Brake pad selection
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Brake pad selection

My front pads are about due so I've decided to upgrade to 320mm calipers at the same time. Currently I have Hart drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads. Stopping power is good and they're fairly quiet but pad life is terrible (and they're pretty dusty). Like I'm on track to get

what pads are you guys running and how do you like them?
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Alright I think I'm going with the Porterfield R4-S. A little pricey but they have solid reviews and should last until I get rid of the car.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

I know you probably don't want to hear it but simple Centric high carbon rotors & Akebono pads work just fine in the 320 size at a great cost savings. I LOVE the 320mm on my car. You'll really like it also no mater what pads you decide to go with.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Have the drilled/slotted stoptech rods with their ceramic z23 pads - not super happy. Rotors make the low clickclickclick sound of the pad going over the rotor all the time and the pads are too race oriented - they don't really stop well until they are good and warm. If you do go with stoptech, I'd recommend going with their z17 pads instead. I installed a set of those in my S40 2.4i and the braking was impressive.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Yeah I'm going back to solid rotors, most likely Centric. I'm not a fan of the clicking sound either.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Do you think it's the holes or the slots that make the noise? I'm guessing the holes. I agree: For everyday driving, solid rotors are perfectly fine when paired with a good pad.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

My Powerstop's only make noise when I exceed about 50% braking potential, and about 75% you can hear the slots/holes rub the pads, otherwise they make no noise. For the same price as a high end stock rotor when ordered from RockAuto, they're a helluva deal and work great to boot.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

When I had Powerstop slots, I didn't notice clicking but there was a roughness under hard braking but not too bad. They performed very well with Hawk HPS even cold. The Hawk HPS are slower to heat up with plain rotors and feel a little vague at first.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer)

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements