Hi w/ a new to me XC90.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hi w/ a new to me XC90.

So a few months back, I was hit on the freeway & my Volvo V50 was totaled. I really liked some of the things about my Volvo wagon. I liked the great gas mileage, and was impressed with Volvo's safety features. I just wasn't too keen on it's small size and interior passenger space having come from driving a land Rover Discovery for many years. After seeing how hard I was hit and how well I was protected in the accident, I decided I should buy another Volvo. The XC90 seemed like a good fit with my want of a larger vehicle.

After doing quite a bit of reading on the various model years & engine configurations along with the assorted transmission issues, etc. I bought myself a 2006 2.5T & am happy as can be with it! It has 102k miles and runs and shifts so smooth its almost scary. The XC90 is so much more comfortable for my long commute & with the 2.5T the gas mileage is pretty impressive (to me anyways).

There are a few minor things that need done to it, but overall it has been well cared for.

- The driver's side seat side plastic is cracked (seems common & a cheap part). I just have to make sure of the correct part number before ordering a replacement.
      - The rear wiper kind of starts and stops along it's wiping path. I assume this is a failing motor or possibly a limit switch?
      - I need to pull the FM tuner box down and solder in an AUX jack. I listen to a lot of podcasts on my phone & this FM modulator thing I've been using the last few days is just horrible.
      - I'm not a huge fan of the dim halogen headlights. Can an aftermarket HID kit and a relay be popped in without causing problems?

This is what is most pressing: When I start the car, I get a message saying "alarm service required" or something close to that. I see on various sites that the battery in the alarm siren usually causes this, but that seems to be accompanied by the sunroof not working. My sunroof works perfectly fine. I haven't looked into this yet. I suppose I'll start with the fuse box and check to see if the fuse is blown/ missing.

I'll try to add some pictures soon. everyone likes pictures!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I hope i can shine some light.

Having owed 3 of these and still owning them, 2 of the 3 have suffered the cracked piece of plastic.
      Go to Amazon look for seat trim, find the color and just buy one from there they are around 20$ with free shipping and can be installed in about a 5min window. Not much to it. just 3 screws and some unclipping of plastic clips very simple.

Rear wiper. I would take the rear panel off and take the motor out and see if there is any rust on the motor. You may be able to clean, lube and reinstall and this could fix it although i wont guarantee 100%. Try that before you go rplacing the wiper motor.

For lighting, I would suggest you do a retrofit with parts from TRS. they have a MINI H1 V7.0 that bolts up to the low beam. You can heat the lamps for 5min at 200F in the oven and peel the lenses off since they are sealed using butyl rubber which softens to gooo once heated up. Use gloves as the lenses get quite hot.
      The entire process can be completed in a matter of 4-5hrs from start to finish.

Deff a yes for FM modulator, i have been meaning to do that on my 05 but now that my 2010 has built in bluetooth im spoiled and all the sudden lazy too!

I have read on the alarm thing you may have to check the module behind the passenger side headlamp. again take it appart look for rust or moisture and try cleaning it. It may fix it, otherwise there is a fuse somewehre that you can pull and that works too.
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

Prime mileage to do a full change on ALL fluids, inc. AOC and filter.

See http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/homeV3 for user manual and maintenance intervals.

At 102k, you're 3k away from the Volvo recommendation for new T-belt with tensioner and idler. Can get that done relatively quickly if not already performed, with or without a new water pump.

Alarm Service required, more likely than not you need a new Siren Module. Internal rechargeable battery leaks after a few years, electrolyte gets on the PCB. Some folks have had luck cutting the unit open, cleaning and replacing the battery. Mine was bad enough (traces eaten away on the PCB) that only replacement would resolve. Can always put VIDA/DICE on the car and confirm but more often than not, this ends up being the module, especially if the sunroof works but the alarm does not (with notification).

Aux in is pretty easy, if you don't feel comfortable soldering small surface mount parts, take the module out and let a TV shop do it.

For the wiper, give it an gentle grab while it's moving and see if you have gear teeth stripped. If yes and you have to replace the rear motor, try and find OE if you can. Got an aftermarket (Magnetti) replacement a few years back, lasted a whole month before it started dragging at mid sweep. OE is expensive, if you can find a used wiper from a post 2008 vehicle (goy mine from Erie), think you'll be happier than going aftermarket.

For the side panel, you'll go through one of these about every couple of years if you hop in the car and drag your butt over the side of the seat when you get in and out. Can repair but at average cost of $18 each, easier to buy new, as the repair will crack eventually at the exactly same spot. I have 2 XC90s, have gone through maybe 4 of these parts over the years and always keep a spare in the garage (both my interiors are charcoal, makes it easier).

2006 is a good year for the 2.5T XC90, good luck with your new (to you) car.

Good luck !
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 175k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 110k

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      Prime mileage to do a full change on ALL fluids, inc. AOC and filter.

See http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/homeV3 for user manual and maintenance intervals.

At 102k, you're 3k away from the Volvo recommendation for new T-belt with tensioner and idler. Can get that done relatively quickly if not already performed, with or without a new water pump.

Alarm Service required, more likely than not you need a new Siren Module. Internal rechargeable battery leaks after a few years, electrolyte gets on the PCB. Some folks have had luck cutting the unit open, cleaning and replacing the battery. Mine was bad enough (traces eaten away on the PCB) that only replacement would resolve. Can always put VIDA/DICE on the car and confirm but more often than not, this ends up being the module, especially if the sunroof works but the alarm does not (with notification).

Aux in is pretty easy, if you don't feel comfortable soldering small surface mount parts, take the module out and let a TV shop do it.

For the wiper, give it an gentle grab while it's moving and see if you have gear teeth stripped. If yes and you have to replace the rear motor, try and find OE if you can. Got an aftermarket (Magnetti) replacement a few years back, lasted a whole month before it started dragging at mid sweep. OE is expensive, if you can find a used wiper from a post 2008 vehicle (goy mine from Erie), think you'll be happier than going aftermarket.

For the side panel, you'll go through one of these about every couple of years if you hop in the car and drag your butt over the side of the seat when you get in and out. Can repair but at average cost of $18 each, easier to buy new, as the repair will crack eventually at the exactly same spot. I have 2 XC90s, have gone through maybe 4 of these parts over the years and always keep a spare in the garage (both my interiors are charcoal, makes it easier).

2006 is a good year for the 2.5T XC90, good luck with your new (to you) car.

Good luck !
      Thanks. I am planning to get all the fluids changed in the next couple of weekends. The timing belt was done at 100k miles, but I do not believe the water pump was changed while it was apart. Kind of a bummer, but I have't read much about the water pumps failing.

I do not have a VIDA/ DICE. I looked into buying one but the different versions, build quality, and prices made my head spin. I'm definitely open to a recommendation, if someone has one.

I'm planning to look into the wiper issue this weekend (weather pending) when I have the rear panels apart for the AUX jack. I need to pull that panel to get a backup camera fitted anyway so I figure I'll take a look then. There is an XC90 being parted not too far from me, so I may get lucky for OEM parts on the cheap.

I bought this one from Amazon and it works great! The price was a bit lower than most places on eBay and I got Prime shipping.
      2004 XC90 T6, 150k miles

Quote Originally Posted by atraudes View Post
      I bought this one from Amazon and it works great! The price was a bit lower than most places on eBay and I got Prime shipping.
      Thanks. This was the one I had been looking at recently. with Prime shipping it should be here Saturday.

It's been a busy week with work & I've been getting home late, so I haven't gotten a chance to do much with the XC. I did pull apart the center console and radio just to see what will be involved within getting cables where I'll need them for the AUX/ USB I'm planning to install. While I was in there digging around I took a look at the bluetooth kit that's installed. It's a Motorola HF1000 alng with a Volvo interface box of some sort. I wish I could figure out a way to highjack the wiring in/ out of the interface and get an audio input to the radio. Seem like that would be an option somehow. While I had things loose, I took the cup holder out and fixed the lid mechanism. I pulled out $2.87 in change from the innards of the cup holder. Score!
      2006 XC90 2.5T (mine)
      1999 Land Rover Discovery II SE7
      2007 Mercury Moutaineer Premium (wife's)
      2007 V50 2.4i (totaled 2/2017)

Not sure if you already know, but make sure the battery is disconnected before you disconnect any of the stereo components and that they're all hooked up again when you do reconnect the battery. Also, there's some steps to follow after reconnecting the battery or things can end up in a weird state. I'll try to find the steps if you need them.

Nice, it's paying for itself already! Just one gold bar hidden in the doors and you're home free I had to take my cupholder completely apart too and found a fossilized dollar bill and change that was stuck to the side. The cupholder was so crusty and gunked up it wouldn't move under its own power and didn't want to unlatch. After some extensive cleaning and regreasing it's buttery smooth again. It's amazing what a difference the small things make!
      2004 XC90 T6, 150k miles

Quote Originally Posted by atraudes View Post
      Not sure if you already know, but make sure the battery is disconnected before you disconnect any of the stereo components and that they're all hooked up again when you do reconnect the battery. Also, there's some steps to follow after reconnecting the battery or things can end up in a weird state. I'll try to find the steps if you need them.
      I read about the need to disconnect the battery when messing with the stereo connectors. I read it causes various SRS lights/ problems. I"ll have to do some more reading up on the procedure/ sequence before I start messing with anything. Thanks for the reminder!
      2006 XC90 2.5T (mine)
      1999 Land Rover Discovery II SE7
      2007 Mercury Moutaineer Premium (wife's)
      2007 V50 2.4i (totaled 2/2017)

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements