Deciding Between V90 and V90CC
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Deciding Between V90 and V90CC

So what are everyone's thoughts on the merits of a V90 vs a V90CC?

It's a bit annoying that right now in the US, I can only hop in a V90CC to test drive, so I can't really appreciate the driving differences between the two. I do like that the CC has some more ground clearance, especially given that I live in New Orleans with its bad roads and occasional flooding.

But I dislike the crossover look and prefer the style of a conventional wagon. On top of that, you can't get the CC in T5 (I don't really care much about the engine) and if you want the same leather seats that come standard in the V90, you have to pay a whopping $4,500 more. You also can't select only pieces of some of the packages as options. Oh and they're not offered in that sweet brown color that is available in the V90.

These factors all swing me towards the V90 over the CC. For a V90CC just the way I want, it's $67,440. For the V90 just the way I want, it's $58,840. If I spring for the T6, though, it gets close in price again at $65,740. Still, it's far easier to customize the V90 to be exactly how you want it.

Just curious what anyone else's thoughts are. V90 or V90CC?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I say go with the regular V90 if you don't need AWD or the extra ground clearance.
      2009 XC 70 T6. Electric Silver / Anthracite. Premium and Climate.

One possible factor is ease of entry, the V90 sitting lower than the V90CC. I tried both at the Chicago Auto Show and still want the V90. However, if I can't show my wife the difference because dealers won't have any V90s to compare to the CC, the V90 may not happen for us.
      I haven't seen any EPA numbers for the V90 so I don't know how much of a difference there will be between the two. Fuel costs are a big difference if you stick with premium for the T6.
      2015 V60 T5 FWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS
      2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
      1970 Camaro, original owner

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am not a fan of crossovers or raised wagons with crossover looks. The V90 looks so much better. Good range of options too with the one exception that will prevent me from going that direction: no manual.

I'm trying to decide between an S90 and V90. I'm leaning towards the V90 due to my impression of its increased functionality/flexibility over the S90. We don't need the AWD as we already have a 10 year old Toyota Sequoia that will provide any SUV services we need. We are about to retire and want a new car to do some long distance touring in with half decent fuel economy. My wife needs to see a wagon before she'll agree, so our only choice is to view a V90CC and ignore the ride height and cladding whenever they get here! The closest V90CC to me is in Fresno, 250 miles north of me. None of the people at our local dealers (was just at one yesterday) seem to know very much about the V90CC, was told they aren't in the states yet, they'll be here in October, etc.

As far as a choice between the V90 and V90CC, I think you need to carefully define exactly what your requirements/desires are. Do you need/want AWD? It adds weight and complication that isn't worth it (IMHO) if you don't need it. Is more power or better fuel economy more important to you? Thats a decision between a T5 or T6. If fuel economy then V90 T5, which is the way I'm going. I believe the fuel economy of the V90 will be very similar to the S90. According to the specs I've found on Volvo's website, the V90 is about 100 lbs. lighter and 1 inch shorter than an S90 (which surprised me, hope the numbers are accurate). Wagons usually have more aerodynamic drag than sedans. The S90 T6 AWD fuel economy is 22/31 mpg and the V90CC is 20/30 mpg, pretty close. So an analysis of the characteristics of each car that are most important to you is the approach I'd take -- but I'm a coldly logical engineer who wants to derive a multivariable equation to allow calculation of the best option. For me personally it would be the V90 T5 over the V90CC. Now if I can only convince...

Seems like an entirely personal choice based on needs. Both V90 and CC version look like great cars. If I didn't need AWD, some towing, and extra ground clearance, I would definitely go for the V90, but I need to drive in deep snow and up steep dirt roads almost weekly in the winter, and do some light towing in the summer, so the CC is a requirement. The CC is a godsend for me because I need to it to handle some light SUV duties, but prefer the handling and efficiency of a more wagon oriented design. I also find it easier to get into and out of the CC than the S90, so I don't think I would like the lower height of the V90. For me it has nothing with the looks of the two cars as they are close enough that it doesn't matter; it's the extra functionality of the CC that seals the deal.

@op I believe the maple brown color is a v90cc thing. Hard to tell from your post.

I picked the v90 for the lower cost and the increased customization. My wife did not like the wood grains and insisted on the CF which the Rdesign only offered. Drove the CC and felt the engine was noisier than in the XC90 and not in a sexy way, but it wasn't a deal-breaker either compared to my KPAX equipped C30.

I feel that the V90 Cross Country is the quintessential 90-series car. The non-Cross Country models offer a stiffer chassis and lower center of gravity, but you give up ride comfort for a slight handling improvement that isn't really worth having in a car that drives like this. These are very relaxing, peaceful vehicles to drive. Not exciting cars that inspire you to take every curve with a little enthusiasm. So the softer chassis makes the most sense to me, and the way I want them equipped the V90 XC is a little less expensive and closer to what I actually want (no Luxury Package on the Cross Country - I prefer the classic Cross-Country styling and full-grain leather upholstery, which is more supple and durable).

That said, if you would be happier with what you'd get with the less expensive V90 T5 Inscription, go for it. Just make sure you test drive the S90 T5 first. Test drive one without the air suspension if you're planning on getting a T5, as that car is not offered with the Air Suspension as far as I know. The ride is much firmer in the non-Cross Country model with 19" wheels, but it's still comfortable. There won't be any noticeable difference between driving a similarly equipped S90 and V90 unless you start driving them to their limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
      if you want the same leather seats that come standard in the V90, you have to pay a whopping $4,500 more.
      That's because those aren't the standard seats for the 90-series. Inscription is the (second) highest trim level (if you count the Excellence models). Volvo just isn't offering the Momentum V90 in the US.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

Yep, just test drive a comparably equipped S90 to the V90 version you're interested in. The driving dynamics will be close enough.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

I was really surprised to see the CC has as standard laminated side windows. This makes a HUGE difference in reducing the noise level inside the car. Wonder if they will add this to the entire SPA lineup? Seems odd just the CC has this and it's not even optional. Always liked the extra security of the laminated glass on top of a quieter interior.

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoFaRmeR View Post
      I was really surprised to see the CC has as standard laminated side windows. This makes a HUGE difference in reducing the noise level inside the car. Wonder if they will add this to the entire SPA lineup? Seems odd just the CC has this and it's not even optional. Always liked the extra security of the laminated glass on top of a quieter interior.
      It makes some difference, albeit not huge.

Laminated windows are part of the Inscription trim level, in the 90-series cars.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

I am going for the V90 CC because I need to extra clearance(back roads, mud season, etc). However I am waiting for the 2018 version because the RUMOR is that there will be some changes form the 2017. HOWEVER, when I try to get VOLVO to explain these differences, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by H70blossom View Post
      I am going for the V90 CC because I need to extra clearance(back roads, mud season, etc). However I am waiting for the 2018 version because the RUMOR is that there will be some changes form the 2017. HOWEVER, when I try to get VOLVO to explain these differences, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very annoying.
      What are the purported "changes"?
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post

Laminated windows are part of the Inscription trim level, in the 90-series cars.
      PSA - we just had an EMS Continuing Ed on laminated side windows. Be aware if you carry a window punch or other device in your glovebox (in case you end up in the water and you can't hand crank your windows down anymore), the glass will not shatter into a million tiny pieces. It will be similar to your windshield or other tinted type windows. The pieces of glass stick to the lamination, so you have to remove the entire laminated piece. Its no biggee, just an additional step.

By the same token, the odds of being struck by a piece of glass in an accident where you window would "shatter" are significantly less.

Some really great points here. I hadn't thought about the softer ride on the V90CC, which is a plus for me. Amusingly enough, the lack of the Brown interior might end up being the ultimate dealbreaker, because I really really like that dark brown interior color that for whatever reason isn't available on the CC.

What are the purported "changes"?
      You're supposed to tell us that!
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

I spent a day driving the V90 Cross Country, with and without the Luxury package. I'll have a short-take review up soon - but bottomline, this is the wagon to get if you have an active lifestyle or will take the roads less traveled.

other picts on our instagram page: www.instagram.com/swedespeed

That's what I thought as well.....except I looked at some S90 and XC90 Inscription cars on the lot and NONE of them carried the laminated window symbol on the the glass. That lead me to believe those cars didn't have it, so I didn't know what to expect. I also didn't see anywhere on the window sticker listed. I didn't know if there were some Inscriptions that didn't get laminated glass for a time in production, or simply not listed as a feature and the glass didn't cary the symbol. Either way I'm glad it's there. On P2 S60s laminated glass lowered decibel level inside by 2 which is a pretty dramatic change. Seems like a simple way to make a quieter car, and it's a shame you only get it with Inscription and not on a R-design or other models. Once again, Volvo blocks us with another feature only available on the Inscription. I think people would gladly pay for this in an option package as it offers a high degree of functionality in sound reduction and safety.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@swedespeed View Post
      I spent a day driving the V90 Cross Country, with and without the Luxury package. I'll have a short-take review up soon - but bottomline, this is the wagon to get if you have an active lifestyle or will take the roads less traveled.
      Great pics. Absolutely love that Maple Brown. Just wish the Cross Country offered the Maroon Brown interior to go with that Maple Brown exterior!

This is entirely speculation, but a few changes that might be coming for MY18 or MY19 would be...

- Availability of the V90 XC T5 AWD and/or T8 AWD
      - Availability of the Maroon Interior on the V90 XC
      - Availability of Pine Grey Metallic exterior paint (see XC60 launch car)
      - Magic Blue replaced with Denim Blue
      - Trickle-down of the SPA XC60's new safety features to the V90
      - Standard Cargo Net

The Cargo Net is the one dividing the cargo compartment from the passenger compartment, like the one that was standard on the V60 R-Design at launch. It has actually been added to the 2017 V90 XC's manual supplement online, but is still not listed anywhere as an accessory. It may even start showing up in MY17 vehicles built after the east coast demos? In the manual supplement, it is not indicated as an option or accessory. I looked at the demo we drove and could not find this there, but the eyelets in the back seat area which are required to support this net are there.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoFaRmeR View Post
      That's what I thought as well.....except I looked at some S90 and XC90 Inscription cars on the lot and NONE of them carried the laminated window symbol on the the glass. That lead me to believe those cars didn't have it, so I didn't know what to expect. I also didn't see anywhere on the window sticker listed. I didn't know if there were some Inscriptions that didn't get laminated glass for a time in production, or simply not listed as a feature and the glass didn't cary the symbol. Either way I'm glad it's there. On P2 S60s laminated glass lowered decibel level inside by 2 which is a pretty dramatic change. Seems like a simple way to make a quieter car, and it's a shame you only get it with Inscription and not on a R-design or other models. Once again, Volvo blocks us with another feature only available on the Inscription. I think people would gladly pay for this in an option package as it offers a high degree of functionality in sound reduction and safety.

Laminated windows are available on the S90 Inscription, not the XC90 Inscription. They are available on the XC90 T8 Excellence.

MAX:

Nice to see you back online, my friend!
      2009 XC 70 T6. Electric Silver / Anthracite. Premium and Climate.

Quote Originally Posted by V70 Brad View Post
      MAX:

Nice to see you back online, my friend!
      Thanks Brad, good to be back!

chris@swedespeed

Are these 245/45/20 tires on the 20"rim, the same tire size that would come with the XC90 with 20" rims? The rims look very nice.
      2006 XC70 (traded for XC60)
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      2018 XC90 T6 Momentum + Maple Brown metallic/amber leather (scheduled to arrive in port 6/22/17)

As a 2006 V50 owner who will be receiving a factory-ordered 2018 V90 in mid-July, my basic feeling is that Volvo engineered and designed a splendid station wagon with all the correct dynamics, then somebody from marketing came down to the engineering and styling departments and said, "Okay, people, we need to make some changes. The Americans love 'command seating' and the myth that they can tackle the Rubicon, or at least drive on logging roads. So jack that sucker up as high as you can and put a lot of tough-looking plastic on it to make it look as though it's designed to bash its way through a pack of kangaroos...no, don't worry about how it drives, it's just for the look."

Quote Originally Posted by stepwilk View Post
      As a 2006 V50 owner who will be receiving a factory-ordered 2018 V90 in mid-July, my basic feeling is that Volvo engineered and designed a splendid station wagon with all the correct dynamics, then somebody from marketing came down to the engineering and styling departments and said, "Okay, people, we need to make some changes. The Americans love 'command seating' and the myth that they can tackle the Rubicon, or at least drive on logging roads. So jack that sucker up as high as you can and put a lot of tough-looking plastic on it to make it look as though it's designed to bash its way through a pack of kangaroos...no, don't worry about how it drives, it's just for the look."
      Even though you're 11 years old than I am, you must be a lot more flexible. I find getting into our V60 is getting to be something of a chore due to the height of the top of the door opening. Since the V90CC is 2.6 higher than the V90, that may be significant for us although I much prefer the V90. I'm assuming that the V90 will sit a little bit higher than the V60 but the difference may be insignificant.
      2015 V60 T5 FWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS
      2012 Camry XLE Hybrid
      1970 Camaro, original owner

My V90 CC is only 2.9 inches taller than the V60 R-Design, even with an additional 3.5 inches of ground clearance.

That said, the V90 is much easier to get into (not that the V60 is that bad for a compact).

The V90 CC handles exceptionally well. While it may have a higher ground clearance, the new 90-series was developed with a lower center of gravity than the P1, P2, and P3 cars had. Combined with the longer wheelbase and wider track (over 3" front and rear compared to my V60), the result is a car that handles not as well but probably better in many ways. The tires have a little less grip, but the car is very balanced when you lose traction and unlike the unbalanced V60 (which leans hard and then slides hard once traction is lost) the V90 CC with rear air suspension and 4C chassis actually handles more like a high end sports car when it comes to transitioning from having traction to sliding. My performance review will go into more detail on this when I have had more time with the car, but I think that if you are used to a 2006 V50 even the V90 CC will amaze you with its handling capabilities. The V50 was a floaty mess, just as bad as the P3 XC70. Volvo may not have an inkling of hope that it could rival Mercedes and Audi in the engine department now that it's switched to 4-cylinder engines only, but in handling I think it has both very badly beaten (certain AMG and all RS vehicles aside). The V90 with touring chassis would probably be a dream to drive. It would make up for the lack of communication (due to EPS) and lack of thrust (due to 2.0L displacement) in being a better car in every other way - including road holding and the way the car handles when it stops holding the road. Its unfortunate Volvo insists in putting the dynamic chassis in these cars. The extra touch of steering response is not worth the harsher ride. I'd take my V90 CC with its raised touring chassis over the 2017 S90 with its dynamic chassis ANYWHERE but the track (both vehicles I drove had 4C and rear air suspension).
      Last edited by matt1122; 05-14-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mainsail View Post
      Even though you're 11 years old than I am, you must be a lot more flexible. I find getting into our V60 is getting to be something of a chore due to the height of the top of the door opening. Since the V90CC is 2.6 higher than the V90, that may be significant for us although I much prefer the V90. I'm assuming that the V90 will sit a little bit higher than the V60 but the difference may be insignificant.
      Well, you gotta stay flexible. I do go to the gym every day, and our other car is a Boxster. Good practice. I have ALWAYS entered cars ass first, not right foot first. Then I click my shoeheels together a couple of times, knock off any dirt, and pull my feet in. You should try it.

Just ran a S90 Momentum with 19" wheels up to Vegas and back this weekend. If the V90CC has a softer ride I would hands down get that. The car shivered, quivered and shaked on anything just less than perfect and the cabin is loud with road noise on gritty surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by TriShield View Post
      Just ran a S90 Momentum with 19" wheels up to Vegas and back this weekend. If the V90CC has a softer ride I would hands down get that. The car shivered, quivered and shaked on anything just less than perfect and the cabin is loud with road noise on gritty surfaces.
      The V90 CC with 19" wheels resolves everything you just complained about with the S90.

Quote Originally Posted by TriShield View Post
      Strange. I have an S90 Inscription with Dynamic suspension and 20" wheels and can't say I have experienced any of the problems you have mentioned. The ride is firm and I do notice the imperfections in our crappy local MA roads, but I don't consider the ride either busy, noisy, or annoying, and the handling is superb. Any chance your car had the shipping blocks still in place?
      Current: 2017 S90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Blonde, Inscription, Vision, Climate, Convenience, B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Spoiler, 20" Rims
      Current: 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD, Seashell/Beige, Platinum, BLIS/CTA, Front Seat Heat, 18" Titania Rims, Urbane Wood Trim
      Past: 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5; 1981 245 DL

probably the price.

Quote Originally Posted by volvobuff View Post
      Strange. I have an S90 Inscription with Dynamic suspension and 20" wheels and can't say I have experienced any of the problems you have mentioned. The ride is firm and I do notice the imperfections in our crappy local MA roads, but I don't consider the ride either busy, noisy, or annoying, and the handling is superb. Any chance your car had the shipping blocks still in place?
      Do T5s actually have the dynamic chassis? If not, maybe the air suspension/4C is partially responsible? Or maybe it's going unnoticed?

Many reviews have echoed the experience TriShield had.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      Do T5s actually have the dynamic chassis? If not, maybe the air suspension/4C is partially responsible? Or maybe it's going unnoticed?

Many reviews have echoed the experience TriShield had.
      FWIIW, the car that CU so roundly trashed a few months back was also a T6 AWD Momentum with 18" wheels. Hard to figure why the T5 FWD Inscription with 20" wheels and summer tires rides so much better. @gunshow and I have essentially the same car and we have both waxed ecstatic about our rides. As per your question, I wouldn't put it past VCC to have tacitly substituted the Comfort chassis on Inscription models to provide a more luxurious experience.

And on other fronts, I managed to get 37.5 mpg at a steady 65 mph over 80 miles yesterday on 87 octane gas while driving to my dealer to get the free Sensus 2.0 update before the 5/22 cutoff date. I really love my T5 FWD. Maybe the route was mostly downhill with a tailwind. Yes, that must be why I get such great gas mileage.
      Current: 2017 S90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Blonde, Inscription, Vision, Climate, Convenience, B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Spoiler, 20" Rims
      Current: 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD, Seashell/Beige, Platinum, BLIS/CTA, Front Seat Heat, 18" Titania Rims, Urbane Wood Trim
      Past: 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5; 1981 245 DL

The thing that made me bring up that possibility is that Volvo put the Touring Chassis as standard on the P3 S60 T5 AWD, but the P3 S60 T6 AWD had the Dynamic Chassis as standard (at least this was the case early in production of that model). I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same thing with the S90. Since we didn't hear anything about the two chassis options until the MY18 was announced, I'm just questioning if we know for sure that both the T5 and T6 have the dynamic chassis.

What's this about Sensus 2.0 being free before 5/22?

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast