Android Auto on one USB-port
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 56
    1. #1

      Angry Android Auto on one USB-port

      Should we give up hope?
      https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...ownload/205104

      ------------------------------------
      Note

      For installation of Android Auto to be possible, the car must be equipped with two USB ports (USB hub). If the car only has one USB port then it is not possible to use Android Auto.

      It is not possible to install Android Auto on the XC90 or XC90 Twin Engine model year 2016 since they do not have the USB hub. It is not possible to retrofit the USB hub on these models.

      To use Android Auto you need to install the Android Auto app on your mobile phone. For information about markets in which the app is available, see the Android Autowebsite.

      ------------------------------------

      I have a 2017 year XC90 but only with one USB-port

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      I dunno if it's me but that doesn't show for me in that pdf

      Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

    4. #3
      Quote Originally Posted by jodo View Post
      Should we give up hope?
      https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...ownload/205104

      ------------------------------------
      Note

      For installation of Android Auto to be possible, the car must be equipped with two USB ports (USB hub). If the car only has one USB port then it is not possible to use Android Auto.

      It is not possible to install Android Auto on the XC90 or XC90 Twin Engine model year 2016 since they do not have the USB hub. It is not possible to retrofit the USB hub on these models.

      To use Android Auto you need to install the Android Auto app on your mobile phone. For information about markets in which the app is available, see the Android Autowebsite.

      ------------------------------------

      I have a 2017 year XC90 but only with one USB-port
      I have 2017 too
      But with one USB 😕
      I don't think there will be any solution

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Quote Originally Posted by dr_ashk View Post
      I have 2017 too
      But with one USB 😕
      I don't think there will be any solution

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
      So over two months ago I was told by customer care that they had 100% heard back from google and it wasn't happening. They offered to upgrade my car to apple carplay (I already had it) as a show of goodwill. I don't think it's going to happen.
      2017 XC90 T8 - Inscription | Crystal White Pearl | Amber/Charcoal | Vision | Climate w/ HUD | Convenience | B&W | Air Suspension | 20" 5-Spoke R-Design Wheels
      For Sale: 21" 8-Spoke OEM wheels/rims & tires - complete set for sale w/ approximately 16 miles - like new! PM me for details.

    7. #5
      Member Brutus99's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      1,712
      Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
      So over two months ago I was told by customer care that they had 100% heard back from google and it wasn't happening. They offered to upgrade my car to apple carplay (I already had it) as a show of goodwill. I don't think it's going to happen.
      That's ridiculous
      2015 F150 LARIAT Sport 3.5L EcoBoost - Fully Loaded
      2016 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Convenience | Vision | Climate with HUD | PAII | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Carbon Fiber | Front Mud Flaps | OEM Rubber Floor Mats | Front Tint 35% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 | Ordered Feb 2/16 - Picked up June 7/16

    8. #6
      we should get some kind of subsidized or attractive 2017/2018 trade in if this is true


      Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

    9. #7
      Junior Member 9Volvos's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2014
      Location
      Northeast US
      Posts
      419
      Quote Originally Posted by curtdept View Post
      we should get some kind of subsidized or attractive 2017/2018 trade in if this is true


      Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
      For a technological SUV it is more than odd that technology, software, has been Volvo's weak point.

      Can anyone explain why two USB ports are required and why that can't be remedied?

    10. #8
      Member phillipu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      1,581

      Android Auto on one USB-port

      Quote Originally Posted by 9Volvos View Post
      For a technological SUV it is more than odd that technology, software, has been Volvo's weak point.

      Can anyone explain why two USB ports are required and why that can't be remedied?
      I haven't seen anything specific from Volvo but could be anything including something as basic as the actual data throughput of the single port USB root hub being insufficient.

      For example, I've got USB 3.0 devices that can handle 200 MBps and others that can barely handle 10 MBps.

      EDIT: Also, to clarify, those fast USB 3.0 devices I have don't achieve the same speeds depending on what laptop/host I plug it in to. Interestingly, my Samsung T3 SSD which is the fastest one I own (~250 MBps reads) loads maps much faster than my USB thumb drive that I've tested to hit around 100 MBps when plugged in to my two-port MY17. So while I haven't timed it closely enough to be able to calculate speeds, it definitely seems like the USB in the MY17 with two ports is using a decent USB 3.0 chipset. Anyone timed their single-port speeds?
      Last edited by phillipu; 03-20-2017 at 08:47 AM.

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      304
      I too agree. Volvo owes us some concession here. One of the reason we bought the XC90 was to have Android Auto. Frankly they promised more features initially that never came about at all or until later. I still find the answer unacceptable. Volvo needs to work with Google to make it work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      2017 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Osmium Grey, Blond/Charcoal Int. / Conv. Pkg / Vision Pkg. /20" Rims
      2017 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Black Onyx Metallic, Blond/Charcoal Int. / Conv. Pkg. / Vision Pkg. / 20" Rims

    12. #10
      Quote Originally Posted by iron_man View Post
      I too agree. Volvo owes us some concession here. One of the reason we bought the XC90 was to have Android Auto. Frankly they promised more features initially that never came about at all or until later. I still find the answer unacceptable. Volvo needs to work with Google to make it work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      At the very least offer a hardware upgrade to get it.

      I gave up waiting for a 2017 because I was told by my salesman, sales manager, and volvo usa that the 2016's will be getting android auto before year end.

    13. #11
      Feel really pissed off by Google, that develops application software that requires specific USB hardware.

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2015
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      558
      Anyone willing to take lead on a class action? I'd be interested in joining.

      This is false advertising pure and simple. I was (and still am) willing to live with "it's not ready yet, but it's coming" but simply saying it won't/can't happen despite them having sold it as a feature is just false advertising.

      Also, Volvo should publicly give back every award they received for their 2016 model year cars (Which is most of the awards they've earned since reviewers looked at the all-new model) since almost every award talked about the car's tech features including, of course, Android Auto.

      Anyone remember the Yahoo tech car of the year award? The criteria for entry was that the car offer Android Auto. The 2016 XC90 isn't even eligible for that award that it won on the basis of a feature it doesn't offer!

    15. #13
      Quote Originally Posted by goVolvo View Post
      Feel really pissed off by Google, that develops application software that requires specific USB hardware.
      Not sure why you would be pissed off at google instead of volvo. Volvo is the one the promised us a feature that they had no clue would actually work or not.

    16. #14
      Junior Member 9Volvos's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2014
      Location
      Northeast US
      Posts
      419
      Quote Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
      Not sure why you would be pissed off at google instead of volvo. Volvo is the one the promised us a feature that they had no clue would actually work or not.
      It is bound to be a half-hearted effort from Volvo to entice Googe to get AA to work with the XC 90. You can be sure there is no full couirt press..

    17. #15
      Quote Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
      Not sure why you would be pissed off at google instead of volvo. Volvo is the one the promised us a feature that they had no clue would actually work or not.
      Because it is a shame for any software company to make software with such requirement.

      Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
      Last edited by goVolvo; 03-21-2017 at 12:49 AM.

    18. #16
      For me having Android Auto was one of the reasons for purchase as well. Any idea why no hardware retrofit possible?

    19. #17
      Junior Member 9Volvos's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2014
      Location
      Northeast US
      Posts
      419
      Quote Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
      For me having Android Auto was one of the reasons for purchase as well. Any idea why no hardware retrofit possible?
      Personally, I have never read a definitive explanation why this software requires two separate USB ports. We are owed a clear, honest, complete technical explanation from Volvo that will standup under scrutiny.

      There are plenty of smart people here and it is highly likely that a detailed explanation will lead to a work around.

      Short of that I would say that Volvo is gaming us.

    20. #18
      Quote Originally Posted by goVolvo View Post
      Because it is a shame for any software company to make software with such requirement.

      Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
      There are other cars on the market that have android auto with one USB port...

    21. #19
      Member phillipu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      1,581
      Quote Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
      There are other cars on the market that have android auto with one USB port...
      To me, it's clear that it's not literally the number of ports that matters. To my knowledge, there is not a single implementation of AA that requires actually using two USB ports simultaneously including AA on the MY17s. There must be something else about the whole configuration in models that have a single USB port that is the cause. Volvo keeps saying it's the USB hub so I'll take them at their word and interpret that as meaning there's something about the single port variant that is too slow or has other communication issues that prevent it from working.

      As for not being able to retrofit, I'm sure that's because Volvo knows the costs involved with such an endeavor and that they're greater than they're willing to shoulder. Who knows, you might have to replace the center console and the entire head unit and related components? I'm thinking that could be over a thousand dollars in parts and labor, and that's assuming MY17 parts could be installed into a MY16 vehicle instead of requiring that new parts be created.

    22. #20
      Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      To me, it's clear that it's not literally the number of ports that matters. To my knowledge, there is not a single implementation of AA that requires actually using two USB ports simultaneously including AA on the MY17s. There must be something else about the whole configuration in models that have a single USB port that is the cause. Volvo keeps saying it's the USB hub so I'll take them at their word and interpret that as meaning there's something about the single port variant that is too slow or has other communication issues that prevent it from working.

      As for not being able to retrofit, I'm sure that's because Volvo knows the costs involved with such an endeavor and that they're greater than they're willing to shoulder. Who knows, you might have to replace the center console and the entire head unit and related components? I'm thinking that could be over a thousand dollars in parts and labor, and that's assuming MY17 parts could be installed into a MY16 vehicle instead of requiring that new parts be created.
      I wouldn't do it because I am on a lease, but I were planning to have the car for 5+ years, I would spend $300-$500 to get android auto, even after feeling cheated. So lets say actual cost of parts and labor is around $1000, if volvo would share the cost with owners, I think a decent amount of people would be "happier". This is obviously all hypothetical, but I think they should either be more open about this situation, or be trying harder to make people "happier".

    23. #21
      Junior Member Trevlig's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Location
      SF Bay Area
      Posts
      394
      Quote Originally Posted by MaxwellMcGee View Post
      Anyone willing to take lead on a class action? I'd be interested in joining.

      This is false advertising pure and simple. I was (and still am) willing to live with "it's not ready yet, but it's coming" but simply saying it won't/can't happen despite them having sold it as a feature is just false advertising.
      I think you have a point. I went to Volvo Car's Press Release archive and searched for "android" for XC90 from the year 2016. Between 2014 and 2016, Volvo Cars has clearly indicated that Android Auto would be part of 2016 XC90. Although some of them say that it will be available at a later time, they all confirm, either explicitly or implicitly, that Android Auto would be part of 2016 XC90.

      If I were one of the affected owners, I'd start a petition campaign at change.org and contact a high level executive at Volvo Cars to emphasize that they need to recall and install whatever hardware module is needed to make this work. That would probably be an easier and more effective first step than jumping right into a class action.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription (OSD) · Black & amber · B&W · Vision · Convenience · Air suspension · Heated rear · s/w update 05/17/17

    24. #22
      Member phillipu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      1,581
      Quote Originally Posted by Trevlig View Post
      I think you have a point. I went to Volvo Car's Press Release archive and searched for "android" for XC90 from the year 2016. Between 2014 and 2016, Volvo Cars has clearly indicated that Android Auto would be part of 2016 XC90. Although some of them say that it will be available at a later time, they all confirm, either explicitly or implicitly, that Android Auto would be part of 2016 XC90.

      If I were one of the affected owners, I'd start a petition campaign at change.org and contact a high level executive at Volvo Cars to emphasize that they need to recall and install whatever hardware module is needed to make this work. That would probably be an easier and more effective first step than jumping right into a class action.
      I agree. Seems like a better way to get what you want seeing as some class action lawsuits seem to garner pennies on the dollar for the plaintiffs. And then there's the "vehicle specifications may vary from one country to another and may be altered without prior notification" disclaimer at the bottom of every press release.

    25. #23
      Junior Member PhatboyC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      Canada/Ontario
      Posts
      738
      Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by dr_ashk View Post
      I have 2017 too
      But with one USB 😕
      I don't think there will be any solution
      So over two months ago I was told by customer care that they had 100% heard back from google and it wasn't happening. They offered to upgrade my car to apple carplay (I already had it) as a show of goodwill. I don't think it's going to happen.
      Ok now I'm confused. I have a 2017 build in December. Originally though if you have Apple Car play you would be good for Android Auto. Also though Apple Car play would come with 2017's like it did with 2016. When I bough my car the online configuration wasn't up.

      Then I received my 2017 car with no Apple Car Play and one usb port. Dealer says sorry I didn't order the Apple Car Play option so no Android Auto. Never ask to put this in writing in my contract so I gave up.

      But reading this thread confuses me even more. You can run Apple Car play with one usb port? If so, then how can any new buyer specifically order two usb port today let alone in the past?
      ---------------------------------------------
      2017 XC90 T5 Momentum Plus, Vision, Convenience, Climate, 7 Amber Seats, 20's, Invi-hitch

    26. #24
      Quote Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post
      Ok now I'm confused. I have a 2017 build in December. Originally though if you have Apple Car play you would be good for Android Auto. Also though Apple Car play would come with 2017's like it did with 2016. When I bough my car the online configuration wasn't up.

      Then I received my 2017 car with no Apple Car Play and one usb port. Dealer says sorry I didn't order the Apple Car Play option so no Android Auto. Never ask to put this in writing in my contract so I gave up.

      But reading this thread confuses me even more. You can run Apple Car play with one usb port? If so, then how can any new buyer specifically order two usb port today let alone in the past?
      Yes, I have MY2016 with 1 usb port and apple carplay runs with no issues. I also believed that having carplay would automatically qualify for AA, but apparently not.

    27. #25
      Member phillipu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      1,581
      Quote Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post
      Ok now I'm confused. I have a 2017 build in December. Originally though if you have Apple Car play you would be good for Android Auto. Also though Apple Car play would come with 2017's like it did with 2016. When I bough my car the online configuration wasn't up.

      Then I received my 2017 car with no Apple Car Play and one usb port. Dealer says sorry I didn't order the Apple Car Play option so no Android Auto. Never ask to put this in writing in my contract so I gave up.

      But reading this thread confuses me even more. You can run Apple Car play with one usb port? If so, then how can any new buyer specifically order two usb port today let alone in the past?
      Quote Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
      Yes, I have MY2016 with 1 usb port and apple carplay runs with no issues. I also believed that having carplay would automatically qualify for AA, but apparently not.
      For MY17, in the US, Momentums with the Momentum Plus package, R-Design and Inscription all include the 2-port USB hub and CarPlay. So base Momentums do not have two USB ports as I understand it. You can upgrade them to support CarPlay although this will still not support Android Auto.

    28. #26
      Quote Originally Posted by goVolvo View Post
      Because it is a shame for any software company to make software with such requirement.

      Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
      Android Auto doesn't require two USB ports on other cars. This makes Volvo's claim very suspect. More likely they probably violated the standards with the chipset they used for the USB interface in the earlier cars and corrected it with the later one's. Almost all tech requires adherence to some standards.

    29. #27
      Junior Member 9Volvos's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2014
      Location
      Northeast US
      Posts
      419
      Quote Originally Posted by citivas View Post
      Android Auto doesn't require two USB ports on other cars. This makes Volvo's claim very suspect. More likely they probably violated the standards with the chipset they used for the USB interface in the earlier cars and corrected it with the later one's. Almost all tech requires adherence to some standards.
      You are correct. Volvo is trying to con us and some recent posts on this Board by those associated with Volvo attempt to add to that smokescreen.

      Volvo should explain in detail, which can be independently verified, precisely why the 2016 XC 90 actually needs two USB ports for Android Auto. If they made a mistake, as they certainly did, it is their legal responsibility to fix it. The cost is not our reoponsibility

      So the time has come for Volvo to stpe up or action will have to be taken.

    30. #28
      Member phillipu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      1,581
      Quote Originally Posted by citivas View Post
      Android Auto doesn't require two USB ports on other cars. This makes Volvo's claim very suspect. More likely they probably violated the standards with the chipset they used for the USB interface in the earlier cars and corrected it with the later one's. Almost all tech requires adherence to some standards.
      I don't think it's suspect at all but rather a misunderstanding of what they're indicating. The official word I've seen posted is that AA is only available on models equipped with the USB hub, not that two ports are actually required.

      I think it's also good to understand that at the time that Volvo joined the Open Automotive Alliance and committed themselves to implementing Android Auto on the SPA platform in mid-2014, it was probably still a moving target from an implementation standpoint and the first vehicle to support Android Auto didn't come out until mid-2015. It's entirely possible that Volvo locked in a hardware platform for the MY16 that turned out to be incompatible when they finally came out a year later and that the delay in releasing AA could be a sign of them trying to deliver it to all customers before finally saying forget it and releasing it to those that they could. While this is purely conjecture, I wouldn't be surprised if the story is along these lines.

    31. #29
      Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      I don't think it's suspect at all but rather a misunderstanding of what they're indicating. The official word I've seen posted is that AA is only available on models equipped with the USB hub, not that two ports are actually required.

      I think it's also good to understand that at the time that Volvo joined the Open Automotive Alliance and committed themselves to implementing Android Auto on the SPA platform in mid-2014, it was probably still a moving target from an implementation standpoint and the first vehicle to support Android Auto didn't come out until mid-2015. It's entirely possible that Volvo locked in a hardware platform for the MY16 that turned out to be incompatible when they finally came out a year later and that the delay in releasing AA could be a sign of them trying to deliver it to all customers before finally saying forget it and releasing it to those that they could. While this is purely conjecture, I wouldn't be surprised if the story is along these lines.
      You still shouldn't promise a feature before it has been tested to make sure it works. I was told over and over again it will be available on 2016's before year end. Original marketing material said the same.

      What is suspect is that they announced that the 2016's would not be getting Android Auto at the end of 2016. After most all of the 2016's were already sold. Is it a coincidence that the 2017's that started shipping last summer already had the new hardware? And no one was notified that the 2016's wouldn't be compatible until the end of the year?

    32. #30
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      16
      I emailed Volvo Canada and this is how they responded:

      Thank you for contacting Volvo Canada with your inquiry. Volvo Is currently working into having Android Auto for 2016 XC90. For 2016 XC90 with one USB port, an accessory is also being worked on to be able to have a second usb port installed, as android auto requires two usb ports to be able to work . We are hoping to have an update sometime in early summer on when these options will be available in Canada.

      Maybe there is still hope?

    33. #31
      Junior Member 9Volvos's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2014
      Location
      Northeast US
      Posts
      419
      Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      I don't think it's suspect at all but rather a misunderstanding of what they're indicating. The official word I've seen posted is that AA is only available on models equipped with the USB hub, not that two ports are actually required.

      I think it's also good to understand that at the time that Volvo joined the Open Automotive Alliance and committed themselves to implementing Android Auto on the SPA platform in mid-2014, it was probably still a moving target from an implementation standpoint and the first vehicle to support Android Auto didn't come out until mid-2015. It's entirely possible that Volvo locked in a hardware platform for the MY16 that turned out to be incompatible when they finally came out a year later and that the delay in releasing AA could be a sign of them trying to deliver it to all customers before finally saying forget it and releasing it to those that they could. While this is purely conjecture, I wouldn't be surprised if the story is along these lines.
      The whole thing is more than suspect - it is obviious. Volvo has ben disingenuous at best and deceptive at worst.

      There is no reason for AA not to work on a single port -- anyone can add a hub. I have proof of a promise for AA for my FE. Volvo is absolutely responsible for fixing the problem, whatever the cause, whatever the cost. It is their problem.

      Your post does nothing to move things along. If you actually know somethin for a fact that specifically addresses this issue - say it and back it up. Otherwise, why just muddy up the waters.

      I am tired of being "jerked around" by Volvo on this issue. The time has clearly come for action.
      Last edited by 9Volvos; 03-21-2017 at 02:57 PM.

    34. #32
      Member reeg2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Location
      Fort Worth, TX
      Posts
      1,408
      Let's be honest, though. Android versioning and it's implementation has been all over the board. From fragmentation by device, to carriers not updating, to the backwards compatibility issues; it may just be that the requirements for AA changed and Volvo was caught out with hardware that wouldn't work when AA was ready.

      I doubt Volvo was nefarious in this issue - simply that there's an issue that prevents it from working on the previous single-port architecture.
      I don't have any sense of what that entails - is it as simple as dropping the two-port part in place of the single-port? Is there a module compatibility issue?

      Quote Originally Posted by 9Volvos View Post
      I am tired of being "jerked around" by Volvo on this issue. The time has clearly come for action.
      Good luck with your case!
      Last edited by Paradox; 03-26-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: merged, please use multiquote
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

    35. #33
      Junior Member 9Volvos's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2014
      Location
      Northeast US
      Posts
      419
      Quote Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
      Good luck with your case!
      All Volvo employees or those affiliated with Volvo should have to register with this Volvo controlled Board. A special symbol should appear next to their names. There should also be a way for verified Volvo owners to register, with a special symbol next to their names. The imbalance would be more than just striking.

      As to the point in hand - Volvo is at fault! That's what matters. Were I Volvo I would not take it lightly. . There are way too many talented actual Volvo owners on this Board.

      Beyond that, there are some significant liability issues for this Board, allowing unnamed biased people to make biased posts, which may impel omeone to make a decision. It's exactly like phony reviews. I would watch it.
      Last edited by 9Volvos; 03-21-2017 at 03:21 PM.

    36. #34
      Quote Originally Posted by phillipu View Post
      I don't think it's suspect at all but rather a misunderstanding of what they're indicating. The official word I've seen posted is that AA is only available on models equipped with the USB hub, not that two ports are actually required.

      I think it's also good to understand that at the time that Volvo joined the Open Automotive Alliance and committed themselves to implementing Android Auto on the SPA platform in mid-2014, it was probably still a moving target from an implementation standpoint and the first vehicle to support Android Auto didn't come out until mid-2015. It's entirely possible that Volvo locked in a hardware platform for the MY16 that turned out to be incompatible when they finally came out a year later and that the delay in releasing AA could be a sign of them trying to deliver it to all customers before finally saying forget it and releasing it to those that they could. While this is purely conjecture, I wouldn't be surprised if the story is along these lines.
      As you note, though, the first vehicles to actually implement AA were out well before they released the FE XC90's in 2016. If the specifications for AA solidified subsequent to their locking in their 2016 (and early model 2017) hardware, they still should have known that before they were marketing AA as a future feature you were buying with the car. I still don't know how you can blame Google for that.

      Quote Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
      Let's be honest, though. Android versioning and it's implementation has been all over the board. From fragmentation by device, to carriers not updating, to the backwards compatibility issues; it may just be that the requirements for AA changed and Volvo was caught out with hardware that wouldn't work when AA was ready.

      I doubt Volvo was nefarious in this issue - simply that there's an issue that prevents it from working on the previous single-port architecture.
      I don't have any sense of what that entails - is it as simple as dropping the two-port part in place of the single-port? Is there a module compatibility issue?
      I doubt that Volvo was nefarious as well. I don't think they consciously marketed the feature knowing it wouldn't work. But I do believe they may have been reckless in doing so and more importantly their culture of non-transparency with all their customer communication has exasperated the problem because they certainly knew prior to the feature launch that it wasn't working with the older cars and they let people figure it out the hard way gradually with their dealers and getting different stories depending on who you talk or email with. And still are...
      Last edited by Paradox; 03-26-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: merged, please use multiquote

    37. #35
      Member phillipu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Location
      United States
      Posts
      1,581
      Quote Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
      You still shouldn't promise a feature before it has been tested to make sure it works. I was told over and over again it will be available on 2016's before year end. Original marketing material said the same.

      What is suspect is that they announced that the 2016's would not be getting Android Auto at the end of 2016. After most all of the 2016's were already sold. Is it a coincidence that the 2017's that started shipping last summer already had the new hardware? And no one was notified that the 2016's wouldn't be compatible until the end of the year?
      It does suck that you were promised something that didn't happen. I work in the tech industry and maybe I'm jaded by vaporware such that I'm just not surprised or shocked when something like this fails to get released. I still don't fully trust that my T8 is going to get the remote start/untethered preconditioning that they've been promising since last year, for example.

      I'm generally not a conspiracy theory kind of guy but I do agree that the timing of their release of AA for MY17 combined with what can only presumably be an known-in-advance internal knowledge that there were showstopping problems is the most suspect thing here.

      Quote Originally Posted by citivas View Post
      I doubt that Volvo was nefarious as well. I don't think they consciously marketed the feature knowing it wouldn't work. But I do believe they may have been reckless in doing so and more importantly their culture of non-transparency with all their customer communication has exasperated the problem because they certainly knew prior to the feature launch that it wasn't working with the older cars and they let people figure it out the hard way gradually with their dealers and getting different stories depending on who you talk or email with. And still are...
      I think this is really it. Ineptitude in delivering and communicating.
      Last edited by Paradox; 03-26-2017 at 09:56 AM. Reason: merged, please use multiquote

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast