2016 V60 P* VS 2016 R-Design V60
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hey All! 1st post and am excited to be purchasing a Volvo V60 soon. I've always been a car junky but have a 1 and 3 year old now and need a little more room. I'm looking at the 2 cars listed below (both are T6). Hoping to get some real world feedback between the 2.. Currently leaning towards the P* as I wouldn't need to touch it with anything aftermarket(suspension, exhaust, etc). However, the cost of ownership is a little scary (19 inch snows, brembo brakes etc) I also carry bikes a lot and it seems the P* needs a little more work on the rear to make a hitch work (not even sure you can put a hitch on the P*). I like the color of the RD more but it doesn't have a back-up camera?!?!?! WTF???

Also, how does pricing look? I've already talked them down a fair bit...

Thanks in advance for any guidance. Hope to get a good discussion going!

http://www.steingold.com/certified/V...03ecd4b91e.htm

http://www.steingold.com/certified/V...9221df61fa.htm

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

As a 2015 T6 RD owner myself the answer is fairly simple in my estimation:

If you can afford the P*, get it.

Why? Because with few exceptions, all of us enthusiast RD owners wish we did, and immediately set out spending thousands of dollars to make the car sportier, more unique, and essentially as much like a Polestar car as we can . Wheel upgrades, P* splitters, mats and shift knobs, KW coilovers to get closer to the Ohlins, tuning boxes for more power, etc, etc the list is endless.

Don't get me wrong, the RD is an awesome car. But I got a screaming deal on mine (33.5k CPO) and the Polestar was (and is) completely out of reach to me and my family at this stage of my life. While I have a few complaints about the car, nearly every one would be addressed by it being a Polestar. The exception is interior build quality which seems to be fair-to-mediocre across the entire model range.

That osmium Grey does look DAMN good, but a black P* wagon will be gorgeous for the 15 seconds it stays clean after you finishing detailing it .

Either way, you've got 2 great choices; Knock em down a couple grand on the numbers and take your pick! Good luck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

I had the same debate when I got my V60 RD, the $15k difference (at the time) wasn't justified. The RD gives you more flexibility with wheel/tire options, provides roof rails allowing you to adjust the width of your cross bars. Brake and shock maintenance will be a little higher on the P*

I still want a P* and will probably pick one up at some point.

There are some new and used V60 RD models out there, many with a backup camera. $42k may be on the high side for one without the tech package. Adaptive cruise is a nice feature.

There may be some incentives on the 2017 V60 P*. Some dealers are more aggressive than others, $56-$57k was possible earlier this month.

I installed a hitch on my V60, Curt Hitch makes a nice setup, it sits a little low.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for both the replies. That's a great looking V60. Do you know how much lower the P* sits vs the RD? I won't need to worry about winter wheels until the 18/19 winter as I should still have a winter vehicle next year. I was already committed to the KPAX exhaust on the RD as I LOVE the sound but that's already $2k before install and 20% of the price difference between the RD and P*. Might as well spend 10k and get all the V60 options plus the P* upgrades. The Thule rack from my present vehicle will swap right over to the P*..

P* ftw. As others have said, if you can swing it, why not?
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former)

I love the Polestar. If you're going to modify the R-D you may as well go Polestar.

Not much need for rear camera, you have BLIS with F/R parking sensors, and the V60 rear glass gives excellent rear visibility.
      2016 Passion Red/Off-black S60 T5 R-Design
      2006 Ice White/Oak XC70
      1996 Polar White/Charcoal 854R
      Former: 1996 Bright Red 855R, 2003 Silver V70 T5, 2012 Black Sapphire C30 T5 R-Design 6MT P*

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
      Not much need for rear camera, you have BLIS with F/R parking sensors, and the V60 rear glass gives excellent rear visibility.
      I would strongly disagree with this. I'm not saying no rear camera should be a complete dealbreaker, but I find it almost imperative for day-to-day use given how poor the rear hatch visibility is alone.

IMO every one of these cars should come with it out-of-the-box. It is practically an industry standard on any car in this market segment these days.

2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

I completely agree with Young Satchel and I've been an R-D owner for only about 5 months. I'm very much looking forward to doing the same things and tune the R/D a little more. I too just can't make the P* swing right now but wish I could. I say if you can, do it. You'll enjoy driving it!

The big question that I had to keep in mind when I was car shopping was, does the wife like it too... The R-D was the only sporty sedan my wife gave 2 strong thumbs up on. She drives a Touareg but she takes my car more now so keep that in mind too ;-p

Have a loaded '16 V60 RD and it's a great car - by far the best of four Volvo's we've owned so far (previous was a tuned V70R). As above, wife thinks so too. She had taken one look at the Swedish racing blue P* in the showroom and said "no way".
      You would do fine with either V60. The brakes, the turbo, and especially the shocks/springs are the main differences with the P*, which are maybe $15k to retrofit and you won't have a 'true' P*, which should hold it's value more than the RD.
      On the other hand, with the RD you have a great family car that can be at least 90% as fun on anything short of auto crossing. For winter tires, I fit a set of 235/55-17 Michelin Xi3s with steel wheels (same width and diameter with higher sidewalls) for CAD $1000 and they were great.
      The 3.0 turbo 6 is a classic, but if it doesn't do anything for you, as also mentioned above, would try to get a deal on a '17 P*, which is a very different beast from a '17 RD.

KECA Kombi - Now '16 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Just a K&N filter so far, but love the PoleStar tune.

Polestar will be picked up Friday! They gave me a great price that I couldn't refuse. Excited would be an understatement!! Thanks for taking the time to post and I'll get some pics up ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridevt View Post
      Polestar will be picked up Friday! They gave me a great price that I couldn't refuse. Excited would be an understatement!! Thanks for taking the time to post and I'll get some pics up ASAP.
      Yeaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

Enjoy it man!

Echoing others - that seems like a high price for a CPO that doesn't have a backup cam or the tech package (mainly adaptive cruise). Polestar aside, that would be a deal breaker for me. Yeah the RD is pretty but it is instantly outclassed without those options IMO. I really thought they came standard on the RD - learn something new everyday

Current Fleet: 2007 XC90 V8 Sport (Titanium Gray); 2016 S60 T5 Drive-E Premium Polestar (Black Stone, Sport Pkg, Convenience Pkg, BLIS, Tech Pkg)
      Previously Owned: 2005 S60 2.5T AWD (Ice White)

Congrats on the new to you P*. I have owned both an RD and P* (in addition to two other P3 T5's) and they are great cars. I agree with the other posters. Just make sure you budget $2-4K for your winter set of wheels/tires and plan on shorter replacement intervals for the OEM PSS tires.

One tip for when you pick up the car - ask the dealership to set the shocks to 10/10 (front/rear) as that is what it should be coming from the factory. There is a description in the P* manual about the different settings. I have mine on 15/13 currently as it makes the ride a little softer on our frost heaved roads. Car is probably also due for it's first service so you may want to make sure that is done.

Enjoy the new ride!
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Congrats on the new to you P*. I have owned both an RD and P* (in addition to two other P3 T5's) and they are great cars. I agree with the other posters. Just make sure you budget $2-4K for your winter set of wheels/tires and plan on shorter replacement intervals for the OEM PSS tires.

One tip for when you pick up the car - ask the dealership to set the shocks to 10/10 (front/rear) as that is what it should be coming from the factory. There is a description in the P* manual about the different settings. I have mine on 15/13 currently as it makes the ride a little softer on our frost heaved roads. Car is probably also due for it's first service so you may want to make sure that is done.

Enjoy the new ride!

Thanks! I'm up in Vermont so maybe I should go 15/13? Or maybe start at 10/10 for a baseline?

Congrats! Some of us NH/MA members are trying to plan a little meet up this May - maybe you can join us!?
      Logan

2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Thanks! I'm up in Vermont so maybe I should go 15/13? Or maybe start at 10/10 for a baseline?
      I would start at 10/10 to establish a baseline but it will be pretty bumpy until after mud season (my parents live in VT) and the frost heaves settle down. Have fun with the new ride!
      Past Volvos: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60RM, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD
      Present Garage: '16 MX5 Club, '95 854 T-5R, '05 V70RGT, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      Congrats! Some of us NH/MA members are trying to plan a little meet up this May - maybe you can join us!?
      I'll be there if it works!! Where are you thinking?

I'll be there if it works!! Where are you thinking?
      We haven't gotten that far yet.
      Logan

2008 S40 2.4i - hers

We haven't gotten that far yet.
      Count me in!
      Daily Driver: 2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue / Black, 73k, "Roxy"
      Garage Queen: 1995 850 T-5R Cream Yellow / Black, 97k, "Daisy"
      Past: 2005 S60R Black Sapphire / Nordkap, 88k, "Peggy"
      Past: 2000 V70R Laser Blue / Black, 174k, "Vicky"
      Past: 2000 S70 GLT SE Moondust / Beige, 175k, "Sandy"

Quote Originally Posted by ckmack View Post
      Count me in!
      Great! Between our 2 rebel blues, we will represent probably 75% of the NE market for that color.
      Logan

2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      I would strongly disagree with this. I'm not saying no rear camera should be a complete dealbreaker, but I find it almost imperative for day-to-day use given how poor the rear hatch visibility is alone.

IMO every one of these cars should come with it out-of-the-box. It is practically an industry standard on any car in this market segment these days.

Strongly agree to your strongly agree!
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

Congrats! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

I purchase my P* in Vermont at Al Martin Volvo. Its a awesome car. Enjoy

Count me in too.

In as well
      2012 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design Hilton Tuned 310awhp/414awtq MOD PART OUT SOON.
      do88|FMIC|Ferrita|3.5" Downpipe, Quad Tips|ViVA Performance|StopTech 355mm BBK|3" Catback Res and Muffler Delete||pCRV Upgrade|KW|V3 Coilovers|IPD|Rear Sway|Snabb|3" Intake, High Flow Intake Box, Larger IC Piping|BBS|CIR2001

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
      I love the Polestar. If you're going to modify the R-D you may as well go Polestar.

Also completely disagree with the no rearview camera after driving the last year with one on my '13 RD S60. While yes you can use the mirrors just fine, the camera really is an advantage. The overall field of view is enhanced, as well as the camera being able to see better than your eyes in the mirror at night time. Don't skip out on that, Im even considering going with the front mount cameras as well soon

Id say go polestar if you can swing it. But honestly, I would find a used model under CPO with 20k on the clock and save yourself $15k with the same or better warranty....

Junior Member Idontlikemakingnames's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by CMOD_R View Post
      In as well
      I'd love to if I can make it. Im in the Eastern ma area.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

31. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements