Heads up- MY17 XC90 airbag recall
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Heads up- MY17 XC90 airbag recall

2017 Volvo S90, V90 Cross Country and XC90 recalled for airbag fix - CarAdvice
      https://apple.news/AqRG6NnF_MJC05ZqzEXkvVQ

S90, V90 Cross Country and XC90 models

The VIN ranges for the affected model lines are as follows:

S90 ? 011536 to 017772
      V90 Cross Country ? 000098 to 005222
      XC90 ? 150614 to 175024

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Ugh! Mine is affected.

I'll be keeping an eye on this. My dealer told me my car would be delayed because of this, but I didn't find any information online. Calling Volvo 1800 tomorrow for more details.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Mine too...already got the mail from Volvo
      XC90 2017 T8 Inscription Ice White/Amber Interior

Interesting that the range of XC90s affected seem fairly narrow. Mine is a 2017, but in the 1300's. The article said it is only 524 vehicles total, but that might be only for Australia, where (I think) the article was written.
      Last edited by badcyclist; 03-19-2017 at 10:25 PM.
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

When I brought my V60RD in for service Saturday the service adviser was telling me that they need to replace something like 26 bolts per car and it takes over 3-1/2hrs worth of work. They said they've also had issues with the bolts snapping when removing them.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black, Platinum/Tech/Climate/BLIS/19" Ixion II, KN Filter, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Swaybar {His}
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD - Osmium Grey/Off Black {Hers}
      FS Items: XC60 Cargo Cover
      SOLD:1994 940 Turbo/2004 S40 LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda3 i-touring/2012 S60RD/2013 S60 T5AWD

Quote Originally Posted by PureDrive07 View Post
      When I brought my V60RD in for service Saturday the service adviser was telling me that they need to replace something like 26 bolts per car and it takes over 3-1/2hrs worth of work. They said they've also had issues with the bolts snapping when removing them.
      This is the exact reason for the recall. Some poorly made bolts were used that could break.

Called Volvo Customer Service today and, even though it's not listed on their website, my car is indeed affected by this recall. Bummer. Really hoping I could get it by the end of this week.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription
      Magic Blue | Blond | HUD | Convenience | Vision | Climate | B&W | Air Suspension | 21-Inch Wheels | Leather Dashboard

This recall has led to delivery delays up here in Canada... almost a month extra in my case...

I checked the volvo's recall website and it says my car isn't due for any recalls. I'm in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Kh0805 View Post
      I checked the volvo's recall website and it says my car isn't due for any recalls. I'm in the US.
      First I checked on Volvo recall website for our incoming t6. It said no recalls. I then called customer support who told me my incoming xc90 is included in the recall. The website isn't up to date on this recall yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasbren View Post
      First I checked on Volvo recall website for our incoming t6. It said no recalls. I then called customer support who told me my incoming xc90 is included in the recall. The website isn't up to date on this recall yet.
      This is exactly what happened to me. Maybe undelivered cars are still not on the recall database? Who knows.
      2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription
      Magic Blue | Blond | HUD | Convenience | Vision | Climate | B&W | Air Suspension | 21-Inch Wheels | Leather Dashboard

Anyone did the repair yet? My dealer said that this is a huge work, takes about 5-6 hours to complete...

Quote Originally Posted by fudge View Post
      Anyone did the repair yet? My dealer said that this is a huge work, takes about 5-6 hours to complete...
      It does not. It takes about 2.5-3 hrs
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2016 V60 Polestar Electric Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroBR View Post
      This is exactly what happened to me. Maybe undelivered cars are still not on the recall database? Who knows.
      I understood that [affected] "undelivered" cars go on a no sale list until the "recall" is complete whether at port or dealer. This applies to official recalls. I could be wrong, though.

Here are the specific Chassis ranges affected for the 2017 XC90:
      Veh. Type. Model Yr. Chassis Range Build
      256 2017-2017 0150614-0175024 0-0
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 03-24-2017 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Added bracketed text and Chassis ranges
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | Air | HUD | et al

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      I understood that "undelivered" cars go on a no sale list until the "recall" is complete whether at port or dealer. This applies to official recalls. I could be wrong, though.
      That correct... it's a safety and liability issue. My Volvo guy says every 2017 vehicle will be recalled eventually to replace the bolts as a precautionary measure. He said someone manually over tightened the bolts and the head of the bolts could potentially snap off. I'm not sure how intrusive the repairs are, but my car was delayed for a month so they could fix it at port.

Quote Originally Posted by Gain momentum View Post
      My Volvo guy says every 2017 vehicle will be recalled eventually to replace the bolts as a precautionary measure. He said someone manually over tightened the bolts and the head of the bolts could potentially snap off. I'm not sure how intrusive the repairs are, but my car was delayed for a month so they could fix it at port.
      That is incorrect; there is a VIN range. Nothing less, nothing more.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2016 V60 Polestar Electric Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Gain momentum View Post
      I'm not sure how intrusive the repairs are, but my car was delayed for a month so they could fix it at port.
      The repair involves dropping the headliner, then replacing 26 bolts that hold the side curtain airbags. If any of those bolts break or are broken, the technician must then deal with that.
      2007 S40 T5

I assume that the range, XC90 ? 150614 to 175024 is referencing the last 6 digits of the VIN?

Also if you have a XC-90 that is affected, should you not be receiving a formal notice from Volvo? and or be able to check with VOC to see if there are any recalls on your VIN?

Thanks
      Paul Caldwell

Yes to all of the above. The formal recall notice will come, but don't wait for the mail...

Car Type 256 is the all-new XC90. Some other car types with specified chasses are affected, but I did not post them in this XC90 forum.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | Air | HUD | et al

Thanks.

I am outside of the range of the VINS listed.

Guess time will tell if if Volvo recalls all of them.

Paul Caldwell

They said that Volvo gave that 2.5-3 hours but they couldn't finish within that time, they needed at least about 5 hours. So i need to leave the car for a full day. I have also learned that about 6 software updates are available for my car which was built in January, 2017.

XC90 bolt recall

The recall can take any were from 3 hours to 48 hours depending on the broken bolt location. If the bolt breaks at the bottom of the A pillar a special drill is needed to remove them. The drill must be requested from Volvo wich will be shipped to the dealer over night. If the bolts are broken and easy to get to it should get done in one day. I have seen as few as 3 bolts broken and as many as 9. The recall allots additional time for each bolt that is broken.

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements