Cracked OZ Racing Wheel- may have to revert to Volvo wheels
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Unhappy Cracked OZ Racing Wheel- may have to revert to Volvo wheels

So, I was losing air in a tire...got worse and worse.

Finally I had time to deal with it and found my OZ wheel cracked.

Not fun!! I found that Tire Rack sells OZ wheels but after going there, they don't have this particular wheel. There's one that looks a lot alike, but it's not the same.
      I suspect the previous owner who bought this car in Germany (Service man) bought the wheels in Europe.
      I was told that this is an old style and if I was lucky I might find them by contacting OZ directly in Italy and have them ship me one.

So, I have the wheel at a place that says they "might" be able to weld it. I'm not holding my breath. But I'm hesitant in paying over $400 plus shipping from Italy to get a replacement. Of course, no one is going to want to buy just 3 wheels from me either. I suppose the worst case scenario is I get something for scrap and buy some Volvo wheels. If I were do do that I'd consider downgrading to 17" as these 18's are just too thin on the roads we have here in TN.

Any opinions, observations, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated...this would be suggestions on what wheels would look good on my S40.

I weep loudly and with angst as I drive my car with a donut wheel on the front.
      '98 S70 T5 Emerald Green IPD and other Upgrades/ '07 S40 T5 M-66 MT Mystic Silver Metallic, Heico Sports Suspension & Cone Air Filter, OZ 18" Wheels, Elevate Dual Exhaust Intake Manifold BOV & Stage 1 Tune, 27mm Racing Beat Rear Sway, Proforged Rear End Links, Ultra Racing Strut Tower brace & E-Focus Mount/ '04 V70 2.5T Ruby Red - IPD Upgrades (wife's car)/ '07 S60 2.5T Barrent Blue (son's car) All: Mobil-1 synthetic @ 5K miles.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would advise whoever installed your donut wheel on the front to have installed it on the rear instead. Amateur move to put it on the steering wheels/front.

Search the internet for wheel repair locations in your area and contact them to see if they can fix it. If yes they will weld it, then sand it and refinish/repaint.

You can also check Ebay and internet to see if anyone is selling that particular wheel.
      Geo-political oracle sent to fight Satan and his minions

OZ will fulfill custom orders and some NLA wheels, but it will take 5-8 weeks if they don't have it in stock.

It's also an 18" so it will likely come in at under $400 for a new one.
      Garage Queen - 2010 C30 R-Design Vrooooooom
      Daily - 2016 V60 T5 Drive-E Vrooooooom
      Zichrona Livracha - 2004.5 S40 T5

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the input. Caspian- AWD so I did not put it in the rear (should I really?) but also I'm not driving the car at the moment. The crack occurred on driver's side front so naturally that's where the donut went. I'm driving the S70 instead which I had to also fix by buying a new tire (sidewall damage) and a new battery so I'm not really worried about the S40 being driven right now. It just sits in the garage awaiting the outcome of the repair for the time being. The place in my city working on my wheel is the place that Mercedes sends wheels for repair so if they can't do it, no one around here can. Thanks GRat9717 for the info. I have yet to contact them. I'll see if the repair works or not first.
      '98 S70 T5 Emerald Green IPD and other Upgrades/ '07 S40 T5 M-66 MT Mystic Silver Metallic, Heico Sports Suspension & Cone Air Filter, OZ 18" Wheels, Elevate Dual Exhaust Intake Manifold BOV & Stage 1 Tune, 27mm Racing Beat Rear Sway, Proforged Rear End Links, Ultra Racing Strut Tower brace & E-Focus Mount/ '04 V70 2.5T Ruby Red - IPD Upgrades (wife's car)/ '07 S60 2.5T Barrent Blue (son's car) All: Mobil-1 synthetic @ 5K miles.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeInJapan View Post
      Thanks for the input. Caspian- AWD so I did not put it in the rear (should I really?) but also I'm not driving the car at the moment. The crack occurred on driver's side front so naturally that's where the donut went. I'm driving the S70 instead which I had to also fix by buying a new tire (sidewall damage) and a new battery so I'm not really worried about the S40 being driven right now. It just sits in the garage awaiting the outcome of the repair for the time being. The place in my city working on my wheel is the place that Mercedes sends wheels for repair so if they can't do it, no one around here can. Thanks GRat9717 for the info. I have yet to contact them. I'll see if the repair works or not first.
      Hopefully it does!

can try 45 profile tires with the 18s for more rim protection
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak
      Shark Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate SwayBar - Massive Camber Arms - Centric Rotors - Akebono Pads - Nokian Z-Line 235/45/18 - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar/Madico Tint - E46 Bi-Xenon Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 - LED Int/Ext/Halos - Fryalip - Fumoto Valve

Thanks jschinito- I already had to roll the rear fenders and afraid 45's would rub even with the fender rolling with the lowered Heico suspension. Also there's a good amount of meat left on these 40's so only way I would probably go with a higher profile tire is if I go all new setup with 17" wheels. We'll see if they can weld them. Will probably know today, but am traveling with family and for an over-night out of town. Will post back as soon as I know the verdict.

Dismount - Heli_Arc - about 80 Amps Set and 40 Hertz or Pulse - Gas On . . . 3 Passes or 1 Pass On Crack and a U shape around the Crack .
      Check both sides on Inside . . After - Sand some and repaint . . ( Rail Road Tracks ) ?
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

I was going to say it looks fixable. Take it to a wheel shop.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer)

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

Sure enough- a wheel shop/welding experts- $125 cash out the door and it's as good as new! Thanks everyone. Glad I didn't have to find a replacement or spring for another set.

Awesome!

Drove the car yesterday on highway speeds...not a ripple out of the steering! Glad to get her fixed and seems as good as before the crack!

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements