Question for the masses
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question for the masses

Would love to get an aftermarket front upper strut brace for my '13 XC90 2.3, but all I see are strut braces for '02-'12, like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RACING...hSz2Cu&vxp=mtr

So the question is: is there an aftermarket strut brace that'll fit the '13 3.2?

When I look at the two engine bays side by side (2.5T vs 3.2), I don't see anything on my engine that'll interfere with the strut brace. But I could be wrong... anyone have first-hand experience with this?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don't know if I'd consider myself one of the "masses" but I have that brace on my '07 3.2 and it fits fine with no issues.

-- DavidV

Quote Originally Posted by NickC View Post
      Would love to get an aftermarket front upper strut brace for my '13 XC90 2.3, but all I see are strut braces for '02-'12, like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RACING...hSz2Cu&vxp=mtr

So the question is: is there an aftermarket strut brace that'll fit the '13 3.2?

When I look at the two engine bays side by side (2.5T vs 3.2), I don't see anything on my engine that'll interfere with the strut brace. But I could be wrong... anyone have first-hand experience with this?
      I'm watching that very same item on eBay myself. But mine vehicle is an '03 and within the fitment years called out. I'm also looking at the lower rear and front brace... but thought that might be overkill.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/For-Volvo-XC90...%257Ciid%253A6

I came across the idea because I replaced the LCAs with aftermarket parts on eBay (Twice!!) and was still having front suspension issues. I eventually got it worked out by getting both OEM LCAs and struts but the ride is a thousand times better.
      Can I ask why you're looking to put the upper strut brace on? You may help me decide to purchase one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sorry for the thread jack, but what are the odds that the P80 adjustable strut tower bar from IPD will work on a p2 platform? It looks like I can unbolt a couple jam nuts and lengthen/shorten the bar. Do the tower bracket holes line up with the P2? Specifically asking in regards to a 2005 2.5T AWD
      PARTS WANTED 2/2017

Project: WanderWagen Reborn

If only Volvo would have included a check wallet light in the cluster...

Ask IPD?
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 175k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 110k

Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      Ask IPD?
      Realistically, if I had a P2 platform vehicle here (soon hopefully!) I could just pull the bar and try it...I'd prefer not to contact IPD for anything, they left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth when I contacted them last time (first time ever) and was basically told they weren't going to help unless I spent X amount of dollars on the part I was asking about first.
      PARTS WANTED 2/2017

2005 XC90 B5254T2 175k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 110k

Quote Originally Posted by DavidV View Post
      I don't know if I'd consider myself one of the "masses" but I have that brace on my '07 3.2 and it fits fine with no issues.

-- DavidV
      This is good news. I may just go ahead and get it. I'd prefer black, but it looks like only white is available.

rjosep01: I installed upper strut braces on my '04 S60R and it tightened up the entire front end. Like night and day. You won't regret the addition, trust me. Well worth the money.

And as far as the P80 upper strut brace fitting on a XC90, while the bolt holes line up, the strut mount appears to be a different configuration, so it's doubtful it'll fit over the portion that sticks out of the top of the strut. Also the cars are a different width, so the cross bar won't be long enough. I think it's easier just to purchase the correct bar that fits.

Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      Aye, Sir. That would be the one.

Thanks Nick, I had a feeling that may be the case in regards to length of the bar, which is why I was wondering if maybe I could crank the turnbuckles out to the very ends and make it work...I may try and fashion one out of a NOS (slightly damaged finish) Sparco bar that my buddy has and just modify the mounts on my P80 bar. Not sure I'm willing to buy one brand new (unless someone wants to take this one off my hands for the P80?) Dunno yet, we'll see if I end up with the 05 XC90 I'm looking at or not and go from there.
      Last edited by 95WanderWagen; 03-20-2017 at 11:04 PM.
      PARTS WANTED 2/2017

rjosep01: I installed upper strut braces on my '04 S60R and it tightened up the entire front end. Like night and day. You won't regret the addition, trust me. Well worth the money.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. Thanks for the post! And the input!
      Now I better get to eBay before you get the last one available!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rjosep01 View Post

rjosep01: I installed upper strut braces on my '04 S60R and it tightened up the entire front end. Like night and day. You won't regret the addition, trust me. Well worth the money.
      Good to know. Thanks for the post! And the input!
      Now I better get to eBay before you get the last one available!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

LOL! Got it already. It's on its way. I'll install it and report back with feedback and pics.

On the V8 the cross bar that supports the engine can be tied into the strut towers to provide that cross car rigidity in fact they have conversion kits that help with that already. Just a thought. Could save you some big bux!
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements