2004-06 Volvo XC90 as a first car?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2004-06 Volvo XC90 as a first car?

To give context, I am 17 and my parents and I are considering purchasing a 2004-06 Volvo XC90 2.5T in the area of 100K miles (160000 KM).We are considering the car due to its impeccable safety, good AWD, overall good looks and the insurance isn't too bad. I have heard of the bad transmission problems with the T6 engine, so that model will be completely avoided and will not be considered. My main concern if the XC90 2.5T will be reliable. I live in Canada, and the winters can be sometimes bad. I have also heard about the wheel bearing failure on XC90's exposed to cold temperatures. Should there be any concerns whatsoever when purchasing an XC90? My parents and I will Carfax some potential cars, get a Volvo mechanic to inspect the XC90, and look at the overall mechanical history. I plan to keep the car for 3-5 years or so. If the XC90 is not the most reliably sound Volvo, what are some other Volvo's that could be considered? I am eyeing some V70s and S60s as well. Or to purchase a Subaru instead? I want to know what you XC90 and Volvo owners think.

Thanks
      Last edited by volvolover22; 03-19-2017 at 03:04 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The XC90 would be a good first driver car. You might also consider an XC70. My kids learned to drive in an S70 and V70. When looking at used examples focus on maintenance and repair history and have a pre-purchase inspection done. Any car with 100k on the clock could be at a point of needing the replacement of wear items that taken individually may not seem like much but can add up quickly. I am thinking tires, shocks, brakes, timing belt, alternator, etc. Good luck on your search.
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Plan like $1k a year in parts and consumables at 20k miles a year. If you DIY it all. Only get a 2.5t in those years. Stay away from the T6. Really stay far far away. And as Wayne T5 said also consider an 04-07 XC70. They get better fuel economy.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I only plan to drive the car less than 3-5 thousand miles every year.

Find something that takes regular gas.
      Sincerely,
      Tom
      08 XC90 V8 - Hers
      07 S80 V8 - Shared

IMO I would go XC70 over the XC90

The XC90 has some series big blind spots. Without a lot of experience in a car it could prove problematic. As well as the larger size is more difficult manuevering. There is a particular Interstate ramp at a certain time of day that is very difficult for me. Blind spots combined with sun in the face. For a young driver would be accident city

The wagon would be much better. Possibly less maintenance too
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Current: 05 XC90 2.5T 300k Miles & counting
      Future: 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD

Last year, we bought an 05 XC90 for my 16 year old to start driving. We also use it for occasional towing, and family road trips. It's been a great car for multiple drivers (memory seats), and easy for him to drive at 6'4".

Momma liked it for it's safety, poppa like it for it's versatility. We feel it was a good choice for all the requisite "boxes" it checked off.

I looked at the XC70 for him. When I set the front seat to a driving position, my knees were wrapped around the driver seatback when I sat behind it. So, that fell off the list. Now, I might still consider an XC70 for myself, maybe to turn it into some Mad Max battle wagon looking thing.

It's been a great car, easy to drive, and comfortable. I'd say go for it.

As with any car you drive, you learn where to look when changing lanes. And compared to other SUVs, the visibility on the XC90 is really good, especially with the folding headrests and large mirrors.
      Amazing cars, both the XC90 and XC70, but there is no substitute for mass in an accident. Simple physics. Go with the 90.
      2008 XC90 V8 Exec - Ice White - Soft Beige leather - 125K

Agreed on the 90. My first car was a V70XC (at 15 years old) and while it was a good car, the XC90 is far superior (bought at 17 years old, now 19). It's taller, so you get more visibility, and as long as you check your blind spots when changing lanes, you're good. The turning radius on the 90 does suck, just plan ahead and expect a 3 point turn. The V70XC didn't have a fantastic turning radius either, just an FYI. As far as the engine, that 2.5T is the same that was in my V70. I live in West Yellowstone MT and I never had an issue (look up our winter temps, the January average was .3 degrees F. We also get 170-200 inches of snowfall a winter). My dad bought it from me when I upgraded, and the engine is still running strong with no issues at almost 225k miles. The only thing to fail on that so far was the carrier bearing in the prop shaft and the passenger front axle (bearing again). Granted, it's not the exact setup of the 90, but that engine is very well done. I have a V8 XC90, haven't had any issues with wheel bearings, however my rubber parts are seeming to wear a little quicker.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

Thank you for all the suggestions guys. Thanks for taking time to write back. Looks like the XC90 will be part of me in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by volvolover22 View Post
      Thank you for all the suggestions guys. Thanks for taking time to write back. Looks like the XC90 will be part of me in a bit.
      Post some pictures for us when you get it!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

Quote Originally Posted by volvolover22 View Post
      Wait...whut?

You are going to ignore everything I advised????

oneofakind is right about the 2.5 engine. Rock solid. 2 cars 300k on ea engine. The XC90 has more life in it too @307k

Good luck with your XC90
      Last edited by Scrapr; 03-20-2017 at 10:11 PM.
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Current: 05 XC90 2.5T 300k Miles & counting
      Future: 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements