2007 v. 2008 XC90 Sport?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2007 v. 2008 XC90 Sport?

Former '08 XC90 Sport and '10 S80 V8 owner, regret parting with each. I am considering another XC90 V8. Specifically, I'm looking at a '07 sport w/ ~ 70k miles and a '08 sport w/ ~ 90k miles.

Questions:

1. Anything notable that is different or to be concerned about in the '07 vs. '08 model year? '07's are "new enough" not to have the potential engine issues I've read about, correct? Aesthetically they appear to be the same. Anything I am missing? Any reason to prefer one over the other?

2. Is ~ $13,500 fair enough for either if the condition is extremely good?

3. All things being equal, would you prefer the year older version with 20k fewer miles?

4. Does the info below change your answer to #3?

Each has a one owner carfax that looks clean. Varying levels of being able to tell how regular the service was, probably due to carfax issues.

In the case of the higher mileage '08, I was able to track down the owner who traded it in to a dealer. He said he takes extremely excellent care of his vehicles and did all service. He wanted to keep it, but his wife wanted something newer--if it were up to him, they'd still own it. The '08 had a small rear end hit early on, that he had repaired by a reputable shop. Never had any issue with the repair.

The '07 shows somewhat random service records with little detail. "Engine serviced". That sort of thing. I assume they were doing oil changes even if not always indicated. I assume "engine serviced" is likely maintenance? The vehicle looks great. Being sold by a traditional dealer.

Does having talked to the owner of the '08 and a level of comfort push you toward considering that one over the '07 despite the mileage hit?

Appreciate thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

07's can still have the valve body issue. Need to confirm transmission serial #.

Besides that, I wouldn't let the year concern you. I would focus primarily on condition and maintenance history. If the 08 was involved in an accident, then you can try and figure out how many parts were affected and to what degree by checking for the factory VIN stickers which should be present on every original panel. If you final panels without stickers, this likely points to a repaint or replaced part. Replaced parts typically say "R DOT", but this isn't always a sure thing. The presence or absence of the VIN sticker is significantly more telling.
      2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

As earlier said still have to check tranny serial number on the 07. I have an 07 with an 07B prefix i think (I'd have to go check) but it was delivered in October 07 and to Australia so it may be different on your side of the pond.

Personally I would go with the one that has a better service history over the one that is patchy. If it was only a small bump on the rear and has been repaired properly that wouldn't concern me.

07 sport or executive? I think they went to r designs in 09 on the V8 so 08 will be the same. The sport is virtually an r design with out the badges or twin rear exhaust everything else is the same.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just so you know my build date is May 2007 and tranny prefix is 07B

R-Pow3R3d and Kyril, thank you each for your reply.

I noticed the transmission issue thread shortly after posting my message. The 07 in question was also a sport. It was an early build so between that and the fact that I was able to talk to the completely unbiased former owner of the 08 and he said no known issues at all and said he takes very good care of his vehicles has me ruling out the 07.

I've started to question myself: should I be looking at later models. i.e. a 2011... there are some executives, etc. I know the ride quality is subjective. I had a 2008 Sport in the past, and I know I enjoyed it so I think, if anything, the ride quality gamble for me would be not getting a sport.

The only other "frill" I'd like that this vehicle doesn't have is the premium stereo. How bad is the default 8 speaker stereo? I saw the thread on swapping out, but I can't imagine ever doing that. Wondering if I should wait for one with the better system. Also prefer the general aesthetics of the 09's (dual exhaust, badging), but at some point I just need to get a vehicle here so I can get on with life!

Are the 2010 and 2011's also R's (or sports?) and have the newer badging, but no dual exhaust? I'm probably stalling just long enough to lose out...

Thank you again.

The typical advice is buy the newest one you can afford. Now, there's a bit of a limitation in that seemingly simple approach in that a Sport will be more expensive (typically) than an equal Executive. If you can do without the Sport specific items, then a newer Executive is definitely the way to go. If you decide the Sport items are too valuable to pass up, then you won't be happy with an Executive. I've heard differing opinions on the premium sound debate. I'm sure the base model radio is "fine", it's just probably not great. Could you live with it? Only you can say.
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by roboman View Post
      R-Pow3R3d and Kyril, thank you each for your reply.

The only other "frill" I'd like that this vehicle doesn't have is the premium stereo. How bad is the default 8 speaker stereo? I saw the thread on swapping out, but I can't imagine ever doing that. Wondering if I should wait for one with the better system. Also prefer the general aesthetics of the 09's (dual exhaust, badging), but at some point I just need to get a vehicle here so I can get on with life!

Thank you again.
      If the Premium Sound Dynaudio system ends up being the only thing that is holding you back from a purchase (I doubt it will be, but still), you can always do what a few of us have done and replace the 8 speaker High Performance system with the amplifier and speakers from the 12-speaker Dynaudio Premium system (either the pre-2006 or post-2006 speakers, which did slightly change in supposed quality over the years do show up on eBay or are available from parts vendors). The amplifier alone from the Premium Sound equipment (Class-D 130w x 5) really woke up the speakers from the High Performance system, and opening up the doors and tweeter locations to replace them with the 10 speakers from the Premium system greatly improved the quality all for under 400 dollars of OEM tuned speakers. The downside to your 2007+ system is that you can't install the center speaker(s) and enable the Dolby Pro Logic II due to Volvo only allowing reprogramming to be done on 2006 and earlier XC90s. This is the way to go if you aren't ambitious enough to want to replace the system with an aftermarket head unit and adapters, otherwise the quality is of course going to be even better with a custom aftermarket system.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive w/2013+ Refresh | IPD Front/Rear Sway Bars | Rigid Industries SR/SR2 Combo Light Bars | Thule Canyon Rack
      For Sale: OEM Running Boards / Nerf Bars, R-Design Scuff Plates, Premium Floor Mats, and Tail Lights

Are there any threads on this type of stereo conversion? I may be very interested in doing this at some point.
      2004 XC90 T6, 150k miles

Quote Originally Posted by atraudes View Post
      Are there any threads on this type of stereo conversion? I may be very interested in doing this at some point.
      I thought itwontstopsnowin had talked about this, but all I can find is that he said he did it.

Thanks, everyone, for the input.

I took a leap of faith -- bought the '08 Sport sight unseen. Photos appear near mint inside and out, spoke to the previous (unbiased - he traded it in) owner, checked carfax, etc. Excitedly hoping for the best. A few repairs won't kill me, but I think this is a pretty good candidate.

A few questions/comments.

- I would likely prefer to upgrade the stereo (assuming the vehicle otherwise turns out as I hope), although I'm not sure I'm personally ambitious (talented?) enough to do any of the things mentioned. Perhaps I can find a reputable shop that could do so.

- Are there any definitive things to do at (or make sure were done by) 90k miles? Is the drive belt/chain/serpentine belt (terminology?) the thing to have replaced if not already done?

- I plan to have whatever you recommend done and get it thoroughly checked upon receipt (I suppose most would do this as a PPI - pre- instead of post- as in my case). There is a small local shop (local guy might be more accurate) that has been servicing Volvo's his entire life. Anyone have an opinion on trusting such a place vs. the local Volvo dealer? Anything to vet out aside from the fact he's been around forever and is well-reviewed? Or would you take it to the dealer?

Thanks again! Excited to be a Volvo owner again.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements