A couple interior gremlins
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

A couple interior gremlins

2016 S60 T5 AWD, two tone interior with beige seats.

First, the driver door handle creaks like crazy. It feels like it's the plastic piece where I pull the door closed - on the inside of the handle. Any way to address this creaking without tearing apart the door?

Second, the beige leather seats seem to be getting some kind of color transfer from my brown belt. I've worn leather belts for a long time, and have never had this in a car before. I regularly clean the seats with the volvo leather cleaner, and for example, color transfer from my jeans comes off with no problem. But the area where my belt touches seems to have worn the seat back some. The car has 8500 miles, and I've cleaned the seats at least 5 times since I got the car. This sort of thing doesn't happen, say on our 2008 XC70. I'm thinking of complaining to the dealer about it and seeing if I can get a new seat cover under warranty. Will the same thing happen?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mateo319 View Post
      2016 S60 T5 AWD, two tone interior with beige seats.

First, the driver door handle creaks like crazy. It feels like it's the plastic piece where I pull the door closed - on the inside of the handle. Any way to address this creaking without tearing apart the door?

Second, the beige leather seats seem to be getting some kind of color transfer from my brown belt. I've worn leather belts for a long time, and have never had this in a car before. I regularly clean the seats with the volvo leather cleaner, and for example, color transfer from my jeans comes off with no problem. But the area where my belt touches seems to have worn the seat back some. The car has 8500 miles, and I've cleaned the seats at least 5 times since I got the car. This sort of thing doesn't happen, say on our 2008 XC70. I'm thinking of complaining to the dealer about it and seeing if I can get a new seat cover under warranty. Will the same thing happen?
      Unfortunately I've noticed this too on our 2016, far more so than the 2005 we traded in (either that or we never knew what it could have looked like since we didn't buy it new). Like you said most things clean up fairly well where the leather is taut, but there are spots where the leather is more loosely fitted and there is some staining in the creases/folds. Also the stitching is staining a bit which is near impossible to remedy. I think I remember reading somewhere that the leather and/or treatment they use now is different from the earlier generations. Kinda sucks, still love the overall look of the beige/charcoal combination in the sport package but it sure is tough to maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current Fleet: 2007 XC90 V8 Sport (Titanium Gray); 2016 S60 T5 Drive-E Premium Polestar (Black Stone, Sport Pkg, Convenience Pkg, BLIS, Tech Pkg)
      Previously Owned: 2005 S60 2.5T AWD (Ice White)

Quote Originally Posted by Sven787 View Post
      Unfortunately I've noticed this too on our 2016, far more so than the 2005 we traded in (either that or we never knew what it could have looked like since we didn't buy it new). Like you said most things clean up fairly well where the leather is taut, but there are spots where the leather is more loosely fitted and there is some staining in the creases/folds. Also the stitching is staining a bit which is near impossible to remedy. I think I remember reading somewhere that the leather and/or treatment they use now is different from the earlier generations. Kinda sucks, still love the overall look of the beige/charcoal combination in the sport package but it sure is tough to maintain.
      Sorry to hear you've got an issue too. The look is great. My issue is not even where there is stitching or creases - it's right on the flat part of the bottom of the back rest, and on the side bolsters. It's like the leather is wearing out already. And it started very very early.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The beige leather in mine has no issues--I alternate between black and brown leather belts (for work) and haven't seen any color transfer [yet]. I only wipe them down once or twice a year LIBERALLY with Weiman wipes--will be switching to Lexol when they are gone. HAVE noticed the rears seem to be 'drying out' or are a bit less soft than the fronts--not sure why, probably less use, so will work on that...keep us posted...you might need to clean them (I don't consider wiping them down with a wipe to be CLEANING), which Volvo recommends and most of us HATE doing...YMMV.
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

The only color transfer that I notice is from the seat belt buckles on the rears seats. I gave up trying to remove those marks. I absolutely hate leather!
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      The only color transfer that I notice is from the seat belt buckles on the rears seats. I gave up trying to remove those marks. I absolutely hate leather!
      I have seen color transfer from blue jeans. It hasn't bugged me enough to try and do anything with it. Maybe I just need to switch to wearing khakis.

Generally I don't care for leather, but trying to find a car that has seat heaters and cloth seats is next to impossible.
      2015 V60 (FWD).
      Former: ~1995 850 sedan (5-speed manual ).
      Former: ~1985 740GLE (ZF transmission )

Quote Originally Posted by ericy View Post

Generally I don't care for leather, but trying to find a car that has seat heaters and cloth seats is next to impossible.
      Agreed! My 2004 VW Passat had cloth seat with heaters. It was one of the main reasons I bought that car
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood

Quote Originally Posted by Okidiver View Post
      The beige leather in mine has no issues--I alternate between black and brown leather belts (for work) and haven't seen any color transfer [yet]. I only wipe them down once or twice a year LIBERALLY with Weiman wipes--will be switching to Lexol when they are gone. HAVE noticed the rears seem to be 'drying out' or are a bit less soft than the fronts--not sure why, probably less use, so will work on that...keep us posted...you might need to clean them (I don't consider wiping them down with a wipe to be CLEANING), which Volvo recommends and most of us HATE doing...YMMV.
      Yeah, makes me think something is up with this particular seat. I have used the volvo cleaner/conditioner about 5 times in the year since I had the car. It's not like I've neglected the seats.

I took it in on Friday to have the telemetrics module replaced (car internet not working) and had them look at the seat and the creaking door handle.

It's just disappointing - these cars are cheaper than the 70-90 series, but they're not cheap.

Talked to the service manager today, looks like they're going to replace the seat cover under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by mateo319 View Post
      Talked to the service manager today, looks like they're going to replace the seat cover under warranty.
      Nice! Did you get the extra leather protection package or are they replacing under the standard warranty? Me thinks l may mention the staining too at the next service...

Current Fleet: 2007 XC90 V8 Sport (Titanium Gray); 2016 S60 T5 Drive-E Premium Polestar (Black Stone, Sport Pkg, Convenience Pkg, BLIS, Tech Pkg)
      Previously Owned: 2005 S60 2.5T AWD (Ice White)

Quote Originally Posted by Sven787 View Post
      Nice! Did you get the extra leather protection package or are they replacing under the standard warranty? Me thinks l may mention the staining too at the next service...

Standard warranty as far as I know. The car's only a year old.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements