this: Is it a popular and long-running wheel design, or a model that may or may not be around 6 months from now? That's an important consideration if you ever need a replacement. Even the most reasonably priced wheels don't stay cheap for long if you bend one and then need to buy 4 different new wheels because your wheel is discontinued and a replacement is impossible to source. Decent looking design btw, just worried it could have some risks involved.

      P.S. Those thin spokes make stock brakes look TINY and wheelgap look huge. Honestly think the Bors are a better look for where you are at now, when you consider the whole picture and not just the wheel design in isolation. IMO the "airier" the wheel design, the lower you need to be to pull it off as a delicate spoke design with lots of interspace and a big wheel diameter/ small sidewall really draw the eye to any remaining wheelgap as well as showcasing visually weak-looking brakes, aesthetic niggles that OEM wheels tend to do a good job of hiding.
      Last edited by Bunnspeed; 03-16-2017 at 09:24 PM.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

      Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

    16. #14
      Member Bmo Pete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Location
      N. Maryland
      Posts
      4,733
      Quote Originally Posted by SwissStix View Post
      Agreed! I also think more contact points with the rim (as opposed to spoke style wheels) results in more structural rigidity. I was pissed when I bent my front ixion out of shape (must have been on a pothole back east..)
      Sorry Man, no offense, but just not diggin the little silver chips. From the slightest distance, that's all you see...not the rim design. Btw, I went 245/40-19's to protect the 19" rims and add comfort.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

    17. #15
      Member Bmo Pete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Location
      N. Maryland
      Posts
      4,733
      Quote Originally Posted by Miatascooter View Post
      I'm toying with some 18" Konig Oversteers.



      Both of the tires I'm considering are back ordered.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      The pic is at least 19" right?

      This looks good btw.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

    18. #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      Sorry Man, no offense, but just not diggin the little silver chips. From the slightest distance, that's all you see...not the rim design.
      I have to agree with this. To me, this design detail draws the eye unnecessarily to the silver nail-clipping shape while the rest of the wheel is lost in the darkness of the wheel well. While I am not crazy about the spoke design, either, I think it would look far better in all silver or all black, especially if you can find a Volvo center cap to make it look more factory (as such it would actually look like an OEM wheel) and less Town Fair Tire rims special. I'm super picky about wheel design, so please don't take offense to my critical feedback...I hate almost everyone's wheels, including my own Frejas
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

      Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

    19. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Valley Park MO
      Posts
      30
      Bmo Pete - that is an 18" wheel. It is an optical illusion because it's sitting in front of the (19") Bor wheel that my tire is mounted on.

      Bunnspeed - you make some good points. The wheel gap won't change from what it is now (factory R suspension). I'll just be running 1/2" more sidewall. The brake assemblies will be more visible, though. The thing that does concern me is bending a wheel. I had not considered the fact that the V60 is a lot heavier than a Miata (the only other vehicle I've bought aftermarket wheels for - a bunch - without ever bending one.)
      Last edited by Miatascooter; 03-16-2017 at 10:38 PM.
      2015 V60 T5 Drive-E Premier+ W/19" Sport Package. Mmm...Beechwood

    20. #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      I have to agree with this. To me, this design detail draws the eye unnecessarily to the silver nail-clipping shape while the rest of the wheel is lost in the darkness of the wheel well. While I am not crazy about the spoke design, either, I think it would look far better in all silver or all black, especially if you can find a Volvo center cap to make it look more factory (as such it would actually look like an OEM wheel) and less Town Fair Tire rims special. I'm super picky about wheel design, so please don't take offense to my critical feedback...I hate almost everyone's wheels, including my own Frejas
      Oh, no offense taken! I don't notice the silver when looking at it in person. That photo was taken in direct sunlight. It really just looks black. I care alot more about the performance boost anyways. These are rotary forged, very light wheels. The car gets power to the ground noticeably quicker, although there is more road feel in the steering wheel.

    21. #19
      Member Bmo Pete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Location
      N. Maryland
      Posts
      4,733
      Quote Originally Posted by SwissStix View Post
      These are rotary forged, very light wheels.
      Stronger and lighter definitely helps handling and feel performance (though strength varies by manufacturer). I'm curious why you went with the narrower 225 tread width tires? Was it a package deal? In this case, less is not more, IMO. I know you're saving some "unsprung weight", etc., with these lighter wheels (are you auto-crossing, does it matter with a 2 ton slushbox point-n-shoot sedan with shabby brakes? ), but you're losing some tire contact patch area and some wheel protection/comfort you would have with a 235/45-18 set-up.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

    22. #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      Stronger and lighter definitely helps handling and feel performance (though strength varies by manufacturer). I'm curious why you went with the narrower 225 tread width tires? Was it a package deal? In this case, less is not more, IMO. I know you're saving some "unsprung weight", etc., with these lighter wheels (are you auto-crossing, does it matter with a 2 ton slushbox point-n-shoot sedan with shabby brakes? ), but you're losing some tire contact patch area and some wheel protection/comfort you would have with a 235/45-18 set-up.
      I live in Idaho.. roads are just about always perfectly straight with lots of opportunities to accelerate for "passing purposes." Took a 1.5 drive yesterday, and the acceleration difference is noticeable. Les Schwab recommended the 225 for the increased traction in the snow. It snows a lot in Idaho.

    23. #21
      Member Bmo Pete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Location
      N. Maryland
      Posts
      4,733
      Quote Originally Posted by SwissStix View Post
      I live in Idaho.. roads are just about always perfectly straight with lots of opportunities to accelerate for "passing purposes." Took a 1.5 drive yesterday, and the acceleration difference is noticeable. Les Schwab recommended the 225 for the increased traction in the snow. It snows a lot in Idaho.
      Yep, was gonna say, unless you're using for deep snow travel. Les is correct, if you are looking for that incremental increase in traction in an all season tire for cutting through deep snow. Many on here would say, if it snows that much, that often, go with 225 dedicated snow tires. I've honestly had good luck with my 245 Pirelli P7 Cints Plus blasting through heavy snow storms, covered roads without a worry... Some would say I was taking risks, but those tires and AWD made the car feel very stable and secure. We only get a handful of decent snows here though.

      Keep us posted on how they do in the snow!
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

    24. #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      Yep, was gonna say, unless you're using for deep snow travel. Les is correct, if you are looking for that incremental increase in traction in an all season tire for cutting through deep snow. Many on here would say, if it snows that much, that often, go with 225 dedicated snow tires. I've honestly had good luck with my 245 Pirelli P7 Cints Plus blasting through heavy snow storms, covered roads without a worry... Some would say I was taking risks, but those tires and AWD made the car feel very stable and secure. We only get a handful of decent snows here though.

      Keep us posted on how they do in the snow!
      The AWD and low center of gravity made my T6 R-design hell in the snow, even on the stock 19 inch Pirellis. I felt the need to disable traction control when I wanted to have a bit more fun, otherwise the car just stays going straight. I'm sure these tires will do even better. Nothing beats a 3am run around town when the plows are out during a storm.. plenty of banks to blast through sideways!!

      Heres a few more photos.. for reasons..

      [IMG]17391772_10206695966916837_1928511037_n
      17392250_10206695967796859_1454411191_n
      photo hosting service
      [/IMG]


      https://ibb.co/ngfgrF
      https://ibb.co/jahGQa
      Last edited by SwissStix; 03-18-2017 at 12:06 AM.

    25. #23
      Junior Member A4Avant's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      NY 10925
      Posts
      531
      Honestly not a fan of this wheel. I'm sure if it was all silver it would look 'classier' the black and silver accents don't work with all the silver trim on your car.


      Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      2002 V70 T5 .....looking for Gobi R seats (F), H&R Lowering Springs
      2003 BTA4Avant
      ..... Built Motor, Comp Turbo CT5147
      IG: avantneil

    26. #24
      Junior Member A4Avant's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      NY 10925
      Posts
      531
      Quote Originally Posted by Miatascooter View Post
      I'm toying with some 18" Konig Oversteers.



      Both of the tires I'm considering are back ordered.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      That's a nice setup! I've been toying with them as well for my V70. Decent wheel for the price and they hold up despite the negative comments about then in here.
      I ran both 18' and 19' on my Audi's for yrs commuting into/out of NYC roads. Never bent one wheel, cracked etc.
      My BBS Ch's never bent either but they did bend out of shape. They were like eggs!


      Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      2002 V70 T5 .....looking for Gobi R seats (F), H&R Lowering Springs
      2003 BTA4Avant
      ..... Built Motor, Comp Turbo CT5147
      IG: avantneil

    27. #25
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Valley Park MO
      Posts
      30
      Quote Originally Posted by A4Avant View Post
      That's a nice setup! I've been toying with them as well for my V70. Decent wheel for the price and they hold up despite the negative comments about then in here.
      I ran both 18' and 19' on my Audi's for yrs commuting into/out of NYC roads. Never bent one wheel, cracked etc.
      My BBS Ch's never bent either but they did bend out of shape. They were like eggs!
      Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      Thanks for the input - it really makes feel better about going with these wheels.

      Now I just need either Pirelli to make some more P-Zero A/S or BFG to make some more G-Force Comp2 A/S in 235-45-18" so I can get on with it!
      2015 V60 T5 Drive-E Premier+ W/19" Sport Package. Mmm...Beechwood

    28. #26
      Junior Member A4Avant's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      NY 10925
      Posts
      531
      Quote Originally Posted by Miatascooter View Post
      Thanks for the input - it really makes feel better about going with these wheels.

      Now I just need either Pirelli to make some more P-Zero A/S or BFG to make some more G-Force Comp2 A/S in 235-45-18" so I can get on with it!
      Not a fan of either of those tires.

      Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      2002 V70 T5 .....looking for Gobi R seats (F), H&R Lowering Springs
      2003 BTA4Avant
      ..... Built Motor, Comp Turbo CT5147
      IG: avantneil

    29. #27
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Valley Park MO
      Posts
      30
      How come? I've never driven on either, but their Tire Rack evaluations look very good for all season tires. What don't you like about them?
      2015 V60 T5 Drive-E Premier+ W/19" Sport Package. Mmm...Beechwood

    30. #28
      Junior Member A4Avant's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      NY 10925
      Posts
      531
      Quote Originally Posted by Miatascooter View Post
      How come? I've never driven on either, but their Tire Rack evaluations look very good for all season tires. What don't you like about them?
      The all season compound. I prefer a dedicated spring/summer tire. And dedicated wintertire.
      The harder compound doesn't allow for good driving performance for me I feel.

      Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      2002 V70 T5 .....looking for Gobi R seats (F), H&R Lowering Springs
      2003 BTA4Avant
      ..... Built Motor, Comp Turbo CT5147
      IG: avantneil

    31. #29
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Valley Park MO
      Posts
      30
      Have you driven either one of them, or is it just the all-seasoniness in theory? I'm looking for year-round tires. Prolly won't drive in snow. I'm also not looking for a max performance summer tire (that's what the Miata is for).

      I'm also just learning how to drive an automatic . Front wheel drive no less. Sometimes I still can't believe I bought this car! Really like it so far. I have to admit, I really miss having a manual transmission.
      2015 V60 T5 Drive-E Premier+ W/19" Sport Package. Mmm...Beechwood

    32. #30
      Junior Member A4Avant's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      NY 10925
      Posts
      531
      Quote Originally Posted by Miatascooter View Post
      Have you driven either one of them, or is it just the all-seasoniness in theory? I'm looking for year-round tires. Prolly won't drive in snow. I'm also not looking for a max performance summer tire (that's what the Miata is for).

      I'm also just learning how to drive an automatic . Front wheel drive no less. Sometimes I still can't believe I bought this car! Really like it so far. I have to admit, I really miss having a manual transmission.
      I miss it too! I just sold the go fast car. 6speed A4 Avant with built motor and big turbo. But my kids didn't fit in car anymore. Sold and grabbed for me a unicorn of cars. 2010 C6 A6 3.0t Avant. Automatic.


      If looking for a yr around tire then the Allseason is what you need. Most like the DWS tires...personally I hate them. I'm a fan of the Hankook and Simitomo tires. I'll be picking up all new tires for both wagons as the snow tires will eventually come off.
      New Audi came with only snows, and the V70 tires were shot so I threw on Snow tires for this relatively warm (up until now) winter.



      Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      Last edited by A4Avant; 03-18-2017 at 06:43 PM.
      2002 V70 T5 .....looking for Gobi R seats (F), H&R Lowering Springs
      2003 BTA4Avant
      ..... Built Motor, Comp Turbo CT5147
      IG: avantneil

    33. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Valley Park MO
      Posts
      30
      Boy those Sumitomos are cheap!

      For Summer tires I'm a big fan of the Hankook Ventus-RS3 on my Miata. The BFG Rival is supposed to be the shish now, but I've never driven it.

      Nice pic of the A6 BTW.
      Last edited by Miatascooter; 03-18-2017 at 07:50 PM.
      2015 V60 T5 Drive-E Premier+ W/19" Sport Package. Mmm...Beechwood

    34. #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Miatascooter View Post
      Boy those Sumitomos are cheap!

      For Summer tires I'm a big fan of the Hankook Ventus-RS3 on my Miata. The BFG Rival is supposed to be the shish now, but I've never driven it.

      Nice pic of the A6 BTW.
      I ran the Kook RS3 on my modded, bigger-turbo (K04) GTI because they were known for having a softish sidewall for a track-oriented street tire. After I hit about 300whp, the limitations of fwd became very clear, and I was blowing off my all-seasons in gears 1-3 constantly, so I started looking at creative options for gaining street traction. Other auto-x style tires I have run on powerfulish fwd cars don't hook up well in a straight line, from a dig, because the weight transfers off the drive wheels at the hit, and the stiff sidewall makes it that much easier to shock the contact patch. Long story short, most racy tires don't hook well on a fwd car in a straight line, but the RS3 sticks better than most (in a straight line) on a fwd car because not only does it have that tacky rubber compound, but a compliant sidewall, which is why I chose them for my GTI. The DWS Contis I ran after that didn't hook nearly as well but were much more livable 90% of the time.

      Off-the-line traction isn't a problem on an awd car (at least one with only ~300hp divided between 4 wheels, with additional Volvo torque limiting detuning in the lower gears preventing any real possibility of spin at the hit), so unless you plan on tracking that car, I wouldn't want to run the RS3 on a daily driver near-lux sedan. It's overkill for this type of car unless you are at the track. Even on my GTI, dig race and low-speed-accelerating-out-of-a-corner traction aside, they were a big compromise in many respects, relative to a more street-oriented sporty tire. They don't have any grip below 40 or so degrees F, they hydroplane easily and at much lower speeds than you are proly accustomed to with "normal" tires (and are downright dangerous when you hit any standing water at highway speeds), and they are noisy, which may not be a big deal on a miata that already has a ton of ambient noise, but would ruin the serenety of a comfy sedan that is quiet yet happens to be really sensitive to tire noise. With the RS3, as with other autox tires I've daily'd in the past, I liked them but was generally only happy with them in a narrow context and preferred dailying on all-seasons even if it meant giving up 10% of my grip under ideal circumstances...they were enough of a compromise in many other situations that I would have been able to get more real-world performance out of quality all-seasons, like my Volvo's current Pilot Sport AS3+ tires, which are both racy-feeling and also very livable from a quietness, ride quality, and all weather traction perspective, including fresh snow and ice.

      TL; DR I'd recommend going with a street-oriented performance summer tire or all season if you are planning on commuting and doing a lot of highway driving in the S60. I'd steer clear of track-oriented street legal tires like the RS3 even if they are slightly better under ideal circumstances. They are pretty extreme for daily use, and perform worse under many real-world circumstances compared with even a halfway decent all season. You'll see what I mean trying to drive 65mph in a rain storm on a cold day, tires humming loudly, and realizing the point at which your car starts hydroplaning is much lower than everyone else, and about 10mph slower than what would have been normal travel speeds with all-seasons.
      Last edited by Bunnspeed; 03-18-2017 at 09:28 PM.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

      Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

    35. #33
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Valley Park MO
      Posts
      30
      Thanks for the input, Bunnspeed. I agree with your evaluation of the RS3 (although I've never had a high powered FWD car). I'm not planning to use them on my V60. My plan is to go with an "ultra high performance" A/S tire in TireRack lingo.
      2015 V60 T5 Drive-E Premier+ W/19" Sport Package. Mmm...Beechwood

    36. #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Miatascooter View Post
      Thanks for the input, Bunnspeed. I agree with your evaluation of the RS3 (although I've never had a high powered FWD car). I'm not planning to use them on my V60. My plan is to go with an "ultra high performance" A/S tire in TireRack lingo.
      Np, I liked them on my GTI specifically for their combination of compliance, tacky rubber compound, and traction with short bursts of full throttle at low speeds...acceleration from a dig and out of corners, basically. I had such a rowdy turboback that tire noise was a non issue, and my car was so racy-feeling with all the bolts and tuning that the Racecar tires were a good match to the overall character of the car. I would imagine they would be a wonderful choice on a Miata, as it is light enough to be more stable on midcorner bumps with a compliant sidewall, yet benefits from the sort of grip that carries a lot of speed and makes up for its power deficits. In general it's a tire that suits and builds upon the exciting, racy driving characteristics and performance attributes of a miata. I'm glad you aren't using them on the V60, however. They would bring down the comfort and utility of a very useful and comfortable car, while rarely being notably better at anything other than the sort of track work that would overwhelm the rest of the car (brakes, suspension, etc.) without extensive modifications to other key areas first.

      I think you'll be very happy with how well an excellent, peformance-oriented A/S pairs with your car. I would very much recommend prioritizing tires that score highly in tire noise and ride quality areas, however, as tire noise makes its way through the floorboards so very easily. In terms of road noise on my own S60 T6, the stock Contisport ProContacts sucked nutsatchel, Conti DWS06 were slightly quieter but rode noticeably more harshly and were still pretty loud, and my current Pilot Sport AS3+ tires are the best combination I've run so far: simultaneously sportier-feeling (pretty stiff, actually), better riding paired with my KW V3s than the DWS06 (less sidewall bounce reads initially as their being a stiff tire but actually allows the dampers to have better control over a lot of unwanted body movement, feeling significantly more supple overall), and they are much quieter than the other tires were. Tire Rack rates them as some of the best AS tires in terms of ride and quietness, while they also kick ass in most performance chatagories. They also feel VERY sporty and tactile...guessing these would be perfect for what you're looking for.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

      Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

    37. #35
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      Valley Park MO
      Posts
      30
      The Michelins are at the top of their category, no doubt. They just aren't made in my size (235-45-18). I'm leaning towards the BFG G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S, with Pirelli PZero A/S running a close second. Like I mentioned above, both are back ordered right now.

      BTW SwissStix, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread! 😜
      2015 V60 T5 Drive-E Premier+ W/19" Sport Package. Mmm...Beechwood

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast